main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The New Empire 4: A Powerful Ally (NJO AU, COMPLETED AT LAST 030704.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sebulba2179, Nov 11, 2002.

1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I want to know what Luke did the last time something was personal. :)

2. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    What is it with those two-- always getting the rail action? :p

3. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    RebelMom - I'll see what I can do about exploring that little detail later in the fic or in the series. ;)

Saché - Well, I'll tell ya what it is with these two: surviving ventures like these only brings them cloooseerrr togetherrrr!! :D

Boy, less than a month since I last updated - making progress here! :p

Rubbing his hands together in anticipation, Sorveli turned to peek furtively around the corner behind him, double and triple-checking to ensure that he wasn't being shadowed. After ten minutes there was no sign of a surveillance blind, and he breathed easier as he returned his attention to the tunnel before him. Luke had passed into the tunnel earlier on the heels of a departing train, knowing that if he could catch the sound of another engine wafting down the tunnel shortly afterward, they could be certain of Gardulla's egress. Indeed, there was no way Jacen and Jerrica would be able to contact them while stowing away in the engine compartment.

At length, the rapid patter of footsteps carried out of the tunnel. There was still no motion to be seen - more often than not, Luke was a man in black when on a job. Sorveli couldn't see hide or hair of him until he finally reached the lower end of the platform, scampering rapidly up the ladder from the tunnel floor. Success-flushed though he was, Sorveli took no time to bask in victory right away. Even at this point, he and Luke had yet to rendezvous with Jaina, and then only if she had a chance to bring the Solo Flight close by.

"How's it going?" Sorveli queried.

"Well, everything's in motion," Luke said, setting off beside him at a brisk stride to the concourse. "Now let's just hope everything stays in motion smoothly enough for us to get the job done."

"The job's nowhere near done, Luke," Sorveli said tightly.

"What do you mean?"

"You think I'm just gonna stop at Gardulla?" Sorveli said, tossing up his hands. "Forget it, I'm goin' for the whole shmeer. If she's saying jump and the government's saying how high, they can drag her back down with 'em."

"Not to discourage you, Ray, but your superiors might not be as enthusiastic as you are," Luke cautioned.

"Hey, look, for all I care they can bust me to patrolman second. But as soon as they find out why I did it, they'll be asking themselves what 'disciplinary action' means."

"In other words, your entire career is resting on our ability to pull this off," Luke surmised dryly as they passed through the main gate out of the rotunda. "I just hope you're not going to be disappointed."

The line was as clear as the sky, the train was moving at speed. It had already gained fifty kilometers from Pixelito, the engine grinding and popping all the harder as it climbed the first grade toward Kostarreek. It was hauling five heavily loaded cars: the first contained the more valuable of Gardulla's gains, those that she couldn't afford to lose. The second car was occupied by a contingent of her henchmen, jointly guarding the first car and Gardulla's coach, ready to spring into action in either direction at a moment's notice. Behind Gardulla's coach rode a pattern reversal: a second hench-car, then the last car, loaded with less valuable loot that she could lose without breaking a sweat. Loaded as it was, the train still seemed able to maintain a respectable speed over the east main toward Kostarreek.

Even so, Tik Mishawk still had reservations.

He had been standing at the vista window of Gardulla's coach ever since the departure, staring tensely out ahead and to one side of the train, expecting the unexpected to happen at any second. He didn't care what kinds of mutterings went on behind his back. It was imperative for him to stay on his guard, claws twitching restlessly within his fingers. He only briefly flicked his gaze toward Nan Borsha, the Twi'lek overseer of Gardulla's imbursments, who was walking slowly over to him and staring out the window alongside him.

"What ails you?" he asked. "We're practically home free. Odds are the Jedi are still messing around in Pix

4. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    "Point," Jacen agreed. "Stay here and make sure he doesn't try anything funny. Seb, go on down and throw the switch, then join Jerrica and me for our regularly scheduled ass-kicking."

hehehehehe! regularly scheduled, indeed.

