main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE NEW AND IMPROVED SUPER-DUPER COSTUME AND PROPS THREAD !

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by darth_hair, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    I got stuff cut out

2. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Thanks guys! Does anyone do armor parties around here?

3. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    I have my version of the pink dress with red sweater River wears in the episode Safe for sale if anyone is interested, size 14/16.

4. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    Kim, do you wanna try in my Star Trek TOS costume mock up on to see what changes need to be made for you?

5. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Yes, I would love to get that done for DCC :D

6. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    Just let me know when you want to get together!

7. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    I just managed to insert a zipper nearly perfectly on my first try, progress!!!!!!

8. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    Woke up feeling the urge to make more alterations, which means starting over in getting the sleeves right, I am nuts!

9. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    We know that :p

10. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    I woke up feeling the same way, but I had to drive to work instead. Total bummer.

11. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
  12. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I have started considering making the dress that Inara wore in Jaynestown (here). The patterned fabric seems hard to find though. How can one go through (so far) 1200 different fabric prints, with such bizarre offerings, and still not find anything remotely close?

13. jedijaysin

jedijaysin Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 15, 2011
    My wife and I are doing a Kayle and Jayne Cobb thing this year for star fest,and a doctor who theme for our friends the next day (I just got a 12 foot Doctor Who scarf for my B-Day!),And it will go great with the K-9 I made for them last year.

14. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Not sure how I missed your post. What do you mean by armor 'party'? We do Sith Sweat Shops, dh is the only one with a vacuum form table. We've all made X-Wing costumes together and other things but usually they are smaller get togethers so Jeff can help better on a one to one kind of thing. Some members are getting confident in pulling and trimming and can help out as well.

15. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    The 501st is doing an armor party on march 9th in Westminster. You are welcome to check it out, if interested.

Drop me a PM for details.

16. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    My projects list keeps changing!

17. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
  18. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Started on a proper IN tunic. Doing lots of researching. Gotta get back to my victorian copper skirt someday (jacket almost done). Here are my victorian patterns I bought:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My outfit is black velvet and copper.

19. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Super pretty!!!

20. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    SLOWLY working on a Beetlejuice costume for the hubby... And a Lydia one for me. I'm working on the wedding scene at the end- so the red tux for him and the red tulle dress for me.

catz44 likes this.
  21. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I decided to hold off on the Inara costume for now. I can't start yet another new costume without finishing some of the in-progress work that was never done.

Yesterday I pulled one of my in-progress/fabric tubs out of the storage shed and down to the house. I think I might have a look at my Qetesh costume. But one tough point on it for me - I started making it before the Continuum movie came out, working off what preview pictures I could find online. When the movie came out I discovered that I was quite off on what I thought was the color for it. Oy. Now I'm left wondering if it will be possible to dye it darker. It was so much effort to make the bodice (almost completed) ... I don't think I could make myself go back and start from scratch using new material.

22. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Depends on the fabric. Dark colors tend to bleed. Alot. If you do dye it, make sure you hand wash it several times in clear water to set the dye (some of it may run). You might have to dye it a few times to get it the right dark color you are looking for. And as always, read the directions on the dye bottle. Hope this helps.

23. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yes, the fabric is the question. Some take dye well, others not so much. Or at all. I'm trying to go from a bright gold to a dark dusty gold. It's a synthetic fabric, and I've always had the impression synthetics aren't so friendly with the easy dyes. *shrug* Will have to see.

24. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I am realizing it is a very good a thing it is that I am completely anal about documenting my work. Not anal enough, mind you - I wish I had more notes - but at least somewhat helps.

I unpacked the pieces of my in-progress Qetesh costume. The corset was mostly assembled, but the multi-layered skirt was still in separate pieces. Looking at those pieces, all I could think was... WTF was this?? [face_hypnotized]:confused:Pieces were even labeled. Too bad I didn't note down what my cryptic acronyms meant. Clearly I had a plan for putting those pieces together, but how they fit sure wasn't evident looking at them now.

Luckily I wrote a brief outline of concept in the sewing project notebook S__C gave me years ago. I had also written some in-progress entries in my LJ. Together with the photos, I think I've finally figured out what the heck I was doing. For the overskirt, at least. I have what looks like an underskirt sewn together (sans hems), but the lengths and shapes of the front panels don't seem right. Can't remember if this was an earlier version, meant to be the final version but had issues, or was a correct final that I just don't understand now.

It looks like I stopped working on the overskirt at a time when one of my panels was cut on material laid out the wrong direction. I just checked, and I think I have just enough spare material left over to cut a new piece the right direction. Lucky, considering I bought it in 2008 and had a hard time finding it the first time.

25. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Since it's been so long and my memory is crap, I went back and tracked down all my posts here and on LJ regarding the Stargate costume, and copied them into one document. Reading it reminded me of things I'd forgotten. For example, I'd thought that I'd chosen the color I used for the bodice based on having poor reference pictures before the movie came out, thinking it was a lighter color. Turns out that wasn't the case - it was because I was stuck on the assumption that the metallic hue of the bodice was required to match the metallic hue of the skirt. I had a very difficult time finding the skirt material and basically had only one option for it. From there, I thought I needed to use a lighter bodice base material to match that skirt material. It was only after the movie came out (and I'd mostly finished sewing the bodice, agony) that I saw the colors didn't necessarily match.

Tonight I did a dye test on the base fabric of the bodice, trying to take it from a light gold to a somewhat darker gold. I used a mix of tan and navy blue RIT dyes because that's what I had on hand. I pretty much didn't expect it to work (I suspect the material is 100% polyester), but to my surprise the material did darken notable, and to a reasonable dark gold color. Before I forget - I used 1/2 water with 1/2tsp tan dye and ~1/2tsp blue (not measured well). About halfway through I added an arbitrary amount of tan in, maybe 1/2tsp more? I simmered the mix for ~45min? I added water to bring the level back up whenever it got too low.

There are several other considerations for dying it, though. First, I will have to see if the 45min simmer shrank the fabric at all. Second, the bodice is made of three materials. In addition to the one tested above, there is a crochet overlay with metallic thread decorations, fabric unknown, as well as a stiffer backing fabric. What will the dye do to the color of the crochet overlay? Will the process shink or unevenly impact any of the three fabrics? The base of the bodice was a regular job, but even after five years the pain of sewing that crochet material into the bodice is not forgotten... if I mess it up, I would cry. Seriously.