main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The New Empire

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Arisin, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Arisin

Darth_Arisin Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    Hello, all. I have written a fanfic called the New Empire that I would love to share with you all. It is an Alternate Universe story beginning just before the Battle of Endor and chronicles the fall of the Rebel Alliance, the rise of a New Empire and Luke's journey to the Dark Side. The story is told from several points of view, from Vader to Luke to the Emperor. A sequel is in the works but won't be finished for some time. If anyone would be interested in reading my story, feel free to e-mail me at bobafett365@aol.com. It's too long to post, but I will post snippets. Any criticism is welcome and all input is appreciated.

?All craft prepare to go into hyperspace on my mark!? cried the Mon Calamari Admiral Ackbar. His mouth tendrils were squirming with anxiety. The tense atmosphere aboard the Rebel command ship Home One was almost tangible. The Rebel Alliance was preparing to launch their final offensive against the Empire.

The Empire?s newest technological terror, a second, even larger Death Star, was being secretly constructed in orbit over the Forest Moon of Endor. This Death Star was many times larger than the original. The planet-killing superlaser now took only minutes to recharge, compared to the entire day that it took the first model. The terminal flaw which ended the life of the first Death Star over Yavin, the thermal exhaust ports, had been redesigned to only a millimeter in diameter and spread over the entire station in millions of locations. This new Death Star was all but invincible. At over 900 kilometers in diameter, it would take a fleet of capital ships tens of thousands strong to put even a dent its vast, city-like surface.

Along with the second Death Star?s location, the Rebels had also learned that Emperor Palpatine was personally overseeing the final stages of construction. This would be their last and only chance to destroy the Empire once and for all. Whatever happened, this would be their last battle.

As the fleet emerged from hyperspace, Admiral Ackbar knew something had gone terribly wrong.

As Vader went marching off in search of his prey, Palpatine chuckled, ?Good, good! Your journey is almost complete, my young apprentice. Release your hatred. Lash out with your anger. Perhaps I was wrong about you, eh? Perhaps you are not the one I seek. Perhaps?.?

?Sister,? said Vader, as if reading the Emperor?s thoughts. ?If you will not be turned, then perhaps she will.?

?Never!? Vader?s taunting words had caused Luke to reveal himself. He attacked Vader with a ferocity that astonished even the Emperor. Luke?s saber bashed against Vader?s again and again. The two danced this way across the room to a giant ventilation shaft which stretched downward for kilometers. Vader tripped on a step and was pinned against the railing. With each blow, Vader?s right arm was forced farther out over the chasm. Again and again Luke beat his father?s saber with his own. With a final slash, Luke sliced through Vader?s wrist, leaving a sparking stump of fused and smoking wires and tubes.

Luke halted his attack. He held up his own mechanical right hand, suddenly becoming his father. He clenched his fingers into a fist, his leather glove squealing. He returned his gaze to Vader. He was furious. Furious at his father for being so weak, furious at the Emperor for provoking them. The anger grew in him like a rancor emerging from a dark cave, finally showing itself to the world.

?Finish him,? commanded the Emperor. ?Kill him. Take your father?s place by my side. Release your anger!? Excitement was apparent in his voice. He was succeeding. ?Focus your feelings. Destroy your target! A Sith does not leave its quarry alive.?

?No! I am Jedi!? yelled Luke. Blue energy arced between his fingers. Electricity crackled and ozone burned as the devastating Force lightning leapt from Luke?s outstretched left hand and into the body of his father.

He stood next to his new apprentice and fixed his gaze on the green orb hanging before them, some eight hundred thousand kilometers away. They

2. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    You could post it all if you wanted to... there are plenty of really long fanfics on the boards. Each post would be best if it was shorter, and you can post one every few days or once a week or something until it's all up. :)

3. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    Oh, I agree with AlisonC, the story sounds really interesting, and I'd recommend posting 5-10 pages every few days. This way the readers are happy, and so are you because you'll get lots of reviews and comments. Another good reason is that if you don't say you are going to post or start posting a Mod might lock the thread because this is borders on advertising. :)

4. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    Alright, I'll do that then. Keep in mind, the first movement of the story was written over a year ago and my writing style changed, naturally, and it may come off as a little awkward.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

The New Empire

?All craft prepare to go into hyperspace on my mark!? cried the Mon Calamari Admiral Ackbar. His mouth tendrils were squirming with anxiety. The tense atmosphere aboard the Rebel command ship Home One was almost tangible. The Rebel Alliance was preparing to launch their final offensive against the Empire.

The Empire?s newest technological terror, a second, even larger Death Star, was being secretly constructed in orbit over the Forest Moon of Endor. This Death Star was many times larger than the original. The planet-killing superlaser now took only minutes to recharge, compared to the entire day that it took the first model. The terminal flaw which ended the life of the first Death Star over Yavin, the thermal exhaust ports, had been redesigned to only a millimeter in diameter and spread over the entire station in millions of locations. This new Death Star was all but invincible. At over 900 kilometers in diameter, it would take a fleet of capital ships tens of thousands strong to put even a dent its vast, city-like surface.

Along with the second Death Star?s location, the Rebels had also learned that Emperor Palpatine was personally overseeing the final stages of construction. This would be their last and only chance to destroy the Empire once and for all. Whatever happens, this would be their last battle.

As the fleet emerged from hyperspace, Admiral Ackbar knew something had gone terribly wrong.

Earlier, aboard Death Star II?

He would continue kneeling with ebony gaze directed at the floor until his master acknowledged him. His discipline had allowed him to wait for hours in this position. His master had always taught him patience. The Emperor stood with his back turned, staring off into the void of space, deep in meditation. His distorted image was reflected in the black hole eyes of a plasteel helmet.

Through the Force, Palpatine could see the future, the outcome of battles. Even at this moment, Vader knew he was having a premonition.

?You may rise, my friend.? Palpatine turned to face him. ?We are soon to have company. I foresaw a hodgepodge Rebel force to be joining us. I saw a smaller force penetrating the deflector shield and making its way to the surface of the Sanctuary Moon. They mean to destroy the shield generator. You will send a detachment down to intercept them. I also foresee that young Skywalker will join us.

