main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The New Animated Series & The EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Guy-Gone_Weird, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    Mirroring a thread in LACWAC, let's discuss the potential benefits or problems the mysterious new animated series may have with the established EU. So far all we know is that it is set in a period untouched by on-screen Star Wars, and that Dave Filoni may be involved. What would you guys like to see, when should it be set, and how might it affect the EU (for better or for worse)?

If it is set during the Old Republic Era, I'm fine with pretty much anything, as long as it is set either before Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic or after TOR. The period from Exar Kun through TOR is pretty well fleshed out. Beyond that, I don't mind a few minor continuity hiccups. As it stands now, the first Sith to use "Darth" keeps getting pushed back in the timeline anyways, so new ancient Darths are fine by me.

If it is set during the Dark Times, which I think is the best idea, there isn't a whole lot they could step on. For one, they already have many models and voice actors they can continue to use. Depending on when they would set it (I assume soon after ROTS), there are a lot of story possibilities involving surviving Jedi warned off by the Jedi Beacon, the change from Clone Troopers to Stormtroopers, the rise of Darth Vader, and the continuation of peoples' liberties being stripped away. I'd really like to see how the Emperor really sways the majority of the galaxy into thinking he is a great leader, rather than the evil tyrant as the Rebellion knows him. It would also be cool if the series could bookend Droids by showing how C-3PO and R2-D2 originally were separated from Captain Antilles and eventually were reunited with him. And certainly if Ahsoka survives beyond Order 66, this seems like the perfect twist to have her confronted by Darth Vader. Now that would be a scene I would enjoy very much. The only problem I see would be if they decided to tell a new version of Han Solo's backstory. After the last 3 parts of the Ahsoka storyline, I think this type of series would be ideal.

If it is set during the Post-ROTJ era, then I'm hopeful that they will adapt or leave it open enough for a bulk of the EU stories to fit. A lot of it depends on what Episode VII will be like though. This is why I'm thinking this may not even happen. There are plenty of people wanting to do a new Star Trek series right now, but Paramount & CBS don't want any series to conflict or contradict the new movies as JJ Abrams continues to make them. Granted, Disney may not think the same way, but it's hard to know what Disney is thinking these days. If it were this era though, and it did mostly follow the EU, there's still room for stories to be told. They could set it a little ways out, maybe after the Rebellion retakes Coruscant and after Luke starts the Jedi Praxeum. Heck, they could even kick it off with an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy. I'd enjoy seeing a dual focus on the earliest new Jedi as well as how the greater galaxy is affected by the change from Empire to New Republic. Even if the EU is abandoned in favor of a new continuity for VII, they could still take the best of the EU and rework it in a series like this to fit the new continuity.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Even if we knew when the series was set I don't think we'd have enough information to talk about this--and as it is, we really don't have enough information. :p

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Of all the options, I'd mostly like it to be set during the Dark Times.

For casual audiences, it's easily accessible, can use Darth Vader as an immediate selling point, and can tie-up any loose ends from TCW like Ahsoka so that any kids who have grown up with those characters don't feel left out.

Add in the fact that it's a period that would be more like the OT in theme than the PT, what with less Jedi characters, and any Jedi who did survive Order 66 and starred it in being special rather than just one of the countless Jedi featured in the PT and TCW, and I think that type of a setting would help audiences adjust back to a story that was more like the OT (assuming that's what they have in mind for the ST).

Of course, if their goal with the ST isn't to emulate the OT but to continue the obsession with Jedi vs Sith wars that has dominated every facet of the Star Wars franchise for the past five years, then I can see them not going for the Dark Times. It ultimately depends what the ST is going to be like and what they want people to get used to.

4. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    Hey, we Star Wars EU fans are a creative and flexible bunch. It's all speculation until it's out anyways, so I don't think there's a point that's too early to throw out what we'd like to see. I mean, most of the final episodes of TCW are a mystery, yet people are guessing left and right.

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Exactly. Besides, when if/when they announce an animated series set between Episode VI and Episode VII, I really want to be the one to create the thread. :D[face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

CooperTFN likes this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Here's something SW has never really done: extreme 24-style decompression. If each season takes place over a single day, they can set it whenever the hell they want.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  7. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Like during the Battle of Hoth? :p

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  8. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    24 style series of Leia's slavery to Jabba... several days/seasons worth of Metal Bikini ;) :p

and before anybody adapts the EU I want Shadows of the Empire adapted

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Careful.

If you start doing tales from inside Jabba's harem then the next thing you know they'll do a special episode about what goes on inside Beldorian's.

And I'm sure you don't want that.

10. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    24 the show degraded towards the end and became so cliche and predictable. The darn thing might not even get that closer movie Jack Bauer deserves.....

The only bright point I had for TCW ending was the timeline possibly getting fixed. then I saw this topic title and realized they might just do the same with their new show!

But I think they should trash Underworld as a live show and convert into a animated format. Even with Disney's money, I don't think it would be a very profitable endeavor. We would get like less than 12 episodes a season due to costs, and the DVD/Bluray would be hellishly overpriced.

11. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    All these speculation threads seem pointless and it's all getting a little repetitive for me

12. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Are you sure I'd not want that? =P~[face_hypnotized][face_whistling]

At least it'd be far better than Daala's lovelife with Mandalorians and Bothans :-B

Gorefiend likes this.
  13. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Since I honestly believe that the new films will hugely contradict the post-ROTJ EU, for me I'd most hope that the new series is set post-ROTJ and that it re-tells all of the best of the post-ROTJ stories in such a way as to be consistent with the new films.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Personally, I'd like a serious and mature show set in the Dark Times, not an animated one for kids. I mean the period is called DARK Times, and I want it to be dark. And chances are pretty big for a Vader and Palpatine appearance in a Dark Times show, and I don't want their darkness and scary vibe they have to be lowered just so they can fit better in a show made for kids. As for a show set in the old republic, as others have said before, as long as its set either before Tales of the Jedi and/or after TOR, it's fine by me.

15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Totally not going to happen.

16. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I would be very surprised if this show isn't set post-ROTJ to 'tie-in' with the Sequel Trilogy.

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    So nobody shares my desire for a 24-style show set during the hours of the Battle of Hoth? Pity.

18. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Isn't the new series supposed to be humor (so probably non-canon)?

19. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I believe you're thinking of Star Wars: Detours, but that series has been "postponed" indefinitely. There are still no details about the new show.

20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i would like to see an NJO tv series