main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Careful. There are some scary folks around here.

2. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    I've seen them sharping their spoons.

3. Kopy.Kunoichi

Kopy.Kunoichi Jedi Knight

Dec 21, 2015
    So, as a longtime fan - I believed this myself...that SW had long established that you didn't need to have powerful parents to have powers. But honestly, for many general audience fans that I've talked to, that is not a common perception. Most people forget the details of the PT and remember the OT the most clearly. And though it was not the original intent, as each movie came out, it seemed to demonstrate that the force sensitive people (besides Yoda and Obi-Wan, who we could only guess at their pedigree) were all Skywalkers. Vader, Luke, and Leia were the only other FS characters...in the first movie, none were related (but we knew Luke's father was a Jedi). In the second movie, we find Luke and Vader are related and Leia is FS. In the third movie, Leia gets added to family. So yeah, a lot of people incorrectly assumed that lineage was important, because no one else was FS, only force resistant (like Jabba).

So I can understand why a lot of fans thought that because of Rey's incredible powers, she HAD to be related to a Skywalker, because all the other Jedi lines had been wiped out with Order 66.

Personally, I doubted she was a Skywalker or Solo, but entertained the idea of a Kenobi granddaughter if only because it would be satisfying to see Anakin's grandson and Obi-Wan's granddaughter reconcile. But alas, that was not to be.

In regards to this thread's actual topic...I have heard a rumor that JJ intends to "end the Skywalker saga" in IX. Now some interpret that as Ben has to die, but since he's technically a Solo, I remain dubious. I think that with Luke gone and Leia also dying (we assume), that will be the end of the genealogy, but I imagine the end of saga will have more to do with closure and coming to a place of balance. The Skywalkers were supposed to bring balance to the force, and I believe they will.

I think an appearance from Anakin is likely, but only when Ben is at a place where he will listen to him. I think the KoR will betray Ben when they find out he killed Snoke. Hux will rise to power, and Ben will be backed in a corner. He will reach out to Rey through a very much still intact force connection (sorry Snoke, no one believes you did that). She'll help him, but it's gonna come at a price with her friends in the Resistance/Rebellion. I don't think there will be a reconciliation between Ben and Resistance, but perhaps a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Either way, once the FO is defeated, Ben will go into exile, because he needs to find himself (away from everyone else). But I think the third act of the film could feature a time skip and reveal Ben and Rey cooperating to train a new generation of force users who draw their power both from the dark and the light. Balance. Cooperation. Peace. A fitting end to the 3 generation war and the Skywalker Saga.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Revan's Revenge likes this.
  4. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    We got an explicit explanation for Anakin’s Force strength. Which is why wondering why Rey is just as powerful as Kylo is warranted. That’s just internal story consistency.

I’ve never seen or heard anyone indicate that they thought only Skywalkers could be Force-strong. Canonically, and as far as we can tell, nearly every Jedi has been born a “nobody.” In-universe, it’s a complete non-issue. No one cares. Unless you’re a descendent of Vader, in which case a wide swath of the galaxy hates you and Big Bads want to destroy or control you.

5. Kopy.Kunoichi

Dec 21, 2015
    No, I'm not saying they thought only Skywalkers were Jedi. I'm saying many believe that force sensitivity is hereditary, not random, and the OT seemed to suggest that. Yes, the PT directly addresses this, but a ton of people watched the PT once or twice and then forgot all the tiny details like midichlorines and the virgin birth of Anakin. Like I said, the information is there, and the fans who watched the movies and read the EU all know better, but many in the general audience believe (and understandably so) that one must be descended from a Jedi or force user to be force sensitive.

Furthermore, except for Anakin's parentage, no other Jedi's heritage is discussed in the PT movies, so unless you read the books, no moviegoer is going to know that the padawans who became Jedi weren't conceived by force sensitive parents. True, the PT does make it clear that the Jedi Order weren't supposed to have children, but it doesn't begin to give a picture on whether force sensitivity is rare across the galaxy. So again, even watching and paying close attention to the PT doesn't eliminate the idea that force sensitivity is hereditary.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  6. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t think that matters. It’s not a message if it’s meaningless in-universe. As you said - the information - “nobody” Jedi/heros = the status quo - is there. And lineage was never some exalted thing in-universe. (Leia was a princess yet was adopted, for example.) Lineage has mattered in terms of family relationships and legacy; it’s a genuine, major story element of the Saga. And, frankly, being a Skywalker kinda stinks.

“Found family” is lovely. But you can’t always choose your family. SW is about family as both a valuable part of life and as a burden that must be worked through.

