main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Neverwinter Tavern. No Gnomes Allowed,That Means You!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Thousands of user made campains, online playing, the DM tools, the toolset, the actual normal campains, etc.

All of it=awesome.

Graphics aren't too bad, but not new...

2. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Damn.

I missed it!I went up a few days ago to buy it but it was already gone. :( Serves me right...should have bought it on the spot.

The only one I saw was for $30 still. DO you think that it would still be worth it?

3. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    If you're planning on utilising Neverwinter Nights to its fullest (playing fan-created modules, participating multiplayer games), $30 is a bargain.

4. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    How do multiplayer games work? Is it kinda like the server here for games?

What about the expansion packs? Anyone pick either of them (I have only seen twoout there ) up yet?

5. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    How do multiplayer games work? Is it kinda like the server here for games?

Well, there are various ways to play Neverwinter Nights in multiplayer. I'm not sure if you're familiar with MMORPGs, but there are various servers out there who are on 24 hours a day with a certain world where you can play in. You can also play a module with a couple of other friends, working together to solve the adventure, which can be very fun. There are also PvP modules, I suppose, where its each player for himself, kinda like a deathmatch.

The best NWN games(In my opinion) are played with one(or more) player acting as a DM in a module. Basically, this is about as close to a tabletop RPG session as NWN can get. Summed up, the DMs have the ability to fully influence the world around the players, allowing him to tell a story. He can spawn creatures in their path, change their surroundings or take over creatures and act like them. Basically, the DM becomes the storyteller, where the players are the main characters in his story. This option allows for humongous flexibility, where the players are able to dictate the storyline, with the DM being capable of fully improvising the adventure all by himself.

It's actually a little bit tough to explain how exactly this works. For me, it is the DM Client that still has me playing NWN(I'm currently in two DMed NWN campaigns) for the amount of flexibility that it offers, but also the easy-to-use toolset which allows me to generate adventures as well.

(maybe you might also want to visit nwn.bioware.com for more information)

6. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I appreciate all the info on the game and its multiplayer functions. :)

I have a few other questions.If you don't mind. ANswer only those you can or want to though.
    (keep in mind I didn't check out that link yet.)

Where do you find campaigns to join?

When you join the campaign, is everyone on the same ability level to start? Or does it vary between the games?

Can you join Campagns party through an adventure or do you have to be in from the satrt? Or as I assume does it change form GM to GM and Game to Game?

7. Malshabek

Malshabek Jedi Master star 6

Oct 10, 2002
    I'm having a problem in Hordes of the Underdark and I was wondering if somebody could help...

I'm curently in Chapter 3 and in the frozen part of the 9 Hells. I've encountered a large group of continuously re-spawning demons that I cant seem to beat. Every time I kill one, another one is transported in to take its place. I can't seem to kill them so I'm wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do other then pointlessly killing them over and over again?

Any advice would be welcome.

8. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Malshabek, keep fighting eventualy the horde of demons run's out.

Chim it depends on the DM. Some will start you at a level similar in power to the rest of the players or some DM's might have you start from scratch at level 1. Of course it's most likely that a DM would start you at a similar level in higher level campaigns. COnsidering that a level one will get slaughtered fighting Balors and such. Now with Persistant Worlds you generaly always start at level one and have to work your way up.

Neverwinterconnections.com
    Check out the link that Burrie posted if your looking for DM run campaigns.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

9. Malshabek

Malshabek Jedi Master star 6

Oct 10, 2002
    You mean the demons aren't infinite?

It certainly seems that way...

Thanks for your help. :)

10. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    So I assume that you all (for the most part) play online?
    Any of you ever play together on any adventures?

I was checking out that link that brrie sent me. What would be my best investment?

NVN GOld?
    NWN & SoU?
    NWN & HoU?

11. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    NWN Gold+HotU.

I've never played a JC game, but I play alot on weekends with friends from school.

Been to NWNconnections alot, and I really wanna do a DMed campain, but I've been too busy for now...

12. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    So you recomend the full package then?

Is there a server, persay, on the JC for it?

13. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Nope. There's hundreds of servers though, and you can always host your own, so finding one isn't a problem. There's so many modules, you just need to find one that suits your tastes.

Gold pack gives you the first expansion, and I really recomend Hordes after you learn to play, as its the best of the three official campains.

14. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    So the Hordes expansion is even better then the original?

How is the game in general ,as in relation to learning the game set up?(i.e. learning to play)

Are each of the Expansions relativly the same set up?

15. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Yes, I love Hordes.

The learning curve isn't too bad. It helps if you have a tiny bit of knowledge about DnD, or RPGs in general, but it really isn't needed; several of my friends had never played games like that before, and they love it. Read the manual while it installs, and take your character through the prologue/tutorial in the OC, and you should be fine.

Each expansion is somewhat different.

