main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The "Myth" Of Luke and The OT

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jamminjedi23, Mar 15, 2017.

1. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    did I say he was still active? I said he was still active UNTIL his academy got destroyed which was not 30 years but rather something like 6 or 5 years ago I believe.

2. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Sorry, your arguments are just a bunch of logical fallacies. I tried to explain that to you, but you don't seem to care. You are trying to say because she is in the know about one thing she must be in the know about everything. That is not a valid argument. So I am sorry I read your comment incorrectly, it is difficult to care enough to make sure I read something correctly when you refuse to accept the flaws in your logic.

3. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    I'm sorry you think it's a flaw but I don't, . Luke Skywalker was not a minor character in the rebellion and it's crazy to me that he is thought of as a myth. Again I could see how his abilities and what he did was thought of as a myth but the man.

4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    You're confusing the resistance, with the new republic, Luke's new order and Luke himself. Which is just plain wrong, STARBOB. The Resistance is unofficially supported the Republic but not part of or in it. Knowledge of the Resistance does not necessarily mean knowledge of the facts of Luke Skywalker.

5. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    but since she has heard about Luke it would make more sense for her to have the same opinion about him like Han did about the Jedi. He thought the tales told about their use of the force was a bunch of simple tricks and nonsense, but he didn't believe the Jedi themselves were myths just their skills.

6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Why should she be like Han? You're just arbitrarily imposing attitudes and wisdom on to characters.

TheOneX_Eleazar and TCF-1138 like this.
  7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I can see Luke being 'mythical' in the same way someone like Billy the Kid or George Washington are - despite being real actual people the folklore and the (mostly false/exaggerated) stories are as well known if not more than the facts of their lives. In the same way (with sheer distance rather than time being the obfuscating factor) people are aware of a figure called ''Luke Skywalker'' and that he's kind of a big deal but what's true and what's not aren't always easy to spot - some false things are believed, some true ones are not.

8. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    The problem I think is that selling Luke and the events of the OT as "mythical" in this situation depends less on time and more on distance. You go back to ANH for example and the Clone War/Jedi feel very distant from Luke because Tatooine is such a backwater. The problem TFA has I feel is that it doesn't spend time showing Rey's isolation nore does it IMHO sell the size of its setting nearly as effectively.

9. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I wonder if there will ever be anything in Star Wars that makes the public realize and believe. Just what would that do? It seems that public display of major Force powers alone would be enough to make people submit, rather than hiding that and taking the route of doing things politically, building an army, lobbying for senators and global leaders to join,etc. That is what we haven't seen. We never saw how Vader and Luke could rule the galaxy as father and son, unless he just intended to do it like Palpatine was doing it.
    Anyway, I think it is very easy for a planet in a vast galaxy, even as populated and settled as this one, to be remote and for history to be distorted to the common person. Thirty years is a long time. It was about thirty years since we saw "Return of the Jedi."