main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New Battlestar Galactica *Spoiler Free Edition*

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    She didn't get raped in the original version. The extended version has a totally alternate scene.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Hmm, I don't have my DVDs here or I'd rewatch the two versions. I thought the new one was just extended not totally different.

3. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    One more day until new episodes of Battlestar!

w00t!!11

4. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    I can't believe no one has posted since the new season has started...

Third episode tonight, can't wait...

D_M_S_L

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    *Cracks Knuckles - blows dust off of thread*

Ok, so first off, who here thinks that this season is by far the most exciting EVER? I swear last week my heart was thundering in my chest and my jaw kept dropping farther on my chest as the story progressed. I'm in utter awe of this show and how every week it continues to make this wonderful universe richer and fuller than the last.

I loved Lee finally finding his edge again and jumping in to save his old man. The sacrifice of the Pegasus was worth it in order to survive. The Pegasus itself was rather steeped in blood so having it go down in a blaze of glory was a worthy death to it.

We haven't seen the end of Kara's captor. I feel so horrible for her, you certainly can't blame her if she turns out even more screwed up than she already was before the beginning of this season after her capture.

How do you all think that the rankings are going to go on Galactica now that they merged the 2 crews? I'm thinking Tighe will be out as XO. A) He'll know w/ his limp and his missing eye that he's no longer physically fit for the job B) Lee has earned the right for that job.

Poor Tighe - I can't believe he killed Ellen :_| At least she somewhat redeemed herself at the end and finally ended all debate that she was a cylon.

What do you all think? Any speculations (not based in fact) over what will happen this season?

6. Jon_Goodfellow

Jon_Goodfellow Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2006
    I doubt Lee will take over as XO. The fat suit will be gone two episodes down the road. I don't think he'd lose all that weight just standing around in the CIC. :p

As for the death of the Pegasus being worth it... I tend to disagree. The fleet just lost their best military asset. Not only was she the bigger, stronger battlestar, but the Pegasus was the only ship in the fleet capable of making new vipers. So, were the Cylons to decide to attack in force again, the fleet that once had half a chance now has virtually none.

Lee should have jumped in with everything he had. There was no practical reason to leave all his birds behind with the civilians, especially since at least half of them would have been manned by nuggets or crewmembers with only a basic knowledge of fighter combat. Remember, Lee complained that he couldn't even maintain a full CAP with all the retired personnel on New Caprica, and Pegasus was manned by only three raptors worth of people when she jumped in.

If the Cylons went after the civilians, they'd have been frakked either way. On the flipside, had Lee brought his birds with him, they could have assisted Galactica's in keeping the Raiders off both ships while the non-flight crewmembers stayed at their stations and allowed The Beast to do more than just fly in a straight line and shoot in one direction. She could have survived to die another day in an even more spectacular blaze of glory.

So, yeah. Lee did save the day in the end, but he also severely crippled the entire fleet. He acted stupidly. :p

Go n-ithe an cat thú, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

7. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Oh sure. But either way, this rescue mission was going to cost the fleet one of their battlestars. They were going to be crippled no matter what, so hindsight tells us that it didn't matter that Lee came to save the day. It's actually a better outcome because more people survive this way.

Either way though you're right. The fleet lost the Pegasus, so that leaves them with how many battlestars left? Let me count here. 1... 4 ... divide by Pi. Oh yeah, they have just one left! :p

8. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Who else thought that Exodus 2 was the worst episode of BSG to date? Horrific acting, atrocious dialogue, scenes set up so poorly it was painful to watch. Half the episode was unrealistic drivel, not worthy of the campiest of Dr. Who. Granted, there were some good scenes, but for the first time, the bad outweighed the good. I can only wonder what sort of brain damage the writers suffered between drafting the season opener and Exodus, and what the director was smoking/popping/injecting to film such...such...such filth.

I had invited several friends over to watch the latest episode of BSG. They had never seen the show before, and I had been lauding it to no end for weeks. After the show ended, I was literally embarassed at having made them sit through that. All I could do was gape in surprise and mumble apologies. BSG definately didn't make any new fans in my home last Friday.

