main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Nature of the Negative Criticism

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthCorky, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi3167

Jedi3167 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 1999
    TO the guys who wish they were as naive as Lucas. First of all you probably are.

Secondly Lucas is naive because he is good natured, which may not be the case for you guys.

How shall I put this? Lucas would be an awful lot richer if he'd opted to give distribution rights to Dreamworks back in '98.

2. DARTHSPIDEY

DARTHSPIDEY Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    Hello, long time reader first time poster. This time I couldn't just sit back and watch idiocy reign supreme. I see a lot of people saying, "Oh, Darth Corky, you're a godsent," or "Darth Corky, you're the underground railroad for AOTC fans," or "Darth Corky, I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life." Well let me say, I've seen AOTC six times, and every time it just gets worse. Each time I go in hoping it will recapture the magic of The Phantom Menace, but what am I supposed to do when they can Jar-Jar into a veritable CAMEO!!! Look, I've never seen the OT (scratch that, I did see the first ten minutes of Return of the Jedi, that slug was hilarious!), but I resent the fact that I can't call myself a Star Wars fan. So don't tell me what I can and cannot call myself, DARTH PORKY!!!

Go Spidey!

3. ObiWan-NZ

ObiWan-NZ Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    Great post,

I think it's great that these forums are here so we can all express our views, but I really dislike the way some people bash AOTC,

To be honest I was quite dissapointed with TFM, and when I saw AOTC I was blown away because it felt just like "Star Wars" being... But the way I see it is that most of the people that bash the film hated it before they even saw it

It's easy to point the finger and say "why the hell did he do that" or "This was ham acting" but this to me just shows a narrow mind, I firmly believe that if Empire strikes back was the original, and "A New Hope" was a brand new prequel, It would get totally bashed, even though most people really like it,

If George ever started a third trilogy then Nostelga would be attacted to the Prequel triloy

4. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Ooooooh Kay!

Thanks for all your support guys. However, one of my friends who DIDN'T like AOTC was a fan of ROTJ and TPM. So I don't think the lack of understanding is there on his part.

On her part, She didn't like TPM, she claimed to like the OT- but I am thinking that she has rose colored glasses to the OT. OR just said that to get accepted by the boys. She is an intellegent woman though.

Except for the LOTR obsession.

Actually, I did Like LOTR, but I too was upset by some of the "changes" in the characters and story arcs...not enough to make me hate the film, but only to like it.

I enjoyed Spiderman VERY much...I am a fan of the character and thought that the movie was a very good comic book movie.

But one of my friend said...There is No Other movie but Star Wars.....

5. DarthCorky

DarthCorky Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    I assume that your post is a joke DARTHSPIDEY. Regardless of if it is or is not, I got a nice laugh out of it. Keep up the good work.

DarthCorky

6. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    Well let me say, I've seen AOTC six times, and every time it just gets worse.

I simply do not understand why someone would see a movie 6 times that they hated. One viewing should be sufficient to determine that a film is bad, unless there were some mitigating circumstances such as bad sound etc that affected your first viewing.

I am a big fan of Star Trek, yet I hated the last Star Trek film. One viewing of that film was more than enough to show that it was not worth my time.

7. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    New definition for loser : Watching a movie you hate *6* times.

Wow, Lucas is a freaking genious, he makes people who don't like his movies watch them over and over and over. HAHAHAHA !

8. JerrytheJedi

JerrytheJedi Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    Ok, I have a complaint about DarthCorky's post. I tend to disagree with his word choice. Now, I know that criticizing a Star Wars fan on a Star Wars message board is more difficult than making "the switch," but I'm gonna try anyway. So please, fellas, give me a chance, and I'm sure that you'll see that I have some very intelligent points to make.

First off, whats the deal with "The Nature of Negative Criticism?" I mean, is it really possible to have negative criticism? Isn't all criticism negative? I mean, who's ever heard of positive criticism? Does it even exist? What I'm thinking is, if the word "negative" is a negative, and the word "criticism" is theoretically a negative, then isn't "negative criticism" a double-negative? And since a double-negative equals a positive, shouldn't DarthCorky's post really be called "The Nature of Admiration?" In that case, DarthCorky technically wrote that entire essay about how it's wrong for critics to admire AOTC! I mean, who are the Ad Wizards that came up with that one?