And I would have to say that our two hero-types now find themselves in quite the tight spot [face_plain]

5. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Like Sache I liked the ass kicking line. I also like Luke in black. :D Little worried about Ray - his big ideas might get him killed.

Uh oh, Jacen and Jerrica need some help.

6. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Saché - Funny how these Hutt thugs always seem to appear to throw them off schedule, isn't it? ;)

RebelMom - Luke in black was just for you. :D Oh yes, they'll be getting help, from a rather, ah, unexpected source...

"I think we've busted out on this one, Jace," Jerrica said matter-of-factly.

She was promptly rewarded with a sarcastic leer from the hood levelling the ridiculously long blaster carbine at her nose. "You better believe it, baby," he gloated.

Tempted as she was to throttle him for addressing her like a brainless hound, Jerrica fought her aggression back, giving Jacen a sidelong glance. "Any ideas?" she queried.

"Not really," Jacen said casually, shrugging. "I mean, they've disarmed us, they're armed to the teeth, and they've got us surrounded."

"Well, you've gotta be thinking of something. I'm getting to know that gleam in your eye ? you know, the light that's generated by that rocket turbine you call a brain."

"You might say that. Actually, I'm just thinking of what we could do if we were in a deep dark alley that reeked of Nar Shaadaa, instead of on a speeding train."

"What's the difference?" Jerrica frowned, acting as though she was trying to fathom what Jacen was driving at. His deviousness was growing on her, though ? it hadn't taken her more than a few seconds to figure out what he was up to.

"There is no difference," Jacen said, contemplatively cocking his head. "Either way, I'd just jump up in the air and roundhouse these two knuckleheads, like this."

As he finished, he did precisely that.

So lulled and distracted by Jacen and Jerrica's casual conversation, the hoods were totally unprepared for Jacen's move. Once airborne, he lashed backward with one foot, his boot connecting solidly with the jaw of the goon behind him. Bone cracked and blood spurted from the goon's mouth, but Jacen's roundhouse kick lost no momentum as it progressed to the goon standing behind Jerrica. His temple took the brunt of the impact, knocking him nearly senseless, and effectively disarming both him and his partner.

In the meantime, Jerrica, seeing that Jacen had drawn the undivided attention of the hoods in front of them, snared the growing advantage. She grabbed the enormous blaster carbine by its muzzle, jerking it out of its bearer's hands and ramming its butt squarely into his face, knocking him out for the count. The one beside him was quicker to react. Nostrils flaring and throat contracting, he snapped his weapon Jerrica's way, but she quickly jumped backward and out of sight at the side of the car. The hood burst through the still-open door, his rifle held in front of him at arm's length, but Jerrica was quite ready for him. He was just rounding the corner when Jerrica backswung the carbine upward, tearing his rifle clear out of his hands, then arced it down again to bury the stock in his midriff. Roaring aloud in pain, he doubled over, more than enough for Jerrica to finish him off by bringing the stock down on the back of his neck with all her strength.

Jacen was still working over the two hoods who had been flanking him, twisting their arms behind them and ramming both of them against the wall. Once he had gained a favourable position, he bashed their heads together and quickly retrieved the two lightsabers before they hit the floor, out cold. He threw one to Jerrica, not caring if it was his or hers, but as he did so, they both froze in their tracks ? they had almost forgotten about the last two hoods, who had been backing up their cronies at floor level. Now they were upright, and now they were advancing menacingly through the door, brandishing their blasters, one at each Jedi.

Jacen's thumb was just moving to flip on his lightsaber; it should be no difficult matter to parry the blaster fire ? if only it was necessary. For just as he and Jerrica were swinging their hilts up before them, an invisible wave abruptly came soaring out of nowhere, shocking the two thugs into an out-of-control stagger. Their weapons were summarily ripp

7. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Ahhhh! Sebby! I can't believe you did that. I was panting from all that excitement already and then you pull a cliffie. Scary thing is, I was thinking you might do one.

8. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    *applauds madly*

Terribly exciting, Seb, terribly exciting! Undoubtedly one of my favorite actiony scenes so far. And I was able to visualize everything so easily. Bravo! :D :)

9. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Wow. Three huge posts behind. *Makes a note to get caught up on this before Sebby goes and gets even futher ahead.* I'll be back tomorrow after I've caught up.

10. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Great posts, Sebby. You've really got a knack for making it look like everything's going to work out, and then it goes straight to the Sith. I have to admit, all this train action's making me think of Octopussy.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

11. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    RebelMom - Damn, I need to work on not being so predictable. :p I think you'll be able to catch your breath during this post, however.

Saché - *bows* Thankyouthankyou! As ever, so long as you're able to picture easily what's going on, my work here is done! :D

Tych - I saw parts of "Octopussy", but I've yet to see the whole thing. It might be more along the lines of "GoldenEye", sans the tank. ;) Should I hint at the way things are going to work out in this post? [face_mischief]

Jacen showed no fear, no qualm, no horror at what was happening to him. He wouldn't even if he had any reason to.

"Ignorance!" he retorted, shooting his gaze off to one side. By all rights, the thug should have paid no heed what was quite probably a very dirty trick, and continued to crush Jacen's hand. Instead, something inexplicable, like a voice in his head, made him look up and turn. Instinct was screaming at him that Jacen wasn't kidding; he was being ignorant.

He drew himself upright, but he was much too late. He spun to his right too slowly; it was only in his peripheral vision that he saw Jerrica still hanging onto the corner of the car, a split second before she swung herself upward and lashed out with both feet. Her boot soles smashed squarely into his face and chest, and he yelled out loud, flabbergasted and terrified of the result. Jerrica released her handhold and propelled herself on a Force skein, effectively removing him, sending him tumbling free of the platform and to the unheavenly reward of the Hutts.

Jerrica was practically sucking the Force out of herself as she used every ounce of strength she could muster to land squarely on the platform where the hood had just been. She jerked herself upright, landing cleanly on both feet, and dropping instantly to one knee with one hand held out to Jacen. He needed no encouragement ? he bared his teeth as he struck out with his injured hand, relying on his uninjured one to maintain his grip on the coupling. He laboured, hissed, and panted as he stretched determinedly toward Jerrica, who was clinging to the doorjamb as she tried to inch lower and grab Jacen's hand. She would have to do most of the work ? it was all Jacen could do to keep his lower body on top of the rail so he could stretch high enough to reach her.

He blinked, a motion behind Jerrica catching his eye; it proved to be the inner door of the vestibule sliding open, exposing another hood holding a blaster rifle by its barrel. By the look of it, he was aiming to pistol-whip her and then break Jacen's other hand with the butt of the rifle. Jacen snapped back his hand, jerking his head forward.

"Jer, look out!" he yelled, taking a weak grip on the coupling with his injured hand. He clenched his teeth tightly as he watched Jerrica try to pivot around, still squatting ? even if she'd had enough room to dodge the blow from the rifle, she couldn't move fast enough to do it. The hood was upon her, raising the rifle over his head, his arms tensing to smash it down upon her skull.

The downswing had barely commenced when somebody else joined the party.

A movement caught the hood's eye from above ? a sudden movement ? and his split-second hesitation did him in. Still on the roof, Sebrona had grabbed onto the trailing edge, swung down into the doorway, and kicked the hood full in the face with both feet, dazing him. As the rifle tumbled from his hands and fell across the back of his head, he crashed heavily against the interior door of the vestibule, knocked senseless before he even crumpled to the deck.

"Let nobody say that you swing like a rusty gate!" Jerrica grinned, twisting around again. Still clinging tightly to the outer doorjamb, she dropped onto one knee, wiggling her fingers as she tried to reach Jacen, who was forcing himself to advance. At the train's current speed, it did him no good to try and use one foot to boost himself. He gave a mighty heave with his left arm, just far enough to land his right elbow on the deck and wrench his arm upward, his hand meeting Jerrica's i

12. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I barely caught my breath. You left it hanging again. When's Jacen going to notice that he's got a broken hand? That's gotta hurt.

13. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Jimminy, how the heck are they going to get out of THIS one?

