main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New and Improved Video Game Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by BFett88, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002

Before. Dont have access to that system anymore, but will definitely look for the Lego Starwars now that the girl has mad skillz.

2. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    omgomgomgomgomgomg...omg

Seriously, really enjoying the fight against the covenant this time. The improved graphics are nice, the story is already a tear jerker and I'm enjoying playing as Noble 6 more than ODST's Rookie and at least as much as MC. As hype for games in general increases for just about every game, it's becoming harder and harder to justify the phrase "It was worth the hype", but so far I really am thinking that, especially after opening up my Limited Edition goody bag with Halsey's journal among other cool swag. For a change, it was totally worth it to spend the extra dough this time.

3. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Microsoft has finally sold me on Kinect, barring initial tech reviews.

Next Steel Battallion game will use Kinect.

I wanted to play the last one so bad but the extremeley prohibitive cost and lack of other games supported by the controller made it impossible to justify the purchase, even used.

But judging from early screen shots and positive reviews from the last two SB games (positive despite the impractical controller), I may have to invest in one now. Hoping to see other games like this that aren't just gimmicky kids games.

4. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Colorado Board Of Education Supports The California Game Law

Dark days could be ahead for gamers, and soon. I think that the ESRB has been doing their best at keeping innappropriate video games out of the hands of children and I personally believe that an ID should be checked invariably EVERY time an M rated game is sold and that there should be stiff penalties levied against those unsavory retailers who fail to do so, even at the cost of adding an ESRB tax to every game sold to pay for compliance inspectors.

My biggest fear is that this kind of legislation would, aside from adding more nannying to an already over nanny-fied country, be the beginning of a slew of limitations to be placed on the creativity of so many talented people. Please don't misunderstand, I do not condone any violent act spoken of in this document IRL, and I don't think that content standards should be lifted altogether, but I believe current ESRB standards are adequate and parents should take responsiblity over their children and teach them how to separate fantasy from reality in addition to monitoring the content of the games they play, which is easy enough thanks the handy-dandy E, T, and M labels affixed to the front of every video game sold since about 1994 or so, but even easier when said parents PLAY with their children. It doesn't matter if your kid might be much better than you or that you're bored to tears watching him or her try solve the mid-game mid-dungeon box puzzle for the umpteen millionth time, your kid will just be happy that you've taken an interest in the same things that interest them and that you're spending time with them. [face_peace]

Any thoughts on this?

5. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Every time this comes up, no matter what it is "they" want to censor, I think about what happened to comic books in the 1950s. In 2000, when Joe Lieberman was making his anti-Hollywood noises, I had a letter published in the Durango Herald about just that.

Who better than Stan Lee to call attention to history looking to repeat itself? http://videogamevoters.org/StanLee

It's only the First Amendment, after all.

6. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    thought this was interesting

red ring fix

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160451357394&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

7. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Dragon Age looks to be coming out with an Ultimate Edition featuring all of the DLC including Awakenings for the standard price of a new game. I kept meaning to play this but never got around to it so this might be a great way to jump in :)

Any one else already play it? What'd ya think?

8. The_Kwisatz_Haderach

The_Kwisatz_Haderach Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2010
    I enjoyed Dragon Age a lot. The story is good fantasy. The world is fairly familiar, a somewhat typical fantasy world. But everything worked well within the story. I played the console version, which I understand had few differences with the battle system. I was pleased with the level and variety of ways to customize your party. The aesthetic and sense of great age and history added some nice depth to the look and feel of everything. I recommend it. The sequels will be even better. Bioware is great and will fix the few, but annoying, flaws and hopefully incorporate the lessons learned from making the Mass Effect games.

9. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    Ok i don't play video games other than WoW from time to time, but this is the coolest trailer!!!!

10. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    I played TFU2 demo last night. Not a lot of new stuff there. Wish they would have based this one on a new character instead of Starkiller. The story is going to be very hokey and predictable. I read the graphic novel and it kind of reads like if they made a star wars soap opera into a comic book. That and the fact that EU characters seem to have been responsable for the story going the way it did. kind of deadens it for me.

11. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Thoughts on Fallout New Vegas:

Fallout 2/3 + Firefly + Kotor 2 + The original Rat Pack Ocean's Eleven + a dash of The Sims.

