main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Mythology Draft II: coming soon to a pantheon near you (Matchups underway)

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i don't suppose mine really needs any comments does it?

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't know which one is yours, but you should always comment - gives us more to go on.

3. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    beowulf killed grendal, tore his arms off, and then fought his mother underwater.

were i more capable of coherent thought i'd say more, but that's about what i've got right this second.

4. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I am guessing the general sentiment here is that Heracles > Beowulf > Grendal? I am hoping not, the transitive property makes me sad.

Man I hate always drafting the bad guys, they are usually slated to lose just becasue our society likes the good guys to win. Makes us feel good I guess. Well the baddies also hold off entire teams of the good guys all by them selves, in just about every story. I hope

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    And Nuada is the king of the Tuatha Dé Danann. He shouldn't really be on the hero list if Lugh is on the deity list, but whateva. Anyway, they fight monsters like Beowulf for breakfast. Plus he has that awesome sword. Plus, like, Freyr, who also has a pretty cool sword. If they'd get along. I dunno. I can't really remember why I paired these guys.

6. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Actually I think he was commenting on his match which includes Beowulf, I think???

Either way, it works for me too.

7. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah I know, I was just commenting on mine. I wasn't really expecting to take that one anyway. I like to see a chance in every match for a win personally, and if I see one worth fighting for I usually take the effort to try.

Never say never.

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Should have some judgments up later today or tomorrow. Any arguments before then would be much appreciated.

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    sorry for not getting anything else, my mind is completely on school and stuff at the hospital right now. if i lose i lose.

10. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Medusa. Stone. Strength and Weapons from Ares if for some reason it doesn't work.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Medusa Aligned W Mars VS Ceridwen aligned with Athena

Ceridwen and Athena are a good pair together. Great compatibility. That actually makes it close for me. However, I think I'm going to have to go with Medusa.

Heracles VS Grendel

I actually did look this up, but Heracles is, IMO, one of the powerhouses in this draft. Grendel isn't good enough.

Nuada Airgetlám aligned with Freyr VS Beowulf

My first instinct was to say Beowulf. He obviously has no problem ripping off peoples' arms. However, Nuada seems to be able to survive that. Even so, I'd give it to Beowulf fairly easily, if it wasn't for the alignment. That sword comes in mighty handy, and I do think those two could work well together. I think I am actually going with Nuada.

Gunther VS Fionn mac Cumhaill

This was the one I most wanted to see arguments on. But since there aren't any, I'm just going to go with Fionn.

12. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Medusa Aligned W Mars VS Ceridwen aligned with Athena

Ceridwen would have benefited from preparation, here, being of the old cauldron-and-stirring school of witchery. Sadly, without it, I don't think she stands much of a chance against Medusa.

Heracles VS Grendel

Grendel is impressive, I'll agree. If it were almost any other hero, he'd probably win, too. Unfortunately for him, Heracles has a long history of being perfectly able to solve problems with brute strength, though he's fairly bright, too. He's used to dealing with things that can't be killed with conventional weaponry, so Grendel doesn't get much of a surprise advantage here, either.

Nuada Airgetlám aligned with Freyr VS Beowulf

This is the closest match here, I think. Beowulf has the great strength, but Nuada has a pretty incredible sword. Or swords, depending on who you ask. Beowulf's swords, on the other hand, have a bad habit of failing him right when he needs them. Also, having a silver hand could come in...handy here. Given Freyr and his sword being thrown into the mix, as well, it's close, but I think I'm going to have to go with Nuada on this one.

Gunther VS Fionn mac Cumhaill

Not finding anything that impressive for Gunther. Nothing going into superhuman territory, anyways. Going to have to go with Finn McCool on this one.

In short: I agree with the above.

[hl=indigo][color=purple][b][u]Iliad Conference[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[b]The Stampeding Spirits[/b] [b](5)[/b] [u]VS[/u] [b][hl=yellow][color=white]Tyi-Maet_Nefer[/color][/hl][/b] [b](2)[/b]
    [b][color=crimson][hl=black]The Slayers of Beasts and Men[/hl][/color][/b] [b](2)[/b] [u]VS[/u] [b]The Eleven Forgotten Ghosts[/b] [b](5)[/b]

[hl=skyblue][color=blue][b][u]Odyssey Conference[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[color=green][hl=white][b]EmpireForever[/b][/hl][/color] [b](5)[/b] [u]VS[/u] [b][color=sienna][hl=gold]Blood, Mead, and Whiskey[/hl][/color][/b] [b](2)[/b]
    [b]The Doormats[/b] [b](3)[/b] [u]VS[/u] [b][color=silver][hl=green]Adbertos[/hl][/color][/b] [b](4)[/b]

[hr]
    Number [b]six[/b] is the last of our matches.