?These next hours are critical, Lord Vader.? He sat down. ?You must not question my orders. We will finally crush this pitiful ?rebellion,? my friend. Order will once again reign over the galaxy.? As he spoke, Vader said nothing. The only other noise was the rhythmic sound of Vader?s breathing apparatus. Palpatine sat on his throne atop his tower aboard his Death Star and he knew Vader planned to betray him. It was the way of the Sith. There comes a time when a showdown between Master and Apprentice must take place. Palpatine, however, did not intend to be overthrown just yet. Were a confrontation to erupt, and one would, Palpatine would be the victor.

I have taught him well, he thought. Nevertheless, I still posses more knowledge than he can dream of. Once I have Skywalker, he thought pleasingly to himself, Vader will be?let go. He knew that he would have to be on guard at all times during Skywalker?s transition to the Dark Side. This will be when Vader strikes; the moment he knew Skywalker?s journey was complete. Palpatine would need to be prepared to eliminate his apprentice the instant he saw this happen. Perhaps he would have Skywalker kill him?.

?The insurrection has continued too long, Master. We will triumph.? You will not live to see the end, old man. ?The Rebellion grows weak. Defeating it will not be difficult.? He was anticipating the coming conflict.

5. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    I'm glad you decided to post it here, I wish you luck and hope you get many reviews and responses!

I already like where this is going and I look forward to reading more.

I like how you played the Emperor off against Darth Vader, it should make for an interesting dynamic later on.

And welcome to Fan Fiction!

6. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    Night on the Forest Moon was full of sound. Off in the distance, Vader heard a strangled cry get abruptly cut off. Much closer, he saw a large, dragon-like creature flying low over the trees. A moment later, a clawed hand shot out of the leaves and grabbed the flying reptile, dragging it down into the canopy to its death with a short squawk of protest. There?s always a bigger animal, thought Vader. Where had he heard that?

The forest stretched for kilometers in all directions, broken only by the massive shield generator dish five kilometers away. Flora had closed around the compound. The larger of the moons cast a green-tinged light, while the other, significantly smaller, cast a surprisingly bright blue. The shadows themselves seemed to come alive as wind brushed by the trees. His mechanically enhanced vision picked up several sets of shining eyes peering out from the forest.

He was standing at the railed edge of the enormous landing pad that thrust up twenty-five meters from the forest floor. The lights on the pad shone brightly and the animals of the forest knew to stay away. Vader looked down and could see the carcasses of several large creatures, likely shot by soldiers and placed to deter any further encroachment by other animals.

He could feel Luke?s presence nearby. He could feel that he was alright. Luke was frightened but tried to hide it. Vader could also feel a deep sadness in Luke. He knew it would not be long before he would see him again. The thought brought a faint smile to his disfigured and helmed face. Then we can destroy the Emperor and rule as father and son?!

?Lord Vader?? a young lieutenant?s voice broke Vader?s concentration.

?Yes, Commander?? he said, not bothering to hide his annoyance at being disturbed. He toyed with the idea of killing him but decided against it. It was a pointless waste of a loyal Imperial officer. There seemed to be fewer and fewer these days. ?Mind you, I do not like being disturbed for trivial matters. This had better be good,? Vader threatened the man. He raised his fist in a threatening gesture and the man, knowing Vader?s reputation, instinctively put a hand to his throat.

?My Lord,? he said, making a conscious effort to ignore Vader?s clutched fist and lowering his hand. ?A Rebel has surrendered to us. Lieutenant Kavil is bringing him as we speak, sir. They should be here in moments.? Vader put his hand down and turned his head slightly. Off in the distance, he could hear the heavy footfalls of the advancing AT-AT.

?Thank you, Commander. I will meet them when they arrive. You may return to your post.?

?Right away, sir.? He gave a short bow and walked swiftly away. Vader noticed the relief on the man?s face when he was dismissed. His gnarled lips parted in a grin. He still enjoyed bringing fear to those weaker than he. The Sith had learned millennia ago that intimidation was the best form of negotiation.

Vader turned back to the night and gave a sigh. The time is come when we shall meet our destinies, he thought to himself, remembering the old saying. He gave one last glance over the forest and walked to the nearest lift.

He could hear the AT-AT?s whining hydraulics as it made its final preparations before docking. As the walker was docking to the platform, Vader instructed several stormtroopers to follow him down to meet the passengers. Vader and his entourage were greeted by Lieutenant Kavil, who was trailed by Skywalker and three stormtroopers. Luke looked very solemn, completely dressed in black. His hands were in shackles. He looked directly into Vader?s eyes, somehow bypassing the plasteel lenses.

?This is the Rebel that surrendered to us,? said Kavil. ?Although he denies it, I believe there may be more of them and I request permission to conduct a further search of the area. He was armed only with this.? He produced a cylindrical object and placed it in Vader?s large, gloved hand.

?Good work, Lieutenant. Leave us. Conduct your search and bring his companions to me.?

?Yes, Milord.? Kavil gave a curt nod and retur

7. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    As he said those words, a feeling of great power came over him. He could feel the Dark Side coursing through his very veins, spreading throughout his entire body. As he rose from his knees, Luke looked back at his father, still helpless on the floor, struggling to rise. Pitiful. He stared at the weak man, studying every line, every scar, hating him more with each passing heartbeat. A sneer formed on his face. His eyes narrowed and flashed with a dark glint.

?You were right, Father. I didn?t know the power of the Dark Side. It is as though the entire universe bows down to me, relinquishing its power to serve me. I feel all matter bending to my will; the elements are at my fingertips!?

Luke brought his hands together with only centimeters separating them. The air between at that instant began to opaque and faintly glow. The light became brighter, glowing white-hot. A faint gray mist formed around Luke, its mass being pulled into this miniature black hole hovering in his hands.

The mist continued to swirl around him, ultimately finding its way to the white-hot void which Luke had conjured. Luke?s brow glistened with sweat and his face scrunched in concentration. The Emperor looked on in awe. His apprentice was surpassing his wildest expectations.

