The Neverwinter Tavern. No Gnomes Allowed,That Means You!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich_meister Jedi Master

star 4
    My guy is a human fighter. I've played it for like 3 nights so far and he's on Level 5.
  2. Dan Chosen One

star 6
    I'm at the beginning of chapter 2. It's a good game so far, and pretty entertaining. I'm a level 7 Elven Ranger Warden.
  3. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    What the heck are gems ever used for? I've been carrying them around forever now, and never figured it out. I did find a book that mentioned using berries and something's gland to do something with lightning bolt, but nothing about gems. They don't seem to be worth a lot either.

4. Dan Chosen One

star 6
    Hmm, ask the dude in Neverwinter for access to the back room. His shop is located to the left and down when you exit the Halls of Justice. If you combine some special weapons (+1, +2, etc) with gems, you get magical weapons.
  5. Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    Havent had much time to play but I finaly got the cure for the plauge. Loving the game, just have a few complaints. The first is looting. I dislike the fact that I can't complelty strip a corpse of all that he has. All I get is the random pouch that drops with some lame items. One thing I loved about BG and various other RPGs is being able to take everything that the guy you just killed had on him/her, armor, weapons, ammo and anything else they had. My other problem is how the disarm skill works in game. The weapons disapear whenever I disarm someone. The only time I've seen a disarmed weapon lying on the ground was some magic Dire Flail. So I'm guessing that only magic weapons are shown lying on the floor after you have disarmed a guy. The only other thing that bothers me is how baren the city of Neverwinter appears in the single player campaign. In BG you had rats, cats and kids walking around to help the atmosphere of a city. But this is something that will probably be addressed in homemade modules. :)

Just a couple of questions. Has anyone been able to disarm someone who is duel weilding? I've been trying to do it but can never seem to do it. And can you disarm someone who has Stoneskin on?

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!
  6. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I've noticed that instead of atmosphere elements like rats, bats, etc, they have sound effects for those type things. It's not the same, but I suppose the theory is that with homemade modules, and multiplayer action, you want to limit the number of things running around on screen.

I haven't tried disarming anyone that is dual wielding, or under the effects of stoneskin. My Ranger's hawk sometimes does that stuff on its own, but I'm usually paying attention to my own character so I don't notice if the hawk has done any of those.

I understand the complaint about not being able to completely strip a character of their items (In Morrowind, it's really nice). It's especially annoying when you see a guy with a weapon you might like to try like a double axe. But later on, you might have so much stuff that you really don't pick up anything unless it's magic. I have three bags full of items that I'll never use, but, refuse to part with.

By the way, does anyone know what the best bow is? Right now I have one that boosts strength by 2, and gives a +3 to hit. Plus an Elven Kind bow or something like that.

Last, any word on expansion modules? I saw a belt for sale in one shop that requires level 24, and the game only allows you to go up to 20 I think.

7. Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    Apparently that was some glitch the play testers missed. It somehow caused the item generator to create item requirements above level 20, hopefully they fix it in a patch. By the way anyone seen any of the models for giant? Their huge. :D I was messsing around with the editor and came across them, they look pretty cool. Can't wait to go toe to toe with one. :)

-----signature-----

8. Tod Jedi Master

star 4
    Great I experienced the famous Pinnacle Bug at the end of Chapter 2. Now I'll just have to wait a patch to fix this so I can continue game.
  9. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Pinnacle bug?

I've seen giants, first hand... it's not good, and my Ranger has them as a favored enemy. Hill giants, not bad. Fire giants, danger. When you see something four times your height walk up to you with a sword three times your height, it's a bad day. I was cruising through most encounters, but having three giants on me was rough. Wiped out my bear quickly, and a few times hit me for 40+ hit points. There's a certain danger in only wearing light armor.

And now, a question. I came into a room where as soon as I entered, a little pop up description said "this room appears to be a fully functional lab." There is an altar, an alchemy station and a treasure chest to put things in and I have a fenberry, rakshasha's eye, a magical ring and a golden ring (not sure which is used). I have a tome that explains how to make a regeneration ring. As a handy bonus, since I'm not a wizard, I found a ring of melf's acid arrow to finish the spell. Does anyone know how to make the ring, or in general, use the equipment to make anything? I've tried various formulas, with no luck. I hope I don't need an empty bottle for anything, I sold them in chapter 2.

10. Tod Jedi Master

star 4
    Pinnacle bug?

That's in the end of Chapter 2 at the top of Host Tower. There's that gate with 3 major characters and some lizards behind it. Well the gate is locked and needs specific key as it says. From what I gathered from official site forums there's no key but when you get close to gate it should trigger a conversation after which gate should open. But in my case no conversation starts and gate remains closed so I can't end Chapter 2. Based on information on official forum this seems quite common problem but not everyone experiences it. I hope somebody solves this bug soon.

I'm starting to like my ranger. I'm currently on lvl 16 and Dex 25 (bonus 7) really makes life easier. CON is only 7 but that's not really important. My AC with light armor is 21 and when I use my parry skill of 30 very few things can hit me. And of course my character uses two weapons, long sword (Blessing of the Daystar) and short sword (just Short Sword +2 still). Parry skill makes combats very enjoyable to watch.
  11. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I only tried parry once when I was not very good at it, though now I dual wield. I'm not sure if my skill has been going up, unless it goes up with recommended. I should have probably stopped using "recommended" for skills a while ago, because I rarely use Animal Empathy. Though I don't use recommended for feats... I really don't need "Skill focus: Animal Empathy." I make Sigfried and Roy look like Johnny Carson when it comes to controlling animals.

