main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The *NEW* First Sentence Challenge -- New Sentence 10/07/09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FirstSentence, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FirstSentence

FirstSentence Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2007
    Welcome to the brand new home of the First Sentence Challenge, this is a direct predecessor of the previous challenge thread. The premise of this is simple, we, your lovable sock puppet, will post a sentence, and from that you must build a fic. It can be any sized, any shape, just so long as it is a fic, and it starts with the sentence in question.

The standard rules of the challenge are that you choose a sentence, and then that sentence is the first sentence of your fic. On occasion, we will change things to provide both a beginning and an ending sentence, or just an ending sentence. If we do that, we'll be sure to put it in big bold letters.

We will be taking over the original FIC threads which Twitch started way back in the yesteryears of this challenge (if they're locked, I'm certain one of our wonderful mods would be kind enough to unlock them for us.)

And those threads are here:

Before the Saga:
    http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/20799271/?0

The Saga:
    http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/20799327/?0

Beyond the Saga:
    http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/20799351/?0

Here is the current sentence:
    She learned on the balcony railing, waiting for the end of the world. -- Otherland Volume Three: Mountain of Black Glass by Tad Williams

Have fun, enjoy yourselves, and good writing.

Additionally, as an extra-special, meta-challenge, write a multi-chapter story, utilizing the sentences from this challenge as the first sentence of each post.

Meta-Challenge Threads:
    Blue Jay by Kissa - WIP/Dead
    Stories from my OC by Sebastian_Thyr - WIP

2. FirstSentence

Dec 31, 2007
    Sentence Archive

[b]2005[/b][blockquote]1: As she wandered down the hallway, she clutched the only weapon that she could find and prayed that none of the blaster bolts dancing from around the corner would find their mark in her.

2: As he held her chin in his hands and looked into those beautiful tear filled eyes, he felt a tremor run through his entire body and knew what he had to do.

3: He awoke drenched in sweat with his heart racing and his eyes refusing to focus and the only thing he could think was "Tell me this is not happening."

4: The stench of garbage filled her nose as she scraped and crawled her way along the path and for a brief moment, she wondered if this was where she would die.

5: As he rolled over and reached out for something to defend himself, his hand found her soft form and made him aware that it had all been a dream and this time, she was the reality.

6: The energy from their weapons sizzled between them and as their eyes met from across the room, they both knew that this was most certainly the end to what might have been a beautiful friendship.

7: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way -- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only." [i]Charles Dickens, a Tale of Two Cities[/i]

8: The tears rolled down her face as she gripped him tightly, knowing that she might never see him again but needing to tell him how much she loved him.

9. For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. [i]- Carl Sagan[/i] [b]End sentence[/b]

10. Nobody was really surprised when it happened, not really, not on the subconscious level where savage things grow. [i]by Stephen King[/i]

11. As the headache began to subside, the random images of strangers offering congratulations, orchestral music paired with lovely flowers and that familiar voice that echoed my own 'I do's' flitted through my mind and I was unable to stop their assault.

12. "You can't open the book (holo) of my life and jump in the middle. Like woman, I'm a mystery."

13. I had the story, bit by bit, from various people, and, as generally happens in such cases, each time it was a different story. [i]By Edith Wharton[/i]

14. 'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.' [i]Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen[/i]

15. "From the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent." [i]HP. Lovecraft, The Shunned House[/i] And your final sentence? The last words of a very very famous man.
    "Go on, get out! Last words are for fools who haven't said enough!" [i] Karl Marx, d.1883 [/i]

16. Antifighter flak flashed on all sides.

17. "The man is sleeping", first sentence from Stephen Lawhead's 'Dream Thief'.

18. I'll make my report as if I told a story, for I was taught as a child on my homeworld that Truth is a matter of the imagination. [i]From: Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula Le Guin [/i]

19. There are some events of which each circumstance and surrounding detail seem to be graven on the memory in such a fashion that we cannot forget them. [i]from She - H. Rider Haggard [/i]

20. I watched with glee from the refuge of my hiding place as the object of my affection came across the mystery present, tore off the wrapping and gasped in surprise that I had finally managed to give her the perfect gift.

21. Looking back it was obvious that there were things that needed to be done which hadn't been and things that had been done that shouldn't have, and that forced him to take a long hard look a

3. FirstSentence

Dec 31, 2007

[b]2009[/b][blockquote]
    1: The decision to leave behind the only life they had ever known in exchange for one of running and fighting began as most decisions do; over selecting the best kind of appetizers. - Suggested by Starwolf76

2: It was always messy cleaning up after a murder. Suggested by Kit'

3: Once in a great while lips meet and two spirits merge for a time and the universe is right and complete and the planets wheel in their proper places -- [i]For Us, The Living[/i], Robert A. Heinlein

4: "Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while." --[i] The Princess Bride [/i](Valentine's Day)

5: Though this be madness, yet there is a method in it.

