main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The new forum + icons.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    How about we take away the whole voting thing from icon submission, and just make it so that you submit an icon, and if it is deemed family friendly, star wars related and within the file/pixel size limits by a specific staff member or panel of staff members, and you haven't exceeded your upload limit for the month/week, it is allowed, and uploaded by said staff member.

That seems more logical than making it be that only an elite few get to put icons up.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I like that idea.

Back-to-Back!: 2008-2009 & 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: World Champions:cool:

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    This. Even when I was a mod I never really understood the long drawn out icon process. It takes like 30 seconds to add a icon. If it's Star Wars and doesn't look like crap I don't see the problem.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    What about quality control?

I understand the desire to upload an icon based on personal preference, but I don't think we should be putting up every icon simply because it fits into the Star Wars/size requirement. There's so much more to creating an icon than that. We should still maintain a certain level of quality in the icons and the voting system is a good way to do that.

5. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    It's not an "elite few". I'm almost certain anyone can submit icons for consideration at any time. There's no "elite few" about it; you make an icon, you submit, it gets thrown into the mix, if it's good it goes up. Simple.

and

This.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I love the icon system here, on almost all other boards that I visit I get annoyed with people's icons. Here we have loads of good quality icons that all fit in with the rest of the forum, it's great.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I agree. I've been on other forums where users can load their own icons and with the different sizing and animations it just looks sloppy.

8. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Yes, but how many people actually get their icons uploaded? The elite few do, that's who. We should discourage elitism, rather than encourage it, which is what we are currently doing. People feel intimidated to even come to the icon thread - look at the usual posts requesting an icon, and you will see what I mean.

Quality Control, would obviously be another thing the staff member who approves icons focuses on, but it shouldn't be focused on too much IMO, that goes back to the elitism being a no-no thing. And quite frankly, I doubt anyone would submit an icon that doesn't look good, just for that reason. If it doesn't look good to others, it likely doesn't look good to them.

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I don't know that it's really necessary to associate the icons that get chosen for the boards with elitism. Just because you may have submitted icons and they didn't get chosen, that shouldn't automatically mean you were shunned by some elite group of people.

And in my experience, many people who are relatively new to graphic design/icon making/etc. don't notice how big a quality difference there can be between their creations and the icons that make it up on the boards.

10. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Why is it that only the icon makers get a say on voting? I think that if everyone had a say it would shed some of the elitism that myself and others see. I know in the past that my current icon (had it since the first day I registered) was altered and I had to petition it be changed back.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    All you have to do to get a vote is submit an icon. There's no poll tax.

How is quality control elitism? Maybe we should let anyone who wants to help code for the site move. I mean, so long as it's not completely broken, right? Let's not be elitists about this. We wouldn't want our standards to get in the way of anyone's self-esteem.

And as for looking good to others vs. looking good to oneself . . . you'd think that about the fat old men in speedos on the beach. Life doesn't bear that out, sorry. "Undesirable things would never happen, because no one wants undesirable things," is not a theory that has ever proved itself in reality.

I have had a legally blind kid insist on another site that his blurry image was by far the best possible image and he was absolutely right and everyone else who could actually see was wrong. Yeah, you're right. No one would ever submit anything less than perfect.

12. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    OK so I submitted a icon in 2001 and it got accepted so I can vote right? Totally garbage.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Err, this is a minor thing, but the JC didn't have icons when you registered. :p

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002

If I'm remembering the case correctly, that was actually just a goof on my part. When IGN did upgrades about a year and a half ago, they changed it so icons couldn't be named the same thing (which is why there's a string of numbers on all the new icons - those numbers, for anyone interested, are just the date of the upload). So if I accidently forget the numbers, the original icon is replaced by the new one, and doesn't show up on the new icons list. That happened a couple times, actually, and will no longer be a problem when we move.

And, like Grimby said, it's pretty easy to become an icon maker, and I definitely welcome anyone who's interested!

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, as long as we're still discussing icons, can I mention one small thing? I once asked for a Jack Nicholson icon to be made, and even after a lightsaber was added to the icon, it still got refused. There's no reason for that. :p

16. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

This.

And although I disagree with the "elite few" part, the current icon system just seems really unnecessary. Since we do have a lotttttt of icons ATM, and we have icon makers, why not just switch to this system and let the icon makers make icons that people request? Nothing is stopping them from making whatever they want still, but if someone wants a particular icon uploaded and it fits the standards...what's the problem?

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    From what I understand, its pretty rare that a requested icon doesn't get in - Tunick's Nicholson example is pretty unusual.

18. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000

19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    RJ is correct. I tag requested icons, so icon makers know people want them and usually vote them through.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

:(

Yup..................I have a better idea for that: Use a picture of him that has someone to either his left or right..............fill in a SW character next to Nicholson, and it works!

21. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    So the way everyone is happy is if icon makers only make icons that people request? That makes no sense. If there's a group of willing and able icon makers who want to do nothing but take requests, then so be it. As it is, if an icon is requested it usually gets attention. Most icon makers are happy as can be to do requests; just because one odd one here or there doesn't get made doesn't mean that the system is broken.

I've been submitting icons to TF.n for a number of years. The system was the same then as it is now, with no changes implemented. It's not broken, so why restructure or try to fix it? It looks to me like some users get their feelings hurt when their icons don't get uploaded.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I totally agree on all of these standards, and it does make it look nicer/cleaner/more consistent than most other forums. On number 3, though, I thought there were two sizes: 50x50 square and 30x90/90x30 horizontal or vertical rectangles (unless those are being counted separately. :p).

23. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I counted them separately, but yeah, that's what I meant.

24. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    90x90 is a nice size. Thanks to higher resolutions, the 50x50 icons here are starting to look a little microscopic.

25. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

That's entirely not what I said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.