main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Montréal The new James Bond

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by space_dragon, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. space_dragon

space_dragon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I've seen the movie after the salon de l'auto.

It's starts well with a fallen agent story. Until about half of it, when it falls to the old styles.

The new part is that he has trouble with the girls, gets his ass kicked and says a lot of cheezy double meaning sentences.

Some effects are too much, even for Bond. Should not have given a computer to the producers for birthday. It's the first one with computer effects.

It's good for a good laugh. [face_devil]

Not the best Bond thought.

2. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Nah, not the first Bond with computer effects. All of those space scenes in previous episodes weren't shot on location, y'know. 8-}

There's a lot of computer stuff in every movie that people don't notice until one is obvious. But the rest is still invisible. :)

3. space_dragon

Jun 25, 2002
    I took that info from "La Presse".

I was just as surprised that they hadn't used computers yet.

4. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    Perhaps they're talking about a specific effect... Cause they sure have used CG elements before.

5. space_dragon

Jun 25, 2002
    Here's the quote :

"Les effets numériques, qui font leur apparition pour une toute première fois dans l'univers de James Bond ..."

Not every producers like computers effects.

If you look at the Lord of the Rings' bonus material, you'll see that they're used on a last resort basis.

The formers James Bond sure had extreme cascades. But it was nothing that couldn't be done by a stunt man. Space scenes can be done without computers.

6. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    I have to disagree. I'm thinking GoldenEye here. Maybe the satellite was a model, in which case they used a computer to composite it against the space background. The latter could be CG, or could be footage from NASA. But the composite, if there was only this, was made thanks to a computer.
    I don't remember if we see the GoldenEye shoot some kind of ray, but if it does, computer again.
    The scene in which they watch a satellite image of Natalia running away from the bunker. That image was modified with a computer.

In The World is not Enough, the scene in which we see a hologram of Robert Carlyle's character (bad guy). CG again.

Not to mention the opening sequences. ;)

I agree that they are used on last resort, but there is just so many things done on a computer that we don't notice. Either the journalist was talking of a specific effect, either he (she) is wrong.
    That, or I'm too nitpicky. ;)

7. space_dragon

Jun 25, 2002
    I agree that the composite images probably used a computer. Then again, you don't absolutely need a computer to do those.

My point is just, that I don't recall any effects that cannot be done without CGI or computers.

The original Star Wars trilogy (I mean the first versions) weren't using CGI effects. And they had ray guns and holograms.

Finally, I don't have hard facts to argue with the newspaper. So...

8. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    Yeah, useless debate. :)

9. space_dragon

Jun 25, 2002
    Not useless.

It's good to remind ourselves that computers can't do everything.

It still haven't managed to equal the beauty of a woman I know.

10. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    no, I meant useless to argue here about which shot used computers in which Bond, blah blah blah.
    Absolutely not useless to say computers can't do everything. Lots of stuff made on a computer today should still be made as a visual effect on set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.