Finally something began to take shape in the hot mass floating in the air. It writhed and bulged. Luke was molding it with the Force, compressing it with thousands of kilograms of pressure. There were loud cracks as super-heated and super-compressed air cooled and contracted, leaving a vacuum to be filled with a rush of atmosphere. The sweat was pouring down Luke?s face; his collar was drenched.

The light fluctuated from yellow to white to red. The form was taking on a definite shape. The gray mist had subsided now, leaving a faint dust on Luke?s black clothing and in his hair.

The Emperor grinned with delight. The descendant of the Chosen One. He has already surpassed all of my previous pupils. With him, there is no limit to my power! He was impressed with this display of power. He did not know what Luke had in store, but he knew it would be nothing short of spectacular. He also knew it would be the end of Vader.

The shape began to crystallize now. Luke used the Force to flash freeze the form, slowing down the air molecules surrounding him, all the while continuing the enormous pressure. Frost formed on his collar and hair. His skin reddened as the temperature continued to drop.

Luke finally presented his creation to his father. It looked to be a statuette, a small bust, in fact. A bust of a woman. The dim light shone through the bust like a prism, reflecting every color in the visual spectrum. It was quite beautiful. As Luke brought it closer, a horrified look of recognition crossed Vader?s face.

The bust was of Padmé, Luke?s mother.

The Emperor knew at once what this was. This fifteen-centimeter statue was a pure, flaw-less diamond. The gray cloud had been carbon atoms from the air. Luke had compressed them and heated them with such power that they formed this gem. Palpatine walked towards the figure, still floating in mid-air. As he examined it closely, he could see that every minute detail had been taken into account. She was just as Luke saw her in his vision.

Luke was the first to speak, his voice slightly weak from the massive effort he had just undergone. ?She was beautiful, wasn?t she, Father?? He rotated the figure, allowing him to see it from all angles. ?And you killed her.?

The man who was Darth Vader began to weep softly. ?Yes!? he wheezed. ?I loved her more than anything in this galaxy!? His voice was hoarse. He was gasping for breath, trying to fill his burned lungs. ?I?only meant?to frighten her. She?she was never supposed to die!? He choked out. His labored breath made him sound all the more pathetic to Luke.

Anakin now began to cough violently. Small flecks of blood flew from his lips, spraying the air with every hack. Luke, four meters away, walked towards him, as though to help. Instead, he held his hand towards th

8. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    The lift had stopped. The door slid open and Luke went to step out. He was stopped by one of the Emperor?s bony hands on his arm. ?Weakness,? he said with grave seriousness, ?is death.?

Luke nodded and followed his master into the corridor, his hands clasped behind his back. He reached out with the Force and felt Leia nearby. He felt that she was in a state of shock. Luke guessed that she had been informed of the Rebellion?s failure and Endor?s destruction. He also noticed a Dark spot; a pit of pure Rage growing deep within her. Perhaps he would help the Emperor turn her after all.

She was most important. Luke knew there were secrets locked in her head that fewer than a handful of beings in the galaxy knew. She would need to be turned or destroyed. She was too dangerous to the Empire. Turning her would be much more convenient, thought Luke.

?Tell me more of the Chosen One, Master. Was my father truly the One? How is it that you turned such a powerful Jedi??

?Your father was, what the Jedi called the Chosen One. They said that he was the most powerful being within the Force that would ever be born into this galaxy. I believe he was, yes. He was conceived by the Force; he had no father. He was discovered too old for the Jedi, almost ten standard years old.? The Emperor looked at him as they walked. ?I understand you had somewhat the same trouble with the Jedi. Too old for the training. Anakin, however, had the support of an exceedingly stubborn and arrogant Jedi Knight by the name of Jinn. Qui-Gon Jinn, the master of your Obi-Wan.? They entered another lift, Palpatine punching in a pass code. The lift descended further down into the center of the station.

?Your father was rescued by the two Jedi and brought to Coruscant. It was there that I first met him and felt his great power. Before I could approach him, the Jedi took him on a mission. My apprentice at the time was killed during the mission, but not before mortally wounding the Jedi Qui-Gon. Upon Jinn?s death, he made Obi-Wan promise to train your father, with or without the Jedi Council?s approval.? They exited the turbolift and headed down a long hallway.

?How do you know this, Master??

The Emperor chuckled lightly. ?I did not witness the events, if that?s what you?re inquiring. I attended the Jedi?s funeral. I heard the entire account from the Council itself. I had maneuvered my game pieces exactly where I wanted them; I had been elected Supreme Chancellor of the Republic, I had the full support of the Jedi, and I had set in motion events which led to my rise to ultimate power. What I had not anticipated was Anakin Skywalker. For ten years I watched his career. I advised him, gained his trust. I imagined the Chosen One, savior of the Jedi, becoming my Sith Apprentice. The irony!? He laughed again, that dry cackle. ?He was easy to turn. After his mother died, he slaughtered the entire encampment of Tuskens who killed her. I felt the rage from the capitol.?

?Tuskens? My father was from Tatooine??

?Yes. He was angry, frustrated, full of rage. It took very little effort on my part to show him the true path. He had eventually found it on his own. I promised him power beyond anything the Jedi would allow. He accepted quite willingly. After the incident which left him dependant on his suit, he became all the more angry. The moment he awoke as Vader, he was mine.?

The two rounded a corner and stopped in front of a door simply labeled T1-HX138. A small keypad protruded from the wall next to the door. A small view screen just above it showed a view of the inside. As Palpatine entered the proper clearance codes, Luke sent tendrils of the Force through the door, analyzing its contents, probing the minds present. Han was there.

He could feel Han?s presence. He was weak. The energy-tapping torture had left him near death. Interrogation would not be difficult. Luke could feel Han?s mental walls collapsing. He would answer any questions now. His former friends knew nothing of his recent ascension. They would still trust him. The door slid open, re

9. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    ?What will become of her, Master?? inquired Luke. He knew Leia held great potential and he didn?t wish to see it wasted. His master stopped walking and turned to speak.

