main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Mythology Draft II: coming soon to a pantheon near you (Matchups underway)

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Why didn't he fight Diomedes? I don't recall him getting a say in the matter. Two of the best warriors were requested, and Ajax the Lesser was only not one of first two to step forward. It appears that either Diomedes stepped forward second, or both stepped forward at the same time, so he wouldn't have even gotten a chance. We're not talking a tournament-style match here, it's not like Ajax directly turned down a fight with Diomedes because he didn't think he was good enough. For all we know, he could've gone off to clean the dung from his face and wasn't even there at the time.

The fighter with greater physical strength in battle or the more renowned fighter is not necessarily always going to be the winner in this draft, or in any draft, really. Such things don't help much if your opponent is too quick to catch and pokes you to death, or if your talents are simply unsuited to fighting the selected opponent.

2. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    I still think your far overating Ajax's speed too. So what if he's faster. Its not like Diomedes is a big juggernaut that is unable to block fast attacks. Infact if you look at most fights through any known literature and games. Fast guys are beaten by slower more powerful guys. Just because someone is faster doesnt mean he gets an autowin.

3. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I don't think I'm much overrating him, given the kind of legendary speed he's been compared to, with Achilles.

Other judges? Care to...well, judge?

4. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Not that it will really help things since there are other matches but I will concede my match if need be? I already locked up the win for the Round so I don't mind.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Sojobo VS Perseus

Strength of a thousand tengu and all that.

Diomedes VS Ajax the Lesser (Prepared)

I would give this to Diomedes, if it weren't for the fact that Ajax is prepped. They seem to be close enough in skill that prep means something here, gives Ajax an edge.

Orvar-Odd (prepared) VS Gwydion aligned with Dagda (prepared)

They're both prepared, which IMO helps Orvad-Odd more, since he's better to begin with. I don't really know what Dagda can do for Gwydion, but I don't think he can secure Gwydion a win.

Egill Skallagrímsson (prepped) VS Bran the Blessed

Yeah, I second loyal - I don't see great feats of awesomeness from Bran, but Egill is a berserker.

6. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    How does it give Ajax an edge exactly??

These guys know each other already. Its not like they have from different armys.

Ughh I give up on this draft. [face_plain]

7. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    That's one of the problems with a draft like this. Unless there's a noted power or intelligence or whatever difference, it's hard to tell which of just 2 fighters would win. It's not like they have this huge history. It's 1 or 2 battles.

8. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    So you're really having a hard time seeing how prep might give him an edge here... seriously?

Ok we have two decently matched fights, one is said to be faster one is supposed to be stronger, both great fighters. I probably give a slight edge to Diomedes probably taking 6/10 matches if they just flat out fought. Either way it is pretty close to a push in that sense, physical attributes, abilities and feats. So really depending on the judge it could go either way. But with the prep time thrown in it goes the other way and gives Ajax a definitive edge over him. Ajax has time to plan his attack, get some weapons and armor, all the good stuff. Going into a fight blind is never good, having a plan always helps it always makes a difference.

I just don't see how you wouldn't understand that with warrior matches so closely here how prep would push the battle in the prepared warriors favor. I also don't know why you are so concerned with this match because 1. I already said I would concede the match and give you the win if that was an issue B You've lost already anyway.

9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Iliad Conference

The Stampeding Spirits (6) VS Tyi-Maet_Nefer (2)
    The Slayers of Beasts and Men (2) VS The Eleven Forgotten Ghosts (6)

Odyssey Conference

EmpireForever (6) VS Blood, Mead, and Whiskey (2)
    The Doormats (4) VS Adbertos (4)

And that leaves: a team battle for our last pair.

[b]The Doormats[/b][b][/b]

Cúchulainn, Guan Yu, Jason, Wayland Smith, Hector, Egill Skallagrímsson, Gunther, and Romulus ALIGNED WITH Manannán mac Lir, Hephaestus, and Apollo (Greek)

[u]VS[/u]

[b][color=silver][hl=green]Adbertos[/hl][/color][/b]

Fionn mac Cumhaill, Bran the Blessed, Cormac mac Airt, Griffin, Étaín, Oisín, Melampus, and Scáthach ALIGNED WITH Morrígan, Hermes, and Fortuna

10. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Firstly to address the last point there. Its a matter of principle.