Ashame, the season started out so well. I suppose I should have seen this coming, after Callie's cringe-inducingly bad line to Tyrol in Exodus 1 "What now? What's going to happen to us?" They managed to power through two flawless seasons. Too bad they had to choke now, and choke hard. I hope that they can get their stride back. If not, I don't know if I'm going to have the motivation to sit through more of this. I used to look forward to BSG more than anything else each week. Now I'm not sure that I'll even be watching the next episode.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    ObiWan506

Oh sure. But either way, this rescue mission was going to cost the fleet one of their battlestars. They were going to be crippled no matter what, so hindsight tells us that it didn't matter that Lee came to save the day. It's actually a better outcome because more people survive this way.

Absolutely. Maybe it wasn't the absolute smartest plan, but there was no way that Galactica was going to survive against 4 Baystars. Pegasus, being larger, could afford to take more hits so that Galactica could escape to fight another day.

In the end, you knew that the Pegasus had to be sacrificed at some point, the show is called "Battlestar Galactica" not "Battlestar Pegasus" :p

Even if they did lose their manufacturing plant on Pegasus, I can be certain that Chief and his crew will do what they can to create more crafts. The Galactica crew is scrappy and will do what they need to in order to continue to survive.

Radical

I'm not sure what you were watching last Friday, but that was by far the most exciting episode of Galactica to date. I refuse to nit-pick my television viewing, I watch to be entertained and with Galactica, I'm always left thinking about the show days later. I love that you can watch an episode, then go back, rewatch older episodes and connect dots that you didn't realize were there before.

The show's getting better and better.

10. Jon_Goodfellow

Jon_Goodfellow Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2006
    Not necessarily. If Lee had jumped in with all he had, he could have bought Galactica the time it needed, which was surprisingly short, to get its FTL back up (and get what few civilian ships that hadn't jumped away yet time to escape) while maintaining enough vipers and crew to save its own ass. If we assume that a raptor can hold around 6 people, not including flight crew who would have stayed in the cockpit anyway, then Lee brought the Pegasus in with only 18 people running it. A full crew (well, what constituted a full crew during this time) could have maintained its FTL and manned the weapons if need be. The Pegasus did, after all, take a pounding from no less than 3 basestars last season (basestars using nukes, no less, which was not the case here) and survive. Over New Caprica, it was facing 2... 2 and a half at most (annihilated one in the opening salvo and badly damaged another). I think it could have gotten away.

Oh well. :p

Go n-ithe an cat thú, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, if the two battlestars had gone in together with their Vipers a la "Resurrection Ship, Part II" they would have both survived. Galactica and Pegasus easily annihilated two basestars without much damage to themselves; they could handle four, especially if Galactica was used as bait and Pegasus came in with forward batteries blazing (kinda like what happened but planned). The Cylons were not at all interested in pursuing the remnants of the civilian fleet, so they could do without protection for a relatively short while.

Also, why didn't Pegasus turn on another basestar after quickly destroying the first? I think it could've taken out a second before the Cylons regrouped, which would have improved the odds considerably.

12. SpreadtheMuse

SpreadtheMuse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2006
    Astounding. I agree with absolutely nothing of the above. So dont worry, its not the shows fault, and your friends will come around.

13. SpreadtheMuse

Apr 6, 2006
    In the end, you knew that the Pegasus had to be sacrificed at some point, the show is called "Battlestar Galactica" not "Battlestar Pegasus"

Whereas we all love the Pegasus, in the end I reconciled the death of the Pegasus (and I was there yelling at my screen NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!), by remembering that Ron Moore is clearly trying to stay far and away from the bane of his days on Star Trek (and it does sour my tongue to mention that show here):::::: The Universal Reset Button.

All of this high drama is exactly that, HIGH drama, and it is multiplied by a factor of ten becuase of all these bad decisions and us yelling at the screen. We need a REAL story, not a convenient one. The death of the Pegasus is a stark stake in the heart of Baltar, as the mistake was not sending the Galactica into battle, it was landing on the planet in the first place, and once that mistake was made, somebody somewhere was going to have to pay for it with more than a rush of fevered heroics. The story is at its most cracklingly severe when we understand that every decision leads to life or death. EVERYTHING has to be done correctly or people will die and non-renewable resources (such as Battlestars) will be lost. THATS the good story. I wouldnt have sent in only one Battlestar anyway, but we have no way of knowing how many more baseships would have leaped in if the cylons always knew they would be dealing with two battlestars.

