main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Neverwinter Tavern. No Gnomes Allowed,That Means You!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Is the platinum edition worth buying for the single player?

I know i'm like heretic for not playing this game, especialy after i spent so much time playing BG and pen and paper FR stuff but meh i'm cheap.

Then this game is made for you. Its as long and involved as BG, is set in the FR, and uses the pnp rules.

can anyone tell me the diference bettewn all of those online modes?

Not sure what you mean

2. Charlie81

Charlie81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    story, action. pw story pw action, and so on...

3. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Then this game is made for you. Its as long and involved as BG, is set in the FR, and uses the pnp rules.

pnp rules, nice, now all i need is some free time, read it like 60 hours of game play.

4. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    story, action. pw story pw action, and so on

There are a whole bunch of different games to play out there.

Story, is really self explainatory. You play the Single Campaign, but with other players too. Whatever you do and what they do effects everyone playing.
    You can play different chapters of each game in this aswell.

Action is strictly fighting and action based. A whole lot of killing, chaos and fighting goes into one of these.Usually a Full PVP (Full player vs. player)server, which pits you against other players. Good way to test your character's skills.

PW Anything means Persistant World. So whatever you do in that server remains done until the server is reset or crashes or whatever. These types of games are usually fan made worlds and servers where you can do a multitude of things. These games are usually well maintained and have groups of players that belong to them.
    The action based ones usually feature games like Cature the flag (very fun) andother team oriented battles, where as others might have king of the hill as well.

There are a bunch of other games types put there, but I forget them all. If you have any more questions about them specifically or in general, ask. Most people in here know what they are talking about.
    But basically what it comes down to is you just go out and find the style of gaming you enjoy playing the most and stick with that.

I have been gaming with a few friends I met randomly in one server, we now game often. We usually play different servers and different stles every time we play.
    Good times.

pnp rules, nice, now all i need is some free time, read it like 60 hours of game play.

If you want to get the full experience of the game, you will take longer than that. But no need to rush and try to do it all at once. It is worth it to take you time and enjoy the game. Find as many secrets and items you can. I have played through the whole campagn a couple times.
    Original Campaign : 3 starting my 4th time.
    Shadows : 4 times.
    Hordes : 3 times.

I found that playing through Shodows is a good and quick way to get a level 20 character. It might actaully be the same amount of game play to reach 20 as in the original campaign but it felt to go by much faster and easier.
    It was fun to level up 4 different characters. Each time trying new things.

This game really does kick ass. I wish I had the strength tonight to play it.

5. Charlie81

Feb 1, 2005
    Anyone wants to have a go at NWN chapter 2 with me right now?

6. Charlie81

Feb 1, 2005
    useless...

7. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Alas, I was recovering from a hard nights pwnage at GBG when you suggesting that there is a game "right now".
    I've not played NWN Online since... wow... ages, and I'd murder the opportunity to party up again.

8. Charlie81

Feb 1, 2005
    anyone?

9. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Sure I am up for a some NWN action, almost anytime.

10. Charlie81

Feb 1, 2005
    Anyone up for a game now?

11. EwOk_RoAdKiLL

EwOk_RoAdKiLL Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2005
    i think ewoks suck, personally.

12. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I'll probably be busy most of this coming weekend, but send me an IM at CrazyLikeTehFox if you guys're up for a game some time.

13. Charlie81

Feb 1, 2005
    I'm hoping that anyone in here can tell me what do i have to download to see sky and ceeling in the game.

I apreciate your help.

good things, good things.

14. Charlie81

Feb 1, 2005
    Ok, i know that we have to turn on the "enable skybox" option.

The problem is that its already active, and still no sky.

Can someone help me?

15. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Hummm. That does sound odd.
    Are you running the latest version of the game? I am not sure if it would influence the Single Player Campaign, since the updates are mostly for Online play but try and see if you can update it.
    That might help out.

I will check out the main site and see if there are related problems.

16. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I've been wanting to do a mod myself for a quite a long time but now I've finally managed to seriously start one. Previous attempts have all ended quite quickly because of lack of ideas. But this time I've managed to give some thought for the project and I'm positive I can actually manage to do something this time.

I've been playing a lot Rick Burton's fantastic paladin mods and SteveB's Blackguard trilogy and I wanted to make a mod that sort of combines these two series. So it would basically be a story about a young paladin who slowly slips towards the dark side. I got also some influences from certain movie series (that name doesn't have to be mentioned here).

I have mostly written the main plot and I've also created most of the main areas. Now I'm trying to come up with good enough sidequests and other small details for game settings. Of course one huge problem in mod making is the scripting but I've tried to study that subject a bit. But I think I have to look for some example in other mods and do some creative script copying.

This mod (or maybe I have to divide it in two or three parts) will certainly require a huge amount of work and since I'm also trying to finish my studies it's not going to be a playable for a long time but I still believe I can finish it before NWN2 is released. If I actually manage to make a reasonable good mod then I will perhaps release it for other gamers but if I'm not satisfied then it's not going to be released. But in any case this time I want to finish it at least.

17. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    That is cool Tod. I wish you the best of luck with your mod. If you have any questions you knwo where to ask them. I have had little experience scripting myself, but anythign esle...I would be glad to help out on. I will search for a tutorial on it some time here in the near future, once I get Charlie's problem fixed up.