Secondly, ok Ajax is not prepared with a deity. So I do not take the arguement about armor lightly. The guys are going into battle. Its not like they are going to go in with papermaché armour. They will go in with the best they have got. Secondly knowing that his opponent is Diomedes will not make much difference given that he knows him anyway. If it was anyone else, who was so close to Diomedes. I would agree that prep would help. But in this case, he doesnt actually gain anything that he doesnt already know, or would know as soon as the match started.

11. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Well ok then.

12. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Will try and get judgments up tomorrow. Any arguments before then would be appreciated.

13. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    The Doormats

Cúchulainn, Guan Yu, Jason, Wayland Smith, Hector, Egill Skallagrímsson, Gunther, and Romulus ALIGNED WITH Manannán mac Lir, Hephaestus, and Apollo (Greek)

VS

Adbertos

Fionn mac Cumhaill, Bran the Blessed, Cormac mac Airt, Griffin, Étaín, Oisín, Melampus, and Scáthach ALIGNED WITH Morrígan, Hermes, and Fortuna

First off, in terms of divine assistance, the point goes to the Doormats. The quality of the items that they can supply their team with far exceed what Adbertos' gods can do for them. In terms of individual matches, both teams run about even for the number of high-end fighters they possess, though Cúchulainn gives a considerable advantage to his side. Now, if it were solely individuals we were measuring, this would probably be quite difficult. Adbertos probably has an overall higher number of good fighters, but the Doormats have some truly exceptional warriors that have dealt with insane numerical disadvantages before. The items supplied by Manannan and Hephaestus combined with Apollo's powers, however, tip it firmly onto the side of the Doormats, I think, so my vote goes to them.

14. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
  15. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    So I am thinking this is single elimination style right? RIGHT?!

16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    You're in luck, Chim, I've been thinking the same thing. I don't know if we could get through it if we didn't.

Officially round robin in the rules, though, but if nobody objects to a change in format...?

17. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Huzzah! You have my support sir. I was greatly horrified when I noticed I sent my numb3rs in back in mid December and this started in November....

18. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    TBH, we would be able to carry on if we got judges that actually judged.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry, I keep missing the thread when it's bumped [face_blush] Anyway, I agree - the Doormats have the knockouts and the alignments necessary to win here.

20. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    True, perhaps, but the odds of finding a full roster of new judges to back up our existing set, and of this problem not simply arising again, are not good. So, we make do with what we must.
    Congratulations, Stampeding Spirits, Eleven Forgotten Ghosts, EmpireForever, and Doormats. You have emerged victorious. Please proceed out the door on your right.

Tyi-Maet_Nefer, Slayers of Beasts and Men, Blood, Mead, and Whiskey, and Adbertos, we thank you for your participation and hope you enjoyed your stay. Please proceed out the door on your left.
    [hr][hl=indigo][color=purple][b][u]Iliad Conference[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[b]The Stampeding Spirits[/b] [u]VS[/u] [b]The Eleven Forgotten Ghosts[/b]

[hl=skyblue][color=blue][b][u]Odyssey Conference[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[color=green][hl=white][b]EmpireForever[/b][/hl][/color] [u]VS[/u] [b]The Doormats[/b]

Numbers in 24 hours, please.

21. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I can't remember my team. Except Amphisbaenot.

22. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Iliad Conference

The Stampeding Spirits VS The Eleven Forgotten Ghosts

Odyssey Conference

EmpireForever VS The Doormats

Dialing number [b]one[/b].

[hl=indigo][color=purple][b][u]Iliad Conference[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[b]Garmr Aligned w/Jade Emperor [/b] [u]VS[/u] [b]Jörmungandr ALIGNED WITH Oceanus[/b]

[hl=skyblue][color=blue][b][u]Odyssey Conference[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[color=green][hl=white][b]Kitsune[/b][/hl][/color] [u]VS[/u] [b]Guan Yu ALIGNED WITH Manannán mac Lir[/b]

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Very interesting. I'd especially like to hear arguments on the first one.

24. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Well this is an interesting one for sure. Two world ending monsters of the Ragnarok clashing, both with godly alignment. Sheeesh I don't even know how to argue this one. Yak loves this but...coin flip?

25. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Jormungandr seems to be a bit better in terms of power. My alignment is definitely better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.