?She will remain here, for now. I believe, in time, she will turn of her own accord. She has lost everyone and everything dear to her. The Dark Side offers her the only solution to her problems. Were she to turn, she could again have her brother. Imagine, with the offspring of the Chosen One, order will again be brought to this chaotic galaxy. Authority will be restored and those who would create a disturbance in my Empire will be punished.? The Emperor turned and began walking again. ?Come, we shall procure you sleeping quarters. Your father?s, perhaps? We shall be leaving in a matter of hours on a mission of great importance. You will need your strength.?

After a short trip through a series of hallways, they came across a command station. The station crew, startled to see His Majesty himself, fumbled up to attention. ?Y-your Highness,? said the commander in a shaky voice. ?We did not realize you would be down here. Please accept our humble apologies for not being at attention.?

?You should be prepared at all times, Commander, for anything that may occur on your shift.? The Emperor spoke coolly and dangerously. All color drained from the commander?s face. ?However, I am here to see that Skywalker here is given quarters. Give him clearance to all levels of this station and the command codes for Lord Vader?s personal chambers.?

?But, Your Highness, will Lord Vader not be needing his chambers?? The man was obviously very confused.

It was Luke who spoke this time. ?Lord Vader will not be needing his quarters as he no longer exists. Now, I require the codes and I require them immediately.? The commander looked from Luke to the Emperor, who grinned widely. He then nodded back to the crew. Within minutes, Luke was walking to his new chambers, a flimsiplast map and code sheet in his hands. The Emperor had returned to his throne to meditate until their journey. He told Luke that he would be sent for at 1300 hours, giving him four hours to rest. Luke still didn?t know what this journey was, only that the Emperor had said it was of great importance. For now, though, Luke would sleep. He found his quarters, which turned out to be quite spacious. Vader?s room was bare save for an enormous hyperbaric chamber, which took up a large portion of the space, and a cot nestled in a far corner. Luke guessed the open space was used for lightsaber practice. Maybe he too would take advantage of the open area. Luke walked over to the cot and unclipped his lightsaber. Then, he laid down and was asleep almost instantly. He did not dream.

Since Embracing the Dark Side, Luke?s Force powers had been greatly enhanced. He woke seconds before the chime at the door. He sat up, remembering where he was. I?m on the Death Star. Vader is dead. Dead. Han, Chewie. His mind raced. Leia. Today is an important day, he remembered. ?Enter,? he said, still slightly groggy.

A thin middle-aged man with slightly sagging cheeks stepped through the door. He wore the insignia of Fleet Admiral. ?Sir,? he said with a Coruscanti accent. ?I am Admiral Piett. I am at your disposal should you need anything, sir. The Emperor sends for your presence. He says that you are to meet him in shuttle bay SB-0793 immediately.?

?Thank you, Admiral. That is all.?

?Sir.? Admiral Piett turned on his heel and strode out of the room.

Luke turned and found his lightsaber, hung it back on his left hip. He rubbed the last bit of sleep from his face and walked through the still open doors. He consulted one of the many convenient view screen maps located around the station and looked up the shuttle bay. He instantly memorized the route and hurried off to meet his master.

Luke had to maneuver around the shards of the now broken Endor moon before he could enter hyperspace. Though the moon no longer existed, it?s gravity well did. Entering hyperspace in a gravity well could severely damage the hyperdri

10. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    Master? Luke called to him through the Force. Master, where are you?

He got no reply. Something inside was telling him to continue towards the mountains and that all his questions would be answered there.

He pulled his robes tightly around him one last time and set off on his journey. As he trod along, he felt as though he were connecting to the planet. He knew every rock, every shrub around him. He felt the air currents changing far above. He sensed a predatory insect on the prowl somewhere close by. Everything felt like an extension of his own body. It was the planet. Korriban had a aura unlike anything Luke had ever felt. He wondered if that was why the great Sith Masters had chosen this as the eternal resting place for the most powerful beings in the galaxy. It was like something about this world naturally amplified his already strong Force sensitivity. He decided to conduct an experiment as he walked.

He tapped into the Force, using just enough power to create a small plume of dust. Were he on any other world, it would have been but a small plume. On Korriban, however, his enhanced Force lifted a quickly rising column of swirling dust two hundred meters in the air. Luke again used the Force, this time in an attempt to clear away the dust. His gentle breeze manifested itself as a gale-force wind, which tore at his robes and pelted him with dirt and small rocks. He immediately disengaged his use of the Force. The wind stopped. Dust hung thick in the air around him, obscuring his way. Until he calibrated his internal Force control for this planet, he would need to be wary when attempting telekinesis. He could stir up a dust cloud capable of enveloping the entire region of the planet if he wasn?t careful.

Luke reached the mountains easily, taking only a quarter of an hour. The rocky terrain, however, was somewhat more difficult to navigate. The sun?s position told him that darkness would soon fall. He was nowhere near his destination and would need to find an appropriate place to camp. After ten minutes of searching, Luke found a cave that offered a suitable shelter for the night. He settled down an hour before the sun fell quickly below the far off horizon. Growing up in a desert, Luke knew that on worlds such as this, when the sun fell, so did the temperature. To keep warm, Luke formed a sort of heat ball by accelerating the air molecules before him. After his initial experimentation, he felt confident he could control his enhanced Force powers. Thanks to the amplification, he could maintain the ball of heat indefinitely, even during sleep.

He was awakened by a deafening crash. At first, he thought he was experiencing aerial bombardment. He put his hand to the smooth cave wall. There was another crash, but Luke felt only minimal vibration. Were it a turbolaser blast, the shock wave would have been felt for kilometers. He got up and walked through the cave toward the entrance, using the Force to boost his vision in the dark tunnel. As he neared the entrance to the cave, he felt the hair on the back of his neck stand on end. Flashes lit up the inside of the cave. Luke looked out at the sky. It was alive with the discharge of a violent electrical storm. He stepped outside the cave and stood observing this fantastic display of nature?s fury. He didn?t believe he was in any danger. The storm would soon pass.

