main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC "The N-word"

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Jun 22, 2015.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks, but I really meant it broader than just that word. Not at first - only after people prodded me to clarify my stance and made me think.
    I think the word is merely the most apparant element. Maybe I should ask a mod to change the topic title to "Can race relations be improved by examining racism within the black community" or something. But I guess I already know everyone's answer by now.

The most satisfying answer came from Brian. He said "give it 2 or 3 generations". It's not very satisfying, but it's better than nothing.

Of course I know that there are more pressing matters, like a good overhaul of American law enforcement, and (as I believe is happening now) a change in the way the Confederate flag is perceived. And I do understand KW's objections that this may well be too soon. But if, after this, just one person here watches a black comedian doing a bit on the antics of "white people" "black people", or even "black women" - and thinks "hey... that's racist!", I think that's progress.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Edit: Nevermind.

3. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Tiring.

4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    The other day I was out driving with the family and my wife and I were discussing our next car as our current car is getting a bit long in the tooth and I said that whatever we get I don't want another black car. My ten year old then gasps in horror and says "that's RACIST!". I'm starting to get the same vibe with this thread :p

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yet, accurate.

6. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I have now said that it's not about the word four times. How then is saying that it's about the word accurate?

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This thread is literally called The N-Word.

8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Vivec, I guess you don't deem it possible that one can actually learn from a forum discussion and revise his stance. But it has happened. If I change the topic title, will you object? Or must I ask for it to be closed altogether?

9. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Watto - what exactly do you consider to be racism? How do you define that term? Is a comedian mocking "black" culture or "white" culture racism?

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    You said this:

Post number #75 which is:

Pretty much everything you've said sounds like a personal issue rather than a race issue.

Moreover, the rest of your posts sound like you're back peddling and trying to spin your comments to have deeper meaning and providing ideas in improving race relations in a country where you have no first hand experience.

Let me drop some inner city knowledge on you. You try and roll up in the wrong hood and dropping N-Bombs like it ain't no thang, you ain't coming out the same way you came in. Fo real, son!

Don't look stand up comedians and jokes for a true portrait of American race relations. Better yet, don't cite to them to support your point of view.

Barriss_Coffee and KnightWriter like this.
  11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    To me, racism is generalization based on skin color.
    It's unenlightened, not supported by science, it paves the way for segregation and I would like it to stop.

Comedians may be mocking "black" and "white" culture, but they call it black people and white people.

Comedy is my favorite thing. My favorite comedian is Dave Chappelle, a black American standup comedian. A lot of his stuff is about racism - based on the circumstances of African Americans in American society. Do you know what triggered him to give up his TV show and a multi-million dollar deal? He did a bit in blackface and a white team member laughed. That upset him, and he went to Africa. As you may understand, I don't dare laugh at that bit.
    However, there's also a world of "black" stereotypes he and others like to make use of: black men are lazy, promiscuous, speak slang, can be divided into "black guys" and "n------s"; black women are vengeful, jealous, have big butts, and always speak up. There's a "white" stereotype palette accordingly. White men are uptight, ruthless - soulless. White women are either white trash or classy. "once you go black, you never go back". I'm under the impression even Larry Wilmore is struggling with this expression now. "Wait, isn't that racist?"

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    You do understand that "Blackface" is just another way of saying the N-Word, right?

If you didn't laugh at the bit, then you should understand you can't just say the "N-Word" as you please. If you don't understand that, you might as well go up to Dave Chappelle in Blackface and call him the N-Word.

13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    SithSensei, I appreciate your diligence.

The word - what I was arguing for was for people to feel free using it exactly the way Obama was using it. To refer to the actual word without having to resort to saying the phrase "the N-word". Nothing more, nothing less. Hence the name of the topic.
    I have no personal urge to say it to anybody, as I said in the post you quoted. As you say, in a country with hardly any first hand experience, who would I say it to?

I'm afraid I just did... but I don't mind if this is where the topic leads us. Been enlightened before, don't mind it happening again.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Why do you think non-blacks should be able to say the word freely without social consequences?

KnightWriter likes this.
  15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Now you're trolling.

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    He most certainly is not. It's a genuine question that you should be able to answer.

17. Agent M

Agent M Jedi Padawan star 2

May 13, 2015
    Well I don't use it, but if other people want to use it, it doesn't exactly bother me.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There's a very particular reason that Obama can use the word the way he used it. Starting with the fact that he's African-American (and let's not get into a tangent about his father) and ending with the fact that he was talking about dealing with major systemic issues and not simply being satisfied with not using the word. In fact, I highly doubt his point was that everyone should use the word but rather that not using the word is not enough.

I very much doubt that everyone freely using the word is what he had in mind.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Thanks, I appreciate the comments.

However, you arguing for the use of the actual derogatory word instead of the substitute "N-Word" is a cause that won't garner any support from anyone who is racially respectful or sensitive.

As for comedians and jokes, those things exist in a bubble and targeted for a specific audience. As you pointed out, Dave Chappelle left the show because he felt a White member of the staff was laughing at him and not with him, and thus he thought his comedy was taking a wrong turn in which is was okay to laugh at Blackface. It's not.

SuperWatto likes this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    To Jello's excellent post above, I would only add that your failure to grasp this basic intended meaning only demonstrates how radically unprepared you are to deal in the American racial context. As you are not from that country, that's certainly not to your fault. But you absolutely should be criticized for eagerness to use something that you evidently have little to no understanding of nor appreciation for. Regardless of whether it's taboo or not, all of us should restrict our words and actions to those things we can actually comprehend.

Point Given , EHT and KnightWriter like this.
  21. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Supposedly, he also got tired of white college kids coming up to him yelling, "I'm Rick James, (female dog)!".

Just thought I'd add that.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  22. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Alright, I concede.
    Jello, that was the post I needed to hear.
    Thanks for enlightening me, everybody. I hope I haven't upset anyone. Sorry for wasting your time.

23. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    To me racism is more than just a generalisation based on skin colour, it is a judgement as to a person's inherent value based upon skin colour. There is a component of superiority involved. Something is 'racist' when you judge somebody as being inferior or you discriminate against them just because of their skin colour or perceived "race". Using the n word symbolises that inferiority. By calling somebody a n***** you are not acknowledging them as a person but an an inferior being. Black people being labelled as inferior sub-humans is essentially the history of race relations in the US. That history is still relatively recent. So, the issue of racial slurs is similar to other issues of opression in the US such as opression against women. You can't just declare a level playing field. Nowadays, we have affirmative action which is designed to right past wrongs against systemic discrimination against women. The social norm against using terms like n**** is similar.

You see a meme posted on facebook alot which is along the lines of "Black pride=OK, Mexican pride=OK, Asian pride=OK, White pride=racism". This meme is stupid because it assumes a level playing field in relation to the history of race relations. The history is not level. Watto -I think you seem to be declaring that the time is right to declare that the scales are now in balance. Like declaring that affirmative action is no longer appropriate as the past wrongs have now been fixed. That seems to be the jist of why many people in this thread are disagreeing with you fundamentally.

24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Hoth, no, I do not think there is balance. I have argued for reparations on this forum. I was trying to come up with ways to bring people closer together. So. This is not one of them.

25. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Well your intentions are pure so no criticism from me.

SuperWatto likes this.