main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New and Improved Video Game Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by BFett88, Jan 8, 2007.

1. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    Red Dead Redemption is the most immersive game I've played in a very long, long time. I was expecting GUN with a little more freedom and customization but my expectaions were completely blown away. I feel as though this game is a Leone masterpiece that was never made, and you get to live it. I cannot find any flaws with this game yet, some four hours into it.

Graphics - Off the charts. This game is the bridge that spans the Uncanny Valley. Okay...Mass Effect 2, GTA 4, Fallout 3...all very awesome games with beautiful, extremely well done graphics, right? This was better. The draw distance is INSANE. I shot a bird that was a mere distant speck, smaller than the period at the end of this sentence, and could still see the puff of feathers and blood which resulted from my kill. The sky and weather are by far the most realistic I've ever seen in a game. The horses could not possibly have looked more realistic, likewise the other flora and fauna.

Gameplay - Never felt more like a cowboy. Best physics in a game I've ever seen. Ridiculously enormous amount of sidequests that could keep me occuppied for a month. And most were organic and already in progress as I approached them. No load, no NPC saying "Oh Noes! Can you go to _____ and fetch/kill _____?". For example, as I was riding along the trail, I saw a man being robbed at gunpoint by some bandits. I promptly drew my cattleman and took out the first two, jumped off my horse and behind a rock (which did NOT feel as though it had been put there for cover, though that's what I used it for) and popped the last in the leg which flew out from beneath him and caused him to begin to fall forward, aimed and squeezed again, this time hitting him in the chest, causing a sudden momentum shift and spin and resulting in the best kill I've ever seen in a game. And then it happened over and over again, every time I went up against more enemies.
    The man being robbed had been winged in the arm during the fight, but stopped to thank me and give me some cash and honor points before continuing on to his next would-be mugging. Combat in general was the most fun I've ever had shooting. The targeting system, by default, will snap to the closest hostile target when the left trigger is pulled but requires you to continue to follow the target manually, giving the combat a very fluid and natural feeling without ever feeling as though the system is helping too much. Played a few mini games like Texas Hold 'em and Horseshoes and both felt like there was no room for improvement.

Sound - TOP NOTCH. The soundtrack sounds like the best Morricone and it's inuitive. When i was loping along out on the prarie under the moonlight, the music was solemn, very fitting, and changed very nautrally to something fast with electric guitars when I was attacked by a mountian lion, changing again to something I would equate to Final Fantasy's victory tune briefly and back to solemn whistling and single string guitar plucks by the time I was back on my horse and off to find more trouble. Most of the time, on games with soundtracks that change like that, I hit moments where the tempo changes out of synch with the action, but i never once felt as though the music didn't fit the scene to a T.

Story - Not very far yet, but it has pulled me in wonderfully. Cutscenes are perfectly paced and the V/O work could not have been better. Almost a shame they didn't use some big names as R* has done before, but only almost as every charcter felt incredibly real and interacted with each other very, very well. The protagonist, Marston, also feels deep and has great dialogue, not just the "Sure, I can do that" attitude of R*'s previous open world games' main characters.

Counting down the seconds till I'm off work and outta here and back on my horse...

2. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
  3. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    :mad: :mad: :mad: *** **** ************** *******!!!!! Someone on FB just spoiled the ending to RDR!!!! GAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! Thanks a lot, ******* ******** ************!!!

I mean, spoilers are acceptable after enough time, say...anywhere from a month to 6 depending, but the day after release?! C'mon...:mad:

Grrr...

4. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    That sucks dude, go punch a baby seal in the face.

Check this out http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/The_Empire_Strikes_Back_With_Xbox_131389.asp

5. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    I know! I saw those. WANT!!! Srsly need to get hooked up to live, pronto...

6. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    page not found...what is it?

ModNation Racers comes out next week. Have it coming next on Gamefly. Can not freaking wait. I love kart racers, and can't wait to be able to make my own tracks. Spent a couple hours the other day building tracks on the demo and there is hardly anything to build with. Can't wait for the full game... I could probably kill a weekend just with the track editor.

7. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    empire strikes back avatar goodies for XBL

8. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Played a bit of War For Cybertron today. Pure awesome! Can't wait to play more tonight.

Really does feel like Gears of War with a Transformers skin, in all the best ways :D

9. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    When I get a few minutes of time I have been playing Modern Warfare 2. I played the demo for Modnation Racers. Probably the most fun demo I have played in ages. I want to try the full game. Its in my gamefly Q

Cory, whats your gamer tag on PSN?

10. corran_r9

corran_r9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 2009
    Anyone plan on playing Starcraft 2?

11. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    Ooooooooo, gotz Me a Xbox 360 Slim yesterday, along with the Dragon Age game. :D

What a friggin' cool game!!! [face_skull]

12. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    OOH! you need halo3 dude! best shooter ever! Let me know if you want to borrow any games. cool thing with the 360 is you can watch netflix and it looks good. the ps3 and wii look like crap.

13. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Does anyone else have the new StarCraft game? Its so addicting!

14. The_Kwisatz_Haderach

The_Kwisatz_Haderach Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2010
    There's so many games on my "to do" list that I try not to think about it. I try real hard to make sure that I finish a game before getting starting another... I'm not very good at doing this. I only play PS3 these days, only cause I don't have a quality gaming PC. So let's see...

I just finished God of War III. Very epic, and a pretty good conclusion for the trilogy. I recommend it.

I'm also half way through Dragon Age: Origins and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I still need to finish inFamous and Assassin's Creed II.

Games I want to play are: Final Fantasy XIII, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption, and Fallout 3.

Also been thinking of playing through Shadow of the
    Colossus, for PS2. This is why I have trouble finishing games! There's too much awesome out there. Whatever I do, I need to be ready to play The Force Unleashed II when it arrives.

15. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Agreed. While I'm anxiously awaiting Reach too, SWTFU2 is the release I'm most excited about this fall. I also have that problem, though. I'm now halfway through TFU:USE, Halo 3, Dead Space and KOTOR 2. I need a Yoda toy next to my Xbox that screams "Concentraaaaaate!!!" every time I switch games before finishing my current play through.

16. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    I have been playing red dead on the ps3. pretty sweet so far. I wish they would have included some rpg elements though. Upgrading weapons is fun and would make it an even better game for me.

17. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    That was such an awesome game. Best horse mechanics ever. I really hope R* puts that to use in a medieval fantasy game ala Oblivion someday. Or....a Planet of the Apes Game! While they already exist, a R* open world POTA game using RDR's engine would be geek gold:D

I'm playing Doom3 right now. The graphics and gameplay have held up surprisingly well. One of the few original xbox games that make me forget I'm not playing a current gen game.

18. The_Kwisatz_Haderach

The_Kwisatz_Haderach Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2010
    I've just started Assassin's Creed II again. I forgot how cool that game is. I'll play through that and should hopefully finish it just in time for The Force Unleashed II.

Anyone have any thoughts on The Old Republic? The CGI trailers look awesome, but I think they're misleading. I like Bioware and loved Knights of the Old Republic, but I don't really care for online mult-player games. Just not my thing. I tend to game alone. Can't decide if I will play The Old Republic.

19. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    I'm usually not a big fan of MMO's either but I did enjoy Galaxies a whole lot. Sure, the missions were all just one long grind but the graphics were pretty, the economy worked very well, and it was a great place to hang out with SW fans. Shortly after starships hit and becoming a Jedi was made easier (not to mention WoW launched), it ghost-towned pretty fast as more and more people swapped the force for swords and sorcery.

WoW is very addicting, pretty and didn't require a lot under your PC's hood, but the huge established player base tends to be a little intimidating for newcomers, imho. Most of the games activities seem to be made for higher lvl players, so, after lvl 20 or so, the grind until you can do something as simple as enter a fishing competition (lv50!) can make watching paint dry look exciting.

I'm actually pretty excited to play TOR because it looks like it will incorporate the best of both games and, so says BW anyway, TOR should be a little more story driven with each player experiencing something different. Not sure if that's just marketing hogwash or not but the way it was described has me sold that TOR won't be the usual humdrum lvl grind. As far as looks go, I like the style, almost Clone Wars-ey and I think there are a few gameplay vids out there, though the build was pretty early. While the cutscenes look GREAT, the gameplay really looked very decent, I thought. [face_peace]

20. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    I'm mixed on TOR too. I like my RPG's to be 1 player. it makes it kind of special. It does look awesome though.

I have been playing Assassins Creed 2 also for about the passed week. I had forgotten how freakin sticky Ezio is. It makes it almost impossible to free run. Another thing I hate about this game, horse riding. If your in a race, and you let go of the left stick for an instant, you stop dead.

I do like the story in this one better now that I am further in the game. I think I may be about 1/2 way through.

on a side note, my 360 froze on me yesterday... freaks my out!

Next on y list is to finish Mass Effect 2

21. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    DragonSolo

Haven't been able to play anything much lately except a few matches of MW2 on the weekends. Thinking I might take my 360 with me this week though...

22. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    A big fat thankyou to JGOC who somehow taught Bean more about playing video games in five minutes than I have in five years. =D=

23. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    LOL! Get that kid Lego Star Wars, STAT!

24. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I will check out used games on ebay, I suppose. We tried a demo for lego Harry Potter and it frustrated her.

25. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    But was that before or after JGoC gave her a lesson?