main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New and Improved Video Game Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by BFett88, Jan 8, 2007.

1. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
    I want to play that! How is it? If it's decent enough, I'll pick it up, but it bothers me that they keep setting ST games in the relative (to the denizens of the Trek universe, not us) present or near future, often drawing inspiration too heavily from DS9 and/or Voyager. I would love to see a ST game, especially an MMO, set in the TOS or Movie eras, especially a game that feels "Wrath of Kahn-ey".

Also, when I say they keep setting games in the present or near future, I am not talking about games like Legacy that encompass all eras, just the ones that have a distinct setting, which, IMHO are better games because of it as it allows for better exposition.

2. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    It's definitely future Trek. It's well after Picard and I think the year is 24xx-something and change and the Klingons are an enemy, but the ship designs are definitely, as you say, influenced by TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Overall, I'd say it's good. Ship combat is awesome, though they haven't quite figured out three-dimensional warfare (I can't make the enemy's gate down!) and it's more like a flight sim with no ground and ground warfare is... well, it's an RPG, even if it's live, there's still cooldowns on weapons.

If any of the specific statements about Trek are wrong... well, that's 'cause I'm not a huge Trekkie. But it's definitely not TOS.

3. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    This has bothered me about space combat for a looooooong time. They can easily make games that allow the character to move in 3 dimensions AND have real world physics AND they can make space combat sims. Why can't they make a game similar to the sim that Ender plays in command school? I understand that in the book the graphics are represented in a 3D display and not 3D on a 2D screen, but still...just doesn't sound like it'd be that difficult to make "true" 3D space combat sims.

4. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    X wing vs TIE fighter was a great flight sim.

5. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    QFT.

I wish they (and I'm not neccesarily talking about LucasArts) would revisit this franchise and turn out a new Tie Fighter game, pronto. The Rogue Squadron games were okay but I definitely would not call them space flight sims and the Starfighter games were mostly blah but with current gen technology they could turn out a real doozy of a game, methinks. Imagine a cross between Ace Combat's style and Tie Fighter's story with a full 3D space combat engine with maps big enough to get lost in. Maybe even a land/take off/get-out-and-explore mechanic thrown in. I'm thinking of sandbox games here, not Rebel Assault-style rail shooters with alternating ground/space combat.

The reason I most want to see another Tie Fighter game is that I'm getting kinda tired of always playing the good guy in SW games. Granted, in games like KOTOR, SWBF or TFU, you have the choice of either, but I'm talking about being a rank and file pilot or soldier with a specific backstory that can convince me that I'm "fighting the good fight" by killing rebels, ewoks and moisture farmers.

6. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Did they ever make an Ender's Game video game? Seems like a win to me.

7. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Nope, I have never seen anything from Ender's Game put into a video game. And that's a shame. And even worse is the shame that they have not made a followup to XVT. Best Star Wars game... ever.

Playing that, on a modern computer, with broadband, and a full HOTAS would be pure win.

8. TheFettedOne

TheFettedOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2008
    All of you Mass Effect junkies should be happy today.

9. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    d_h will for sure pick up his for sure today! He's been talking about it for months & non stop for days now.

10. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    =P~ =P~ =P~

Soooooo freakin' awesome!

Characters are much deeper and I find myself genuinely interested in their back stories instead of skipping through the conversations. Combat is INTENSE. Firefights are much bigger, powers are amped up, new powers are very fun so far. Only been to one dirty space station built into an asteroid, but it looked great! Lotsa detail. The whole game feels like they took the first and fixed or improved EVERYTHING.

ROFL-love just standing on the bridge listening to Seth Green making laser and explosion sounds.

No Ender videogames yet, but with EG's fanbase and the success of the VG industry, despite the Recession or Downturn or Depression or whatever euphemism you want to use for "Our country is broke and getting broker", it's only a matter of time. To date, though, the closest they've come is the lackluster generic Halo clone, Advent Rising, which used elments from the enderverse like the Ansible and was written by OSC.

Back to the fight...

11. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008

Too many awesome things about this game. Badassery dipped in awesome wrapped in cool. And bacon. Just over heard the Bachelor Party on Ilium, ROFLMAO

Also, 'bout had a geekgasm when my Starbuck look-alike had a conversation with the character played by Michael Hogan (Saul Tigh, BSG), only to go back to ship and hear Tricia Helfer's wisecrack about probing Uranus.

Also also, Grunt > Wrex, and I thought Wrex was pretty awesome. Loved the whole pod-opening scene.

I <3 Yeoman Kelly Chambers

12. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    No XBL for me :(

Bought a router and had it hooked up but can't get past an error code that won't let me access most Xbox Live features. It also caused A LOT of slowdown on the computer, even on a wired connection. Also, FB and most other websites wouldn't work at all with the router's accompanying software installed. Imma go return this one to Best Buy, but this is not looking good. This is my fourth attempt and I'm losing faith that I'll ever get it hooked up. If I need a router to access XBL, why doesn't MS just make a first party router desinged specifically for that purpose? I don't care about going wireless, I just want to play on a full-featured XBL.

