main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Mystery

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Pevra, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    tldr Version: All the Star Wars movies have included elements of mystery and suspense. Lets keep it that way.

Long Version:

Anyone remember the long walk of R2 and C3PO on a forgotten desert planet? Or the dialogue about a chosen one in TPM? Every Star Wars film involves mystery and sometimes even multiple mysteries, that serve to make the galaxy appear deeper, more complex than it would without these open questions, Heroes are unsure about things and that in turn makes the audience unsure about the perceived reality of the universe. Just like in real life, it appears as if you can never understand the surrounding completely. There will always be something strange out there to defy expectations.

And this is imo key. A world with countless questions will feel more real.

But now the question arises which questions will be asked in the ST?

I got a few suggestions and am also curious about others suggestions.

How can it be that the Sith have survived?
    Why did the Chosen One destroy the Jedi order, just to destroy the Sith order afterwards?
    What is the will of the force?
    How did the Empire manage to subjugate the entire galaxy? Did they have invisible allies?
    Is the Skywalker family chosen by the force and for what purpose?
    What did Vader and Palpatine do in the twenty years of their rule?

Not all these questions should have concrete answers. How a question is answered is another matter entirely.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    1. Secret apprentice
    2. Went against his destiny and later went back to his destiny.
    4. Moore and Amedda
    6. If it's stuff that's already known in-universe, it should be explored in movies taking place in between ROTS and ANH.

3. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well yes, you can give the viewers the answers on the silver platter. But you can also build a mystery centering these questions. Or subvert the obvious answers.

The goal for the screen writers is not to answer everything immediately, but to create tension and interest.

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I definitely agree there should be mystery or (ies) and one reason why Mr. Mystery Box is a great choice is because he knows how to develop far-reaching mystery. See LOST as exhibit #1.

Also, I want the current series to reach beyond Episode 9 thus I do NOT want everything to be wrapped up tidily in Episode 9. I would love for the over-arching storyline to extend beyond so we can have more movies afterward. Again, this is perfect for Abrams.

This is not accurate IMO. The Chosen One was to bring balance to the Force. I believe we will see this has been done NOT in destroying the Sith and the Jedi but in leaving only one of each who then multiply. Luke and a secret Sith apprentice. By the time of E 7 I believe each sect will have multiple followers, thus bringing balance to the Force by eliminating the Sith rule of Two.

My understanding of the Force is that it doesn't have a "will" per se, but can be used like a tool for Good or Evil. I believe in the GFFA midichlorians are the base constituent of the universe itself -- the fabric of the cosmos. Therefore the Force is a natural "force" or element just like gravity, electromagnetism or the weak and strong nuclear forces.

They had plenty of allies. In ROTJ we see a contigent of Imperial dignitaries who supported the Empire.

I may come back to this thread later with some mystery ideas of my own . . . .

Dra--- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  5. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Does the force actually have a will of its own, or does it simply obey those who learn to control it?

Darth Raiden and Darth_Pevra like this.
  6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The cave implies that the dark side has a will of its own.
    Might some of them have survived?

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Absolutely! In fact I've been saying for over a year now that I suspect a civil war in which three major factions are fighting for control over the galaxy:

1- The Rebel Alliance = The New Republic
    2- Imperial loyalists = remenants
    3- A power hungry group such as Black Sun, the Hutts or Mandalorians

[​IMG]

Now, maybe not these exact ones, but their world/race.

[​IMG]

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's an exciting question, isn't it? :p

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Might Palpatine be a member of this race?

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Ain't he from Naboo?

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    At least we think he is...

Darth Punk and Darth_Pevra like this.
  12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've said time and again that I'd love for Luke to pass on his knowledge to his family, the NJO, and the like, before ultimately wandering off alone at the end of Episode IX (perhaps in a return to Tatooine, preferably to a soundtrack of "Binary Sunset") in the name of devoting himself to the will of the Force and the study of its mysteries.