*smacks stupid train operator*

14. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Yet another cliffie. Then again, I probably should be used to that by now. Let's see, speeding train, no brakes...Sebby, how in Vader's helmet are you going to get them out of this? That is short of jumping from the train (which probably wouldn't be too smart) and leaving Gardulla to her fate. I agree, that operator was an idiot. Did he have no sense of self-preservation?

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

15. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    RebelMom - No worries, plot resolution ahoy...Jacen's hand didn't get broken, BTW. The thug just wrought havoc on his nerve endings a little bit, but even if it *was* broken, he'd probably ignore it. :p

Saché - They're gonna get out of this one by...well, read on! :D Yeah, this is what's wrong with Gran, they all think they're so smart...

Tych - I think he had more of a sense of duty than self-preservation (a feeling that I would certainly understand in real life). I don't think I'm gonna have them do anything so easy as just jumping off the train. ;)

OK, gang, I think that should about do it for the cliffies...well, for this fic anyway... ;)

Anakin froze, staring at the engine's speed indicator, whose reading was decreasing at a perishingly slow rate. Then he looked up, seeing the last curve before the lake shore now coming into view. There was no chance ? at this point, not even a Force tether would slow the train enough for a harmless impact against the ship. For that matter, even if Jaina was able to derail the train on the curve, it would be an awfully close call before plunging over the embankment and taking a dive in Lake Meggis.

Unconsciously clutching the handgrip on the front of the control panel, Anakin reached for the intercom and keyed open. "Jacen, can you hear me?" he called.

Without once taking his eyes from the assemblage of hoods grouped in the middle of the coach, Jacen slowly edged backward to the comm panel at the front end, his blaster remaining levelled. "I'm here," he acknowledged.

"You guys better grab hold of something," Anakin advised. "We're in for an awfully rough ride any second now!"

"Roger that," Jacen answered slowly, his eyes widening slightly in consternation. He and his companions exchanged split-second glances, silently agreeing to what that meant ? there was going to be an unavoidable change of plans, probably mushrooming into a matter of life or limb.

Jaina, however, was not quite so ready to accept it as inevitable. "Uncle Luke," she protested, turning around to face Luke earnestly, "isn't there anything else we can possibly pull off in time?"

"We don't have any left, Jaina," Luke said in a strained tone. "The train's almost here."

"Well, we gotta do something," Sorveli urged. "If we don't lift off, they'll crash into us head-on, and if we do lift off, they go straight into the drink! Either way, we'll never recover friend or enemy!"

Frustrated beyond measure, Jaina threw up her hands and let them fall heavily to the console before her. In her early years, both Luke and Han had told her to be ever vigilant ? sooner or later she would find herself in a no-win situation. She had seen enough of them during the war, in her tenure with Rogue Squadron; but now that it was a time of peace, the last thing she expected was another no-winner. Nonetheless, here she was facing one; and the lives of her own brothers were at stake, no less. Jaina clenched a fist, shooting a pleading stare at Luke from the corner of her eye as the train laid into the curve and hammered within a hundred meters of the Solo Flight.

"Do it," Luke said tightly.

Jaina sighed, her teeth clenching as she reluctantly reached for the weapons console, targeting a spot at the beginning of the curve. The laser blast would almost certainly leave a gap large enough for the train to careen clear off the break in the rail. At the same time, though, Jaina would have to target it at such an angle that the engine wouldn't ram nose first into the crater, causing a pile-up that would surely kill everyone on board. She bit her lip and squinted, aiming carefully at the railhead, and squeezed.

The bolt spurted forth from the Solo Flight's bow and ripped the head of the rail apart, breaking the web and continuing into the ground, leaving an enormous, smoking hole on the right-of-way. That alone, Jaina figured, would hasten the results. She had fired at a 45-degree angle across the head of the rail, tearing a breach of almost eight meters, plenty of room for al

16. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Way to go Luke! :D

Glad everybody survived the wreck.

17. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Boy, Luke's got some nice timing. But then again, what else would you expect from a Jedi Master?

"I've flown the Falcon a few times."

