main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The New AFTERMATH Discussion Thread (A Haven for Fans of Sanity) (no prerelease spoilers AT ALL)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I would like to reserve this thread for:

1) NO SPOILERS AT ALL until the Street Date for the book has arrived. If you have read spoilers elsewhere, please do not allude to them until then. This should be a thread where Spoiler Tags will not be necessary. Because before it's out, there will be no spoilers (for us weak-minded to be tempted), and after streetdate, an assumption that if you are in here you have read the book in its entirety, or don't care about being 100% spoiled.

2) PEOPLE WHO HAVE READ THE BOOK to discuss it.

Please respect this. Please let this thread be a haven away from generic Story Group Canon bashing. There are plenty of threads where that can happen, and even one for AFTERMATH where that is apparantly the thing to do. So. If you see something stated here that bugs or concerns you about the book, and you want to discuss it, and you haven't read it, feel free to tag the person who you want to ask about it over in the other thread.

It's okay to not like the book in this thread. I just ask that you have actually read it first. Thanks!

Thanks!

And with that:

[​IMG]

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Jeez, you wouldn't have lasted seconds on Death Star 2, all Sid would have to do is whip out Aftermath and declare he's read it. :D

3. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, so you're blowing up all the early copies so cutting off the source of temptation?

Interesting gambit.

5. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I'm compromising. I want to hang out in an Aftermath anticipation thread, but I know my weaknesses.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll allow this thread. I've edited the thread title to reflect that prerelease spoilers are not permitted in this thread.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Riv_Shiel, Revanfan1 and Taalcon like this.
  7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I've only read one excerpt from aftermath and wish to discuss and speculate what the book will be like.

Is this allowed on this thread or will I just be ridiculed for suggesting such a concept?

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Quite seriously, it's smart that you do.

9. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Not ridiculed. I considered allowing discussion of the chapter placed on Starwars.com (I've read that myself!) , but figured it might be best to leave it completely 'clean' here, if that makes sense!

___
    [​IMG]

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I feel bad that an offhand comment on my part might have been what triggered the LSG-bashing fest that befouled the previous Aftermath thread. My apologies to everyone involved and I hope this thread remains the hoped-for "haven of sanity." The Dark Disciple thread sure could have used one of those, I tell you what.

Anyway, I won't be receiving Aftermath or any of the other JTSWTFA books until September 12, which means I will be enduring a long eight days. I'll just have to spend them enjoying the Rebels Season One bluray set, which I will be getting on street date :D

Jedi Ben and Taalcon like this.
  11. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    If this works out, I will seriously push for having one of these type of threads for each new release, in addition to the Free-For-All threads on the book. It may actually contribute to World Peace.
    [​IMG]

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Motion to rename this thread The Greater River.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Honestly I was just asked by a user this morning if we could have a non-spoiler thread, and I said I'd strongly consider it. So I think it's something that people actually really want.

I'm probably going to start reading at 12:01am so I can go on the internet safely.

I'm probably not going to do Force Friday after all. 5 books is painful enough, I don't need to spend money on poorly-painted plastic.

Except Phasma. I still want Phasma.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Magog, Revanfan1 and Taalcon like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Best to play it on a case-by-case basis I'd say. Not every book will be subject to the same level of scrutiny and anticipation that Aftermath has been.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I want a non-spoiler thread for the hotly anticipated sticker books. There's not been a single leak or sample posted of those, so security must be super tight.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wasn't there a coloring book thing though? I know, I know, sarcasm

Anyway, I'm not really trying to avoid spoilers for this one. Sure, it'll probably contain hints here and there about stuff for TFA and maybe even Episodes VIII and IX, but for the most part I imagine it'll be more or less self-contained, besides the other two books in the trilogy, of course.

I guess my chances of reading Aftermath this week depend on people's reception of it. Unless everyone's like "OMGZ THIS IS, LIKE, WICKED ****ING AWESOME", then I'll be content waiting for the paperback.

17. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Or more accurately no teenage stock clerk in Wal-Mart or Books-A-Million goofed on those boxed items yet. :p

18. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Good idea for a thread, that other one has become frightening. :p

Anyways, only a few more days till this is out. I'm quite excited.

spicer and Taalcon like this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I had a dream that I got Aftermath early and was reading it. It was mostly nonsense though.

Except the part where Luke stays on Endor to help the Ewoks rebuild, which was 1/3rd of the dream novel. I'll be disappointed if this doesn't happen, now :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

starfish, Revanfan1 and Taalcon like this.
  20. Darth Kermit

Darth Kermit Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2013
    This is definitely the book I've been most looking forward to so far. I'm hoping that there are quite a few nods to what's to come in TFA. I'm probably in the 1% from what I've seen on the forums so far lately, but I've been really enjoying the NEU. Granted I didn't read anything post ROTJ in the 'Legends' EU. Still need to get round to Dark Disciple but that will have to wait until after the Force Friday massacre on my Kindle!

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If you're in the 1% you should buy the book for the rest of us.

22. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    [​IMG]
    #JelloDreamCanon

23. Darth Kermit

Darth Kermit Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2013
    Not that 1%, firmly at the bottom of the 99% in that aspect!!

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    You're far from the only one, despite what it may look like in some...okay, most...threads. We don't always have the loudest volume, but we're out there.

25. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    Totally. Other than Heir to the Jedi, I've been quite pleased with the new canon novels thus far, and even that book wasn't bad, per se.

The Positive Fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.