main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Neverwinter Tavern. No Gnomes Allowed,That Means You!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm thinking of buying the Platinum DVD version. Anyone know if it comes with an actual manual (a necessity for these games for me)?

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Probably, but if you have played Baldur's Gate series it will feel very similar. Theres also a tutorial at the beginning. All the spells and stuff are described in game. Dont think I ever used the manual

3. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    Yeah, I didn't use the manual either. Although NWN was my first D&D experience, I went straight to character creation (and made a mess of it I must say. Fighter-Rogue-Paladin!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: What was I thinking?)

Store editing? Dear, I must learn to ude the editor.

4. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I just like having the fat manual in which I can read about monsters and spells. Besides which I think this is 3E, which confuses me to no end (I really struggled in IWDII).

5. Obi_one_and_only

Jul 18, 2001
    Just check this image from Pirates of the Sword Coast premium module.

[image=http://www.sorcerers.net/Main/SotW/August05/Sharks.jpg]

6. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    I just like having the fat manual in which I can read about monsters and spells.

Too bad you can't really find any real information about either one of those in the manual.

7. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    What? So it's not like the BG manual?

What is in there? Lots of stuff about multiplayer and mods or something?

8. Obi_one_and_only

Jul 18, 2001
    There is a map in NWN and a decent manual (not as fat as BGII). The 2 expansions come in DVD cases, so don't expect much in terms of manual.

9. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    NWN manual has very very minimal spell descriptions which aren't really any use. But in-game every spell is described in full detail.

Also the manual has a tiny section about monsters but that section holds absolutely no useful information at all. It basically just tells you that dragons are dangerous and goblins are not.

Manual describes quite well all skills and feats, and especially in HOTU these are very important so you know how to develop your character. For example if you plan to someday get Epic Dodge for your character it's really important to know early on what are the requirements for that feat (21st level, Dodge, Improved Evasion, Defensive Roll, Tumble 30 ranks and Dexterity 25+).

And of course there's a bunch of somewhat useful charts and tables in the manual.

10. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    For a game that is based on D&D, manual is pretty lame.

11. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah, I didn't use the manual either. Although NWN was my first D&D experience, I went straight to character creation (and made a mess of it I must say. Fighter-Rogue-Paladin!!! shock shock shock What was I thinking?)

Nothing wrong with that combo. Focus on charaisma and dexterity and you have a pretty self suffcient character. In fact it has a lot more appeal then the stock pious knight in shinning armor. :) Personallly I've always liked the Paladin/Monk/Rogue idea.

12. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    I like Paladin/Blackguard.

13. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    yUo t3h ]=[@x00r5!!1 :p

14. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    What is that pic with the sharks from a new Expansion other than SoU or HotU?

15. Obi_one_and_only

Jul 18, 2001
    No, it is from the newest premium module Pirates of the Sword Coast.

A Paladin/Blackguard has very good bonuses (Pala +Black combined charisma modifiers +smite evil + smite good).

About my character: I had 10 dex and 8 char. Not good for thief or paladin. Maybe next time I will expand that.

16. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    It's an exploit though and doesn't make much sense. A fallen Paladin loses all his Paladin abilities and is considered a fighter minus all the extra feats and weapon spec. A Paladin is blessed by his god, upon breaking his vows and becoming lawful evil he ceases to receive favor from his former deity.

17. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Not in NWN.

18. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Depends on the server you play on. :p It's a known exploit which some servers have banned. There is also an unofficial bug fix for it. But your right as is, in the single player game Bio hasn't gotten around to fixing that particular bug.

Speaking of bugs, anyone know if Cursed Song is broke? A while ago I started up a NWN Jester but his Cursed Song had zero effect, it was like the thing was never going off. Mobs weren't even making saving throws, and the animation would never show. Since Cursed Song overwrites Bard song it also meant that my Bard song had zero effect on me. Leaving my Bard with his major ability not functioning at all.

19. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Never played on any server. I prefer single player mods.

20. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I always prefered campain than online playing. In all games.

21. Deciple_of_Malak

Deciple_of_Malak Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2005
    I just started playing the game. It is awesome! I'm green-skinned dwarf fighter. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.