A few? And what about that time that he flew the whole thing by himself, handling the job of three people? I don't think there's any reason Jaina wouldn't trust him.

Nice way to really get through to Gardulla, by the way. Though I am a little surprised she remembers.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

18. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Mwuahahaha. I love righteous indignation. Go Luke! :D

Another painstakingly descriptive edition, my friend. Again, I could picture it all easily. A fantabulous train-wreck; gotta love 'em. lol

And now let's move on to freeing Sebrona's people and wrapping all this up nicely! :)

19. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    RebelMom - Ahaaa, yes, gave me the utmost satisfaction writing Luke and his passive but pointed can of whoop ass!!! [face_devil] :D

Tych - *snicker* That one scene from "The Courtship of Princess Leia" was exactly what I was referring to. :p I'm rather surprised Han has ever let anybody besides Lando fly the Falcon any time...

Saché - Yes, let's! I wish I could've employed that much excruciating detail into the repost of WIC. :p Anyway, this is the first big wrap-up scene - enjoy! :D

So far, so good, Sebolla thought to himself. He looked around the work site, nodding to himself in satisfaction at the sight of the considerable crowd standing in front of the platform. Upon it stood Arks Piroe, Al-Rees Chool, and several of their staff; Piroe was currently standing at the podium, spouting blather and prattle to ring all ears. Sebolla found himself snorting at least once every minute at some bantha-slag remark the quacky delegate had made. After he got what was coming to him in front of a crowd this big, they wouldn't be able to help inclining an ear to the grievances of the Dug race.

Craving inconspicuity, Sebolla was attending with only three other Dugs, two of whom were begrudgingly serving Piroe's every whim at the rear of the stage. On the ground and to one side, Sebolla and one of his new neighbours, Dushag, were standing in silence, awaiting the alert to make their move. When the announcement was made, the two Dugs on the platform, Ixnax and Sebuga, would come forth manhandling a drilling laser that would break the first ground for the embassy. It was then that Piroe's little scheme would go awry.

Already Ixnax had sabotaged the laser's mountings to send it toppling free of its rig. Once ready, he and Sebuga would undo the mountings and detach the laser completely, thus distracting the two Gran. Then it would be Sebolla and Dushag's turn; they were standing just a few meters away from a spiny, well-muscled, and viciously carnivorous vine that they had rooted underneath the platform after it was erected. The multi-limbed vine was currently dormant, but one shock from Dushag's tazer would both awaken and enrage it ? and it would be agreeably hungry. Ixnax and Sebuga would have only moments to leap clear of the platform before the vengeful vine could smash upward through it, grabbing any living thing within reach. The distraction ought to last long enough for the vine to snatch up the two Gran, puncture their flesh with its spines, and suck their veins dry.

Best of all, Sebolla thought to himself with grim satisfaction, there was no sign of the Jedi. For all practical purposes, interference would be nonexistent. He stared up at the podium again, refocusing his attention on utterances that made him wince.

"I vividly remember when the Empire declined and fell, and this system was liberated by Rebel forces," Arks Piroe's voice arced loudly across the site. "I can still remember the inspiration that Mon Mothma spouted, bestowing upon us the hope of equal freedoms?"

"What a crock," Sebolla muttered cynically to Dushag, who was standing restlessly next to him. "This guy wouldn't understand equal freedom if he fell over it."

"No kidding," Dushag mumbled back. "Ixnax said he was half tempted to chop off that dweeb's hand when he brings the laser forward."

"Well, that'll be too premature," Sebolla determined. "He knows what to do and so do you. Ready?"

Dushag grinned maliciously, lifting the skirting on the side of the platform. Together he and Sebolla peered under it, eyeing the docile but bloodthirsty plant nestling in its spot beneath the platform. "One electric shock and those two will know what it's like to get the blood squeezed out of 'em," he muttered. "Our turn, man. Our turn for every Dug everywhere."

"And then some," Sebolla nodded sharply. "You didn't see my dumbass brother around here anywhere, did you?"

"Haven't seen him, haven't seen his lackeys. I think we're in business."

"All right. Let's do it."

