main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE NEW AND IMPROVED SUPER-DUPER COSTUME AND PROPS THREAD !

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by darth_hair, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    You are happy to have all my coupons from this week, how shall I get them too you?

2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I have officially gone off the deep end... In other words, I've taken on a costuming project for myself, in which I would be wearing A DRESS!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: [face_laugh]

First up, the Mary Surratt Gallows Dress, after that I want to make the one from her portrait. Now, I am not an intricate sewing person. I do simple lines, on a good day. Deconstructing and reconstructing complex things like hats...that's my strength, but not this dainty and exacting kind of stuff. So, I'm going to need help. I have already done a fair amount of research, and I believe I've narrowed the gallows dress down to two out of print Simplicity patterns (4551 and 7212).

My reference photos

Now, I have found a website that will custom make this kind of thing, but they only do it based on general sizes. I am not a general size. I have a long trunk, short legs & arms, and even when I was "thin" I didn't have a waist (there's a VERY narrow gap between the crest of my hip bone and the bow of my rib cage, and that's it). So, that would be a last ditch solution.

I'm sincerely hoping that I can count on some assistance, expertise and support to get this project done by August??? [face_praying][face_batting]

3. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    So, I stopped into the local Tandy this afternoon.

Tandy worker states: hey there was another guy in here talking about Star Wars and making a Jango costume.

Mel states: We are everywhere,(Ha) what was his name?

Tandy worker states: Not sure, but he was cute and had nose ring....and was kind of a smart ass......

Hmmmm....any thoughts as to whom the mystery shopper may have been?:confused:

4. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Thanks, CYR... That was my best laugh of the day [face_laugh]

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
  6. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    shucks [face_blush]

7. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    [face_laugh] i literally laughed OUTLOUD!

8. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    DH -- one of a kind.

Don't knock over any liquor stores; apparently you're easy to identify!

9. cyodarun

Apr 23, 2002
    Had a revelation about my Mando "back plate" at about 3:00 am.

[face_dancing]

10. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I made a list of all the pieces I am missing to complete my Bastila costume. It is depressingly long, and time is short. Does this count as progress?

11. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    For you, yes a list is progress. For me, a list is counter productive and confusing. You will use a list and complete tasks, I will lose and find it after starfest... still uncompleted.

Here is a link of what I have been up to
    http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff64/darthhair/jango%20progress%20pics/

12. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I've still got a lot I need to do too. Although the risk of me loosing my own lists are pretty high, I will forget stuff and figure out I still need to do it at the last minute.

13. cyodarun

Apr 23, 2002
    Picked up a most awesome back plate and Mando vest from the most coolest of Sith Couple's - I do believe we will be nearly functional come Sat. morning. =D=

...and all Velcro has been added to all armor pieces...now for the suit.

Oh...have a couple of auction items to finish....working on it!

14. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Sewing is a pain in the butt. [face_tired]

15. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    It feels weird... I am not debuting any new costumes at Starfest this year. No last minute project, no mad crazy scramble... just the usual last minute packing.

But since my snowclone ahsn't sold, I am planning on re-doing the boots, acquiring officer pistols and holsters and repainting it as a Captain Rex. But I can work on that over the summer. I don't expect I'll want to wear it much in the heat of summer.

16. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    No new costumes for me either, but there will be the Denver debut of Rancor Keeper. :)

17. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I went on strike last night. Didn't get anything done except a load of laundry. So far I've added a grand total of one piece to the bastila costume. Still a lot missing, doubt much more will be done before the con.

I'm nervous about bringing my pilot helmet out on the plane. Not sure if I want to risk it or not. Maybe if it can fit securely in carryon.

18. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    T- we have a red 5 helmet you could borrow, one less thing for you to travel with. Not sure how well it will fit, but worth a try.

19. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I used a soft motorcycle helmet bag to carry a helmet last time I flew with a costume. It protected it and fit in the overhead/under the seat in front of me. You might want to try one of those... if you can find one cheaply & easily.

20. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    speaking of those soft helmet bags, I wast to buy many of those and I can embroidery on them. The fabric isn't the best & I need to work with the needles or something I use to make it look better, but we would all have custom bags/

21. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    can i get one to carry around decapitated heads? :oops:

22. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Nnay, you're supposed to shrink those and keep them on a shelf. :rolleyes:

23. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    That would be very cool if you could get it to work. :)

24. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Well I've done one, it worked, by not by my standards. Fabric we tearing away from the design, I'm thinking it was the needle, I will need to use a ball point instead of a sharp, one slips through the weave the other doesn't.

If it's not that than it the stabilizer, if it's not that than it?s the thread if it?s, you get the picture. So this will happen, I just need to figure that all out & that always cost $, had more important things to spend it on recently.

25. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I think I will do that, or else go helmet-less. Thanks! I do love my helmet, but it would be easier and safer to leave it here this time I think.

I do have one of the soft helmet bags, and it works great for carrying it around locally. I think it would probably also work for traveling as you describe. However I want to bring my laptop so I can get some work done on the plane, and can have only one carry-on. I experimented and found I could just barely, barely fit the laptop and helmet both in the helmet bag, but it is very tight.

Yeah, didn't get anything else done on Bastila tonight. I fooled around with the shoulder pads, but wasn't quite getting it right. So I'll just bring what I have, and maybe or maybe not wear it to this thing on Fri night.