I understand the pinnacle bug now... for me the door opened after I went down into the small room below. I thought the key was down there. It wasn't, obviously, but when I came back up the door was open and all the folks were gone.

12. Tod Jedi Master

star 4
    About disarming, my ranger was disarmed many times in early stages of adventure (and as I mentioned I use two weapons all the time). I just suddenly noticed that my character has only one weapon and the other was lying somewhere near. But since I boosted my will saving throw I haven't been disarmed.

I did perhaps a stupid decision when I started dual wielding right away in the beginning of the game since back then penalties are still very hard even for ranger. It's a lot easier to start with one weapon and start dual wielding later.

13. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    I just bought the game yesterday but my PC can't handle it I don't think. I have an AMD350MHZ processor and the box says I need a 450MHZ. That is okay though because I am ordering a Athlon 1900 in a few days.

Have yall played online together yet? Does it cost anything to play? I haven't read up on the game yet.
  14. DUM-4 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I haven't played online yet, and no, it doesn't cost anything to play online.
  15. Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    >>>I've seen giants, first hand... it's not good, and my Ranger has them as a favored enemy. Hill giants, not bad. Fire giants, danger. When you see something four times your height walk up to you with a sword three times your height, it's a bad day. I was cruising through most encounters, but having three giants on me was rough. Wiped out my bear quickly, and a few times hit me for 40+ hit points. There's a certain danger in only wearing light armor.<<<

:D I can't wait to get slapped around by one of them. :D

I still havent gotten around to online play either. There are a bunch of online communities that are using the game like a free MMORPG. It might take sometime though before we start to see some well developed worlds pop up.

-----signature-----

16. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    I've only played for a little bit but I wonder, Will I everntualy get a team your is the partner I higher my only allie?
  17. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I just reached Chapter III, and my heart is broken. :_(

(So tempted to look for spoilers?)

In any case, I?m loving this game. I do miss a few of the touches of the Baldur?s Gate series (the cats and dogs and rats thing being one of those little details that I missed), and in areas where there a lot of characters my 800MHZ Athlon just can?t keep up, and the end of Chapter II hit like a punch in the gut, but I?m definitely loving this game.

My Elven Paladin is kicking ass and taking names with dignity. Tomi is making for an interesting traveling companion. I tried what?s-her-name the klutzy Elven cleric, but I find I need Tomi?s lock picking and trap removal.
  18. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    As far as I know (I'm going through Chapter 3 now, and I think I'm close to the end), you never get a companion other than the one you hire, and you familiar/summoned creature that never really does much with you.

I kind of liked having the cleric, because of the healing and the ability to turn undead. She becomes more useless as the enemies get more powerful. Personally I like the monk (Grimjaw?) because he can damage everyone, and gets a lot of attacks. As for traps, when it comes to trapped chests, I shoot them with flaming arrows to smash them so I don't have to open them. As I went along, traps mattered less though, so now I just blindly run through places.

19. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    I have my motherboard and Athlon 1900 ordered now so it shouldn't be much longer. Also I am getting a free SoundBlaster Live, is that anygood or do I need something that is better? Recommendations please....
  20. Jedi Chikara Jedi Master

star 4
    I only play online, it's great fun. Been skipping around in all the chapters, three is the best I find. There's the forementioned fire giants, which are freakin' huge! And there's four dragons as well. :)

I'm playing a human cleric, level 13 at the moment. Clerics are terrific, and I'd say they're the best class, though of course I'm biased. ;)
  21. Darth_Simpson Force Ghost

star 4
    Heading out to pick it up today.
  22. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I've played online a few times, but I want to finish the game in single first. Sometimes it's tough online to find people that actually want to travel as a party. A lot of them just run around hiddly piddly. I like to travel in a group. Also you have to make sure you join the proper kind of game. I don't join the party, or full PvP games because I have no interest in fighting another player, especially since there are cheat codes out there. I don't cheat at games since I don't see the appeal. Why play? The good thing (or bad thing) about online is you can play other people's modules. A lot of wierdness, and a lot of "massive" XP or treasure finding modules (What my brother and I called Monte Hall gaming when we were young). So it has its ups and downs. I have found some good people.

Oh, and stay out of the chat room. It's a normal conversation for about two minutes, then usually turns into a lot of pre-teen swearing.

23. Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://www.alltimefavorites.com/minnesota/twin_cities/934p2.jpg]

"Wampas, you've just won yourself a +10 Vorpal Chainsword Of Smiteing. You could keep it or go for whats behind door number two." :p

-----signature-----

24. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Midway through the third chapter. Have a sudden urge to put on the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack.

?Lets do the time warp again!? :D
  25. Jedi Chikara Jedi Master

star 4
    Just learnt about the fifth dragon in chapter 3. Never knew about it, though I had the sneaking suspicion there was a blue one given a certain piece of armour another player was wearing... :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.