main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The mysterious voice from Balance Point (maybe spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by berkovw, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berkovw

berkovw Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 1999
    Not sure if anyone has brought this up, but I was reading the son of Anakin post, and someone mentioned the voice that the voice that speaks to Jacen in Balance Point was Anakin Skywalker. Based on what I've read of Traitor, I think that the voice that Jacen heard was actually Vergere and that it was a set-up of the eventual training that Jacen will recieve from Vergere.

What does everyone think?

2. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    i didnt even read BP. guess i should. and it probably was vergere unless jacen was just delusional(SP?)

3. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    The voice in Jacen's vision is described as sounding male, similar to Luke's voice but deeper. So, considering Vergere is a female, I doubt the voice was hers.

Actually, I'm starting to think it might have been the voice of Anakin Solo. Or failing that, maybe a future version of Jacen himself. So many possibilities...

4. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I've always wanted to think that voice was Anakin Skywalker's. Hopefully, now that the prequel trilogy is (almost) 2/3 done, NJO authors will have a little more freedom to refer to events that take place during that time period. I think if the voice was Anakin's, it would lend much more depth to an already grand story that's shaping up. I mean, the authors seem to make it look like there never were any Jedi anywhere before Luke, and that the Solo kids and their pals are the best ever. Well there were many generations of Jedi that I think would put the current crop to shame.

Oh yeah, the actual question! lol Yeah, Anakin Skywalker, definitely.

5. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

In a thread a while back, someone mentioned that Jacen projected a part of his inner self as that voice.

I like that idea.

6. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    I like that idea, too, Caine. It confirms what I've believed for a while now, Jacen is a schizophrenic.

:p :D

7. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I believe that it was the Light Side of the Force itself.

?A voice like Luke?s, but deeper, shook the heavens.? Also, the form that ?Good? took in the vision was Luke, except he was glowing. Just like the visual part of the vision took Luke?s form, except more so, the audio part probably did the same. It?s Luke, but not Luke.

The voices of Anakin and Luke sound different to me, and while there is a resemblance between Anakin and Luke, I doubt that Jacen would confuse the two. Why would Jacen see Luke?s body and hear Anakin?s voice? Generally, the simplest answer is the correct one, and in this case it probably means that Jacen is hearing Luke?s voice.

But Luke wasn?t actually saying anything; he was elsewhere at the time, doing other things. Once again, an argument might be made that if it?s not Luke, then it might be Anakin. But why would Anakin appear as Luke? Why not appear as himself? Jacen can sense that this is a vision sent by the Light of the Force; he?ll accept it even if he doesn?t quite know who the gent with the lightsaber is. That leaves the vision of Luke to be a direct manifestation of the Light Side of the Fore.

Why did the Force manifest itself as Luke? There are two possible reasons that I can think of.

The first is the more obvious, because Jacen views his uncle as being the epitome of what it means to be a Jedi Knight. Jacen sees Luke as being the embodiment of what it means to follow the Light Side, therefore when the Light Side manifests itself his perception of it is as his uncle.

The second is less obvious, and probably less likely, but it?s the explanation that I prefer. I believe that Luke represents the choice of Light; even his very name means Light. During the battle on the second Death Star, Luke represented good, Palpatine represented evil, and the task of the Chosen One was to Choose. Luke is the Choice of Light, and really is the embodiment of what it means to be a Jedi, not just in Jacen?s mind but in truth. And so when the Light manifests itself, its manifestation appears to be Luke Skywalker. It is not the ideal that resembles Luke, it is Luke that resembles the ideal.

8. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

[face_laugh] I wouldn't put it past him!

At the Galactic Holodrama Awards . . .

Jacen Solo, nominated for Best Actor, playing a schizo in the movie A Confused Mind :)

9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I asked Kathy Tyers but she was reticent. I hope it was Anakin Skywalkers though which I think is the simpliest solution.

Plus maybe we can see some more Anakin!

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My pet theory is that it Anakin Skywalker, atoning further for his crimes by aiding a figure who will prove decisive if he but finds his way, thus Anakin intervenes to aid him in this.

So, who reckons this plot nugget will be addressed in the remaining 7-8 NJO books? It ought to be, but I'm not sure that it will be.

Jedi Ben

11. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I think it was Bem 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.