For the origonal game, you start in Neverwinter with a level one char, and adventure about the plot after that.

In Shadows, you start off in Hilltop, with a brandnew character, far away from Neverwinter, at the same time. Plotwise, they aren't connected at all-a completely seperate game.

Hordes ties the two together, somewhat. It takes place after Shadows, but you can make a new char rather than import your old one if you want. It ties the game back to Neverwinter also. In Hordes, you can't start at level one, as you would die. If you're not above level 15, the game gives you the xp at the begining to get you there.

16. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Where might be the place I could get NVN Gold the cheapest? I say it at Target I believe for either $39 or %29 I do not remember exactly.

Have you seen it out there for less?

I am snowed in today and would really be interested in bying it now. But limited funds at the moment might prevent me from doing so.

17. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Around me, Gold is generally $39.99 and Hordes is $29.99

18. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I looked online and found GOld from Best Buy to be $29.87 or somethign close to that. I have a Best Buy like 30 minute drive away. I might go out tomorrow and buyify it. :D

Hopefully they have it. If not,then I guess I can settle for the $39 one. I am just really anxious to try this game out. I have never played any RPGs before, so it should be a nice change to what I am used to.

19. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I picked up a copy of GOld the other day.
    I have read through most of the book that came with it. I really can't wait to play this game! :D

There a few things that I am still confused about though. I am going to load up the game tonight after my swim meet(or possibly now) so I will be playing a little later on tonight.

If anyone has any pointers for creating a character I would appreciate any help they have to offer a first timer. Anyone have any character classes that work especially well together or have suggestions to give me for getting started? Any specifics to-dos, and not to-dos I should know about?

I will appreciate any help or suggestion anyone can give to me. :)

20. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    You need to go with the class best suited for you.

One of my favorite character builds is a ranger/rogue. Good at ranged fighting and has nice abilities, but can't do magic, wear heavy armor, etc.

I've found that paladins are fairly easy and good starting characters, they give you good melee, some spells and abilities, that you can use while learning.

21. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    When making a character pay attention to the stats that are relevant to the character. For instance if your making a mage try and get your intelligence as high as possible or if your going Rogue focus on Dexterity, ect. Also look at the manual and see what skills and feats are reliant on certain stats. This way you can plan ahead with the development of your character as well as focus on skills that are directly related to your characters profession and main stats. For example if you choose to make a Fighter and equip him in Plate Mail then don't bother putting points into Move Silently or Hide. Because your armor will be to noisy and will give huge negatives to your MS/Hide skills. This is also important for Feat selection due to the pre-requisites for some of them. For instance Improve Disarm requires a Int. score of 13. So if you have a fighter and want him to learn that feat you will have to invest some points into Intelligence.

-----signature-----

22. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Yes Paladin seemed cool, it was one of the types I was leaning toward. There were a few that I really though would be cool to try out.

Any opinion about Druids? That character type seemed really cool to me. But I might be wrong.

Clerics looked kinda cool to try out as well.I like the healing power,seems like I can play god. :D

What are you guys opinions about Sorcerers/Wizards?

Any suggestions about choosing a Race? What Race works particularly well with what class? And so on and so forth...?

What is best for:
    Druids?
    Clerics?
    Paladins?
    Sorcerers/Wizards?

I assume that Human would be good for any of them.Since humans are the only ones I ever see pictured in the book as each class type.

23. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    I like humans due to the extra starting feat.

Druids are fun, but they get really fun with the shifter prestige class you get with HotU. Oh so fun.

24. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Yeah, Humans are great for that extra feat and bonus skills. Halflings are my second favorite, they make great Dex fighters but are easy to Knockdown and disarm due to their size and reliance on small weapons. Dwarves are also neat they get all kinds of abilities. They make great Monks and Wizards. Never cared much for Elves their special abilites are kind of weak compared to the rest. Although on my old server I had a PVP Elf Monk/Paladin that could really clean house.

Druids are fun. You can walk around with your own little army. Animal Companion + Summon Creature + Animal Friendship. They also get Harm which has to be the most overpowered spell in the game (Clerics also get that spell).

Between Wizards and Sorceres, Wizards are kind of better. They get bonus feats and there are more items that jack up Intelligence for them as opposed to Charisma items for Sorcerers. Not to mention the selection of spells they end up with. As with all casters including Druids and Clerics you really have to know your spells and where and when to cast them. I would start off with a melee type character untill your familiar with the game before jumping into a Wiz or Sorc.

-----signature-----

25. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I went with the druid to start.
    It is nice not having to be alone ever on your journey.(Wolf) It will be neat to gain control over others as well.

There is alot to this game. When I have more time I will bug you guys about it later. I have to post quickly before I go to sleep now. I will post much more in here tomorrow.

I have a bunch of questions that need answering, so I hope you are up for it. :)

Anyway,I appreciate all your help so far. More questions on the way. Talk to you tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.