main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The naming of Luke and Leia is underrated

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MarcJordan, Jul 30, 2016.

1. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Despite the fact that the death of Padme is somewhat maligned as she seemed give up on her life there is a "saving grace " in it all. That is their naming . Superficially very "required" for the story to connect the OT as Vaders children there is a greater need for Padme to name them in the way it came out like a whisper it was a GL master craft .

It was obviously a difficult moment for Padme....yet if you look at ESB , It was Luke who after calling Obi Wan, to no avail, Luke calls out to Leia. And how? By whisper! Again for hIm a difficult moment when all seemed lost. And then it as Leia who hears where she also whispers his name too!

Finally who was at Padmes side to hear the names called ? Obi Wan! How perfect was that ?

Views, opinions additions are welcome.

Cheers!

MJ

2. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I'm not sure that I understand completely your idea...
    What I have always wonder before ROTS was if Lucas would present some explaation why they are Luke and Lea exactly. Is not that he had any choice to change them, but it as they really look like twin names (harmonized one to another) and it would be interesting if Padme had chosen them before the tragic events, or at least one of them... If there is something that is missing in this hearthbreaking moment, for me is exactly that...

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  3. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I kinda like to think Anakin and Padme chose those names together. You know, Luke if it's a boy, Leia if it's a girl. What's still weird is how they had no idea they would need both names.

4. WhyKnock

WhyKnock Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2016

Google the retrozap 'Padme didn't die of a broken heart theory.' It's a great read.

My gut when I first saw ROTS was that Padme's death had to do with Palpatine. How could he know he killed her when she was otherwise to the droids 'perfectly healthy' unless he caused it somehow?

The clone wars episode showing dark magic abilities to rip the connection to the living force from a person and store it, transferring it to another is nearly a confirmation of what Palpatine did.

• Palpatine needed Padme and his unborn child(ren) gone for they would have as we know from the end of ROTJ been able to bring Anakin back to the light side of the force and overthrow him.
    • Anakin was the one who was dying, not Padme, so her connection to the living force was stolen by Palpatine and given to Anakin to keep him alive.
    The irony of Anakin's force vision of Padme dying was that it happened because he turned to the dark side to save her. While he was being built into the suit he could still feel her through the force, Palpatine used that to transfer her connection to the living force to Anakin. Killing two birds..

5. AniLukeRey

AniLukeRey Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    I'm curious if Anakin knew what names she would choose...could be that they had a list of names and she picked the final two when she realized she was going to give birth.

Also how far along was she went she gave birth? I could never figure out if she had the babies full term or not. I'm ignoring the fact that they were humongous when they were born. ;)

6. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I've been wanting to start a thread on this for months. I've always wondered where Luke & Leia's names came from and the significance behind them. Did Padme have relatives with those names? Did she just like those names? Were they Force-fed to her as the kids were born? I always thought it woulda been cool if George had explained where their names came from.

This is also a good enough place to put forth my idea that the scenes where we see what happens to Padme and the baby(s) should be removed from Episode III and used as flashbacks in Episodes V-VI at the appropriate times. Or as an epilogue after VI. At least for first-timers who are watching the films in numerical order. Much more impact not knowing who Luke & Leia are at first, if that's really Obi-Wan, or just some delusional hermit named Ben. Not knowing what happened with Yoda. Learning it was good ol' Bail who took Leia, etc.
    Heck, perhaps everything after the fight on Mustafar should be saved for the OT. Idk, just a thought.

WhyKnock: "Anakin was the one who was dying, not Padme, so her connection to the living force was stolen by Palpatine and given to Anakin to keep him alive."
    That was my theory (minus Palpatine's involvement. But that makes sense, too). I was gonna say that in the recent conversation that came up in the "Embittered fans" thread, but thought too many people would either laugh or get mad at me. Perhaps there's no logic or precedent to it, but yeah, I'm wondering if Padme didn't send her life essence to Anakin after his defeat on Mustafar so that he could survive the trip to the medical facility and through the procedure. [face_dunno]
    She said she knows there's still good in him, so she know he's still alive, or perhaps it was wishful thinking. Obi-Wan & Yoda seemed unsure. Especially in the (I know, now Legends) Kenobi novel.

7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I just imagined that Padme had always considered what she wanted to name her children. Lots of people like to think "If I had kids this is what I would name them..." I know I have done that.

Maybe she discussed some names with Anakin but not all, cause it would be strange were they to say "I want to name them Luke and Leia" and him to run into both of them as adults not making any connection, particularly in Leia's case as a somewhat famous senator he has clearly met several times before.

