main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Name Kylo

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Java_The_Hutt_, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Java_The_Hutt_

Java_The_Hutt_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    I noticed that the name Kylo is a mix of the last two letters of Sky and Solo. sKYwalker - soLO.
    I find it interesting that Ben Solo would chose this as his Knights of Ren title if he was so desperate to leave his past behind him. Lor San Tekka even says in the beginning of the film "You can not deny the truth that is your family" could this be a hint of the light still in him? Do you think the mix of the two names is intentional and really there, or am I reading too much into things?

2. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Interesting point. I noticed the sKYwalker soLO thing as well. I think it was a neat thing to name him, however it probably doesn't have much to do with him personally. You'd think that Snoke would have had him change his name if it was really a homage to his parents. This will probably remain un-explained but it will be a neat little thing when people notice it.

Force22 and Java_The_Hutt_ like this.
  3. Java_The_Hutt_

Java_The_Hutt_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2015

I think you're right. It almost makes me wonder if joining the Knights of Ren was something Ben did before he met Snoke and turned to the dark side.

4. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    I'm not convinced the name Kylo is a portmanteau of anything. I think it was chosen just because it sounded cool.

Import_Jedi likes this.
  5. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    It does sound cool. But I think that would kind of defeat the purpose of him trying to run away from his heritage?

6. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    What I want to know is why he is called Ren wouldn't that be paramount to calling Vader Darth?

7. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    LOL, I think it's just dependent on some of the characters.

Ben (Kenobi) said Darth instead of Vader, too.

8. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

Couldn't put this pearl of insight into the Kylo Ren thread? By the way it's been said about eleventy-bazillion times in there.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...n-episode-vii.50020028/page-237#post-52989135

9. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    If "Kylo" comes from Skywalker and Solo, does that mean "Vader" takes the -er from Skywalker and the Vad from an unknown, mysterious father?

Already feels like it's gonna be forever until the next movie....

10. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    I'm going to need more alcohol for this thread.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  11. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Simple explanation, Kylo is a variant of the name Kyle which is Scottish (and Ren is Welsh, so it keeps within the idea of the English naming convention), and means "Narrow, Strait, or Channel". Ren is a welsh name that means "Ruler" as well as a variant of an old English form for Raven. Oddly the Ren female form means water lily as well as romance, lover in Japanese.

One then can literally take it as "Narrow Ruler."

darthOB1 likes this.
  12. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    As Dark Lord names go, "Kyle" doesn't really do much to instill fear in me, haha.

Quite sure Ren is taken from the Japanese, too, considering the Star Wars inspirations at play, as well as the Easter Egg embedded in that name.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We have a thread about the name Kylo. It is conveniently filed under the name Kylo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.