It could work as a set-up for any possible SST, of course, and if Episode IX concludes the Skywalker Saga, then it would please me to no end to have the opportunity to have Luke's ultimate fate left to my own imagination.

So in short, this is one mystery I'd like to see addressed, but without ever really supplying us with a concrete answer.

Immortiss likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The Sith's survival is the most intriguing mystery for me. I think if the first scene in the film is a Sith Lord ripping through a spaceship or something it might feel a bit jarring in relation to the ending of ROTJ where the last two known Sith are destroyed. That's why I think they should ease their return slowly into the first film. I like the idea that similar to TPM everyone just assumes the Sith are gone. Everyone that is except for the one person who witnessed their destruction first hand. Luke has never been able to accept the extinction of the Sith and he's delved deeper and deeper into Sith lore to try and anticipate a way they could return. After he's proven right, the how of their return and a way to beat them for good this time could be the underlining mystery of this trilogy.

14. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    But can you beat them for good? Isn't that like a "war on terrorism" (or drugs)?

You can extinguish a current Sith's reign, but I'm of the mind that you can never truly rid the universe of the threat. Younglings tend to get killed when one starts believing they are extinct.

I do agree that the Siths' entrance should be...shall we say...like that of a phantom.

Darth_Pevra and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Something that's indestructible yet keeps on convincing everybody that it's extinct would truly be a mary sue.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, he may not be able to find a way to beat them "for good", but it could be interesting to see him try. The dark side, like evil, probably cannot be truly erased... so the risk may always be there for future Sith unless someone like Luke can find a way to stop Force sensitive people from falling to the dark side, learning about Sith history, and progressing down that path.

Darth_Pevra and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree that the Sith will probably never be destroyed for good because as long as there is a dark side there's going to be someone who uses it. They may call themselves Sith or they may call themselves something else but when it comes down to it it's really the same thing. I guess what I meant was this current incarnation of Sith that needs to be destroyed so the galaxy can recover from the wounds its received from the decades of almost none stop war. But the Sith will return eventually (hopefully not in the Skywalker's life time because after the ST damn they'll deserve some peace :p) because it's the never ending struggle between good and evil that keeps the GFFA interesting.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I like that idea. Luke, the crazy old master who people think was traumatized by the events he witnessed, is the only one to believe in the return of the Sith. Everyone else dismisses it. But not so Luke, who has directly seen their power and the horror they incorporate.

But is he really crazy or the only sane man?

Dundundun

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    So only Sith have the capacity to be evil?

20. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    As long as there are Jedi, Sith will be out there somewhere. I really want to see Luke take on sith, Other than beating up his dad and getting force lightning from sidious. I wrote ideas in Ep.7 plot ideas, But i could see a Battle for mortis between sith and jedi and control over the force type thing. Maybe luke will bring balance once and for all, Possibly bringing Dark and light into balance like DOTJ

Unify sith and Jedi then bring in the vong.

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    No, but the Sith are an iconic part of the franchise. They, like the Jedi and lightsabers and so on are what make SW unique. Without them SW would be even more like Babylon 5 or Farscape.

T-R- and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't believe I said that. There are many evil things big and small in the GFFA. From the Empire to a murderer, the Trade Federation to a thief, the Hutt Cartel to a small time pick pocket there's evil in all forms. But it's the Sith who are beneficiary's of all these bad emotions as the dark side feeds on them and gives power to it's followers and it's the Sith and Jedi conflict that's the backbone of the saga.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, exactly. But I gotta agree with darklordoftech that evil in SW shouldn't be reduced to the Sith. Tarkin and Jabba were quite important threats in their own right. Not everything should revolve around force users as then the danger of over-saturation is great.

On the topic of mysteries some could revolve about more mundane non-force things too. Like if we have an orphan character who the parents of it are.

24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    what if the mystery is how to stop the former Rebels/freedom fighters from turning into dictators once they are secure in power?

Lucas likes historical allusions, what with the republic's fall in the PT and the rebels fight in the OT. This could be a theme

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Not sure what's mysterious about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.