[hl=indigo][color=purple][b][u]Iliad Conference[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[b]Sojobo[/b] [u]VS[/u] [b][hl=yellow][color=white]Perseus[/color][/hl][/b]
    [b][color=crimson][hl=black]Diomedes[/hl][/color][/b] [u]VS[/u] [b]Ajax the Lesser (Prepared)[/b]

[hl=skyblue][color=blue][b][u]Odyssey Conference[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[color=green][hl=white][b]Orvar-Odd (prepared)[/b][/hl][/color] [u]VS[/u] [b][color=sienna][hl=gold]Gwydion aligned with Dagda (prepared)[/hl][/color][/b]
    [b]Egill Skallagrímsson (prepped)[/b] [u]VS[/u] [b][color=silver][hl=green]Bran the Blessed[/hl][/color][/b]

13. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Yeah, easy. So I'd like to take the time here to reiterate that the Oni is a demon that controls weather and can phase, among other things. I got shafted on amphisbaena, don't kill me here.

14. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Diomedes is considered to be second in combat only to Achilles. He beat Ajax the great. So he should be able to beat Ajax the lesser.

15. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I don't....uhh, what?

16. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Is that response to me chim? If so my response will be wiki him.

17. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    My response to your response of wiki him is to wiki him. Ajax the lesser is not named the Lesser because he wasn't a lesser fighter than the other Ajax. It was just a way to distinguish them.

If the Wiki is what you want the wiki is what you get. According to the Iliad Lesser Ajax was the fastest, next to Achilles, in the Trojan war and just as skilled with his spear. Being prepared gives him the jump on Diomedes here in my opinion. He has the skills to put up a good fight and maybe even win 5/10 matches against Diomedes UNPREPARED, but with the prep...I think it is a push.

18. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Argueably the major trait of Ajax the lesser is that he is fast. Being fast does not neccesarily make you good at fighting, neither does being able to throw a spear well. It is fairly well known that Achilles, Ajax the Great and Diomedes were the best fighters on the trojan side. Ajax and Diomedes are often thought of as equals and it is only that Diomedes beat Ajax in a fight at the funeral games of Patroclus that some argue he is better.

19. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Judgments up tomorrow, sorry about the wait. Also, nice arguments. Good arguments. I like arguments.

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    just like to say gwydion is a uber magician who's connected with the celtic god of magic and he's prepared. he can make an army of trees. or many other things. i believe that gwydion prepared is not going to be very easily beaten when he has time to prepare something for his opponents weakness.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Then the Trojans must really have not had it together, since these guys were Greeks :p

Judgements up tomorrow for me too; last-minute arguments are helpful (especially from those we haven't heard from).

22. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    [face_blush]

You know what I mean :p

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I know, I'm just teasing [:D]

24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Sojobo VS Perseus

Perseus seems to rely on his brains and magic items more often than his strength, and without preparation, I don't think he does that well here. Given Sojobo's considerable tengu powers and sword skills, I think he can outfight Perseus.

Diomedes VS Ajax the Lesser (Prepared)

This is probably the most difficult match here. Even unprepared, Diomedes is pretty tough, and he's not exactly a bad spearman himself, either. Ajax is prepared, but I don't think he's going to surprise Diomedes. That having been said, I'm not convinced Diomedes will be able to hit Ajax, either, given the kind of speed he's capable of. Taking both speed and preparation into account, I'm going to have to give this one to Ajax, unless somebody can dig up some similar speed feats for Diomedes.

Orvar-Odd (prepared) VS Gwydion aligned with Dagda (prepared)

As far as I can tell, Gwydion is not immune to arrows. Orvar-Odd's magic arrows are said to always hit their target and return to their sender on their own. Given the fact that Orvar-Odd is pretty capable in close combat, as well as archery, and I can't find anything from Gwydion or Dagda that would give him a win before Orvar-Odd can let off an arrow, I'm going to have to give this one to the archer.

Egill Skallagrímsson (prepped) VS Bran the Blessed

Apart from being big, there don't seem to be that many good feats for Bran. Egill, on the other hand, can apparently dispatch upwards of about a dozen men without great difficulty. Taking the circumstances of Bran's death into account, I think Egill can take this.

25. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    I do have a point.

If Ajax was such a good fighter why didnt he fight Diomedes in Patroclus's war games. Surely if he could beat him he would, to prove the point. Instead of losing a race against someone else, albeit with divine intervention.

Also Iv not seen one piece of literature that has said that Ajax the lesser is second only in fighting ability to Achilles. Not one, and I'v checked. Surely if he is such a good fighter he would have his name written there rather than Ajax the Great and Diomedes.

Also Im not really sure how prep helps Ajax here. Its not like Diomedes has a weakness that Ajax can exploit. And if as you say speed is his best asset. Why would he not use it anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.