main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO **The New Banner Discusion** Feed back desired

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by quigon_brian, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    BTW, the icons/banholders we have at the top of the page? I want to leave them there. They are really cool! It would go great with the banner I made.

Sorry man, I originally was going to let anybody use them, but I'm gonna say they go with my banner.
    You'll have to make some adholders to go with yours.
    Since I forgot to mention that before, adholders don't have to be posted until, we'll say, thursday night.
    All banners still have to be up tonight though.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    They can't go with both banners? I thought GeorgeLouis, or whatever his name was, made them. I don't think the adholders are going to make or break the banner contest personally.

3. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    :eek: You can't claim 'em if you didn't make 'em! :D

4. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    You can't claim 'em if you didn't make 'em!

I did. :p
    I can dig up the old thread if you'd like.

Edit: I was bored. Adholder Thread
    I had made two of them, so I had people vote. I don't have the other one anymore. It was basically the same image, just a different colored sky.

5. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Sorry man, I originally was going to let anybody use them, but I'm gonna say they go with my banner.
    You'll have to make some adholders to go with yours.

What the crap????

Why are you making all these rules at the last minute? I thought we said that we could keep the adholders there!

If the adholders go with whatever banner wins, we can keep them (I really like them), but if they don't go well with it, we'll take them down.

Got this from the first page.

I thought they went along well with my banner too, but I guess I was wrong. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't you feel good to know that we still like the adholders you made?? [face_frustrated]

6. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    Sorry. You're right. I did say that, so I'm going to stick by it.
    I honestly don't know why I said that. I was in a weird mood yesterday.

Okay, so I guess the best way to do this is to say that in order to vote, you need to PM Dajaun. I would suggest waiting a day or two to send in your vote. We'll say the deadline for the voting is the 27th.

Now let's open discussion about what we like and what we don't like about both of them.

With mine I was trying to make it look/seem like St. Louis is the center of everything and part of the Star Wars universe by making it seem like the Jedi Council is located here and overlooks the river and Arch. I spent way too much time adjusting different sections of that image because the screenshot I took from TPM was in the middle of the day and I needed it to look like it was at dusk.

What's everyone else think?

7. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    QGB - I love the council looking over the river. Looks fantastic!

JCF - I feel the same way about you're adding some other "about town" images (although we only get one more year out of Busch) and some shots of members.

We need to wait for others to chime in with their thoughts, but if I were to recommend a course of action - it be for you two to merge your banners into one. Take the best elements from each.

I hope neither of you feel slighted or that this would be bastardizing your work. It's just my opinion, which my boss reminds me daily isn't worth a squirt of tinkle!!! :)

8. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    The main thing I find distracting is the text. On Brian's the separation of St. and Louis makes you work a little to hard to read it. Scott's is a little easier to read, but I think slightly far apart.

Scott's banner is much more "busy" and "energetic". Lots of elements packed well into one banner. And the "Vader helmet in the Arch" is AWESOME! Not only does it look great, it's a nice tribute to the former name. :p

9. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Opinions are good Tim, I always encourage constructive criticizm on my work, whether it is my fanfic, or something like this.

I feel the same way about you're adding some other "about town" images (although we only get one more year out of Busch) and some shots of members.

I will always like Busch Stadium more than the mistake they are going to build in its place. I put it on there so we could remember once it's gone. :(

As for the members on the sidebar, I tried to get as much members as I could, using the photos that we had on Dajuan's photobucket site and on other spots throughout the board.

I tried to balance the images from the movies, meaning I didn't want a lot of Revenge of the Sith ones in the banner, I wanted to split the images between the first three movies and the last three. I think I did good on that... What do you think?

Also, I cannot figure out how to get the pictures together in one like Brian did. :( Once again, Photoshop is best, not Picture-It! Publishing... Grr.

10. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    Lve the mix of movies and the members on the sidebar is an excellent idea. Makes it more personal!

Here you go!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/KOB/ScottsFFBannerfull.jpg]

11. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Who is the person next to Jon on your banner Scott?

12. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    Good question! I'm stumped!

13. DarthShoey

Oct 28, 2003
    Come on guys, that's Phil.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Phil who?

15. DarthShoey

Oct 28, 2003
    Phil McKracken

16. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    We were in Junior High together... :p

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Haha boys.

All silliness aside.

Bri, I like the one without the sunburst better that the one with it. The sunburst is a little much and covers the image behind it. My favorite part of yours is the StL skyline mixed in the SW universe, that is so cool!

Scott, I like the colors of the St.Louis and the fact that you put our pictures into it. It makes it more personal.

