main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Madness Has Begun!: NCAA Basketball Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dal--Intrepid, Nov 17, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    If Ohio State was that close to knocking off Carolina in Chapel Hill ... I gotta think that when Oden gets back and used to the flow of the game and his teammates ... =P~

I only caught the end of the game, but from the highlights, looks like both teams represented well

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Ohio State is going to be a major force to be reckoned with come March. Same goes for Kansas and UNC, too, as those teams continue to gel.

I think those are the top 3 teams this year, easily.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd personally like to see Big 12 vs. Pac 10 and SEC vs. Big East next year, I love this format. Big 10 is going to be fine, they've got some quality teams, but the ACC just looks so strong this year, as they usually are.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The Mid-Major conferences need to latch on to this idea, and set up some conference challenges, too.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    The best thing is that it promises some good games early in the season, when most good teams are playing no-name schools that they can blow out.

6. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Pretty funny that everyone is hailing the Heels' defense with clamping down last night. Way to hold them to 89! Sure some defense was involved, but there was really no way OSU (or most teams) can hope to sustain that shooting pace. Still, I don't think anyone really came out a loser in that game. Hansbrough and Wright are starting to complement each other, Frasor has cut down on his mistakes significantly from last year, and Ginyard continues to do all the dirty work. It looked like Ellington was getting ready to do something either really spectacular or stupid on his first breakaway before he slipped on the wet spot. Still, freshmen will be freshmen.

I think the Big Ten needs to find a new challenge. Maybe it's time to bring back the ACC/Big East Challenge. Given all the ill will with defections and lawsuits, it'd be about time.

7. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Clemson dominated Minnesota 90-68! our press and our offense looked impressive, next its in columbia for a saturday showdown with the Gamecocks. I think we should beat them and improve to 9-0

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I'll probably be at the game Saturday (definitely if I'm feeling better, though I'm a bit sick right now), but I'm definitely worried about it. We can beat Clemson if we show up and play like we can, but we've definitely been inconsistent this year, and if we play anywhere remotely like we did against UC Irvine, we'll lose by 50.

9. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    We aren't even on the bubble burst list in the ACC on CBSsportsline. So they are basically saying Clemson has no shot at the Big Dance o_O I guess when someone sees Clemson in bball they immediately discount them. Granted we have played some not so great compitition, but we have destroted those teams and thrashed Minnesota and beat Miss.State. 8-0

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Clemson'll have a shot at the NCAAs by the end of the season, I think they could finish around the middle of the ACC, which likely puts them right on the bubble.

They've got a better shot at it than USC, unless our guys get their act together and start playing up to their ability.

11. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    73-52, I only saw the last 10 minutes of the game but we looked impressive. South Carolina could not score without Clemson answering with a basket

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    EDIT: Nevermind that, I'm an idiot.

Good win for the true Carolina, never trailed against the Cats.

13. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    watch out heels, your win streak over Clemson at the Dean Dome will come to an end this year.

:p

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I wouldn't go that far, but Clemson does have a good team this year. Still one of the few teams in the ACC with Big East-style tendencies (odd, considering they weren't part of the Big East) along with BC.

South Carolina's become a one man team with Tre Kelley and not much else.

I was at the game, even though I got up this morning feeling really weak from the cold I fought this week, not a pretty game for either team, really. Clemson played well for maybe the last 10 minutes or so, but not the rest of the game, and South Carolina didn't play well, period.

Is it sad that I'm still mourning the loss of Jeff Lebo as assistant (shooting) coach, which was back in '98 or so? Several jobs later, he's at Auburn now, but we still havent managed to have a really good shooting team since he left.

15. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    what do you mean by Big East tendencies?

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Big East style - tendency to like to bang it around inside, usually a good rebounding team, often commits a larger number of fouls as a result of their more physical play

ACC style - point guard oriented system that often involves big men playing more time on the perimeter, usually a better shooting team, but can often struggle on the boards, generally fewer fouls due to considerably less physical contact

Thats why I like ACC basketball.

17. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    Heels definitely looked "blah" today. You could see the letdown from Wednesday. But they played Kentucky's style and still won, so that was nice. Stephenson and Thompson continue to take steps and their contributions were nice considering Hansbrough was completely out of it today.

The schizophrenic Jayhawks strike again I see. :confused:

18. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    Tell me about it. I don't get these Jayhawks at all. A week ago they were scintillating. Brilliantly masterminding the foul trouble that would prevent the Gators from any flow during their matchup. Then this week they come up ICE cold against DePaul? How does that happen? The KU team has far too much talent to be shorting out in early games like this. It does not bode well for the Big 12 conference schedule.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I think Kansas, like so many other teams, is showing their youth with this erratic play - it'll settle down a bit come conference time, but the schedule does only get tougher from here.

Nice job by Duke in the second half tonight in stopping the Georgetown backdoor cuts, the play Duke is always most vulnerable to. That was the key to winning that game, even though they still didn't play all that well. McRoberts played a bit better tonight than he has been so far this year, and Paulus had a good second half as well, so we'll see where they go from here.

20. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I intended to watch Dook last night and got wrapped up doing other stuff. I saw a little of Arizona and Illinois, but not really enough to get an opinion on 'Zona. I did finally get a look at Kevin Durant with Texas and he was pretty awesome, though Gonzaga completely outclassed Texas.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, Durant looks pretty dang good. As do a lot of other freshmen, for that matter.

Speaking of star freshman, Greg Oden made his debut last night, recording a double double, something like 14 points, 10 boards, and 5 blocks in limited time and with his shooting hand in a bandage, so he was shooting left-handed, even though hes right-handed. Not too shabby, there.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Florida State beats the MIGHTY defending champs tonight.

Florida is seriously not a top ten team, I don't think they're even remotely close.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Florida is seriously not a top ten team, I don't think they're even remotely close.

How long have I been saying that?

I mean, sure, they can beat nobodies by 50 or 60, who cares. At least Kansas was a respectable loss, but Florida State really isn't that good. They're not horrible, but not that great, either.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I knew it was someone else who had a low opinion of Billy's Boys, but I thought it was Dal.

Yeah, they are nothing special, as far as I can see. Noah is a beast, but he alone cannot win games.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Noah's pretty good, but still overhyped, as some sports people would have you think that hes the best player in the last decade or more, which is ridiculous. Corey Brewer is also pretty good, though not as good as Noah, let alone the best players across America. Taurean Green is maybe a bit above average, Al Horford likewise, and Lee Humphrey your typical overrated white shooter who cant create his own shot.

Plus Humphrey still needs training wheels on his bike. :p