/whining

13. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    This is Shane, I am to lazy to log out and log back in.

Any way why don't you just call Qwest or Comcast and tell them what you are trying to do. The just buy the modem through them. That is what I did. Plus you don't need a router you need a modem.

14. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    did you call xbox customer support? I'll bet you its a factory setting thats fouling it up

15. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    I have one modem-do I need another? I've tried this with a workgroup switch, just a modem, modem and PC, and three routers. When I google the error code I get instructions to do something on my PC that I don't quite understand,This time the router software installation resulted in a perpetual popup, FB wouldn't load and The Boards and Google took a whole lot longerto load. Same result when I reconnected to the modem, so I'm pretty sure it was the software that came with the router.Moot point in any case since I took the router back. Back to square one. I think this time I will call XBL support but Imma have 'em on the phone when I walk in to the router store and start reading shelf descriptions till they say "Buy that one, it will work, Bill Gates promises." [face_mischief]

16. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/old-nintendo-system-sells-for-13-105/1389101

holy cow! 1 game.

17. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    Joe, I'm far from the most experienced person when it comes to this, but I have set up my own network. Though I don't have XBL. The reason for the router is to provide internet from the modem to both your computer and XBox at the same time so that you don't have to unplug one to use the other. As for why it got slow... maybe XBL was downloading updates (in the background, automatically, as MS likes to do) and using up your bandwidth? Though without seeing it, or the popup or anything else, I don't know. No router that I've ever had installed any software locally. I always accessed it through a web page (default has always been http://192.168.1.1 out of the box) to manage it there. When it comes to routers, they're all pretty much the same, though personally I lean toward LinkSys (which is now owned by Cisco, router king) and away from Belkin (WalMart-equivalent of any tech device).

I have a D-Link router that's about ten years old--but should still be good--that you can use to try and set it up. Send me a PM or mail on Facebook or whatever and I'll try and help you out.

Simplified setup is: [Coax from Comcast]--coax--[Cable Modem]--Cat5--[Router]==2x Cat5==One cable each to PC and XBox (assuming XBox is wired, which I don't know).

18. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    You were right, Jeff.

So I played a few hours of Far Cry 2 last night and I gotta say, not bad at all. Positives defintely outweighed the negatives on this one.

Gameplay - Awesome! The mechanics it uses to convey a sense of realism felt great. Having Malaria was irritating of course, but I should think it's supposed to be :p . Day/night cycle was cool, too. Can't wait to see weather and different environments. Manually activated save points feel a little outdated, but I like that there are plenty of safe houses scattered throught the map. Orienteering was fun, but I really didn't like that I could only use the monocular with the map out. Shooting anything was immensley fun. The M60 felt great and the flame thrower had me letting out a wicked cackle everytime I got to torch a building or field and scored a few stealth kills. Wish I could put away the equipped weapon as the screen can feel a little cluttered at times but I did like that the hud vanished when it wasn't needed.

Graphics - Purty! Everything looked great, fire and the burned aftermath was certainly cool. Sunshine was used to great effect as I found some doorways set in walls in direct sunlight were nigh impossible to see through. Haven't figured out yet whether the blinding effect works both ways, but I haven't seen any issues with the AI yet.

Sound - Really good but I have mixed feelings about it. SFX and VO were awesome but the music was minimal at best. I kept expecting a score sounding like a cross between The Lion King and Halo to start playing and was a little dissapointed that it never did. Thank goodness for the oodles of music on my hard drive. Also, if I can drive a vehicle in the game and saw first hand my cab driver at the beginning switch off the radio, why can't I turn it on?

Story - I really haven't gotten far enough to form an opinion yet, but it seems okay. Only gripe is that there is no wait feature. Any game that has a day/night cycle and scripted NPC behaviors based on it, like no one at the bar after dark (BTW, WTH is up with that!?), should allow you to simply skip time ahead a few hours like Oblivion or Fallout.

Overall, really good and worth the 23 bucks that Gamestop is asking, but I wouldn't pay full price and I'd wait for reviews before I'd pick up Far Cry 3 if there is one in Ubisoft's future. I have to say too, that it was not at all what I expected, having played a demo for FC 1 and I was pleasantly surprised. Seems they should have chosen a different title, just like Red Dead Redemption really has so very little in common with Revolver.

19. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    keep it til your done having your way with it.

20. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    they can barely give this piece of crap away http://www.gamefly.com/store/game/xbox-360/GI-Joe-The-Rise-of-Cobra/135920/

21. Solos_Dirty_Sock

Solos_Dirty_Sock Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2001
    So I played the orignial Bible Adveture on my nintendo today. It was like being in the cartoon Super Book!!!!

22. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
  23. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    [image=http://media.rockstargames.com/products/rockstar/screenshot%20gallery/reddeadredemption/whs/1280/4.jpg]

Shhh...be vewy vewy quiet...I'm hunting woostahs.

24. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
  25. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    [image=http://www.bluebrain.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Futurama-BenderSad.jpg]