After an hour of watching the natural light show, Luke decided to try something. He lowered his hood and raised his hands to the sky. He drew upon the Force, tapping into not only himself, but the planet as well. He wasn?t entirely sure what he was doing, but somehow he knew it would work. He closed his eyes and saw the forks of electrical energy bending to his will. He opened his eyes, reaching up to manipulate the lightning. He commanded it to strike a large boulder which sat several meters away. Bolts of electricity altered their paths to hit the giant rock. Bolt after bolt pounded it into slag. Luke released his hold. One final strike hit next to him, blowing him off his feet and leaving a gl

11. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    That breath. It terrified her and infuriated her. And it was drawing nearer. The darkness surrounded her, blinding her to the threat which crept steadily towards her. They played this hunter/prey game beneath the Emperor?s observation platform aboard the second Death Star. She couldn?t remember how she got there, only that she needed to get out, somehow. The breath was all around her, closing in on her. She only knew that she had to keep moving.

?Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends.? The deep, inhuman voice sounded right beside her. It startled her.

?No. You?re lying,? she whispered. She stopped beside one of the platform?s support legs. She heard the Emperor chuckle from somewhere up above. That was her cue to begin moving again. She didn?t want to risk staying in one place for too long. Her eyes searched the darkness for any sign of her stalker. That rhythmic breath came from the right, so she turned left, stumbling over a raised section of the floor. She landed hard on her knees, drawing in a sharp breath of pain through her clenched teeth.

All she could see were bright flashes all around her, eventually subsiding as the pain slowly dulled. Forcing herself to her feet, she continued to evade the monster which pursued her.

?Do not be a fool! If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed. Your power is strong.? Suddenly, a crimson blade ignited centimeters from her face. She rolled to the floor and ran back the way she came. The last thing she saw before turning back to the darkness was the glow of the blade reflected in two black, plasteel eyes. They were looking directly at her. The blade deactivated and everything once again was black. Heavy footfalls followed her.

?You will be turned. It is your destiny. You need only to realize your importance. At the Emperor?s side, there is nothing you cannot accomplish.?

?No!? she yelled, her words echoing, fading into the black. ?I?ll never join you!? She knew this had to end. He was toying with her. Sooner or later, he would catch up. She was done running. No more games. She would face him in the light, on her terms.

She ran for the edge of the platform, toward the dimly lit room. As she sprinted for the light, she realized she had no idea what she was going to do once she opened herself up for attack. Now behind the platform?s enormous staircase, light streaked through the steps in slanted beams.

She took a deep breath and stepped into the light.

?I?m here!? she yelled. ?But you?ll never get me to turn.?

?Ah, but you will,? said an old man?s voice. She snapped her head up to this new voice and found herself gazing into the yellow eyes of the Emperor, who sat upon his throne, watching the drama unfolding before him. ?It is the only way to be with your brother.?

?Yes,? said the deep voice, still lingering in the shadows. ?He realized his potential. He has joined us.?

?No,? she said, turning to face the voice. ?Luke would never turn. You?re lying!? she yelled into the darkness.

The red blade ignited again, revealing the predator?s location. It stepped into the light, out of the shadows. ?Am I?? The figure that had been tracking her was her brother, Luke.

?Luke!? Oh, no, Luke!? She dropped to her knees, fresh pain flaring up, but she ignored it. She put her head in her hands and began to sob.

Leia?s eyes flashed open. She jolted upright on her cell?s hard cot. The nightmares were getting worse; more real. Her eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness of her room. It took her a moment to remember where she was. The Death Star. She wondered what time it was. Not that it mattered. Time had had little meaning to her since watching Luke kill Han. She couldn?t believe it was the same man she?d known for four years, her brother. He had turned down the path of the Dark Side.

He had told her something not long ago, a quote he?d picked up after Hoth. How did it go? ?If once you start down the Dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.? She always laughed at the odd structure of that little bit

12. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    Arisin made his way to where the Emperor sat.

?Please, Master. Tell me more of my father.? Arisin spoke as though he were a child requesting a bedtime story. ?I wish to know where I?m from, to learn from his mistakes.?

?You are very wise, my Apprentice. Few have the opportunity to learn their mistakes before they make them. I will tell you of your father.? The Emperor smiled. This one would serve him well. Only once before had he an apprentice so devoted to him: Lord Maul. Such a pity.

?The story of your father begins forty years ago. I was a senator of the Republic. One of the many planets I represented was Naboo, a small planet ruled by a child queen; your mother. She was a most troublesome member of the Republic. Far too wise for her age.

?It was all I could do to suppress her voice in the Senate, to keep her faith in me and me alone. Though my public face was that of Senator Palpatine of the Republic, my true face was that of Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith. My apprentice and I were forced to hide in the shadows, as the Sith had done for three thousand years, because the vile and ignorant Jedi would surely have destroyed us had they known of our existence. They feared our power, but they feared even more how tempted they themselves were to use it. Only the wisest knew where the true power lay and only the bravest dared to take it.

?I contacted the Trade Federation as Sidious. The Neimoidians were stupid and easily intimidated. They cooperated as best their greed soaked instincts would allow them. I harnessed that greed and used it to my advantage. I had them blockade Naboo in hopes that your mother would sign a treaty making Naboo legally a Trade Federation world. Using Naboo?s powerful voice in the Senate in addition to all other Federation controlled worlds, I was sure to rise to power. In exchange, they got direct control of Naboo. I did not, however, count on the Chancellor sending two Jedi as the ambassadors to settle the dispute. Nor did I expect the queen to escape the planet. The bumbling Neimoidians failed to eliminate the Jedi, who managed to make it down to the planet and whisk your mother to safety. Their ship was damaged, however, in their flight through the blockade and they were forced to land on the nearest non-Federation planet for repairs. That planet was Tatooine. It was there that your mother, along with the Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn and your former master Obi-Wan Kenobi met a nine year-old miracle boy. He was the only human to podrace, he was a genius with all things mechanical, and he was conceived by the Force itself. He was Anakin Skywalker. I believe you own a golden protocol droid. A certain C-3PO? He was built by your father when he was nothing more than a child. The Jedi Qui-Gon knew of his power and promised to train him.

?The Jedi Council recognized the difficulties of training a child as old as he. You see, age is of the utmost importance to the Jedi. They wish to get their children at an age where they can wipe the arrogance from their minds. They teach them that anger, hatred, and jealousy are emotions to be suppressed and forgotten. A child too old already knows these feelings and cannot easily excise them. The Sith believe in the power of these emotions and embrace them.?

