main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The NEW Fan Sites Open Banner Call

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Brandon Rhea, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Hello all! You have just entered the official thread that will serve as a gathering spot for all those interested in creating new banners for the Fan Sites forum. There are simple guidelines and helpful links below that will assist you in the creation of a banner, and as always please don?t hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Why ask for new banners?
    Because we're looking for new material, duh! :D The idea here is to gather banners over time so we can have a constant rotation of new banners.

When does this end?
    This is an open call thread, so there is no limitation or time constraint on when banners can be submitted. You are free to make as many as you like - just be aware that not all ideas will necessarily be used.

How do I make a banner?
    There is a great guide on how to make a banner in this thread. Please read through that thread, especially the first post, and make sure you understand what is needed with a banner. There is also another great site here that can help you as well. Also please make sure your images are properly sized and aligned before submitting!

What are the rules?
    The titles "TheForce.Net" and "Fan Sites Forum" must be visible, and images should represent web design and/or images from sites like StarWars.com, TheForce.Net, Wookieepedia, Star Wars Fanon Wiki, etc. You may also use images and other elements from sites that are announced in threads here in the forum, but please make sure you ask the owner's permission before doing so.

Who do I send my banner to?
    You may send your completed banner submission to me, Jedimasterbac, and also feel free to post your work here for critique by other Fan Sites users.

What happens if my idea is chosen?
    If your banner is chosen for use in the Fan Sites forum, it will be submitted to the tech administrator here on the boards and put into rotation. Once uploaded you will receive VIP-ship for two weeks along with a title stating that you created a banner for Fan Sites.

If you have any questions, please either post them here or send me a PM. Have fun! :D

2. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Very nice, I had planned on making this suggestion in the suggestion thread!

I may have to try and make another one. :D

This website will also aid in the creation of a banner. ;)

3. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Thanks for that link. I've added it into the first post.

4. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    D'oh! :oops: Why do you dern people keep creating cool things for me to do? :p

Grimby's site, the one the nemisis suggested, was the sole guide I used when I made the WNU banner. He pretty much made the guide idiot-proof. The fact that I had never made a banner for the JC didn't matter... just follow his guide and it's a piece of cake.

All right, so I will muse on this and see what kind of time I have left over from fanfic and goofing off while I'm supposed to be studying for school and work. It might take a while, but this board really does need some extra pizazz. Great first modly move, bac! I hope we'll get a couple of HAWT banners out of it!

5. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Well, I'm not gonna lie... making a banner all about "websites" and "website making" is interesting. And a little weird-feeling. Or maybe I just stink at banner-making. [face_dancing]

In any case, I've got one coming along nicely. I can't say why, with all that I have to do in real life and on the JC, I'm really obsessed with this, but I am... it's only taken me a couple of days to get everything together and starting trying to fit some stuff into Photoshop. My "art" is pretty basic, anyway. I'll leave the fancier stuff to the experts with lots of time to play!

I'll hope for something to show for my work this weekend. Sound good, baaaaaac?

6. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Thanks to Trika_Kenobi for the AWESOME new banner! :)

7. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Wow! Very nice! =D=

Though, I am not so sure about the purple...:p

8. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Eh... purple's not my favorite, either, but it came from the background of the Padmé picture and is generally complimentary to blues. :p

Thanks for the opportunity. It was a lot of work, but it was definitely fun!

So, nemisis, are we going to get to see some of your work soon? [face_batting]

9. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    It's a possibility. I tried before, and it didn't turn out that great. It got uploaded, but...I am self-conscious about my work. :p

I would expect one from me by the end of the summer (I am going broad so not to disappoint :p).

10. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Man, I really want to give this a try...but I don't have any idea what to do. :(

11. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Well, I'm not gonna lie... coming up with stuff describing "fan sites" is sort of weird, especially trying to keep it in the spirit of Star Wars. I basically went tech-head with this one. Dreamweaver layouts, a Flash timeline, Photoshop tools. This one's got a lot of stuff on it. If I were to do another one, I'd definitely keep things simple. Maybe have a nice Star Wars collage in the background, being revealed by something like a paintbrush running across the top... and then put a smattering of code here, or some screencaps of some websites somewhere.

And as for being self-conscious about your work, everyone could probably say the same. I sort of readily admit I'm pretty basic in Photoshop... I've got the tech-head knowledge, but not the artsy style to go with it. When I made my first banner, I just did it and didn't look back. I thought I would eventually grow to hate the dern thing, but I actually still like it, for all of its base quality. :p Now, could I do a better one? I'm sure I could now that I've got some more ideas... but as long as it looks solid, your banner will bring its own flash to the JC. My banners typically have one "feel" to them while another banner maker's style has another. They're all good, though... lots of people will appreciate a unique vision. Just hop to it and see what happens! :D

12. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Thanks! [:D]

Anyway, I am definitely very, very basic with photoshop. I started working on the main.png image today - did for like ten minutes and didn't far -and was going for some screenshots of photoshop, dreamweaver, notepad etc. But, I feel like that is used in your banner a lot, and I don't want to seem like I am copying you, you know? I don't know.

Grr...if I could just get someone else to create the banner, and I would do the CSS...I'd be fine! :p

13. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    So, I have decided not to even try...I can't even come up with any ideas that haven't already been presented. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.