And what's the deal with grape nuts? Neither grape, nor nut!

9. Darth_Joe

Darth_Joe Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2002
    No, there can be both positive and negative criticism. Positive being criticism that is constructive and helpful. Negative being the type of criticism DarthCorkey is talking about in the original post.

10. DarthCorky

Apr 24, 2002
    Jerrythejedi,
    Funny idea but...
    crit·i·cism   Pronunciation Key  (krt-szm)
    n.
    1. The act of criticizing, especially adversely.
    2. A critical comment or judgment.
    a. The practice of analyzing, classifying, interpreting, or evaluating literary or other artistic works.
    b. A critical article or essay; a critique.
    c. The investigation of the origin and history of literary documents; textual criticism.

Criticism is merely evaluating, it can be positive or negative.

Of course if you're just having fun, disregard this post.

DarthCorky

11. DarthCorky

Apr 24, 2002
    Darth Joe beat me to it

12. JerrytheJedi

May 24, 2002
    OK, I guess some of you misunderstood me. So before I lash out on you with everything I've got, I'll give you one more chance. So, maybe this example right here will help you comprehend:

You can't just have an adultery - you commit adultery. And you can't even commit adultery unless you already have a commitment. So you have to make the commitment before you can even think about committing it. There's no commit without the commit. Then, once you commit, then you can commit the adultery and then you get caught, get divorced, lose your mind and they have you committed. But y'know some people actually cheat on the people that they're cheating with. Which is like, y'know, being in a hold up and then turning to the robber next to you and goin' "Alright, gimme everything you have, too".

13. Ded-Man

Ded-Man Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2002
    I usually go with 3a and b, personally.

That was a pretty funny bash of Darth Corky.

"I'm haunted by the post that you should never have made, hoping it won't become a scar. You're in my very soul, tormenting me!"

14. DarthCorky

Apr 24, 2002
    Jerrythejedi I have no idea what you're talking about.

15. revolution

revolution Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    MadMardigan wrote:
    >Many films I loved as a child (like SW) I revisit later and I think
    >to myself "what a dumb kid I was." Star Wars, though, still holds up.
    >
    >People also forget that people who saw Star Wars aren't just children.
    >Many people who were 20-somethings, Parents and grand parents still
    >hold the Star Wars saga in high regard. So i would say its impossible
    >to say "oh they like the OT better than the PT because they first saw
    >it when they were kids."
    >

I agree. And I am glad you brought this up - I want to address something related . Many TPM gushers are only too quick to try and bring down the OT in order to prop up TPM. One common tactic is to dismiss the kiddy aspects of TPM by claiming that the OT were "kids movies".

The OT were not kids movies. Maybe movies for kids of all ages - there is a distinct difference. The adults who took me to see the OT films were as nuts about them as I was. In ANH Luke was at an age getting ready to head off to college, and I found his path and actions throughout the film very believable. Contrast that to young Anikin in TPM and I found myself on more than one occasion thinking "no way".

For example, consider how ANH ends compared to TPM. In ANH Luke is old enough to have flown and fought during the film, and old enough to make the decision to join the rebel attack on the Death Star. He knows how the Death Star can be destroyed, and with some skill, use of the force, and help from his friends - he accomplishes it.

Contrast that with young Anikin who did not intend to, nor could there really have been, any logical way for him to destroy the driod army control ship. So instead we have him being told to hide, happening to jump into a fighter, accidentally hitting something in the cockpit and then somehow ending up by the control ship. Then happening to fly into the correct landing port, then firing off a few rounds to hit some bad guys and wouldn't you know the control ship is destroyed. Now that is kids stuff.

Anikin flubbing his way to destroying the control ship is not nitpicking criticism - it was a big part of the ending of TPM and happens to be one of the main things that for me detracted from the film. ATOC seems to have less of that stuff and that's probably one reason for less criticism - it plays better to all age groups.

16. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    Nope...lost me too. What does adultery have to do with anything? Do you have something to confess? ;)

17. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    Contrast that with young Anikin who did not intend to, nor could there really have been, any logical way for him to destroy the driod army control ship. So instead we have him being told to hide, happening to jump into a fighter, accidentally hitting something in the cockpit and then somehow ending up by the control ship. Then happening to fly into the correct landing port, then firing off a few rounds to hit some bad guys and wouldn't you know the control ship is destroyed. Now that is kids stuff.

I believe it wasn't just dumb luck...more like the force working through Anakin.

18. revolution

revolution Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    DarthCorky wrote:
    >One more thing. As far as feeling an "Ownership" of Star Wars,
    >I understand completely why some feel this way. And I also disagree
    >with it completely. The fans do not own Star Wars, even if we sometimes
    >think we do. Lucas's motivation to make good Star Wars films is not
    >because he thinks we own it or he owes it to us, it's because he
    >wants to tell his story and make some money to continue doing so.
    >If you really don't like it, don't see it. The only thing you own
    >is your time and ticket money. And your opinion of course.
    >

Actually I have heard this argument made before and I disagree with it. If GL decided to make a Star Wars movie and then just watch it himself for his own personal pleasure then sure - it's his baby alone. But he made the decision to put it out into the world, not to mention charging people to see it. Star Wars doesn't exist in a vacuum, it's what it is today because of what GL created AND because of the world he put it into. In this way Star Wars fans all have an ownership stake in what is "Star Wars" and also when someone messes with it. Sure GL has a tough job with the OT universe on his back and I give him credit for attempting the new trilogy, but he decided to try the PT no one forced him into it. I am in no way advocating that the PT should be a rehash of OT.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike SW fans who get all bent out of shape and act like they alone are the owners and keepers of the Star Wars flame. Sure there are basic Star Wars themes, but change is fine with me if it's done well.

19. JerrytheJedi

May 24, 2002
    OK, CORKY ROMANO, I?m gonna make it loud and clear to you. You obviously have no intellect and ability to understand a simple point. Hell, who am I kidding, you wrote an entire essay about how it's wrong for critics to admire AOTC. Here you go, moron, FIVE more examples, one for each god-awful Star Wars film that?s been released:

So, I'm in line at the supermarket. Two women in front of me. One of them, her total was eight dollars, the other, three dollars. They both of course choose to pay by the use of the cheque. Now, the fact is, if it's a woman in front of you that's writing the cheque, you will not be waiting long. I have noticed that women are very fast with cheques, y'know, 'cause they write out so many cheques. The keys, they can never find in their purse, they don't know where that is, but the cheque book they got that. They never fumble for the cheque book - the cheque book comes out of a holster. There's something about a cheque that, to a man, is not masculine. I don't know exactly what it is... I think to a man, a cheque is like a note from your mother that says "I don't have any money, but if you'll contact these people, I'm sure they'll stick up for me... If you just trust me this one time I don't have any money but I have these... I wrote on these; is this of any value at all?"

So I move into the center lane, now I get ahead of this woman, who felt for some reason I guess, that she thought that I cut her off. So, she pulls up along side of me, gives me... the finger. It seems like such an... arbitrary, ridiculous thing to just pick a finger and you show it to the person. It's a finger, what does it mean? Someone shows me one of their fingers and I'm supposed to feel bad. Is that the way it's supposed to work? I mean, you could just give someone the toe, really, couldn't you? I would feel worse if I got the toe, than if I got the finger. 'Cause it's not easy to give someone the toe, you've gotta get the shoe off, the sock off and drive, get it up and look at that toe, buddy. I mean, that's really insulting to get the toe, isn't it?

Most men like working on things, tools, objects, fixing things. This is what men enjoy doing. Have you ever noticed a guy's out in his driveway working on something with tools, how all the other men in the neighborhood are magnetically drawn to this activity. They just come wandering out of the house like zombies. Men, it's true, men hear a drill, it's like a dog whistle. Just... you know, they go running up to that living room curtain, "Honey, I think Jim's working on something over there." So they run over to the guy. Now they don't actually help the guy. No, they just want to hang around the area where work is being done. That's what men want to do. We want to watch the guy, we want to talk to him, we want to ask him dumb questions. You know, "What are you using, the Philips head?" You know, we feel involved. That's why when they have construction sites, they have to have those wood panel fences around it, that's just to keep the men out. They cut those little holes for us so we can see what the hell is going on. But if they don't cut those holes - we are climbing those fences. Right over there. "What are you using the steel girders down there? Yeah, that'll hold."