As for voting, 27 sounds good unless I don't hear from many people (many people means </=7). The problem with doing this around the holiday is that we lose a few people.

Who can vote:
    1) Been to a meeting in the past year and have a registration date of Nov 04 or before
    2)Never been to a meeting:
    *but have a post count of 100, more that half of which are in the StL boards
    *have a registration date of Nov 04 or before.

I will do a check on any accounts I suspect as socks, and disallow any votes of those people. If you are found guilty of attempting to stuff the box with a sock, all of your votes will be tossed, and it may result in a temporary ban. Sound fair?

Also I'd like everyone to post in here that they have voted to help avoid any arguements. You should not say what you voted, simply that you voted.

18. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    the whole reason I made the text the way I did was because that's the way the old movie titles look. they have Star in the top left corner, the title of the movie, then Wars in the bottom right. I did that as sort of a tribute to that.

I like a few elements of JCF's, but personally, I don't care for how much is in it. To me, there's just too much stuff going on. Plus there's that extremely abrupt cut in the middle of it right next to that Imperial gaurd.
    If I could pick out anything I don't like about the current one, it's that it seems too busy. With the new one, I tried to make it more mellow and relaxed.

That's just all my opinion though.

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Crap, I forgot to add, that we should just vote for Brian's (QGB) or Scott's (JCF). If Brian's wins we will then vote on which version we want. That way, votes for him banner won't get split in two, ya ken?

Edited my typo, and "ya ken?" is Nac Mac Feegle for "you understand?"

20. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    Sounds good to me!

21. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    the whole reason I made the text the way I did was because that's the way the old movie titles look. they have Star in the top left corner, the title of the movie, then Wars in the bottom right. I did that as sort of a tribute to that.

That's cool. The thing about that is that the old titles were connected by a border, easily leading one to the other.

22. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    For easier comparison:

[image=http://www2.truman.edu/~bss279/both.jpg]

thing about that is that the old titles were connected by a border, easily leading one to the other.

Usually. I have seen a few instances without it. I tried it on this one, and, I don't know, it seemed to cut it off from the rest of the banner. This way it fits much nicer. Plus, I was already blocking enough of the Jedi Council scene. When I tried it with the border, it really looked like it was blocking a lot more.

23. KOB

Aug 22, 2004
    But with the extra glare, you can barely even tell it's the Jedi council.

24. gilraen

gilraen Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2004
    I let Dajuan know of my vote. I am leaving very early in the morning for Colorado and had to get it in.

Everyone have a great holiday!

25. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I want to start off by saying THANK YOU KEN for putting the banner together fully so people can see.
    When I tried to do that with mine, there was a big white line running across where I merged them.

On Brian's banner:
    The whole council overlooking the St. Louis city is just great. Very innovative idea! The glare though does take away from that part of the banner, you can't really see that it is the council.
    The thing about that is that the old titles were connected by a border, easily leading one to the other.
    That I noticed too, but I can see Brian's side of it.

It's funny Brian, we both had the same idea with the Coruscant city. ;) Just two different images. Your cutouts are good, especially Sidious. I just can't figure out how to do that with mine, and get the background out of the lightsaber glow... If I pulled that off, I could have done something with the many images I had of Jedi with lightsabers. The two things I don't care for much though is the fact that the Anakin face is cut off at the bottom of the banner, and his robe is sort of square next to the background and Threepio, no fading into it. The other thing is there is too much ROTS pics in there. I knew that wouldn't fly with mine, so I tried to even out the images from each of the movies. Your sidebar is cool too.

To me, there's just too much stuff going on. Plus there's that extremely abrupt cut in the middle of it right next to that Imperial gaurd.
    If I could pick out anything I don't like about the current one, it's that it seems too busy.

I made it sort of like the old banner, I liked the fact that there was a lot of stuff going on. I don't like how the banner at the JCC is just one pic of Coruscant and a Clone Trooper. Boring! The banners at the Literature boards and the Star Wars Saga boards are great. The one at the AotC boards is just horrible. Banners with more stuff in it I have found out, more viewers like it. They can look at it longer and see stuff they never noticed before. ;)

Now onto the questions:

Who is the person next to Jon on your banner Scott?
    Good question! I'm stumped!
    Come on guys, that's Phil.
    Phil who?
    Phil McKracken
    We were in Junior High together...

Give Tim a cookie! :D

No, seriously, that's not Phil. ;) You might be able to see it better if you get the bigger size of the sidebar on the link above. I'll give you a hint, he's not an actual member of our group, we did meet because of him and others though... ;)

As for the rules:
    Sound fair?
    Definitely.

Oh, and the pic of the comparisons is cool. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.