The new and improved fanfic question thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Herman Snerd, Jul 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jedi_Achika Jedi Youngling

On various fanfic websites I have met two expressions I don't understand: "plot bunnies" (I always imagine some small, white rabbits running around) an "cameo
    appearance". Can someone explain these to me, please? (Note: I'm not American nor English, so some phrases which are obvious to you are not obvious to me, and I can't find them in a dictionary).
  2. princess-sari Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well, here's the TFN Fan Fiction Archive's definition of a plot bunny:
    Plot-Bunny - Also sometimes PLOT DEMON, SNIPPET or OUTLINE. Fanfic plots or ideas. Fanfic writers swap, adopt or exchange plot bunnies. Inspired by a quote from John Steinbeck: "Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen."

A cameo appearance (or role) is a small but important role played by a well-known actor. In fanfiction, we don't have actors, obviously, so it refers to a small but important appearance by a well-known character--like Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Qui-Gon, Yoda, Leia, etc.... For example, if you wrote an original character fic set in the Jedi Apprentice time period, but had Qui-Gon show up at some point to give one of your characters some vital advice or information, then Qui would have a cameo appearance in your fic.

I hope that explains those two expressions, Achika. If not, just say so and I or someone else can try to explain them better. :)
  3. Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Please, someone with a good SW curse vocabulary...

In the SW universe, what would be a particularly harsh, insulting one or two word thing to call a person in the heat of the moment after discovering they've attempted to do some dastardly, underhanded deed? Something non-vulgar for a PG-13 fic, please.

I've thought of Hutt-slime, but it doesn't seem to fit. This is said one Sith to another.
  4. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    Well, if you want, for a fee, I'll let you use the one Han calls a certain person in my fic. "A bottom feeding Dianoga."
  5. Herman Snerd Jedi Master

star 6
    You mean 'nerf-herder' isn't a vile insult anymore? ;)
  6. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's a question bugging me. What do they call the days of the week in Star Wars?

Is it okay to refer to Friday or Monday?

I realize that all planets have different week lengths, but you'd think they'd be some kind of galactic standardized time system, for use in the military perhaps. Anyone know?
  7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn The Another Saga & CT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    The Tapani sector has a calendar of that nature, but I don't know what the rest of the galaxy uses.

The coral growths would probably require surgery, as they tend to bond with the internal organs and bones.
  8. Herman Snerd Jedi Master

star 6
    Besides Mon Mothma and Bail Organa, who were some of the early political leaders of the Rebellion. (and don't say Garm Bel Iblis)
  9. sabrelight Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi! Guys, wonderful idea herman. I have some questions, can any one answer them-cuz my fic is stuck till these are answered, thanks in advance.

What kind of command ship does Vader use in the beginning of the emperial rule-the first five or so years.

When does the executor become his command ship.

How long would it take a pilot to graduate from the naval academy.
  10. sabrelight Jedi Master

star 4
  11. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    Um, I'm being kinda lazy right now, but I'm sure you can find the answers to your questions at:

[link=http://www.theforce.net/timetales/] TimeTales Chronology[/link] For the first two questions and

[link=http://www1.theforce.net/CUSWE/] Unofficial Encyclopedia[/link] for the last.
  12. sabrelight Jedi Master

star 4
  13. Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 4
    You're welcome. Having any trouble doing that?
  14. Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Kitt327: I think that "standard time" is based on Coruscant. And I'd just say something like "the last day of the week" for Saturday.
  15. Herman Snerd Jedi Master

star 6
    Where was Han Solo born? (and don't say 'Corellia') :)

I'm looking for a town, district, province, state, or something like that.
  16. Herman Snerd Jedi Master

star 6
    Come on now. You people can't all be as dumb as I am.
  17. padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    *puts a dunce cap on Hermie's head*
  18. padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    *puts a dunce cap on Hermie's head*
  19. Herman Snerd Jedi Master

star 6
    You be careful there, luney. I have the death sentence on twelve systems. ;)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.