main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Madness Has Begun!: NCAA Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dal--Intrepid, Nov 17, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I did - was flipping between SC/Georgia and that game. Kansas is a mentally weak basketball team that will flop in the tournament - you heard it here in February. Not because they gave up the 15 point lead, but because they had 4-5 chances in the last two minutes to easily put the game away, and they played like they were scared.

Burton for ISU is a freak. He and Mason both played remarkably well.

Edit - Baylor nearly completed a crazy comeback, too. K-State was up by almost 20 when I checked on that one, and Baylor only lost by 2.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Frank Mason saves a ball, his momentum takes him three rows into the stands. He recovers, and sprints back onto the court to steal a cross-court pass and NEARLY finishes it.

This kid is dynamite. Very comparable to Chris Paul, maybe even a better scorer at this point in his career.

3. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Let's. Go. DUKE! [face_devil]

cubman987 likes this.
  4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Duuuuuuuuuuke!!

Rew likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    :D

cubman987 likes this.
  7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Too bad they can't both lose. :p

DarthIntegral likes this.
  9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    A coworker of mine joked to me about the game: "It's a good thing Duke didn't trip up last night."

I'm a Blue Devil fan and all, but still, I laughed. [face_laugh]

Chin up, though, heels1785 and anakinfansince1983--if it makes you two feel any better, I think the rematch in Chapel Hill is pretty much in the bag for you. The only hope Duke had of not being swept this year was to win in Cameron Indoor last night on the strength of the energy they feed on from the Cameron Crazies. I fear it'll be a different story in the Dean Dome.

cubman987 and heels1785 like this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Sitting here watching this Texas-Okie State game.

Texas is an atrocious basketball team. The Big 12 is not strong at all this year outside of Kansas/Baylor/WVU, and Okie State isn't really that good. Tough place to play, yes, but the Horns are 10-14 on the year. They're getting wiped out right now.

I thought Shaka Smart was brought in to improve on the Barnes formula.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Shoot. Fab Melo, an outstanding player at Syracuse a few years ago, passed away in his sleep last night at age 26.

Got tripped up a few times on academics at SU, but from all accounts, a great kid. Played in the NBA a few years, and returned to his native Brazil to play professionally.

RIP. Way, way too young.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Tonight, the UConn Women's Basketball team goes for its 100th straight win. They play a highly ranked South Carolina team.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Truly incredible feat from Geno and these fantastic young women.

Dawn and the Lady Gamecocks gave them a great first half, though. :p

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Not just 100 wins in a row, but their last loss came in overtime. The last time they lost a game in regulation was March 13, 2013, a two-point loss to Notre Dame in the Big East Tournament Finals. That means they are currently in a span of 148 games without losing in regulation.

Juliet316 and PCCViking like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Kentucky-Georgia game was pretty damn intense. I caught the last few minutes since it pre-empted the UNC-Virginia game.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Virginia just looked terrible tonight. They had to play Duke and us back-to-back, and dropped a stinker to VaTech last weekend. Kids are just worn out.

Good win for the Heels, though. Louisville this week, will probably be underdogs - going to be a hell of a tough game.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was laughing at the ESPN commentators who kept going on and on about how they did not understand how Virginia was doing so poorly.

Meanwhile Roy Williams is on the sidelines mad as hell because according to him during halftime, the Heels were capable of playing better.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Roy gets a lot of flack for his strategy, but he is a master motivator. I think he's done a great job with this team, we're entirely capable of a Final Four run.

I hate seeing Virginia struggle, though. Have a very close friend who works for UVA, and she's a big basketball fan. They've put two good years together back-to-back, and along with FSU, appear to be replacing Syracuse and Pitt among the elites of in the ACC.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Whatever, Illinois State just won their final home game to complete a perfect season at home for the first time in school history. Tied for first in the MVC with one game left to go!

21. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    And we win our first MVC title since 1998!!! (shared with #25 Wichita State) We get the #1 seed in the MVC Tournament based on our better RPI!

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That's awesome, amigo. Congratulations!

Carolina with a solid win over Pitt this morning. Jamie Dixon's TCU squad nearly upset WVU - heck of a game.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Zaga Zags have fallen at home, 71-79 to BYU.

I'm not sure they're even a #1 seed in the tournament now - strength of schedule is just terrible.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ohmigoodness that ending between Northwestern and Michigan. I'll edit in the video when it's available.

Hopefully you saw it.

Edit - here's the highlights:

Really special for Doug Collins' son, Chris, the HC at Northwestern. Doug was working the Cavs-Celtics game last night and they showed the last play coming out of a commercial break. Was very cool.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Well if nothing else both Duke-UNC games were a lot of fun to watch. Hope they meet in the ACC tourny.

Rew and heels1785 like this.