main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The New Essential Guide to Characters," by Daniel Wallace, Michael Sutfin [Del Rey, 2002]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 28, 2003.

?

"The New Essential Guide to Characters," by Daniel Wallace, Michael Sutfin [Del Rey, 2002]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

39.7%
  2. 9

29.3%
  3. 8

8.6%
  4. 7

12.1%
  5. 6 (Average)

1.7%
  6. 5 (Average)

3.4%
  7. 4

3.4%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

1.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [image=http://www1.theforce.net/jc/images/bookcovers/negtc.jpg]

Summary:
    The Star Wars universe is expanding faster than ever before, and Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Characters has received an exciting new face-lift-with completely updated text and more than a hundred brand new, full-color illustrations by extraordinary new artist Michael Sutfin.
    This all-new Essential Guide features detailed profiles of more than one hundred and thirty characters from across the Star Wars galaxy, including all of your favorites-such as Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Darth Vader, and Mara Jade-as well as, from Episode II:

? Jango Fett ? Count Dooku ? Anakin Skywalker ? Zam Wesell

And the key players from Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace:

? Queen Amidala ? Qui-Gon Jinn ? Mace Windu ? Darth Maul

Here is complete, updated coverage of the novels from the incredible New Jedi Order and all of the classic movies, books, comics, TV specials, games, and the rest of the Star Wars universe.

This must-have book describes the essential history and personal data for each character-with vital statistics, homeworlds, and political affiliations.

More characters, more information, brilliant artwork-the Essential Guides are hotter than ever!

3. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Fantastic Essential Guide!

Loved the text by fellow SWFA member Daniel Wallace, and the full colour artwork is aweomse!

Also, first Star Wars publication that I got an acknowledgement in! :)

4. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Also, first Star Wars publication that I got an acknowledgement in!

Where?

Anyways, it's a good book. And FAR better than the original which, while good in 1995, isn't exactly the type of book that would work in the SW universe of the 21st Century.

10. :)

5. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Where?

In the acknowledgements section! (Michael Potts).

6. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Oh. Guess I didn't recognize it because it wasn't "The Gatherer". :p

Anyways, may I ask how you were involved in making this book?

7. 4thBG5thBTL

4thBG5thBTL Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2003
    it's way better than the last one. it got a few small details wrong and it's missing some of my favorite characters like Ganner, Nen Yim, Tenel Ka should have a bigger part, so should Tahiri and Danni, it's missing Cal Omas and Kenth Hamner and Tionne....but of the ppl they did include i like it very very much! i learned things i didn't know about my absolute faves.

4thBG5thBTL

8. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    If I recall correctly, as Daniel explained it, it was in recognition of the hard work that Chris McElroy and I have put in with Timetales.

I think that Daniel used Timetales to corroborate some of his dates, etc...

9. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Gatherer: Coolness! :)

it's way better than the last one. it got a few small details wrong and it's missing some of my favorite characters like Ganner, Nen Yim, Tenel Ka should have a bigger part, so should Tahiri and Danni, it's missing Cal Omas and Kenth Hamner and Tionne....but of the ppl they did include i like it very very much! i learned things i didn't know about my absolute faves.

IIRC, the reason that they weren't included was because their characters were not fully developed at the time the book was being made to warrant inclusion.

10. evanchester

evanchester Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    I gave it a 10. It was almost perfect as far as essential guides go. I especially like the color illustrations. Hopefully we'll get another one after Episode 3.

11. 6-6-6

6-6-6 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2002
    For what it was, it was great. It was nice to finally have the info fit together and work with the continuity, and it was refreshing to see that the NJO and EpII were included.

It could have used another hundred or so pages, and I was confused as to why certain entries were there (They included Kam Solousar and Ric Olie, but not Wes Janson or Tenel Ka) Also, much of the information was outdated by the time it was released, and several of the character profiles seemed to stop on cliffhangers, instead of waiting another two or three months for the next NJO book to be released and then filling in the gaps in the profiles. A second NEGTC is definately already overdue, and I would like to have seen more information about already established characters who were not even included in the appendix.

12. tendra_217

tendra_217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    It is a good book. Wonderful illustrations. It would be better if everyone in the appendix had their own entry.

13. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    i liked the full color and large DB. the only real problem is it leaves out a bunch of characters, both minor and major. i would liek to see a complet guild sometime.

14. ReconSEAL

ReconSEAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2003
    very good and comprehensive.

15. redleader92055

redleader92055 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2003
    i gave it a 9 because it was good but there is no biggs in it

16. jedishellyskywalker

jedishellyskywalker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Unfortunately, I haven't got it, cos I live in Ireland! (Boo hoo)
    Is Jag in it? If so can someone PLEASE post an illustration or something? Thanks!

Shelly
    :D

17. Leia_Fanatic

Leia_Fanatic Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    9. I would have given it a 10 if a picture had of been provided for Tahiri Vheila.

18. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    It's a great, interesting book, but it isn't 'Essential'. It favours a few obscure characters with a whole page, while Shmi Skywalker, Bail Organa and other important characters are relegated to one paragraph at the back.

And yes, Jag's in it. He has a little picture and a paragraph of info.

19. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    first Star Wars publication that I got an acknowledgement in!
    ((bows before The Gatherer))
    Very cool!

I held off on the original edition, because with so many EU books coming out...they would have to update the main character biographies, plus add new ones.

GREAT BOOK!!! While there are characters I would liked to have seen included, I think the offered a balance between films/and all aspects of EU. And I like the artwork in this edition, because the color adds more "life" to the depiction.

20. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Great but I can't wait for an updated one. Already there are characters missing!

21. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    It was good, but not perfect. Didn't have enough Rogues and Wraiths for my taste. They could have at least done a collective entry for each, like they did with the Jedi Council and the Jedi at the Battle of Geonosis.

And there was no Mirax :(

22. Corran10584

Corran10584 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 8, 2002
    9 - Good sequel to the first Essential Guide to characters. The full colored pictures were great, and the new additions really expanded some of the newer characters we've come to love. I would have given it a 10, but the picture of "Runt" Ekwesk in the back is pretty disturbing.

~Corran

23. CaesarSteiner

CaesarSteiner Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2003
    Wait, no Mirax AND no Janson? Bah, I give it the one!

Okay, not a one, but I'd just like to point out that whoever forgot to put Janson and Wedge's pseudo little sister in there needs a severe beating with Hobbie's bacta-soaked body.

24. xoliver

xoliver Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2001
    Thoroughly researched, entertainingly written, with some nice additions by DW. Doesn't exactly match who I'd have chosen for big entries, but so what?

Wes Janson's (and Poggle the Lesser's) NEGC entry is in Insider #59.

25. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I got an acknowledgement too, so I was pretty happy with it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.