main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Madness Has Begun!: NCAA Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dal--Intrepid, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Is it bad that I'm kind of disappointed Wisconsin won because I wanted Duke to be the ones to take down Kentucky? :p

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I thought the same thing....been hoping Duke could take Kentucky down in the title game since the bracket was announced.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It was not a well-officiated game.

The officials are not, by any means, responsible for Kentucky's loss.

darth_gersh and DAR like this.
  4. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    A SPORTS NIGHT happens once in a great age in your life.

I got a great win with my Badgers, had tickets for the Portland Timbers which I attended at half time. Timbers win 3-1 after being tied at half, down with only ten men we get the win. Just doesn't happen like that. So much fun. Hard to put in words.

Still got to be grounded, one more game to worry about.

ON WISCONSIN!

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, but much like the UCLA "phantom goaltending" call -- which DID decide the game -- this had a massive swing, especially on the allowance of shot-clock violation ball. Being down 2 and being down four at the 24s mark is a massive difference.

Also, the refs were clearly calling the game tight, which for a physical team like Kentucky has a disadvantage from the beginning and I honestly wouldn't have expected that in a Final Four game; I also called the Flagrant 1 foul against Kentucky that wasn't called, so it's not even they were consistent. Even if they were consistent, it's still a disadvantage.

That was still a great game to watch and Wisconsin still may have won, it's just frustrating that the refs were so prominent there.

6. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Aaron Rodgers has lent his powers to Sam Dekker and it is beautiful to see.

PRENNTACULAR and dp4m like this.
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    If Wisconsin wins, they'll win the national title with the most difficult path for a #1 seed, with no upsets (in terms of seeing) on their direct path. They'll have beaten

16 Coastal Carolina
    8 Oregon
    4 North Carolina
    2 Arizona
    1 Kentucky (#1 overall seed)
    1 Duke

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Jim Calhoun looks healthy and in good spirits, also about 5 years younger. No more coaching stress has been good for him!

Juliet316 and dp4m like this.
  9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    It's nearly time, ladies and gentlemen.

EDIT:
    Dang, it's sometimes hard to fathom that Coach K has been Duke's head coach longer than I've been alive. xD

yankee8255 and cubman987 like this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wisconsin laid a DOOKIE on the court floor!

Congratulations Duke Blue Devils on being National Champions of NCAA Div I-A Basketball!

cubman987 and Rew like this.
  11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Ahhhhhh!!!! DUUUUUUUKE!!

Rew and dp4m like this.
  12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    [face_devil]

cubman987 likes this.
  13. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Congrats to Duke. Wisconsin played sloppy.
    dp4m keep it classy.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  15. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    The Duke player stepped out of bounds. What are you going to do. Game over and Duke won. That 3 killed us at the end.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    dp4m established himself as the self-appointed NCAA Referee Review Commander Committee® after the Kentucky game. In fact, that's all he wanted to talk about.

I guess he was off-duty last night.

gersh, I'm sorry, man. Losing stinks. Losing to that team stinks a lot. I say that with plenty of experience. Wisconsin has plenty to be proud of.

darth_gersh likes this.
  17. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Thanks heels. Great season, great tourney, great finals.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You know, I did want to say something and forgot when making the poop joke. Based on the two egregiously bad calls I saw in the last 2-ish minutes of the game (the non-foul on the fast breaking Duke player and the ball not being called out of bounds on Duke) it seemed like the refs were uniformly terrible again; however, since I didn't really watch the first half -- and wasn't paying nearly as much attention in the second half as I was during Kentucky/Wisconsin -- I couldn't say if that was a game-long thing. Either way, we need new refs for the tourney overall.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Look on the bright side, Wisconsin fans.

That wasn't your worst loss in a title game in Lucas Oil Stadium this academic year.

20. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Ouch Inty.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Sorry. I couldn't resist. I was hoping for a "hey, you're 1-1 in title games at Lucas Oil, and didn't give up 59 points this time" post.

But, alas, it was not to be

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Mount Saint Joseph's Lauren Hill passed this morning - she was the courageous young lady who fought terminal brain cancer and raised 1.5 million through her foundation to study and fight it. She was the recipient of this year's Pat Summitt Most Courageous Player award, and in her first and only game this season, she drained the first shot of the game, a layup with her left hand - her right side had become too weak. Then she came back and knocked down the last shot of that game, a layup with her weak right hand.

19 years old, so young. Great kid, rest in peace.

[​IMG]

Rew, Juliet316, dp4m and 3 others like this.
  23. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I know it was inevitable but it still made me sick to my stomach when I read about her passing this morning....such a sad thing to happen to someone so young and brave but what an inspiration she is, especially to other's with cancer. RIP

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  24. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Yeah, she made this world a better place with what little time she was here.

Thank you Lauren

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Coach Smith has now got his closest friend and confidante on the bench next to him for all time.

RIP Coach Guthridge, 77. Kept the ship steady after the legend left, made a nice run to the Final Four of his own. Class, personified.