main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New Battlestar Galactica *Spoiler Free Edition*

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Oh.

I can see why they'd want Boomer dead but they've gotta realize just how valuable of a military asset she is as a captive.

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Wait, wait, wait.

The entire fleet is not from Earth? Instead they are search for Earth?

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yes, er no.

The fleet is from the 12 colonies. Caprica and some other astrology based places (I think the names have changed from the original series). Thats one of the main things that happened in the mini (which I think you said you haven't seen). Adama tells them that the commanders of all the Battlestars were told the location of Earth (which is kind of a mythological planet as the home of the 13th colony from the original exodus). Problem was that Adama was lying about the whole thing (he admitted it to the President and various others have found out).

4. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    However by lying to the people of the fleet he gave everyone something to live for and a reason to continue to search for a new home. Otherwise the suicide and combat casulty rates would've been much higher because no one would care if they lived or died or would even prefer death to life.

In the Colonial bible it is said that the the people of Kobol pissed off the Lords and went searching for a new home. 12 tribes stuck together in this search while one decided to go in another direction, eventually all tribes found a new home. The original 12 colonies are all in one solar system (different planets) while the lost tribe settled on a planet called Earth.

5. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Right. I had added the kobol thing in an edit but apparently it didn't take.

6. Grillbu_Fett

Grillbu_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2005
    Oh yeah!:) Next week they're going to show the pilot of the original series on German TV. I'm curious what the original Battlestar Galactica was all about. I think I read something about a war against the Cylones that took 1,000 years, and that GL thought about going to court against it...?

7. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Thanks guys. I think I understand it now.

:)

8. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Ooh! A non-spoiler BSG thread! Thanks Dajuan!

9. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    You gotta watch this show in order starting with the mini or you will be lost and miss all the backstory. Its a very character driven show.

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    You're welcome Scott :)

I think if you start at the begining of season one and watch a few then go back to the mini you'll be ok. In fact that's the order I've recommended it to some people in order to get them hooked because the mini is a little slow to start.

11. Grillbu_Fett

Oct 6, 2005
    What do you mean by "mini"? I'm sorry to ask, but German TV limps after due to synchronisation, you see? Is there the three-hour-pilot, the series and a mini-series, some kind of special TV movies?

If someone knows: I have a question that showed up with the pilot of the original BG-series.
    It was supposed to be the pilot, but one thing screwed me up. Does somebody know how many movies of the original BG are?
    I'd like to know how does it come that Baltar is killed by the Cylones in the pilot?

12. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    There was the miniseries, which I assume is the same as the divided pilot you've seen. Then there's two seasons worth of shows.

Hadn't noticed there was a non-spoiler thread before! This is awesome.

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    So any theories on how it will all end? I think something's going to happen to the Peagsus somehow. It can't be destroyed since Apollo's now Commander, but I bet we are left in the dark about it. IIRC this two parter is about a planet which can substain human life, wonder how that's going to play out.

14. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    Jedi_Dajuan .... this is the Spoiler FREE edition. No plot points here please!

15. weezer

May 16, 2001
    IIRC there are at least three version of the pilot. There was the movie where they killed Baltar at the end. When they switced to the pilot they saved him so he could be in the series. I think there was another one with a more dramatic death but I'm not sure about that.

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I meant personal theories, not spoiler ones. You know speculation.

17. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I don't know, but after reading this, I am VERY pumped about what might happen... And lots of thoughts are going through my head.

Don't worry, this isn't spoiler material. It's common sense we are going to be left on the edge of our seats... This is Battlestar! :)

Nothing, however, in the first two hours of the ?Battlestar Galactica? finale can really prepare you for what happens in Season 2?s final half hour. Many revelations are packed into the final few minutes, and to reveal a single one of them would be a base act of treachery.

Still, it?s astonishing how confident Moore and the ?Battlestar? writers are. They clearly know they have many more stories to tell, so dropping dozens of revelations into the last few minutes of the season ? and doing it skillfully, without flash or smoke and mirrors ? is no problem. They make it look easy, and a show with this many moving parts is clearly not easy to make. In any case, by the last spoken line of the season finale, you?ll be on the edge of your seat ? and once again wondering just how the Galactica fleet is going to survive.

Got this from this site.

I cannot wait. :D

18. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I watched all the mini-series episodes back-to-back on DVD at a quietish party (sitting in front of the TV, having a few drinks and eating junk) a few months ago. Loved it. My boyfriend got the first season on DVD, and now we're getting the second season as well.

I remember seeing a glimpse of the original show as a kid, and being scared witless by the original Cylons. I was disappointed at not seeing the pneumatic syringes any more, though. The old hissing sound scared me almost as much as the Cylons did!

I think the flying Cylons are the best, and not what you'd think. Although to be fair, I'm a bit tired of all the female Cylon-male human relationships. I hope we get a male Cylon-female human one later. Different dynamic.

The thing that really strikes me as funny is how they use Greek god names for their Lords of Kobol, and how the Cylons, or at least Number Six, apparently believe in one God...

19. Grillbu_Fett

Oct 6, 2005
    At first I was disappointed, too. But it was quite interesting to see them as a possible past of the New Battlestar Galactica. The new Cylon warriors are still menacing, less human and therefore less vulnerable, but I admit that I find the old ones more scary.

IMO they lost a little in inviolability because Starbuck managed to fly one. I found the perspective very scary to have only brains, no matter whether electronic or organic, fly them without any control stick and flight instruments.

20. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I just wanted to up this very old thread as we are less than two weeks away from Season 3 of Battlestar Galactica and as much as I'd love to discuss the show with fellow fans, I, like many others are hesistant about spoilers. So I just wanted to up this spoiler free edition so that we might all congregate and rejoice in the Gods graces.

I'm on my way to bed, but just to start it off, what are you hoping to see happen in S3? I'm hoping Boomer gets reunited with her child and rejoins the fleet proper as a Raptor pilot. I'm hoping that Galactica Boomer (one Kalie shot) will betray the Toasters and help the humans on Caprica hide and supply them with arms, while Caprica Sharon is coordinating a rescue mission with the Fleet.

21. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I think both Sharons will be instrumental this season. I know from the TV shots both are still around.

Yay for re-viving the spoiler free thread :D

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I sooo can't wait for this to start! I need to crack out my disks and rewatch all of season 2 beforehand though to really pump me up.

Predicition time - however the fleet escapes, this time they will leave Baltar behind. It's time that he joins the Cylon Fleet and (incorrectly) believes that they worship him :p There's just no way that he'll be allowed to stay w/ the fleet. Not that he would want to w/ his real Six finally at his side.

Question is what will happen when the voices in their heads meet? That makes MY head hurt! LOL!

Will we finally find out Starbuck's big purpose in the grand scheme of things?

23. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I just picked up season 2.5 yesterday. I warch the extended addition of paguses and resurection ship 1 and 2 back to back. These three eps together were amazing. They are good individualy, but even better together.

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I know! I was suprised to find that the attempted rape of Sharon, wasn't an attempt at all, she really was raped! Totally made me rethink that whole exchange.

25. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    yeah that was intense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.