And there have been significant PT references thus far that are meaningless to those who haven’t watched the PT. I don’t think LFL cares; the Saga is “one big story.”

7. Kopy.Kunoichi

Dec 21, 2015
    I honestly can't name a single Jedi who is established as a "nobody" from the PT or the OT movies, EU aside. Even when Qui-Gon questioned Shmi about Anakin, his first question was, "who was his father?". We don't know about the other Jedi and their parents. It may not matter in-universe, but we were speaking of why the fans assumed that Rey had to be descended from somebody. And I believe the reason they did assume that was because (outside of the EU) Star Wars movies have definitely implied that heredity matters. And it does. It's not the only thing that determines how strong someone is in the force. But honestly, I do believe that point has never been expressly stated or confirmed in any of the movies until TLJ.

So we may have taken in for granted all these years, having read the books...but for many fans, it is the first time anyone has informed them in a movie that someone who is truly nobody, naturally born of normal parents, could be force sensitive, let alone on par with someone who is descended from the galaxy's most powerful Jedi/Sith.

In any case, you are right that family (blood and adopted) is definitely one of the main central themes of Star Wars. That's obviously not new. Rey's struggle parallels Ben's struggle as each wrestle with the implications of how their parents treated them, the importance of who their parents were, and the value of having someone to call your own. I anticipate each will come full circle by the end of IX. Ben will understand that he must choose his own legacy, rather than being torn between fulfilling the legacies left by his parents and grandfather. And Rey will realize that her value is not determined by who gave her life and love, but by what she does with that life and who she offers her own love to - a lesson she is well on her way to learning, much because of Ben.

Darth Nave and Lost_Hope like this.
  8. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    I saw ANH in theatre as an 8yo, never read any EU and was never under the assumption a Jedi had to come from a line of force sensitives. In fact quite the opposite once the prequals began as they were all celibate as far as we knew, none of them had wives or families so I assumed all of them were born force sensitive from supposedly non-force sensitive parents.

The only outliers were Luke and Leia as we knew they decended from anakin.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This is exactly my feeling on this as well. I just keep feeling like TFA was intentionally building toward something. The difference between the ST and the other trilogies is that as mentioned, this "no one hero" concept was already used both in TPM and ANH. And in those, the main character had a significance and logical development which was hinted at in the first film, and developed on in the following two. The ST has not done this with Rey. They had all these (seemingly) obvious clues of where she could perhaps come from, and then we're basically told to just...forget about all that. Well, it's not that easy for me.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  10. Psycho Weiner

Psycho Weiner Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2017
    So are there actually any rumours about Episode 9 yet?

11. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Yoda as a Force ghost speaking to Rey.

Casting call for a woman to play Mara aged 40-50 who some think might be Mara Jade.

Luke possibly not coming back at all.

That’s about it from what I’ve heard.

12. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    We’re told to forget about a suspicious number of mysteries raised by TFA :p

It’s just...over-the-top.

13. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Driver cut his hair short a few weeks ago, which means filming is still a later in the year thing I suppose. And Daisy still has red hair the last I saw...

14. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Huh...

Daisy could dye her hair back, but I’m guessing they’d want Adam to have longish hair....unless perhaps there’s a time jump and he has a different haircut in 9?

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Perhaps he gets a trim for IX...

Would be nice to get a different look from the characters this time around.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The Emperor's New Haircut...

17. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    The Emperor's New Groovy Haircut.

18. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    You mean like this TLJ concept??
    [​IMG]

19. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Does kinda make him look evil-er...

In any case, if there’s a marked change in his alignment either way, I think some sort of new ‘do would be appropriate, whether or not it involves a shaved head.

20. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed. And I'm hoping for differing looks within the film as well.

I could see JJ giving Kylo some cybernetics and more scars this time out as well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Deerborne and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I don't know how Adam Driver looks these days, i mean the new haircut, didn't find anything on the internet...is it that short? Since shooting will happen in late july -let's say august/september for principal photography at the latest- we might be able to caculate how long his hair can be haha :D
    No seriously, gimme a link [face_skull][face_skull][face_skull]

22. Niamor05

Niamor05 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2018
    [​IMG]

no way he will have short hair or a shaved head in 9, he will still have his glorious hair, Abrams is back so maybe his hairstyle from TFA will be back:

[​IMG]

he's now supreme leader of the galaxy, he need to be attractive for the citizens of the galaxy.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  23. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    For the record I was being tongue in cheek. We have no spoilers,so the closest thing was he got a haircut

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh god, they're gonna CG hair onto Adam's head like when they removed hair from Cavill's face for JL, aren't they??

25. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    I think it's more likely that his appearance will instill fear. So I do think there will be some change in his look.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.