Obsidian has done an outstanding job so far. Playing on hardcore and really getting a much better, more realistic experience. I LOL'ed when my water was running low and I could practically hear myself panting hoarsely "...water...water...". The gameplay is so similar to F3 and yet so different as I now hang on to every scrap of anything I loot so I can use it in a recipe or at least so I have enough food for every game day. The weapons seem slightly nerfed but in a good way. My kills arent nearly as easy as they were in F3. Not sure if that's due to HC mode or just better number crunching on O's part, but I like it. The fact that I have to juggle the numbers for things like damage reduction (called Threshold, but the same thing) actually makes it a better game than F3. Feels more like an RPG ought to. Don't get me wrong, F3 was a great, great game but now I'd say it was more focused on action than true numbers based role playing but FNV's math and crafting just makes the game feel more immersive while still offering up the same great action.

F3 was a great game and introduced a lot of great gameplay elements to gamers but FNV really steal F3's thunder. The environment seems to be much less forgiving and I'm seeing enemies waaaay over my level. I'm pretty sure F3 had some sort of lvl scaling as I wouldn't run into anything too difficult until much later in the story but FNV seems to have just the right mix so far, with enough low lvl enemies to gain XP at a reasonable rate and just enough high lvl enemies to keep me in N00bville until I'm ready to leave. Excellent balance.
    Surprisingly no bugs or graphical hitches so far. Music and voice acting are superb. I never got the chance to play more than a few minutes of F2 but so far this feels more like old school Fallout than 3, which should make a lot of fanboys happy.

On a side note, the Collector's Edition was well worth the extra caps. I had feared that the extra goodies would be cheap, low quality stuff, but I am impressed. The graphic novel is a great read so far and the poker chips are heavy and feel like real Vegas chips. Can't wait to see how the Platinum Chip comes into the story, but it's pretty cool too. [face_peace]

12. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Played all the way through Metroid: Other M a couple weeks back and I can say that I enjoyed it. Though I think the Metroid Prime games are much better, this one felt a lot more like Metroid and Super Metroid because of the 3rd person perspective and the fact that you only use a single Wii remote (without nunchuck) to control Samus. The control is very simplistic, and while that took a little while to get used to, having just recently played through Metroid Prime I again, it was a unique and enjoyable experience overall. The game itself was pretty cool, and didn't require you to backtrack through levels nearly as much as any previous Metroid games. However, I can't say I was a huge fan of some of the story elements. It was interesting that they covered a lot of Samus' past, but I found myself rolling my eyes any time they talked about how Samus felt toward the other men and all that stuff. And the thing that really disappointed me was the fact that she gets scared the first time she sees Ridley toward the end. I mean seriously, when was the last time Samus got scared about anything?

Anyway, despite that it was a fun game to play through and one of these days I'll actually get back to it and try for 100% completion. I hear there is an extra boss at the end if you do make it to 100%.

13. The_Kwisatz_Haderach

Aug 20, 2010
    I have yet to experience Fallout 3. My backlog of games I want/need/shall/own and play is getting out of hand. I'm still playing through Assassin's Creed II, and loving it. I was planning on getting the Force Unleashed II next week, but I may hold out for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. I'm hooked.

Two other games have piqued my interest. Both weren't really on my radar, but after reading up on them, and seeing some video, I'm curious. The first is the new Castlevania game, Lords of Shadow. The other, and the one I'm leaning towards picking up, is Enslaved: Odyssey into the West. I loves me my post apocalyptic stories. I heard the game has a great story, and writing (having the fantastic acting of Andy Serkis no doubt helps). The game play is the only thing it was knocked for, and I think I can deal with that.

Anyone played either of those?

14. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Anyone seen the TFUII trailer on TV? Man, I wish that was a movie. =P~

15. Jomama

Jomama Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2009
    I tried the demo and it was just okay. It looks like more of the same with the added force power of jedi mind trickin' dumb a** stormtroopers to jump out windows. While very funny and all, I don't want to be able to force lightning my way through the game so easy. I'm going to hold off getting this one until I hear some reviews just because the first one was just too quick to beat.

