main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Mythology Draft II: coming soon to a pantheon near you (Matchups underway)

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    And why is that?

2. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    He... Is the supreme power of pretty much everything in his earth, and Oceanus is a sea deity that apparently is easily intimated by Heracles.

3. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Well I am thoroughly convinced, especially since Heracles is here... :rolleyes:

Anyway, what is this beast gonna get from him though? The power to do anything? My pairing are at least related in that what the God is the God of here is what Jorm is all about.

4. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    But we're not fighting in water...

And I'm still not sure exactly what the deities are allowed to do. The opening statement... Does not explain it.

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Not a whole lot. Minor elemental manipulation and enhancing the abilities of their aligned fighter (if the deity in question has done such things before), and supplying relevant artifacts and items, mostly. Well, that's my interpretation of it, at least. The other judges may differ, as it's mostly left up to individual opinion.

Will try and have judgments tomorrow.

6. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Yeah... So basically I should just put up Jade Emperor's Wiki and the judges will decide whatever they want to let him do I guess...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Emperor

7. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    So are you arguing that the Jade dude is gonna give the dog, typically something that couldn't think it's way out of a wet cardbord box, all the powers in the universe AND the ability to think and reason so he can use them? I don't know about that...

At least my god has given/shown the ability for hydro-kinesis and manipulation of water on a MASSIVE scale.

8. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, okay, doesn't matter to me.

9. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Iliad Conference

Garmr Aligned w/Jade Emperor VS Jörmungandr ALIGNED WITH Oceanus

Garmr is often compared to Fenrir, or even said to be him, but there are no specific details stating that Garmr's size is comparable. Jörmungandr, on the other hand, is a really big snake. I don't think either deity does much here, given that both are beasts, and unless I'm missing something making Garmr out to be equally large and formidable, I'm going to have to go with the big serpent. Jörmungandr.

Odyssey Conference

Kitsune VS Guan Yu ALIGNED WITH Manannán mac Lir

This is honestly the match I was more interested in. If it were Guan Yu alone, I'd probably be strongly inclined to give it to the Kitsune. Given the presence of Manannán, however, an expert in matters of magic, illusions, and invisibility, I'm not sure how well the Kitsune's natural abilities will be able to work here. The items he can supply Guan Yu with pretty much ensure that he'll be able to inflict some serious damage, and he won't be fooled that easily by any tricks the Kitsune tries. Kind of a fun battle, with both sides being able to turn invisible. Probably a very close fight, but I think Guan Yu, with Manannán's advice, magic items, and a good deal of active support, just manages to narrowly come out ahead.

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'd really like to see some argument on the first match, but otherwise, I'll judge tomorrow.

11. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I don't know what to argue. My deity is the closest thing to actually all-powerful on this list, but I don't know what he's allowed to do.

12. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Safest bet: just pick out any specific instances where he directly aided someone (without, you know, erasing the enemy from existence or something equally crazy) or provided them with something useful.

13. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah its like I already said and I think TLI hit on... whats the Jade Emperor gonna do for him? Give him all the powers in the world? They are useless since he is a beast, unless like I also said he is also going to get the brain capacity to know he has unlimited powers or the capacity to use them.

The deity alignment doesn't seem to do much with beasts. Since they can't directly attack or affect the opponents its not as useful here as it would be on character that could use thee powers.

14. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Um... Fenrir was clearly sentient, and Garmr is at very least related to it. I'd assume Jormungwhatever is sentient too, but there's at least every reason to believe Garm is. But, eh, I'll have to look. I do recall Jade changing landscapes and stuff, and creating people, but yeah specificity I don't have right now. And I don't really feel like looking actually. Yeah, I'll take the L

15. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Quickly overviewing his wiki because I'm waiting for people... Jade Emperor created the Milky Way galaxy in one myth. In another myth he made landscapes more inhabitable and profitable for humans. His power is enough to make the whole earth tremble without trying, in a battle. In another myth he made humans out of clay. So, I'm pretty sure he could make the battlefield something very bad for the seafaring Jorm, and there'd really be nothing Oceanus could do about it considering he's a water deity and Jade has that and earth, and space, at least depending on the myth...

And also since Jade can make people, and galaxies, and pretty much anything, I think Garm would come in with some ridiculous armor composed of the strongest materials Jade could create. Even reinforced armor that shines with a blinding light (Jade is big on light).

And I realize that back then they didn't know about the strongest metals and things like that, but since Jade made a whole galaxy (again, in one myth) and can make stuff like people out of clay and has massive alteration ability, he should be able to make anything on this or any other planet, whether it was known about or not at the time.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I dunno - Jor is as big as the whole world. I don't think the Jade Emperor's earth manipulation can hurt him too much.

So, I agree with Loyal.

17. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Wondering how something as big as the world is still... On the world. Stupid myth. But, fair enough.

18. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Because it's not literally as big as the world. It's as long as the world.

Also...yeah.

19. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Big as the world, long as the world, it still makes no sense.

20. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    It's a myth. They have no basis in fact, never mind sense.

21. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Iliad Conference

The Stampeding Spirits (0) VS The Eleven Forgotten Ghosts (1)

Odyssey Conference

EmpireForever (0) VS The Doormats (1)

Calling on number [b]two[/b].

[hl=indigo][color=purple][b][u]Iliad Conference[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[b]Cyclops (Steropes) (prepped)[/b] [u]VS[/u] [b]Achilles ALIGNED WITH Hades[/b]

[hl=skyblue][color=blue][b][u]Odyssey Conference[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[color=green][hl=white][b]Hikaru Genji aligned with Odin[/b][/hl][/color] [u]VS[/u] [b]Wayland Smith ALIGNED WITH Hephaestus[/b]

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry, meant long as the world (which I take to mean it can wrap itself around the world).

23. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I should win this. Chim will disagree.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You have Cyclopes? Yeah, I'd definitely want an argument for that; I'm more than leaning toward Achilles.

25. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, my cyclops is actually smart, for one thing. As in, he and his 2 bros built the weapons for Zeus (bolt), Poseidon (trident) and Hades (helmet). And the gods were scared of these cyclopses. As in, mortally afraid. I don't think anything strong enough to take a Greek god would really need to be scared of Achilles, what's he gonna do? Be invisible? Yeah, Steropes can make that too. He can probably make a counter, since he's so intimately acquainted with the helmet. He could poison Achilles, or drown him, or any number of things. Hit him with a lightning bolt in his ankle.

Oh wait, that's right. Achilles' outsides are the only invulnerable part of him. Pull a Heracles and just Nemean Lion him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.