Arisin hung on every word. He had grown up never fully knowing who his father was. Everything he?d been told had been a lie. His uncle told him his father was a navigator on a spice freighter. Obi-Wan had said that he was Jedi who had been murdered by another named Vader. It had been less than a year now that he?d known the truth. He wished to know more.

The Emperor shifted slightly in his seat and continued.

?When I heard of the queen?s escape, I immediately sent after her my apprentice. He was to kill the Jedi and retrieve her. He was a very powerful man, my apprentice. Lord Maul. His fierce exterior matched his soul. He was a master martial artist. I myself taught him to wield a lightsaber. When it came time for him to build his own, he chose a very difficult model. It was the design pre

13. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    Leia sat back in her cell, eyes swollen. She had been crying again. Everything Luke and the Emperor had said to her made sense. More than that, she herself had thought those same thoughts on more than one occasion. But it surprised her how readily and completely she had betrayed the organization which she had fought so hard for for so long. Maybe she just realized the futility of continuing to fight. So many had been lost. She just wanted it to end.

She knew the information she gave up would lead to the deaths of dozens of undercover agents. She knew it as she gave it to the interrogator. Part of her didn?t care. If a few had to be sacrificed to end the war, so be it. Even as guilty as she was feeling, she felt a great sense of relief. An enormous burden had been lifted from her shoulders. She felt free for the first time in over five years. She felt good.

There was a tone at her door. It opened and her brother stepped in.

?Luke,? she said flatly. Again she felt anger from him at the mention of his name, but it was significantly less than before. He?d better get used to it, she thought. She refused to call him Lord?whatever his new name was.

?Leia.? His appearance still disturbed her. ?I have something for you.? He reached into a hidden pocket and pulled out a necklace. It was a pendant no bigger than a credit chip hung on a leather cord. Strange writing or symbols were etched into its surface.

?What is it?? She asked as he stepped over to her. He put the pendant in her hand.

?A gift. From our father to our mother. I thought you should have it.? He closed her hand around it. ?I want to try something. I want you to concentrate on it.?

She closed her eyes and did as she was told. Not sure what she was doing, she just cleared her mind of everything but the pendant. She felt Luke do the same. A few moments passed. Nothing was happening. She was about to tell Luke when she heard a tiny voice.

??cold,? said the voice.

?You come from a warm planet. A little too warm for my taste. Space is cold.? This voice was new. A girl.

Leia knew who this was.

?I made this for you. I carved it out of a japor snippet,? said the first voice. It was a little boy.

?Thank you, Ani. It?s beautiful.? The girl was older than the boy, probably mid-teens. There was a maturity in her voice that reminded Leia very much of herself.

Leia snapped back into reality. Luke was breathing hard.

?I wasn?t sure that would work,? he said. ?Do you know what that was??

?Yes. It was our mother. And Vader,? she said softly.

Luke nodded. ?Yes,? he said. ?From what I know, I think he was only nine or ten years old when he made this for her.? He indicated the pendant. ?There are some things you should know about Anakin Skywalker.? For the next two hours, he told her everything he had learned about their father. When he?d finished, Leia sat awestruck. She could hardly believe the Darth Vader she?d known had grown up a slave. In an odd way, she had gained a new respect for him. It didn?t excuse him from his atrocities, but it gave her a deeper understanding of how and why he became what he was.

His story also helped her better understand the Jedi. He father had always told her of them. As a senator in the Republic Senate, he dealt with them on a daily basis. He made them sound so?noble. He never told her of their faults.

The Jedi were arrogant beyond words. They let the Force rule over their lives like a religious cult, convinced they were better than everyone else, that they and they alone could live life right. They weren?t allowed the most basic emotions, emotions that make people who they are. They forbade any contact with family, close friendships. They weren?t allowed to marry or even fall in love. What was once respect for the Order turned almost instantly to disgust.

What gave them the right to demand such a high price from their members? The Jedi were not the pure, noble sect they wanted the galaxy to believe they were. Their fate was well deserved, in her opinion. At least the Sith are true. They embrace t

14. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    Arisin kept his hood up but turned his head to allow the cool breeze to brush his face. The distant sun was beginning to fall to the horizon. It was never truly night on Coruscant. Light poured from billions of windows, buildings were illuminated by huge spotlights and passing transports. Even now, the lights were on.

He looked down, into the artificial canyons created by the monster structures. An ominous orange glow shone brightly from far below. It resembled an infinitely-forked river of magma, winding its way between and around buildings, casting eerie shadows. Hundreds of level separated him from the artificial inferno. He was still awed at the size and scale of the city before him.

As the sun set, the air cooled and the gentle breeze became a swift wind. It tore at his robes and threatened to rip the hood from his head. He tightened his sash and lowered his head in submission against the wind. Most of the other observers had already left, unbeknownst to him. He was drawn to the beauty of the sprawling city. At the moment, he was alone, with the exception of a younger man standing out of the wind by the door.

The man looked around the area and then at Arisin, who had begun walking toward the open doorway.

?Gimme all your money!? he yelled, simultaneously producing a very nasty, very lethal-looking vibroblade from his clothing. He jabbed the softly humming blade in Arisin?s direction. ?C?mon! You heard me; I want everything of value you got!! Now!?

Arisin calmly looked at the man. He looked about as old as he had been when he?d first met up with Obi-Wan. Barely out of his teens.

?I don?t think you know who you?re mugging, kid. Turn around and walk away and I may let you live.? He had to grin. Not two hours on planet and he was getting robbed. He hadn?t even left the Palace!

?I ain?t afraid o? you! I got the knife, now gimme your money!?

When Arisin did nothing, the man lunged. He slashed at Arisin?s chest, the blade singing as is swung through the air. Arisin calmly held out a hand, as though gesturing for quiet. The man froze in position, held in the steely grip of the Force. His vibroblade was a centimeter from Arisin?s heart, still humming. The man looked at Arisin, eyes wide, obviously confused.

?You?re right. You do have the knife. I, however,? said Arisin, reaching into his robes, ?have this.? He ignited his lightsaber, its emerald blade pointed directly at the would-be mugger?s throat. ?Now, I know I warned you, right??

