main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New Incarnation of the Bionic Woman

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by SySnootles, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I'm at a strange place where I'm looking forward to the new series, but I'm also hesitant to be too enthusiastic about it. I have no problem separating "original" materials from the "remakes" (or, sometimes "reinvisioning" is more accurate), so I'm not going to be upset if it's not like the original Bionic Woman. (If they didn't make changes to update the series to today's standards and expectations, there's no way it would fly on modern airwaves.) I like the premise of the series, and I am so looking forward to seeing Katee Sackhoff kicking some butt (I generally don't go for blondes, but I've definitely made an exception for her).

BUT...

I've found that most new series, especially those in the sci-fi vein, are severely lacking in quality all around, including the story arcs, general episode plots, writing, acting, and production. The most current example I can think of, Painkiller Jane. I was looking forward to that series, and then I saw the first episode. Enthusiasm - quashed. Oh well.

So I'm really really looking forward to the new series, but I'm also not holding my hopes very high. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but the realist in me keeps kicking the back of my chair.

But here's hoping for the best!

EDITTED TO ADD:

It's kinda weird how similar the promotion photos of Michelle Ryan are to Lauren Lee Smith's character of Emma Delario on Mutant X. Makes me with they would have cast her instead of Michelle Ryan (nothing against MR at all... I just have more of a thing for LLS).

2. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Having never seen the original, I'll be giving the new version a try. It can't hurt after all. The original just seemed to be weird sound effects and track suits.

3. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Yeah, frankly I never cared for the original (or the original of the original, the Six Million Dollar Man), so I don't much give a crap about the remake.

Like Catie said, I think most modern sci-fi stuff gets really dumbed down and I don't much care for any of it any more. A good sci-fi series is hard to find. Galactica did a stand up job for the first season and a half, but it's gone down the same toilet other sci-fi has. Hopefully that one will come back around for it's last season...

4. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    I think the trailer had a gritty feel to it that made it kind of appealing. Plus, I'm happy they cast non-mainstream actors/actresses. I think that helps a lot, for some reason. If it's even half as engaging as Heroes, I should like it. Also, I'm not sure I'd even classify it as sci-fi--it just didn't strike me as such.

I'll give it the pilot, plus one or two additional episodes to prove itself.

And for the record, I had a crush on Lindsay Wagner in her 6-million-dollar-heyday. Informercial Lindsay? Not so much.

EDIT: I had no idea you liked that Sackhoff girl, Catie.

5. Outlander_

Outlander_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    Can a remake of the Six Million Dollar Man be far behind?

6. MrNepathy

MrNepathy Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2007
    From the first ad it looks like a bit of a dark take on the story. The car crash and then waking up to see her legs gone... both kind of gritty.

I think they either have to sort of go with the cheese factor of the first, or completely go the other way, can't mix and match. Truthfully I'd prefer the gritty story to the "ba-na-na-na" when she jumps.

Writing on sci-fi is so hit or miss though. How many crazy government conspiracies and unknown pasts can there be? If the show avoids those pitfalls, it might have potential. If not, well at least we can mock it.

7. Blackadder1

Blackadder1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    It's probably in the works somewhere. Personally, I'd much rather see something original come out as opposed to all these remakes of old shows and movies.

Lindsay Wagner was good in Bionic Woman and the producers focused on the plots with her bionics as a supplement (like the time she chopped veggies very fast as she was watching a Julia Childs show). I fear that this one will focus more on the bionics instead. However, I'll give it a try once or twice.

8. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, so I'll just assume it's not and say...

Really? Huh. It's more of a thing for the character of Starbuck, but I do think the actress is mighty fine. And funny and personable in real life, too, but too girly for me. I'd love to just hang out with KS and chat, but Starbuck? I'd like to more than chat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.