This mod (or maybe I have to divide it in two or three parts) will certainly require a huge amount of work and since I'm also trying to finish my studies it's not going to be a playable for a long time but I still believe I can finish it before NWN2 is released.

Are you looking to do this entirely by your lonesome?Because I know we have been discussing creating a Mod, that everyone pitched in on and helped make. I think that it would be a great thing if we actually got that started one of these days. Even if it isn't with your Mod.

If I actually manage to make a reasonable good mod then I will perhaps release it for other gamers but if I'm not satisfied then it's not going to be released. But in any case this time I want to finish it at least.

I think you should release it on here for us to try before anything else. We can help test it a debug it.
    That is if you want to, but it might save you a bunch of work.

18. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    I was browsing through the HotU site and found this and instalation instructions.

It adds loads of simple and prestige classes to NWN with or without CEP. Just take a look at the prestige classes! Battlerager anyone? ;)

EDIT: Good luck with your mod Tod. :)

EDIT 2: The more read, the better it becomes!

19. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I know how to script

20. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Are you looking to do this entirely by your lonesome?

At the moment, yes. it will be a challenge but it may be possible. There are however plenty of problems and other issues ahead on the road.

One thing I probably should decide now before advancing any further is how much custom stuff I'm going to use. In other words what haks should I need. I'm not going to make any new haks since there's tons of great haks available already.

I've done quite a many areas for the mod already but I think I won't be using those. At least not before I've done some additional planning. After that it's not so big job to update those areas if necessary.

I think I'll use CEP at least but other than that I haven't decided yet. It's however all too easy to use too much custom stuff so this is very important issue.

PRC would be nice but I think I skip that since unless I want to write a totally new plot all those new prestige classes are useless for this mod.

Which leads to my perhaps biggest problem. The plot I've written is very linear with little different courses open to the PC. This makes in my experience easier to create more interesting stories than non-linear plots which often result in pointless wanderings and players might get bored.

The best mods I've played (most notably Rick's Paladin series and Savant's Aielund Saga) have very linear plots too but through excellent design player is somewhat wrapped into an illusion that he actually makes important choices during the story in a real living fantasy world.

Most importantly that requires interesting conversations through which the story slowly unveils. For me this is going to be a bit of challenge since I always love to write just very short precise sentences, while I should try to create a right feel for the module.

And I haven't exactly decided yet what kind of setting this mod would be situated to. I mean is it in Forgotten Realms or some fantasy world of my own. In any case I need to write some local history and also I have to figure out how local politics would work.

All this planning may seem to be a bit too much but if I'm going to make a mod I certainly want it to be a interesting one. One thing I've decided already is that hack'n slash should be very minimal. Just because PC might turn bad doesn't mean that PC would want to slaughter everything that moves. I would like more some very delicate cruelty. There are many ways how to be evil.

And one very important issue is still totally open. I mean the end. I haven't decided that yet. The plot is quite clear in the beginning with this new paladin trying to be good but slowly turning bad. I guess that will basically be the first act of the story. Then second act would feature more evil deeds and stuff (this is actually the part of the story that I've developed farthest but I rather not talk any details yet). But what will happen in the end, that's still an open question. Will there be redemption, destruction, both or what? I guess I have time to think that but still I have to give that some thought.

So this is mostly what's on my mind right now. If you have any more comments feel free to tell them. Once I manage to finish something I'll inform you again. Btw I wasn't going to write this long a post but somehow it just became this long.

Then I have one scripting question. I have made some guards to patrol the city. Now I would like that when night comes they would equip torches so that they could actually see something. And at the sun rise they would put torches back to backpack and patrol without them. I have a vague memory that I've seen something like this in some mod but I can't remember which mod it was. So if anyone can solve this please tell me too. I could ask the NWN forum but maybe later.

21. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Man I as so PISSED!!!!!!!!!

I haven't played since Oct. and I just tried to play my character from HotU. Well it said that I could not load it because it was done under a NEWER version?? What the hell is that. NONE of my other saves will work except my SoU save and I don't want to play that one now.

So I tried updating and the update will NOT finish and I have to start doing it all over again. This time # 4. I want to play can anyone offer advice?

22. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I haven't played since Oct. and I just tried to play my character from HotU. Well it said that I could not load it because it was done under a NEWER version??

Are you playing online Multiplayer, or Single Campaign?

23. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Jedi Solo, try the critical rebuild patch, here rather than using the internal update button.

And Tod
    One thing I probably should decide now before advancing any further is how much custom stuff I'm going to use.

IMO, CEP adds everything I would ever need, other than maybe portraits or specific stuff like that.

I haven't exactly decided yet what kind of setting this mod would be situated to.

I would just put it in the Realms, if its your first mod.

Ask your scripting question in the NWN forum, I know its pretty easy to do, but I don't have the game installed to try it.

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Hey Chim what's up? I am playing Single player. Hope you are doing well.

Flarestorm I will try your link thanks.

The download has only been getting to 71% but right now it is at 78%, 79% I will try it if I have to restart it again thanks!

25. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah I have been doing pretty well for myself. Once you get this mess sorted out we should play sometime.
    Multiplayer is a bunch of fun.

SPeaking of which, how'd it go? Did it download?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.