The mugger nodded.

?But you didn?t listen, did you??

The man shook his head, looking terrified. Good.

?Now, I?m going to have to tell my master about this. Do you know who my master is?? Arisin grinned maliciously.

The man shook his head.

?I serve the Emperor. I?m the man who killed Darth Vader,? he leaned in closer to the man?s face, ?and took his place,? Arisin whispered.

The man?s eyes widened further, now realizing how very mistaken he was. Obviously he?d heard what had happened to Vader. News travels fast in such a place as Coruscant.

?I can save you, if you do as you?re told.? He lowered the saber from the man?s throat.

The man nodded vigorously.

Arisin released his hold and the mugger fell to the ground.

?Get up,? ordered Arisin. The man slowly got to his feet, never taking his eyes off the glowing blade. When he stood upright, he looked into Arisin?s eyes. Before he could utter a sound, there was a flash of green as Arisin plunged his lightsaber through the man?s chest. The vibroblade he?d still been holding fell from his hand and clattered to the ground.

A look of complete shock adorned the man?s face. ?But you said you?d save me!? he said weakly, sputtering.

Arisin looked into his eyes and pulled him close.

?I did.?

He deactivated the lightsaber and clipped it back on his belt, allowing the man?s corpse to slump to the ground.

A beeping sound told him his master was calling him. It was time to address the Empire. He pulled out the comm and pressed the transmit button.

?I?m on my way, Master.?

Rep

15. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    The shuttle flew into the now brightly lit hangar. Many of the mechanics had left, though a small crew had stayed behind in order to tend to the Emperor?s shuttle upon its return. As the ship set down, Palpatine turned to his apprentice.

?Before we left, I took the liberty of acquiring the access codes for your father?s quarters, as well as supplying you with a new wardrobe.?

He handed Arisin a sheet of flimsiplast with his room?s codes printed on its clear surface. He took it and slid it into his robes. The boarding ramp lowered and the troupe of guards filed down to the hangar floor.

?Go,? said Palpatine. ?You leave early. A Sith finds rest when he can.?

?Yes, Master.? He stood and made his way off the shuttle. Palpatine watched as he exited the hangar and thought of the tremendous battle he?d won in turning young Skywalker. And all the battles the new Sith would help him win. Now, he thought, the sister.

Arisin found it difficult to sleep. He looked forward not only to seeing this new piece of technology but to having a ship constructed specially for him.

Shortly after leaving the shuttle, he was approached by a palace technician.

?I?m here to ensure you unrestricted access to all parts of the palace as well as all of Lord Vader?s personal property,? he said.

Arisin held up his sheet of flimsi.

?I?ve already been given the access codes.?

?The access codes only get you so far,? said the technician. ?But there are some sections where codes aren?t in use. After I scan your retinas, you can go anywhere you please without ever having to punch in a single code.? He held up a small device that resembled a communicator. ?It?s a new system we?ve installed here in the palace and all other pieces of Imperial property. Now,? he said. ?If you?ll just hold still and look straight ahead, this?ll only take a moment.?

Arisin did as he was told, focusing on the wall just over the man?s shoulder. The tech brought the device up to each eye and, after a quick flash of blue light, he was done.

?Alright,? he said. ?You retinal patterns have been entered into the system. You?re done. Have a good evening, sir.? With that, he turned and walked away.

That had been hours ago. Arisin currently lay awake in his new bed. Though the blinds were shut, light still streaked through the windows with each passing speeder. Finally deciding sleep was out of the question, he got up. He slipped on his boots and walked to the center of the cavernous room he?d been given. He reached out with the Force and called his lightsaber to his outstretched hand. The moment the cold metal touched his skin, he felt alive. Deciding to practice his control of the Force, he ignited the saber and held it before him with both hands.

Slowly, he loosened his grip in the hilt until it sat, floating in the air, unwavering. The constant hum of the blade helped him to concentrate. He first decided to spin the lightsaber on its horizontal axis, like a drill. He fought to keep the saber perfectly balanced in the air while still spinning it. Once he?d done that, he moved on to something more challenging.

With a sweep of his arm, he sent the lightsaber flying across the room, halting the humming blade barely a millimeter from scorching the wall. He spun the saber, this time like a glowing disk. He sent it hurling around the room, careful to veer it away a split second before it would cleave something in two. The exercise caused an eerie strobe effect around the room. He continued this control exercise until the sun crept slowly through the blinds in slanting rays.

Though he?d gotten no sleep, he felt refreshed. He was pleased with his level of control. Over the years, he?d progressed far. The last few days had seen further and faster progression than all the last four years combined. He was indeed pleased.

As he dressed into fresh clothes, his room?s intercom signaled a caller. He activated the switch with the Force.

His master?s voice answered. ?Oh, good. You?re awake. Are you ready to leave??

?I am. Just tell me which ship

16. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    The Emperor walked down to a bare section of wall and punched a code into a small keypad. A five meter long panel slid up, revealing a lit display case filled with hundreds of lightsabers.

?Like the Jedi, a Sith?s lightsaber is an extension of their very being. These are the sabers of over four hundred past Masters. This,? he said, indicating a large, jeweled hilt, ?belonged to Lord Exar Kun, builder of the great pyramids of Yavin IV. And this one,? he said, pointing to a hilt that looked to be fashioned from a creature?s actual arm, complete with splayed claws around the blade emitter. ?This belonged to one of the most powerful Sith in recorded history, Naga Sadow.? He swept his arm, indicating all of the sabers.

?Every saber has a story. Each was the last thing a Jedi saw before their death and each, in turn, was felled by the Jedi.? He walked to the end of the display case and reached for that very last saber. It was silver and bronze colored, very organically shaped. A scar in the middle showed experience. ?All save this one.? Palpatine looked at it warmly, like one would an old friend. ?It has felled many Jedi, yet its master still lives.?

Leia looked puzzled. ?Alive? I don?t under?? She stopped. ?It?s yours.?