Dont worry about new vipers. Surely they must have thought of that by now, and the Galactica did build the Blackbird after all. Vipers are meant for hit and run attacks anyway, not Battlestar defense as the Battlestar has hundreds of those anti-raider chain-guns all over its surface.

Now thats the end of the Pegasus arc. Next up, the Iblis arc (I hope).

14. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    What's going on with the battlestar episode?
    It seems like all the characters from the previous seasons are hardly seen. We have seen very little of Helo. Starbuck and Apollo have had brief scenes here and there, and they haven't had a scene together since the fleet has rejoined.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    You'll get what you want.

16. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Actually, I just watched that episode again with my brother last night. There were at least 4 raptors that left the Pegasus (you can see 4 different bursts when they go FTL). That also doesn't count out the possibility that there were more crew who left from the other launch bay (we only saw departures from one side of the ship).

Kimball Kinnison

17. SpreadtheMuse

Apr 6, 2006
    Well its only been one episode, hold your horses. And I cant agree that Apollo has been "brief," for his battle sequence was worth the wait of the entire 3 previous eps. I dont really have any use for Halo however. This the is the Adama show.

18. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    Well I finally got to see the rerun of last friday's episode (conspirators) last night. Pretty intense I must say. Also probably one of the most depressing episodes ever as well, although it certainly could have been worse if gaeta had been executed. Tigh and Starbuck were opinionated and feisty before, but now, man...

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    When to the re-runs of BSG typically play? I"m going to miss this week's and the one two weeks from now. I can't record them because I don't have a VCR, my TV tuner is missing a part, and the places I'm going won't have recoring capabilities either.

20. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    It was on Monday night at 9PM MST. Check your local listings, or Yahoo has a really good search function for TV shows: http://tv.yahoo.com/grid/

Just go to the bottom, search for BSG and it'll show you when it's playing. A quick search gave me this:

Battlestar Galactica - "Torn"
    SCIFI, Fri Nov 03 07:00pm MST

? Battlestar Galactica - "Torn"
    SCIFI, Fri Nov 03 09:00pm MST

? Battlestar Galactica - "Torn"
    SCIFI, Mon Nov 06 09:00pm MST

? Battlestar Galactica - "A Measure of Salvation"
    SCIFI, Fri Nov 10 07:00pm MST

? Battlestar Galactica - "A Measure of Salvation"
    SCIFI, Fri Nov 10 09:00pm MST

? TV Watercooler - "Jamie Bamber: Battlestar Galactica"
    TVGC, Wed Nov 01 02:00pm MST

TVGC, Thu Nov 02 08:00pm MST

TVGC, Fri Nov 03 07:00pm MST

TVGC, Sat Nov 04 11:00am MST

? I Love the '70s Volume 2 - "1978"
    VH1, Thu Nov 09 08:00pm MST

21. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    My mum managed to figure out how to record on the VCR so I didn't miss it :D

Apollo's back to his old self, yay!! Oh how I missed yummy Apollo.

Anyone else notice a lack of certian characters? This season has been too centered around Baltar and the cylons right now. I almost wish they'd have left his fate a bit more a mystery.

22. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I haven't seen any Battlestar Galactica episodes yet.

There is a new Sci-Fi channel starting in Australia this December, and they will be screening Season One. I'm looking forward to it. :)

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I think this past week's episode and arch are rather isolated. Until Gaius leaves the cylons and comes back to the fleet (hypothetically) we'll probably see more of the cylons.

I don't mind too much, I find it fascinating and a bit confusing :p

It's interesting that the Six in Baltar's subconscious thinks even farther ahead of her live counterpart. I also find it interesting that Caprica is still protecting Baltar even though it does feel like there's a distance between them.

24. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    definitely one of the more confusing episodes I've seen in awhile. I am getting so into this show lately. Between this and Dogfights on the history channel, I rarely want to go out anymore.

And Gears of War is going to make things worse.

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I'm going to take a wild stab and say that I doubt Rosylin's threat to make the cylons "extinct" will happen. The show would get rather boring if they did that this soon :p

Can't wait for tonight's episode though. Poor Athena looks completely worried and freaked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.