6: Ignoring the mounting chaos around him, he continued his work to override the controls.

7: Rarely is it given man to know the day or the hour when fate intervenes in his destiny, but, because he had checked his watch just before he saw the girl with the hips, he knew the day, the hour, and the minute. [i]The Last Starship From Earth[/i] by John Boyd

8: Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them.

9: Sometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.

10: "You call it madness, but I call it love."

11: As the guests began to arrive, one member of the household was conspicuously absent.

12: A kiss could change the world. -- [i]The Killing of Worlds[/i] by Scott Westerfield, [b]FINAL SENTENCE[/b]

13: I was twenty-three. I was invincible, because you are when you?re twenty-three, the fact is, life sometimes traps you; sometimes there is no way out and there is no chance to escape; sometimes there is; sometimes you can get away... sometimes you die. -- [i]Memory Sticks[/i] by Wood Ingham

14: ?I don?t think you quite understand the importance of the next words the come out of your mouth.? (donated by brodiew)

15: Then he was down the elevator and back on the sunny plaza, and hovering all around him were the worlds of art and science that all these beings were busy building, and he thought, [i]What if I can have it all?[/i] -- [i]Rainbow's End[/i] by Vernor Vinge

16: She learned on the balcony railing, waiting for the end of the world. -- [i]Otherland Volume Three: Mountain of Black Glass [/i]by Tad Williams

[/blockquote]

4. FirstSentence

Dec 31, 2007
    Reserved For Sock Use

5. FirstSentence

Dec 31, 2007
    Reserved For Sock Use

6. FirstSentence

Dec 31, 2007
    Reserved For Sock Use

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Quick question...

If we are going to attempt the extra challenge of writing a multi-chapter story with the first sentences, can we post it in our own story thread instead of the designated thread? I think it would make it easier for people to follow the plot line that way.

I haven't decided if I'm gonna do that or not yet, I have a lot on my plate as it is... I'm just curious!

8. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes, you would use your own thread and just pop back here to supply the link.

9. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    And to make it even clearer, you don't have to use the challenge threads for your 'fic. They are there and provided, but a lot of folks didn't use them even for the first incarnation of this challenge.

10. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Ooh, fabulous! I'll have to start doing these again. [face_dancing]

11. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
  12. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    I enjoyed it! Thanks for writing for the challenge :D Hope to see more from you.

13. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks, I'm sure you will. :D

I do have one question. Is this challenge monthly, or weekly, or what?

14. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    It had originally been weekly, but later on was pushed back to bi-weekly. We'll probably stay on that bi-weekly schedule (so expect a new sentence Tuesday). Any changes to that schedule (outside of RL smacking down both Lola & myself at the same time) will (probably) be announced.

15. FirstSentence

Dec 31, 2007
    Sorry that I'm a few days late, been facing some things at the house. Anyways, here's the next sentence:

Standing on the railing of the skybridge, teetering on the edge of oblivion, he remembered it all; the event, the consequences, and, most of all, the disappointment. Suggested by brodiew

16. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Oooh, I really like that sentence. :D

17. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    It was a great sentence, wasn't it :)

18. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    You guys are making me blush. I may have to actually write something for it.

No promises though.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I finished my bit earlier today, I need to check it through and stuff but I should have it up tomorrow. :)

20. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    We are? In the imitiable words of Digg: Photos or it didn't happen :p

[face_dancing]can't wait to read it!

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  22. BaronCoop

BaronCoop Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2006
    Ok, I spent some of my day off thinking, but despite all that thought, I might have come up something worthwhile (or not. hard to tell anymore). Anyway, here is what I came up with for the sentence challenge:

Standing on the railing of the skybridge, teetering on the edge of oblivion, he remembered it all; the event, the consequences, and, most of all, the disappointment.

Jedidol

Not quite what might have been expected, but it's what I came up with. Anyway, I like a good challenge! Til later!

23. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    it's perfectly dandy to link it here :) And a great job as well :)

24. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    2 great responses so far. =D=

I'm working on one myself, though it might be a bit still before I post it.

25. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    BaronCoop
    That was hilarious Baron! Great job an thanks for participating!

Meredith
    can't wait to see what you put up :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.