16. The_Kwisatz_Haderach

Aug 20, 2010
    Wow, the Force Unleashed II has been getting terrible reviews. Overly repetitive, weak story, and waaay too short (I've been hearing 4 to 6 hours...WTF?) I'm both angered and surprised by this. You'd think it'd be hard to screw this up, but from every review I've read, it looks like LucasArts dropped the ball. I think I'll skip this game for now. I'm sure ill play it eventually, as I enjoyed the demo. But not enough to pay full price.

How disappointing. :

17. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Same here. I'll play it eventually but I'm passing for now. Used the cash I was going to spend on TFU to pick up Dragon Age Ultimate Ed today, instead. Can't wait to get home and try it out[face_dancing]

18. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I bought Force Unleashed II today for XBox 360. Looks okay so far. :) I'm looking forward to how it develops as I play it.

19. Jomama

Jomama Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2009
    Post a review of this after you beat it up. I'm wondering how it turned out compared to the first one.

20. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    So far for me the story is stifled the same as the first, you have a love interest but there is no connection between the player and the person. Outrageous force powers right out of the gate and easy level up. telling stormtroopers to jump off the ledges is fun and probably the best attack so far.

Oh and Vader is a freakin wuss. Makes me think he is a droid like proxy on Kamino

21. -Gundark-

Apr 1, 2010
    Was able to get about 2 hours into the game last night and I'm LOVING it so far. I can definitely see why Bioware calls it a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. Great graphics, astounding voice acting, a story that grabs you right away and, my favorite part, the dialogue wheel from Mass Effect isn't there. Similar dialogue system, but the replies seem to be more randomized instead of the "good" response always on top, which frustrated me in ME because I began to ignore the awesome roleplaying in favor of achieving a perfect renegade or paragon.

Tough decisions ahead on how to split my time playing this or New Vegas...

22. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I haven't completed the game yet, however, the presentation is awesome! :D Short in between level movies are very well done, as is the story thus far. :) Another plus is the canon; LucasFilm/LucasArts did a really good job to incorporate the films and Expanded Universe together to bring the Star Wars Galaxy together. :cool:

The only downside is the cycle and repeat cycle of enemies: in the first game, you really didn't have a returning theme with enemies on every mission. In TFUII, you do; a lot of the same enemies and defenses on each individual mission. I think this was done on purpose by LucasArts to please the younger gaming crowd (children and pre-teens), verses the veteran gamers (teens, 20's, 30's, and older).

23. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    heh What have I been playing? TONS

Super Street Fighter IV: I play this semi-competitively in tournaments and such. My main is Dan Hibiki :p
    Red Dead Redemption: I just picked this one up again. I love westerns and this is a game I could get lost in.
    God of War III: Why have beautiful graphics and awesome cinematics if I have to pee my pants when X or O or SQUARE pop up on the screen? I feel so taken out of the game during those sequences because I can't enjoy the actual cinematics of the game. "Oh that's so c... ERG!!! X!! X!!" stupid but a fun button masher.
    World of Warcraft: Yeah I'm sucked in. too many characters but I also read "The Shattering" in one sitting and it has me totally excited for Cataclysm.
    Gran Turismo PSP: This game is awesome. I took it with me on a business trip and am currently collecting all of the Lan-Evos
    Fallout 3: I started playing this again and loaded up my save right before the end so i can just wander around. Turns out I also have all of the expansion packs and didn't know how to activate them. Yep, I'm gonna be playing this a TON now before I get New Vegas.
    Star Wars Empire At War: I just like the Sim of this, I don't care for the battle section. I like building and doing planet stuff
    Nation Red: Simple zombie swarm game but it's just so FUN!
    Left 4 Dead 2: met a new gaming buddy and she plays this almost exclusively (on pc) so I've been getting into it lately.

I have a ton of games sitting around not being played. I have a serious addiction to gaming. I have Halo: Reach, Rock Band 3, DJ Hero 2, BlazBlue (one of them), Soul Cailbur 4, Forza Motorsports 3, about 9 or so PSP games, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and honestly about 2 or 3 dozen video games that I bought and haven't even tried yet. That's not including games on STEAM. I have about literally 60 something games on Steam that I haven't even installed yet but they're purchased.

24. The_Kwisatz_Haderach

Aug 20, 2010
    Eureka! I've finished Assassin's Creed II. It was awesome and I will certainly be getting Brotherhood. What to play in the interim... guess I'll get back into Dragon Age: Origins. I love that game as well.

25. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004