As they turned their heads to wait for the signal from their t

20. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Wow, you're almost done? Nice wrap up.

21. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    *applause*

Whoo-hoo! Gotta love wrap-up! I'm fond of the (several) title plugs and how strong Kam's admiration of Sebrona came across. Go Sebrona! You have fought the good fight and won :)

Looking forward to more wrap-up. ;)

22. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Great post, Sebby. First, we get a little planned terrorism, then watch it all fall apart when the Jedi show up to starighten things out. I loved the remerk about Jacen and punching some noses out of joint. Hey, it might even have done the goats some good.

Wonderful scene there with Kam showing up. I think he picked just the right time to step out of the crowd. I can also see him pulling the whole intimidation act. As with Nick and Mace in Shatterpoint, these Gran don't know what stubborn looks like before meeting with some Jedi.

Sebrona's got his hands full, for sure. But given time, I think a compromise will be reached, even if it does take a little good, old-fashioned, butt-whipping.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

23. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    RebelMom - I know, it seems like I've been working on this thing forever...can you imagine how good it feels to be almost through with it and on to the next thing??

Saché - Wunderbar, glad you liked it. :D Heh, I took extra special care to include numerous title references in this one - did you notice Jacen echoing Qui-Gon in one of them? ;) And while I'm thinking of it, do you recall what actor I had in mind for Kam's role?

Tych - Sounds like I need to check out "Shatterpoint", no? Thanks for your remarks about Kam's appearance; for some time I thought it might be a little extraneous, but it's good to know that it was a good move. :D

OK, I realise this post is kinda long - but since I probably won't be anywhere near my computer for the next two weeks, I'm going to try and get this story finished by Sunday night. :D Get comfy!

Jaina was immensely relieved when Luke and Sorveli returned from Garrath, and it wasn't just because they had safely returned the Solo Flight intact. Their return, along with the jocular sensation she was receiving from Luke, radiated only one thing ? Gardulla had given them no further reason for drastic action. She was safely out of the galaxy's hair; Jaina trusted Sorveli implicitly to see to that much. She stood clear of the landing site as the ship cleanly lit on the ground, a testament to a piloting proficiency in her uncle that hadn't waned in almost thirty years. Evidently, her slight concern hadn't escaped Luke, as she was quick to find out when the gangplank dropped from the ship's hull.

"No sweat, Jaina," Luke said, half-grinning as he and Sorveli descended the gangplank. "We even made sure to keep Gardulla's grubby mitts off of everything within reach."

"Much obliged, Uncle Luke," Jaina grinned back. "Got everything worked out, I hope?"

"Gardulla won't be giving the galaxy any more trouble in our lifetime," Luke nodded.

"Yeah, especially not with that little Skywalker family portrait I hung just out of reach on her cell wall," Sorveli added with a devious smirk.

"And we were all smiles, too ? even Mara," Luke said jovially. Turning to Sorveli, he clapped him on the shoulder. "Well, Ray, once again it's been a pleasure. I don't envy the debriefing you'll have to go through, but this is one gamble I'm glad we took."

"Well, there's one more roll, and this one's the diciest of all," Sorveli said, grimness seeping into his tone. "It's on the inside."

"That's right," Jaina recalled, her words coming forth with a long, apprehensive breath. "You were warned off the case, weren't you? Do you think there was a sideshow back on Coruscant?"

"That's what I'm afraid of. Won't find out until I get back there."

"Well, in the meantime," Luke said, nodding toward the stage, "let's bask in this victory while we can. Rebuilding could take years, but it's starting right now. In fact, I think it's starting right before our eyes." Sorveli and Jaina followed his gaze, their hearts lightening as they observed the Dug brothers standing easy in front of the stage, having their first civilised conversation since the Jedi arrived on Malastare.

"Now that I think about it, probably a good thing you broke it up when you did," Sebolla was saying. "No telling what would've happened afterward. At least this way we get to add insult to injury, watching them give up the rest of their smug little pals to the Senate."

"Nice to see you're thinking again, bro," Sebrona said with a half-smirk.

