main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Madness Has Begun!: NCAA Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dal--Intrepid, Nov 17, 2006.

1. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Wow, not a nice year for UNC. He did great when he took over. Never had a problem with him as Head Coach

RIP.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Dear G-d, this just came across the ESPN feed: Coach Cal is interested in the Pelicans job to coach Anthony Davis again... o_O

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    No way he'll go. There are only thee NBA coaches who make more than his 7 mil/year, and they all serve as President (and one is part-owner) - Pop, Flip, and Doc.

He's a god amongst ants in the SEC with Donovan gone, and gets to mold incredible talent at UK.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ah, okay, immediate refuted. /phew

"The Kentucky coach shot down reports from the Times-Picayune that he'd informed Pels officials of his interest in their vacant head coaching job. Pelicans star Anthony Davis played under Calipari at UK. Tweeted Calipari: "I have a great job and I'm happy at UK.""

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Coach Cal is going to be linked with every NBA opening. He just is. I don't see him making the jump unless he gets wind of some NCAA Sanctions coming down the pipe and he wants to get out of dodge before they hit. Lacking that, he has no reason to ever leave Kentucky.

But, hey, no doubt there's a unique relationship built between a one-and-done and his coach who had him on campus for two-thirds of an academic year and spent more time recruiting him then he did mentoring him. Yup. That makes a lot of sense.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Wow, Western Illinois (my wife's alma mater) beat Wisconsin tonight! I've watched a lot of WIU sports and I can tell you that is a huge shocker.

7. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    We don't want a new Head Coach, Bo Ryan can coach till he is 80.
    As usual we will be far better than people think. And we harldy ever lose at home
    hell we rarely lose to Coach Izzo and MSU-and that man can flat out coach.
    Congrats on your wife's win over us huge, we lost to UWGB two years ago and missed the
    National Championship game by one bucket. We are breaking in 3 new starters and the first two guys off the bench.
    ON WISCONSIN!

8. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    They showed it during the national title (Wisconsin-DUKE) game-Roy Williams was sitting in awesome seats "alone" the other one was empty for Bo Ryan's
    Father gave me chills. What a classy, classy man.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    LOL @ Ohio State

Oh. Wait

:-(

dp4m likes this.
  10. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Thanks Bo.

Classy legend.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Enjoy your retirement, coach!

darth_gersh and dp4m like this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I read that last night right before bed (that he was retiring) and was like...

[​IMG]

He'll be missed. I always hated Wisconsin's style of play, but I can't deny how well he did for the program, or his young men, or working with what he had...

13. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Soooo, Virginia or Villanova?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Soooo, Virginia or Villanova?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Sad to see Bo Ryan go in the middle of the season, but I wish him the best. He was a great coach, no doubt about it.

That said, I'd like to give props to the only school that still has an undefeated mens' and womens' college basketball teams... South Carolina! Women are 12-0, ranked #2 behind only UConn (of course), though they really haven't hit their stride yet, and the men are now 11-0 and newly ranked in the top 25 for the first time since 2004. Best start for the men's team since the 1933-34 season. Yes, you read that year right.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Dawn Staley is an unbelievable coach. South Carolina is so fortunate to have her.

Rew likes this.
  17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    She really is. And Frank Martin's done a heck of a job in his few years here as well, especially considering where the program was when Darrin Horn was removed.

18. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

Well, look who's finally decided to join us again!

"There's been an awakening," indeed. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Heh. Between our discussion before watching TFA Thursday and both of my roommates mentioning TF.N last night, I figured the least I could do was stick my head in. We'll see if this lasts beyond school starting back up in January ;)

heels1785 and Rew like this.
  20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    R...J! Nice to see you!

Definitely sad to see Bo go mid-season. Best of luck to him.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    South Carolina stays undefeated by beating Memphis... in a game that saw 68 fouls called and 99 combined free throw attempts. Memphis had 5 players foul out and 3 more with 4. Saddest part might be how many fouls in the game weren't called - it was an ugly, ugly game.

On the plus side, the South Carolina teams of the past several seasons would never have had a chance in a game like this.

Rew likes this.
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    If you've been missing it, Faux Pelini has been live tweeting the OU-KU game tonight. To Donald Trump. It's been nothing short of fantastically amazing.

Rogue...Jedi likes this.
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Last night also provides the first amazing stat of 2016:

On January 4th, the Kansas Jayhawks Basketball team scored 109 points.
    In 9 Big XII Conference Football Games, the Kansas Jayhawks Football team scored 108 points.

Rogue...Jedi likes this.
  24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That is awesome.

South Carolina survived its first SEC game, on the road at Auburn (12 point win), to improve to 14-0. Next up is Vandy Saturday, a Vandy team that has now lost 6 of its last 9 (mostly to some pretty good teams) and is sure to come out ready. Should be a good game - certainly will be a tough one.

Rew likes this.
  25. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So Ron Rivera (head coach of the Carolina Panthers) is also apparently a Duke Blue Devil fan:
    [​IMG]

I love this man even more now. [face_love]

Rogue...Jedi likes this.