?Yes,? he said, nodding. ?Unfortunately, it was damaged during its last dance.? He indicated the weld reattaching the two halves. ?I repaired it, but it has been a great many years since I?ve had the occasion to use it.? He pressed the ignition button and fire sprang from the emitter. The blade hummed with infinite power. It cast an eerie red glow on the Emperor?s pallid face.

He extinguished the blade and replaced the hilt in the case. ?I look forward to training you in the art of the saber. A master of the saber can make a fight look like a beautiful dance, so elegant is the weapon. I foresee you becoming a great saber artist.? Leia couldn?t help but smile, ever so slightly.

She quickly wiped the smile from her face. ?I still don?t trust you,? she said, ever defiant. ?How do I know you won?t use me for evil? Or more, gain my trust only to have me killed.?

The Emperor smiled. He was pleased to have another intelligent pupil.

?My dear, if I had wanted you dead, I could have killed you the moment you stepped foot in my office without so much as wrinkling my brow. I give you my word, Princess.?

?No,? she said. ?That?s not good enough. I need more than just your word.?

?Anything,? said Palpatine simply. There was an odd infliction in his voice that caught Leia off guard.

?Wait, what do you mean, ?anything??? She narrowed her eyes.

?I mean exactly that, Your Highness. You want more than my word in return for your trust. I am telling you that you may have anything you desire if it will prove my sincerity.?

?You must be joking,? she said amazed.

?I assure you, Leia, I am not.? This was the first time he?d addressed her by name. ?Anything you want is yours.? The Emperor?s tone was deadly serious. If he was deceiving her, she couldn?t detect it.

?If I wanted Five Hundred Republica??

?Yours.? He looked into her eyes. ?There?s a secret training facility underneath that you would enjoy. Anything else??

?Corellia,? she said, certain she?d crossed the line.

?The planet, the system, or the whole sector?? he said, chuckling at a long lost memory.

?If you?re not joking, then you must be insane!? Leia couldn?t believe he?d give her an entire planet, an entire sector!

?I haven?t lost my mind, Princess. I am merely trying to show you that I am willing to do anything to gain your trust. Would you like a Star Destroyer? Or an entire fleet, perhaps??

Leia shook her head. She would see right now just how much he was willing to give her.

?The Death Star. I want the Death Star. That way, I can personally see that it doesn?t destroy another planet.?

?Ah, you refer to your Alderaan. A tragic loss. But a necessary one, I assure you. Until the Death Star was used, people had no reason to be intimidated by it.?

?I think your message was clear, Your Majesty. I would

17. Darth_Arisin

Apr 6, 2005
    Palpatine was brought out of his deep meditation by a most annoying beeping. He waved his hand.

?Yes?? he croaked.

An image formed above his desk. It was Lord Arisin.

?Master, we?ve reached the Installation. I?m about to shuttle down to the surface.?

The Emperor stood from his throne. ?Very good.?

?One more thing, Master.?

Palpatine raised an eyebrow. ?Yes, Lord Arisin??

?I have promoted Admiral Piett to Grand Admiral. He has shown absolute loyalty to the Empire and runs the most efficient crew in the Fleet.?

?Grand Admirals are to be appointed by no one other than myself, Arisin. Do you presume to have better judgment than I??

?Of course not, Master.? Arisin lowered his head in submission.

?You?re certain his loyalty is without question??

Arisin looked up. ?Absolutely, Master. He was brave enough to call Vader a disgrace to the Empire and what it stands for in my presence. I believe he would give his life if he knew it ensured prolonging the Empire?s survival even one day.?

?Then it shall be official. Upon his return, he shall be promoted.?

?Thank you, Master. I promise, he won?t disappoint you.?

?Admiral Piett has yet to disappoint anyone. I quite agree that he is the finest officer I have the pleasure of having in my command.?

?I?ll contact you when I?ve something to report. Arisin, out.? With a bow, the transmission ended and the image blinked out.

Palpatine pressed a button in the arm of his chair. ?Sate, show the princess into my office and have an open-air speeder brought to my shuttle bay in ten minutes. A pilot won?t be necessary and inform the guards not to follow.?

?At once, Your Majesty.?

Fifteen minutes later, the odd couple were soaring above the shimmering jewel that was Coruscant. The Emperor insisted that he and Leia went alone. His security staff didn?t like the idea but they knew that he was anything but vulnerable.

Leia flew expertly through the lanes, going nowhere in particular and waiting for the Emperor?s instruction. He spoke finally after they had traveled a great distance from the palace.

?Today we will work on awareness. Yesterday, you sensed me in a small room. Today, you will sense them,? he said, gesturing at the millions of speeders and air transports stretching from one horizon to the other as far as the eye could see.

?What are you planning on doing? Push me out and have me dodge speeders midair??

?Not exactly.? Before she could react, the Emperor reached over and injected something into her neck. A moment later, blackness.

?I can?t see! What in stars? end did you do to me!?? Leia yelled her hands rubbing her eyes, desperately trying to get her sight to return.

?I have blinded you,? the Emperor said simply. ?You needn?t worry. The affect is temporary.?

?Yeah, I figured as much. Why did you blind me?? She could hear speeders zipping by, feel the breeze they created.

?Kal nock shal kree!? she heard someone yell as they had to swerve around them.

?Because I cannot trust you to simply keep your eyes closed for the exercise. Do not question my teachings, embrace them,? he scolded.

?Alright.? She was more than a little annoyed that she hadn?t been warned of her impending blindness. ?What do you want me to do??

?Fly,? he instructed.

?That?s it? Just fly? Well gee, I thought this was going to be difficult,? she said sarcastically.

?Do your best to not get us killed. ?See? your way through the traffic. Know every speeder, every transport, every building. Feel them with the Force.? He placed a pale hand on her shoulder. She flinched at the unexpected contact. ?I am confident of your skill. Act on instinct.?

?I?ll try.? She began to accelerate.

?No. Trying to win loses the war. Be confident. Do.?

?Yeah,? she said softly to herself. ?Right.? She swerved just in time to avoid a head on with a large speeder. Its pilot screamed. She smiled. This may be fun after all.

She pulled the speeder hard to the right then dove sharply. She punched the accelerator, diving at a steep angle. She heard Pa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.