"Ha ha," Sebolla said sarcastically. "Couldn't relieve Mom and Dad of their other son, could I?" He shifted his hands, glancing away for a brief moment. "You know, Elakie dropped by before we set out on this. She said that whenever you head back to Yavin Four, if you'll let her come with, she'd love nothing better. Unless you're planning on staying put?"

"Someday I'll be back here for good," Sebrona said, cocking his head matter-of-factly. "But for now, she's more than welcome. Something awfully big is about to happen there as well as here."

"It's going to be pretty

24. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Ray sure knows how to make friends in the police department ;) Corrupt senators and Hutt crime bosses just love him too. enough sarcasm. I've really enjoyed this story. Looking forward for the final roundup. :)

25. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    I, too, really like the way Ray has developed during this story - it's sort of opened up a whole new hallway that I can explore with his character in the future. Not to mention his tangles with the aforementioned corrupt senators. [face_devil]

*takes a deep breath* Well....this is it.

So much change. So much shock and transformation. So much destruction and reconstruction...

So much life and death.

Changes in life, changes in society, changes in personnel and rankings - if any change could be given a proper name, it had happened. In the space of a few short hours, Malastare had become an altered world with a population transforming in surges. The one thing that was even less believable was that she'd been there, seen it with her own eyes; indeed, had had a hand in bringing it to pass. To top it all off, that had been less than a day before she learned an astonishing secret about her past, one that had forever converted her personal life. She had gone through a half-dozen surging shifts in a mere two days, whether by her actions or the lessons she'd learned, hard or soft. More had happened in the last week than was conceivable to the average human mind, but Jerrica Sulvecto wasn't one to allow?

Enough of that, she told herself abruptly. That's not your name anymore. You're Jerrica Sunrider now. You're a new person, you're leaving the old you behind. You're starting out fresh? She paused in her thoughts, wrestling with herself briefly before allowing herself to think, You're not the stone-cold killer that you used to be.

Sitting on a huge, cubical boulder on the riverbank, she couldn't hear his footsteps over the rush of the water, but she could sense his approach. She heaved a heavy sigh, resting her chin on the heel of one hand as she stared into the lush, glittering water. She didn't want to talk about it, but had the odd feeling that she didn't have a choice. The only thing worse than this would be one of those father-daughter-now-we're-going-to-talk-about-troublemaking-boys-and-don't-think-that-you're-going-to-get-away-from-it talks, and even though she knew it would be no such thing, Jerrica couldn't make up her mind which was worse. If she was truly the descendant of one of history's greatest Jedi Knights, she couldn't imagine how badly she had soiled the family line by doing what she'd done.

"How's it going?" Jacen asked, leaning on the rock beside her.

"It's going," Jerrica shrugged. "Just taking a little time to unwind from this week. Hard to believe that so much has changed because of us."

"And I suppose that's why you've been tight-lipped and brooding ever since we lifted off from Malastare," Jacen said, waxing suspicious.

Jerrica closed her eyes, letting go another sigh. She should have known he wasn't going to leave this alone. She had pretended to herself that he might be understanding of her need for solitude and personal time, but she was in a very sore emotional state and Jacen would be nigh impossible to shake off. He'd proved that much since Baroonda.

"Well, why don't you tell me?" she said earnestly. "How did you feel when you killed somebody for the first time? Do you even remember doing it, is it still eating you up to this day?"

"I can remember, because it wasn't all that long ago," Jacen said, seating himself on the rock beside her. "As a matter of fact, it wasn't long ago for you either. Remember Baroonda? You used my weapon, but it was you who gunned down old man Kuzo."

Jerrica almost groaned aloud as she realised that Jacen was right. That was barely over a month ago, but the man she had killed on Gardulla the Hutt's train yesterday had not been the first. Or the second, or the third. She shuddered, allowing the gates to break, allowing her mind to review every life she'd taken in the month since she commenced training as a Jedi. Even most Corellian street fighters her age could only count their kills on one hand ? but she could count hers on two. It wasn't until yesterday, when she had slashed that lightsaber deep enough into the