main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE NEW AND IMPROVED SUPER-DUPER COSTUME AND PROPS THREAD !

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by darth_hair, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Jedi_Pilot

Jedi_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Well, I might be around Saturday, it depends if we get everything done by end of Friday.

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Allison, you don't really have to worry about the sizing of the pattern... I'll have to teach you a little trick :D

First is it too small or too large?

When you lay out the pattern the different sizes are all stacked on each other, well there is method to that madness. If you lay a ruler on the same corner of the different sized patterns you should be able to draw a line going either in out out of the pattern. Do this on all the areas that change size (you may need to transfer to a different piece of papers). Then figure out (by comparing the size chart to the actual measurements of the pattern pieces how much you will need to expand or decrease the pattern to fit you. Mark it off on the diagonal lines you have made then connect the dots to make your new pattern!

For the best fit I will take any pattern and sew it first in muslin. I try it on and mark all over it with a crayola marker so that I know where to let it in or let it out. Then I make the final pattern out of the muslin. :)

Maybe if the EB thing is held at my house I'll show you all how to do this technique :D

3. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    It's too small, unfortunately. I think I see what you're describing for changing the size, but if you could show us all in person sometime that would great. It sounds like a very useful technique.

I think I may first call and ask if the store has the other sizes in stock; if so, I can stop by on the way home and exchange them faster than I can redraw the pattern, probably. All I did was unfold the pattern, I didn't cut anything, so I should be able to return/exchange it.

At least, I think it's too small, according to their little size chart with measurements on the back. OTOH, I remember going by one of those for my Arwen dress, and I ended up going down 4 sizes on that when I adjusted the practice dress! Not sure what was up with that. Aurgh. I don't want to start by making this too small, but I'd like to start close to the right size because of the time shortage. *sigh* It's easier to make something smaller than larger after the fact, so I'll probably start with the larger size and bring it in if needed.

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Does it show the finished measurements on the pattern? Sometimes a pattern will list that. And that's what I go by on some things.

5. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    :eek:

the. pics. look. AWESOME!!! THANKS JEFF!!!

6. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    Nooooooo!!! Stop taunting me!!! You're making me want a lightsaber even more!

Must...get...Darth...Hair...sketches...SOOOOON...gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhghhh...

7. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Skirt cutting done! Will leave pinning for tomorrow, though.

JGoC - at first glance, I'm not seeing anything detailing the finished measurement, unfortunately. Oh, well. I'm starting with something that will probably be big, I'll just have to take it in a bit.

8. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Finally got started on the Flight Helmet Tutorial [face_blush]

Hope to be done by the end of next week. :) If Darth RL leaves me alone long enough :p

9. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Tonight I'm getting started on my costume, I just figured out how many days I have left & it's real close to panic time, so I can begain.

10. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    **looks at above post*** pouts**

O.K. so I didn't start on it, but tonight I am. Hope to have it done by Sunday.

Oh, need to PM JGoC.

11. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    She's at work 'til midnight

12. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Not tonight, but tomorrow, yes. Then next night maybe :D

So I don't want to go with all frumpy colors, so I added a navy blue & a deep pink & Jeff doesn't think the colors look good together. Should I go will all frumpy natural colors or what?

13. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Depends on how the shades look together, I guess. I did notice that some of the pictures for these costumes had bright colors that I wouldn't have put together for regular clothes. For my own, I'm going with darker shades of green and some white. (Whenever I get back to working on it that is... oy, panic time! Panic time this week!)

14. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    the hilt is even more awesome in person! If you guys haven't seen this hilt, you HAVE TO SEE IT! Jeff rules.

15. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    I think he rules too :D

Alison, yes we need to work hard this week, I didn't get much done :(
    I thought most patterns were the same so I got yardage off one pattern & the one I got takes way more for the blouse, so back to the store I go.
    Oh, I have elastic, I think Jeff picked up the eyelet maker from Leah. So don't get that stuff ok.

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Several hundred years ago people had a different concept of what looked good. They used complimentary colors, so red and green dresses were not uncommon.

Here's a link to an article you may find helpful.

17. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Nope, didn't help much sorry. The colors I'm using are not listed.

18. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Eh, oh well. Just as long as they look decent together it shouldn't be a problem :)

19. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Got my glowire stuff in today. Not quite what I was expecting...doesn't look like this stuff can really be used for an EL saber too well. A 9v won't juice 1 of the EL tapes very much let alone 2 to get the coverage for the whole blade.

Might have a line or some better EL tape from someone in another fanforce though.

20. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    What color do yu have, JD? And what inverter did they sell yu? Most of their inverters can take up to 18V, so yu might try to use 2 batts......let me kno all the gory details, and maybe I can help yu salvage the deal.....keep in mind that EL tape needs a lot more power than wire. The tape itself is no diff than what yu'd get somewhere else, and the inverters are pretty much stock issue, too, but some mods can be done.

21. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Not much was done @ my house last nite. I needed to go to the store, I talked Alison in to going with me :D
    Found shoes to wear, not pretty, but comfortable.

22. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    I only got a 9v inverter thinking I wouldn't have room for the bigger inverter and 2 batteries.

I got blue tape. The problem with the tape itself is it takes so much juice to get bright AND the way it's built, it's too narrow w/ lamination on the sides (I can cut that off), but there's this black strip down one side of each piece that is black and doesn't light up.

Jedi-Loreen should be PMing me soon to let me know where she gets her EL tape for her blades. From what I hear, Parksabers doesn't hold a candle to hers in brightness (pun not intended). So I want to find out from her what she uses and how...and I'll definitely be passing that along to you when I find out Tim.

I'll need to go somewhere I can solder when I get all my stuff together anyway (don't think I'm allowed to do that in the dorms even if I had my own soldering iron and stuff). I might be able to swing doing it in the shop, but it raises to many questions to use their supplies (have to go back and ask Crypto if I can use their stuff if I wanna do it). Anyway, it'd just be easier to go up to one of you guys that can do it in your garages.

23. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Your alway welcome to come & play with Jeff :D Not sure if we have a hot stick thing or not, but he will.

24. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Okay Tim, it looks like she pretty much does what you were talking about with the wire. She takes an inner and outer tube, puts a diffuser inside the outer tube and wraps EL wire around the inner tube.

25. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    Yea, bro, I kinda figured.....I really researched before I started my katana, and that's exactly why I went with green and wire, to get the brightest blade I could. Now, there is a little deal concerning the HZ issue that I've not had the chance to work out yet......it seems that up to a certain point, the amount of HZ kicked across the EL, the brighter the phosphors glow, because basically what's happening is that the phosphors(crystals)are being agitated by a faster cycling. Most inverters for EL material of any kind has the HZ set from a 200Hz steady to a 4,000-8,000Hz pulse, but I've been unable to figure out how to increase the Hz by itself(something about a clock oscillator?!).....any electronics' wiz's out there?! Here's another deal.....the brightest EL rigs to date list the max voltage at 110V and the Hz at 8,000Hz steady.....keep in mind that any EL piece can be wired directly to a wall-socket(110V@60Hz), but it won't be very bright, so high amperage is not the issue.......now a stun-gun's electronic's board is set to take a single 9V batt and turn that into a voltage burst of ~250,000V(milliamps, but huge volts!)......if that tech could be applied to a streamlined lightsaber board with the HZ kicked up to, say, 12,000Hz AND have the voltage set at a steady 110V, I think we would have brilliant EL blades!!! The life on the material itself would be greatly shortened(probably down to less than 200 hours)and it would need a couple of 9V's for duration, but in the meantime, what a blade!!!!