main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE NEW AND IMPROVED SUPER-DUPER COSTUME AND PROPS THREAD !

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by darth_hair, Jun 9, 2003.

1. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    so do you still have any of those polycarbonate blades on hand?

2. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Okay, it turns out I was mistaken. Apparently she just takes one 10' strand of the EL wire and runs it up and down the tube with something to diffuse it. Apparently it looks great and glows brilliantly.

requesting pics of course...

pics here

3. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    You do know that's an RL person right? :)

And from what I am told, they are quite impressive in the dark.

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Finished sewing my skirt last night, and cut out the material for my blouse this morning. Hah. It will be done, even though the corset looks to be more complicated than I originally assumed.

5. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    One of our flightsuits was too small, so I just ordered a bigger one this morning. Should be here Friday. Got 4 Scout waist pieces/pockets either started or finished. Got 4 pairs of Scout boots either finished or almost finished. Birr still needs black gauntlet gloves that will fit him.

Armor's still in clay. Erf. That will change tonight. Last minute? Hell no. There's still...well...a couple nights left. LOL.

Dum dum dee dum...

6. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Well I have the base of my french hood done. Looks very cool and it wasn't at all hard :D I'm thinking about making more, it was pretty fun.

Been putting off drafting the pattern for my bodice... gonna do it tomorrow morning before work.

7. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Well now I know it's an RL person (her last PM told me to read her threads about her blades on the RL forums).

This looks like it might be a good way to go. I'm going to take a crack at it. Plus the inverters she uses are smaller (she said they'll fit within a 1" ID pipe).

8. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Aurgh. All set to cut out my corset this morning, but I can't find my fabric scissors and the regular ones are too dull. SC, I may have left the blue handled scissors at your place...? (Though I could swear I remember putting them in my backpack) I'll have to come home from work at lunch with another pair of scissors to get this done.

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    good news guys! it looks like i'll be coming home on leave at the end of october. that means i'll be in town for halloween, and i want to make a new costume for the occasion. i'm thinking of making a dark jedi/anakin aotc costume with the sleeveless robe/cape. any ideas on where to start with this?

10. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Yeah, right here!! I've wanted to make one of those robes :D I also have tons (& I mean tons) of fabric.
    I think my next Jedi robe will be along those lines as well.

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    cool! what kind of fabric do you have? do you have any kind of pattern for the robe?

12. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I have a robe pattern that includes the cape thingy I think you're talking about... But I think Kim has the same one too.

13. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    what pattern is it? maybe i can find it online

14. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I'll get the # for it tonight and post it. :D

15. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Ben, I have all kinds of fabric. I bought a bunch of white so I can dye it, because I didn't know what colors I would need for other peoples costumes. Most of it is cotton, cotton blends, brown, tan, dark grey, light grey, green, black (lots of black). Lightweight for tunics, heavier stuff for robs. If you want something else let me know, I get 50 &40% off coupons for Joann's and next week they have there patterns on sale for .99 (they don't have the cents symbol on my keyboard, is that odd?).
    I'm a thrifty costume maker, sorry maybe it's just me I'm thrifty (so I can spend money on toys & fun stuff :D ).
    Let me know what you think, PM me any ideas or post them here.

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    You know what Kim you've given me an idea :D

Why doesn't everyone post money saving techniques they use when making costumes?

My tips:
    -For a corset instead of buying expensive boning just go to home depot and pick up the green strips of plastic they use to bind the wood together. It's free and pretty good.
    -If you want to make a fancy looking costume and don't want to spend all that money on fabric go to the local thrift store and look for old clothes you can harvest the fabric from :)

17. EdayuIsFreakishlyBig

EdayuIsFreakishlyBig Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2003
    Uhm, I'm not sure if this is acceptable or not to post on this requesting what I am about to request, but seeing as Leah keeps herself far busier with her own stuff and the occasional other person's outfit than anything she'd make for me... is there a possibility that I could commission/pester/plead/ask someone to make a costume for me? Maybe a Hoth Rebel outfit.. or heck even a Jedi, just... well get back to me if any are up to it.

18. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    well we decided for C3 we will be traveling as a family of you guessed it JAWA'S. a small brown hooded out fit for the kid should be close enough.

19. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Steve - If you can get the pieces together, we help you customize them for our version of the Endor Trooper... I'll bump the thread so you can see what all it would involve.

20. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    haha dude a hoth rebel trooper would be cool . then i would have someone to shoot [face_devil]

21. EdayuIsFreakishlyBig

EdayuIsFreakishlyBig Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2003
    Coolness, I'll get together the Endor Outfit with the quickness if possible... might have to wait for about a week or two to get it all when I get the fundage, but thats no real problem. None the less, thanks Zoo.

22. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    ok, i've been doing a lot of research lately on this anakin costume. so far i've found only one site that says anything about how to make the sleeveless robe. it doesn't seem like too many people have tried making this thing. here's a link to the site i found:

jedi robe with sleeveless instructions

i've started looking for fabrics too. i really want something that's as true to the real thing as possible, and i'm going with natural materials again because my last costume was so comfortable. here's some really good quality wool i found on trimfabric.com:

[image=http://64.41.106.48/fabrics/images/wool147a.jpg]
    this isn't very close in texture to the one in the movie, but it's not a bad deal for 10 yards @ 60"

checked out silk for the tunics and found some great ones here:

thai silks.com
    the silk gauze is pretty cheap and looks the right color for the inner tunic. and there's raw silk there in a raisin color that would be perfect for the outer tunic.
    [image=http://216.122.251.37/images/swatch/enlarged/020T-000.jpg] [image=http://216.122.251.37/images/swatch/enlarged/0020-510.jpg]

as far as the belt and pouches go, i'm not sure what i'll do yet. the boots i can have hand-made over here for cheap.

any thoughts about all this? i'm also thinking that i might ask someone to make this costume for me and just have the fabric sent to them, plus compensation. any takers? (cough*kim*cough*sarah*cough) ;)

23. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Well.... in August I'll have some free time before I start school. I'll be all alone in my apartment :( So of course I'll be sewing. I already have a list of stuff I need to do ;) :D

24. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Sounds easy

25. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    I will look more into his costume soon & give you some suggetions.
    What do you think his tabords are made of, leather?