main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Mythology Draft - [winner: EF]

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Tyi-Maet_Nefer, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    Where are you guys getting this liquid poison? All i've seen is poison as a gas.

Jorg, posioning the air, Jorg poisoning Thor with his last breath. The poison I see is air borne, which my guy neutralizes by not breathing that air. I've seen nothing of it being a contact poison. All I've seen is breathing it and swallowing it kills one. And with his own air source I dont see this happening. Even snake venom isnt poisonous untill it's inside you. and being invulnerable will help with that.

Just throwing that out there, dont know if it will matter in changing your opinions.

2. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    The mark-ups don't work on the other account. :p

Jörmungandr aligned with Oceanus vs Sigurd aligned with Aether

I like Bob's ideas, I always do. I don't need to judge this, but the main point here is that the silly snake's venom pours out everywhere. Sigurd's healthy breathing only goes so far without prep. I do think it's valid; having the better air flowing into him and there being an improvement of the lungs. But it can't repel poison. It only helps fight it. That much poison can't be fought ... it's got to be voided. Oh, but I would assume that Gram would cleave through Jorm.

Edit after writing that: I've just realised Bob posted something on the other page ( :p). That's actually a good point, I kind of assumed from everyone else that it was liquid based. Arie, or somebody, do you mind still answering this point even though the battle is over?

Wayland Smith aligned with Ra (prepared) vs Cuchulainn aligned with Njord

While it could be an underestimation of Wayland, EF, we also don't want to overestimate him. Especially not against this guy. Cuckoo is one ... I'd say, in the equal top three ... of the best fighters/duellists in the entire draft. While Wayland's defence will be great, Cuckoo's attack is better (to say it in simple terms).

Cuchulainn & Njord

Lernaean Hydra aligned with Fortuna vs Theris Nordo Ichk aligned with Anubis

Yeah, Theris is a bit of a mystery. But I'll just say agree here ... the regeneration of the Hydra's heads is its advantage. Anubites are extremely agile though (and this guy is strong, too), so that's why I believe it would be possible for him to harm the beast ...

Lernaean Hydra &Fortuna

Beowulf aligned with Freyr vs Achilles aligned with Menthu

So I guess this is the battle I really needed to judge.

As always, Nem argues it well. It makes it tougher than all get out.

I'll say straight off the bat that Achilles is my vote, however. To try and justify that ...

This has to be a sword fight. There's no other way these two excellent combatants could battle it out. And in the end, Achilles is a better sword fighter. It's true that Achilles didn't fight as many battles or live as long as Beowulf, but even so, throughout all of the mythologies around Achilles he is second to none. All the great battle kings - Ajax, Diomedes, Odysseus - are behind him in skill. If their experience was taken into account, or their time spent leading a kingdom, it still doesn't mean they could best Achilles.

Beowulf is stronger than Achilles. His alignment probably heightens that. The stamina of the two of them would both be extremely high. Beowulf's underwater fight is an impressive feat, however. But I don't think there would be enough of a difference here where that would matter.

I disagree with Hammu on a point. These characters are taken at peak. It's a draft rule, really. Achilles' battle rage after Patroculus' death might have been a special moment, but it's certainly an indication of where he can go. It didn't require outside forces or some enhancement of some kind ... it was all done by Achilles in reaction to an event.

As well, Scamander is a god. The monsters Beowulf fought never were. I don't know any specifics about Achilles' run in with Scamander, so I can't say too much about it. But god vs monster is a slight difference to me. Still, Beowulf would be much better at dealing with Scamander, that is true.

I don't think Freyr gives enough of a boost to Beowulf for a victory. If it was anoth

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I guess I am just curious about him, and am trying to get someone to say something more than "he is the best fighter in the draft" so I don't have to go look myself. But I guess when I get a minute I will do that.

4. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I guess I saw that coming. Good match though, and a good debate, too :p

5. SWBob

Jun 19, 2003
    Oh, well Its down to me winning this next one. I'm confident. Though I havent been paying much attention on who the next opponent is.

*wonders*

With the judgeings up wanna post the next match?

[face_praying]

6. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    EDIT: Done it twice now :-(

7. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I think EF was talking about his own match, and hence referring to Cuchulainn :)

8. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I always enjoy the judgments that read like they are voting a certain way until you get to the bottom and as it turns out they are actually voting against you.

9. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Well, I've found a few references to Jormungandr's poison in liquid form. A few accounts of it dripping from his mouth, and a couple descriptions of Thor "drowning" in Jormungandr's venom.

Well, I suppose I didn't phrase that the right way. The point is, his 'peak' came in response to the death of Patroclus, and his wrath was directed entirely against Hector and against Troy. So we wouldn't see Achilles in the same form unless Beowulf killed Patroclus right before this battle. Which I don't think the draft rules cover.

10. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Oh, well Its down to me winning this next one. I'm confident. Though I havent been paying much attention on who the next opponent is.

*wonders*

11. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    I forget who I have left. I'm pretty sure it's Arthur, so that's probably a lock, but I like my team a lot, so that feels like a lock to me as well.

12. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    I have Caeneus left I beleive, with Iris.

So better hope you have someone who doesnt rely on weapons otherwise your screwed.

13. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Me am EmpireForever. Me am not you enemy. Me am you friend.

