main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon The new beginning.... or fall of the OFF...

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Colt1326, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colt1326

Colt1326 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2007
    In another topic the question was asked what the purpose of the AML is. Let me magnify every detail. Two things happened when I posted that. One, people flew off the handle, two activity rose, and not just because of colors.

The list did exactly what it was intended for. AramysStrael hit it right on the nose, and boy did it work.

Not including color posts, between Jawafett, AramysStrael, Larena_Jade, and myself there was over 48 posts in two days. Just with the four of us. Now, imagen if all of us saw what happened here? Crash, blue, and everyone else? think of all the more posts and activity we would of had. This is exactly as AramysStrael said in another post. Scare tactics. Not only did this boost activity, but it start other topics in it too like the SWG topic.

Everything happened exactly as planned. I knew once I posted the AML that Larena_Jade would rally against me, and along with her AramysStrael. I figured a couple would agree on the AML. And I figured if Crash did see this would probably fall in between and been a mediator, kind of what the colors did. The reason I did this is because America is so obsessed with drama I figured I would bring some in to boost activity and like I said before, it worked. Now think if we can take that energy we used to argue and put it towards Star Wars and thrive about the OFF we would be one of the top active boards. We have enough people we just need to work at it.

If you at least visited the OFF everyday activity would rise and we would be a lot more well known. Not to mention more meetings. And please don't give a crap excuse saying "I only post if it suits me" This is the OFF! The Oregon STAR WARS fan force. Everything here suits you. Just so long as you like star wars.

Now before you blow off the handle and yell and scream and go on, and on, and what not. Please go back and look at how many replies you did. Now think if you did that everyday? Not only would we be more active but getting meetings together would be a lot easier.

Short and sweet:

Is the AML real? No, no it isn't. We already have something like it, the survey. (which does need updating)

What was the purpose of this? To get people to talk, to get them to understand that regardless of of what they say you are still capable of putting in multiple posts a day just so long as you have an interesting topic.

Did I call in the colors? No, I didn't they came in on their own. There was no need for them, but they did their job and came in anyways.

Now this is your choice, you can make this place more active and get the OFF well known or just leave it as it is and and let the OFF be nothing. I will play out my part in it either way, but regardless I can't do it without you.

2. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    So...what's the problem here? The only thing i'm understanding from all that is you want to control the number of conversations around here?

Where will this lead you? No one can force conversation in a person. If anything it destroys the want to talk to a bunch of strangers on the internet. You forget one thing: WE ARE DISPOSABLE.

But again. I'm not sure what the problem is.

P.S. Predicted the commotion, aye? Well of course. Any kind of thing can cause that. But you notice... where is everyone else? They aren't getting into this no way no how. And once it blows over then all your have succeeded in is, yes, a whole lot of commotion. The end?

3. Colt1326

Colt1326 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2007
    No I never said I wanted to control the conversations just that there should be more of it.

EDIT: And there is no problem I proved a point that everyone can engage into a conversation if they desire to. But without that desire then there would be really no point in having the OFF is there? No that is why we have the OFF because we want to be here but we just need more conversations going.

4. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
  5. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Yes, although I have been known to cause trouble myself, I have played the mediator more than once. I had to learn this during my year and a half stint as CR. As Chapter Rep you have to represent the chapter at it's best. A CR is not a leader, but a mediator and a representative of the group. At best, the CR helps create group energy and help focus this energy towards activities that the "group" wants to do. I stepped down as CR because I didn't have the consistent time to monitor the forum, and keep energy going. The way to keep the energy going is to post new topics of interest, and to promptly reply to other members posts. But you have to do this in a rationed way, you should not post just for posting sake (even as CR) because reading random posts just gets boring after a time. I agree that we all need to post more, but forcing people to post, or "tricking" them to post, will not work for long. Eventually, members will just get sick of the drama, and walk away.

And having members "against" the CR is one good way to have them walk away.

6. jawafett

jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep star 3

Mar 13, 2003
    Smoking mirrors, back room deals and conversations, bait and switch. These are all political and marketing terms. These past few days worth of postings have been nothing more than to take a stab at a hornet's nest and see what comes out. Too much drama. I have my own to deal with. I'm sorry to say that I'm leaving this place alone until this "FanForce" can right itself. I'll be monitoring transmissions from the Outer Rim.

-Solo Out

7. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004

And for this, I have lost all respect for you, dude. Scare tactics don't work, threats don't work. So you achieved your goal of getting more posts out of members. Bravo. You plan worked. It also fostered a lot of drama that is not needed or wanted, even if you do. That just shows a lack of maturity on your part.

Yeah, let's just drum up some drama to get more activity and bolster this club.... yeah, that isn't the way to do it. Crash is right, the CR job is that of creating group energy and excitement, he's right about posting topics that will generate interest.

This wasn't energy and excitement, and nor was it a topic of interest. This was another one of your pathetic rants to motivate people through heavy-handed antics. And look what you have done.... you didn't bolster the OFF, you are fragmenting it. And now members are leaving because of your ill-thought and illogical actions. I call B.S. on that!

You want drama, Colt, go watch a soap opera! You want a place for fellow Star Wars to come together, then put forth an atmosphere that is warm and inviting, not rigid and stuffy like has been the case these past few months.

My only hope is that someone with a little more maturity and common sense will step up to replace you as CR. If not, I am out, too!

- Bill

8. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Ouch.

Well, OFF does need someone with maturity to be CR, it's nothing against Colt but a leader has to have the ability to get the best out of the members, to make for a fun experience for everyone.

I will say I can understand Colt's perspective from experience, which is to say I've been on forums where I created a lot of controversy and as soon as I left, stopped posting, or was banned (hehe), the forum essentially died. It's sad to say but many forums need that spark, though it can't come from the top because it's not appropriate. In general it's best it comes from a few rebel-rousing members who unite the rest of the members into posting more, sort of like the old Salem witch trials. Sure, nobody was really a witch, but the community could have a common cause to unite against that held them together. So funny how humanity works. I posted on one forum that I co-founded years ago, and I always stirred controversy with my posts, not intentionally, just because that's how I am, especially online, and when I left to create another forum of my own with some of the members from that forum who agreed more with the way I wanted the forum to be ran, that forum took only about 30 days to die. It went from tons of active topics to maybe 3-4 total posts a day in the main forum. Pathetic. Sometimes if you keep people coming back to respond to a controversial topic, they end up responding to plenty of other threads too.

That being said, I don't think creating drama intentionally is really a good cause. It's especially not good from the leader, who should be a uniting force not a dividing one, and not a uniting force *against* him either ;)

9. Quick1966

Quick1966 Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2007
    I always am happy to come and visit OFF when I can.. So I am goin gto put a few things to add light hearted things to OFF, and this topic.. OFF will always be here.. WOO HOO>
    =D= =D= [face_dancing] 8-} =D= :p [:D] [face_dancing] =D= =D= =D= =D= [face_monkey] [face_dancing]

10. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    This is like MasterKeyan all over again

11. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Ah, yes.....MasterKeyan o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.