main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Mysterious Jabba the Hutt

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-Dispicable, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I have often wondered where Jabba gained his knowledge of the Jedi, I know he is long lived but he was able to recognize the mind trick attempt by Luke very easily. How does he know of Jedi skills, especially after a long period of time where the Jedi are considered to be extinct.

Another question would be, how did Jabba retain his power? By outward appearance he looks slow and vulnrable, but the PT shows us that the Hutts have a long history of power on Tatooine. Why?

What was the extent of Jabba's criminal organization? Is he like the Mafia, or is he more like a corrupt regeim in control of Tatooine?

Just a few thoughts, I would be interested in discussing more aspects of the Hutts as well.

2. QUI-GON_JEFF

QUI-GON_JEFF Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    Jabba was in the comic book "Outlander", which is set ten years before TPM, so he was around when there were still many jedi.

3. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I know that, but how does he seem to know their abilities? Did he have much interaction with them when they where around, I would not think that he would familiarize himself with Jedi practices.

Another thought just came up. When Luke goes to see Jabba in RotJ, it is assumed that they are extinct but Jabba does not seem suprised to see one. What is that all about, you would think that the reappearance of a Jedi in your own criminal fortress would make him a little nervous, but it does not. Any thoughts?

4. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Since Hutts live a lot longer than most speices in the Star Wars Galaxy I would think that Hutts as a group have watched the rise n fall of the Jedi n Sith maybe...so when Jabba was a baby slug other Hutts taught him about Jedi and what to do when you come in contact with one.

5. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Well Jabba was around 600 years old during ROTJ so he knew about the Jedi. As for the mind trick not working on him, I always felt that it was more his own intelligence and not his species that the mind trick did not work on him. The Jedi mind trick does not work on Watto's species but maybe it does work on weak minded Hutts. But Jabba was not week minded.

6. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I "Have killed Jedi before Your time"

7. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    If you read The Han Solo Trilogy (especially book 2: The Hutt Gambit) it will explain quite alot about the Hutts. If I remember correctly, Jabba was the only Hutt with a connection to Tatooine (might be wrong here), but the Hutts are native to a planet called Nal Hutta. There 'criminal' organisations runs over several world encompassing a large variety of trades and deals. The trilogy also explains in deatil alot about Jabba's imediate family and the Hutt ways of life, including the different groups within the Hutt species, mainly Besadii and Desilijic

Well worth a read ;)

Aside from that have a look in the unofficial encyclopedia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.