Though I admit it is possible "Luke and Leia" are the "Mark and Mary" of Star Wars. That is crazy common names anybody could come up with on a whim. But I'm not too fond of that either due to the RL cultural icons they have become. I know RL hardly ever equates to the Star Wars universe, but it seems strange the names are so recognizable to us, but are so bland IU. But in such a case it would be the only explanation for Vader dismissing them so easily had Padme discussed those names with Anakin beforehand.

I like to think "Luke and Leia:" are names that have some connection to Nabooian culture. Luke maybe a famous person, or a God/Godess. Some way that Anakin would not recognize but Padme would have a reason to choose them.

In the end I see it as a task for the EU, not necessary for the films, but interesting to think about.

MarcJordan likes this.
  8. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    This the thing . I appreciate what you say here and agree it would be nice to know how the names were chosen beforehand. That said my point of bringing this up is that it is "poetic mirroring" . As said Padme calls out their names the similar way Luke calls out Leia's name and Leia says Luke's name after events of two Jedi fighting and Obi Wans name mentioned.

There's more. It was also time just after Luke "gave up " finding out Vader is hs father and fell into the abyss and the main shocker to both Padme and Luke that Anakin did the horrible massacres of Jedi younglings and he is Father respectively . Vader is both Anakin to Padme and to Luke.

Hope it makes sense.

Cheers!

MJ

9. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Yes. One of those 'favorite little details" that mirror the PT and OT. :)

MarcJordan likes this.
  10. VadersFollower

VadersFollower Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2011
    McDiarmid was asked about it and he said he doesnt really think that was the intention (that Palpatine had something to do with Padme's death)

MarcJordan likes this.
  11. WhyKnock

Jul 8, 2016

Would love to read/watch that if you know of a source I can look for. He is a delight that Ian.

My one basis for thinking he may not have had all the facts is how George seemed to keep everything in his head and wasn't a method director to say the least. "Faster and more intense!" I'm guessing Liam Neeson has no real idea what a midi-chlorian is or isn't either. (And I can't even say I have my head fully around it!)

There are too many things from the prequels that many people dismiss as lazy writing that could also have been things left to explain later in case the sequel trilogy came to be.

The reason this seems to have more weight nowadays is this bit from Aftermath #1 with Wedge and the Sith Historian Yupe Tashu. (Apologies if this has been discussed in here, couldn't find anything.)

“You here for more torture? I won’t break.”
    The man’s spooky smile never wavers. “I know. I can see that. I can see your vitality will never waver.” He thrusts up a finger, as if having an epiphany. But the epiphany is not his own—rather, he seems to wish to deliver one. “Did you know that Sith Lords could sometimes drain the Force energy from their captives? Siphoning life from them and using it to strengthen their connection to the dark side? Extending their own lives, as well, so that they could live for centuries beyond their intended expiration?”

It seems rather similar to what may have happened to Padme. My guess is Palpatine may have somehow told Anakin what to do in order to stay alive during the fusing him to the Vader suit procedure which in effect taught him this Sith power and because of his strong connection to Padme through the force, Palpatine effectively manipulated Anakin into killing his beloved in order to save his own life.

12. WhyKnock

Jul 8, 2016
    To add:

These thoughts are from Buddhist teachers.

There’s Buddhism in Star Wars too?
    The very famous line of Yoda is, “May the force be with you.” The force is something he explains as something unseen that surrounds all things that encompass every aspect of our lives. This is what in our tradition we would call Amida Buddha, a force that is constantly coming toward us and teaching us about the truth of our lives. Amida is the Sanskrit name of wisdom and compassion that’s extended toward us. In Star Wars, it’s about Luke growing and learning about his true and real self through all of his experiences. In a way, it’s that force that helps him come to the realization of where he belongs in this universe.

("Mas Ameeda?" "Padme Amidala?")

Who is the most Buddhist character in Star Wars?
    There are parts of every character that are very Buddhist. Yoda is one name that jumps out at us. Darth Vader, too. He’s someone who eventually comes to grips with his true self. Evil is sort of his life, it consumes him – this anger and this need for revenge – but in the end he becomes his true and real self again. He becomes Anakin Skywalker. It’s hard to say which one is the most Buddhistic.

13. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    And here's what I mean. Im sure GL meant to mirror it as follows:

Padme calls out : "Luke" (same tone as....)
    [​IMG]

...Leia calling out : "Luke"
    [​IMG]

---

Padme calls out : "Leia" (same tone as....)

[​IMG]

....Luke calling out : "Leia" (same tone )

[​IMG]

Finally the Obi Wan mention. The same tone.

Padme says : "Obi Wan...there's good in him, I know, there is...."

[​IMG]

Luke: "Ben, why didn't you tell me?" (same tone)

[​IMG]

MJ

14. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Also look into the Amygdala.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdala

WhyKnock likes this.