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Once again, I need this name for mark-ups. :p

<h2>PLAYOFFS</h2>

[hl=black][i][b][color=MediumAquamarine]The Transcendent Legion (Aragorn327)[/color] [color=red](3) vs[/color] [color=Yellow]The Mythical Masters (SWBob)[/color] [color=red](2)[/color]

[color=YellowGreen]The Red Hand Of Ulster (EmpireForever)[/color] [color=red](3) vs[/color] [color=HotPink]The Spanish Inquisition (NYCitygurl)[/color] [color=red](2)[/color]

[color=SkyBlue]Bloody Murder (Hammurabi)[/color] [color=red](3) vs[/color] [color=Tan]The Neighborhood Watch (The_Chim)[/color] [color=red](2)[/color]

[color=LightCoral]The Angels of the North (JediNemesis)[/color] [color=red](2) vs[/color] [color=Orange]The Knights who say Ni! (JediKnight20043)[/color] [color=red](3)[/color][/b][/i][/hl]

[hr]

[color=white][b]5[/b][/color]

[hl=black][color=MediumAquamarine][b]Gwydion[/b] [i]aligned with[/i] [b]Thoth (prepared)[/b][/color] [b][color=white]vs[/color][/b] [color=Yellow][b]Kappa[/b] [i]aligned with[/i] [b]Neptune (prepared)[/b][/color]

[color=YellowGreen][b]Arthur[/b] [i]aligned with[/i] [b]Amaterasu[/b][/color] [b][color=white]vs[/color][/b] [color=HotPink][b]Griffin[/b] [i]aligned with[/i] [b]Morrigan (prepared)[/b][/color]

[color=SkyBlue][b]Fenrisulfr[/b] [i]aligned with[/i] [b]Cybele[/b][/color] [b][color=white]vs[/color][/b] [color=Tan][b]Brynhildr[/b] [i]aligned with[/i] [b]Osiris[/b][/color]

[color=LightCoral][b]Nuada[/b] [i]aligned with[/i] [b]Loki (prepared)[/b][/color] [b][color=white]vs[/color][/b] [color=Orange][b]Caeneus[/b] [i]aligned with[/i] [b]Iris (prepared)[/b][/color][/hl]

[hr]

Can anybody say CLOSE GAME or what!?

15. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    CLAPE GUME.

16. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Which Griffin is this?

17. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    [image=http://www.d.umn.edu/~elli0439/peter_griffin.jpg]

I'm sorry, but you can't just walk into these things.

18. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Can't I?

19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    griffin

Body of a lion (really strong), beak of an eagle (wouldn't want to get pecked) and either claws of a lion or of an eagle. And it can fly. Plus, a frenzied, somewhat crazy goddess is helping, and they're prepped. Arthur and his sword don't stand a chance.

20. SWBob

Jun 19, 2003
    What happens to special powers when things are transformed? I figure my ability to suck the life force out still stands. Cause its still a kappa, it would have just changed into the shape of the magician's choice.

And I'm not sure what Thoth will due in this match. Yeah, his magic will be stronger, but since he is fighting something that is not able to counter his shapechanging magic, it doesnt make a percievable diffrence. If he was fighting something that had magic of its own to counter, then it would, but not here. I already admited that the Kappa will be shapechanged, but that it doesnt matter in the way that he kills. And the healing wont matter cause I'm not killing him in the classic sense that could be healed.

And I know that she is prepped, so that she knows about the bowed head thing, but I have Neptune to keep refilling his head, so if she wants to try to win that way, it wont work, cause after a microsecond of bowing, I'm on her like lightning, swimming up to her in the arena that Neptune flooded with its prep. And I'm not even sure that he would be able to hold on to his wand with the waves of an angry sea god crashing around him.

So with the combination of angry sea god and life force sucking. Its over for Gwydion.

21. SWBob

Jun 19, 2003
    Sorry for the double post, but I was bored at work and so i was thinking.

What do we even know about his magic. Can it even penetrate water? What I've seen of greek magic(medusa's head) makes me wonder if it would even penetrate water. I mean if something as powerful as Medusa's magic was blocked by just looking through a reflection, then how do we know that it would even work through the water. I know it's a weak case, but since I thought it, I felt I had to post it.

Second, since he uses a "magic wand" to conjure the magic, that makes it appear to be projectile magic. If that is the case, let me pose this question to you. Have you ever tried spearfishing? Well in case you havent, or havent even heard of it, I'll describe a couple of the challenges.

1)Refraction, Deflection, Whatever the hell its called when the water shifts the light: When you look at something that is under water it isnt where it appears to be. The way the light travels through water, it bends, causing your brain to think that the object is somewhere its not. So whats his name would have to know how to correct for that, and it most likely will take quite a few tries to get it right. By that time, the Kappa's already on him.

2)The actual movment of the fish: Once you've learned to correct for refraction, you have to be able to predict where the fish is going to be. You have to try to guess where the fish is going to turn next. And that is when the fish doesnt even know that you are hunting it. Forget about it if the fish is actively trying not to get hit, like the kappa would be doing.

Now both of those are great challenges to overcome even when the water is still and peacfull, nevermind churning and crashing waves, distorting the image of the Kappa greatly, maybe even dispelling it completely from view. Hell, if you watch discovery channel enough you can look at a still river bank in Africa and never see the croc till it strikes.

And there is no doubt that the speed of the Kappa in water will cause great challenges to what's his face in hitting the Kappa with his magic.

That's all for now, but I may have more when aragon or the judges respond.

22. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Don't worry! I'll have some good things to respond to :p

23. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006

Well, let's completely dismiss Arthur here. Sure. I don't even have to get into everything else, his main weapon is enough to deal with a simple Griffin. Excalibur, at it's peak, when drawn, is as bright as 30 torches. The Griffin will not be able to see anything. It's scabbard stops the wielder from bleeding, so the talons would not do much of anything. It can also cut through pretty much anything, etc.

Then there's the other stuff I could bring up. The dagger. The mantle. Stuff like that. But I won't right now.

24. SWBob

Jun 19, 2003
    *cough*

25. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Are you coming down with something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.