Went out to dinner the other night. Check came at the end of the meal, as it always does. Never liked the check at the end of the meal system, because money's a very different thing before and after you eat. Before you eat money has no value. And you don't care about money when you're hungry, you sit down at a restaurant. You're like the ruler of an empire. "More drinks, appetizers, quickly, quickly! It will be the greatest meal of our lives." Then after the meal, you know, you've got the pants open, you've got the napkins destroyed, cigarette butt in the mashed potatoes - then the check comes at that moment. People are always upset, you know. They're mystified by the check. "What is this? How could this be?" They start passing it around the table, "Does this look right to you? We're not hungry now. Wh

20. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    You know, I've heard babbling like this before from a man named Charles Manson.

21. Ded-Man

Jan 18, 2002
    Okay, I'm really scared now.

22. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    The other day, I was sitting at home looking out the window. I noticed the clouds and how they always seem to be in the sky. Always white as well. As my eyes focused closer together I could see my face reflected in the window. There's that goatee on my face, just as it has been for the last two years. The hair is always there, just like that unwanted tidbit in your McDonald's hamburger. Onions always make them taste better. If I had a garden, it would be full of vegetables, just like the ones in the grocery store. I've heard they are thinking about making us pay for our groceries by using our fingerprints. Possibly the beginning of the end? The mark of the beast is going to be on our foreheads or our hand and give us the power to buy and sell goods, you know. My hands are rough like sand, not smooth like JerrytheJedi's skin. I don't like sand. I don't like Jerry's comment about god-awful Star Wars movies either. I wish I was watching Star Wars Episode II in the theatre right now. Theatres always smell like popcorn. Isn't it strange that corn and onions both grow in gardens? I wish I had a corn field to run through. Maybe I should be a farmer. Owen Lars was a moisture farmer. Moisture is a strange word...kind of like spatula and milk. What if there were no words and we didn't have mouths? Would we communicate through sign language or some other means? Did Jerry's post make sense to anybody?

23. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    The nature of the Negative Criticism is this.
    Humanity is on a downward spiral of doom. Why? People are getting stupider and all-around selfish and rude. But that's a much larger story.

*This is my opinion*
    This is how I feel of AOTC bashing.

If you didn't like it you are probably one of the following:

A Poser: You know nothing about Star Wars to begin with other than the "android" is named "C-PD2". No wonder AOTC was too confusing and therefore no good.

Imaginary creator: YOU created Star Wars. How dare Lucas ruin YOUR OT movies by adding TPM and now AOTC. You didn't give him permission! You had better ideas for the prequels and now Lucas has ruined your creation.

Trouble-maker/"critic": You know it's beloved by millions so by trashing Star Wars you make alot of people angry or at the very least get attention - which is ultimately your goal. You may end up earning the respect of the posers or the imaginary creators. It's now trendy to go against the grain, ya know?

It's sad when people can tear down what is supposed to be simple, innocent fun. A George Lucas tale. He's not out of touch, everyone else is. Well, not EVERYONE. You know who you are. :)
    AOTC rocked!

24. Ded-Man

Jan 18, 2002
    LOL Darth Joe.

Rogue, you're right. I like those fanboy archetypes.

Also, the community in general does seem to be getting dumber and dumber by the year, unable to understand even the most rudimentary logic. With that comes a strange, self-congratulatory egotism. If one steps back and looks at society from the outside, it does appear pretty absurd.

I was just reading the user reviews over at moviecom, I think it was. Some guy was ranting about how much he hated AOTC. And his user name was like ToiletSeat22 or something. I mean, ToiletSeat? I'm suppose to seriously take his advice?

25. Darth_Joe

May 5, 2002
    I think you hit the nail on the head roguetrader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.