main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The New Jedi Order: Still polarizing? Or has it fared better over time?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BoromirsFan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Which raises the question what else doess?

Since the PT happend at the same time, one can actually just as easly place the blame on that. Surly Aotc must have driven more people of than the NJO ever could. ;)

That honor still goess to the "Dark Times" (~18 to 3 BBY) and the several thousand years between the PT and Kotor.

They literally produced nothing for LOTF or FOTJ, which was current at the time, which is way more telling. The Vong got numerous mentions, got their own Miniatures, their background expanded further, plot and adventure ideas etc. Plus older Wotc stuff already had tons of Vong material that could easily be adapted for Saga.

A Supplement which happend to include a lot of Vong stuff. ;)

Pff Vong ships are effing beautiful against PT designs, especially since they can look pretty much anyway they want to, since they are grown.

I recommend the exact opposite actually, read it now and see how cool it is, in case JJA really messes it up like he did Star Trek. Alone just to have more to blame him for. :D

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Other than Jacen, the videos looking back at ROTS and the action sequences I don't care for them. I like Jacen in DNT even if he is a brat at times. Seeing things from ROTS was awesome. The action sequences were great. The rest of the characters? Not so much. Jaina and Zekk were ruined for me. Disgraceful.

3. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    That's funny because the ROTS flashbacks were the only parts of the DNT books that bored me. I already know what happened in ROTS . . . i've seen it a dozen times!
    Jaina and Zekk were very annoying, i'll give you that.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If read together, I reckon the 'Tragedy of Jacen Solo' arc runs fairly well. Billing it as three separate arcs probably not so much.

To the OP; the NJO polarised like hell at the time, thus the step-back from the Yuuzhan Vong when DNT and LotF were being planned and written. Next thing Del Rey knows, TUF is a massive incredible hit and they realise they could have done a bit more with the Yuuzhan Vong and we get Legacy and then Invasion. I am adamant that TUF blew them out of the water... it certainly did the fandom.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked them because I always wanted to see how Luke and the rest would react to all that stuff. The R2 and finding a part that will help him show the scenes and the Alema playing head games with them with that one video irked me. Jaina and Zekk acting like whatever it was they were acting like was annoying. They were to be the characters of the next generation that would lead the story in the future? Oh boy.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I am about to start a DNT/LOTF/MF/FOTJ and the Kemp books read through. Will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

7. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Yeah I wished they killed Jaina instead . . .

Why keep her alive and kill off all the interesting characters?

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I loved Jaina in the NJO but after? Meh.

Chilla likes this.
  9. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Oh my lord, I forgot all about the R2's Funniest Home Videos subplot. I was going to say that that's the worst plot device I've ever seen stuffed into a Star Wars book for the sake of pandering to people to saw the movie that just came out, but as I was writing that I remembered the way Boba Fett was written in TUF, so never mind.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Boba Fett in TUF wasn't that bad to me. I liked that Fett helped them out.

11. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    I didn't have a problem with him being there or helping them out. If that was all he did I would have liked it. I did have a problem with everything else he did and said being antithetical to his entire character just because AOTC had recently come out, though.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    :confused:Huh? I don't really remember the conversation over the comm but don't remember any of that.

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    APM was so much worse in that regard [face_sigh]

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Depends. What's your view on bug orgies?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    [​IMG]

But of course we saw Jango's face in AOTC, and since Boba is his clone we obviously have to throw years of characterization out the window so we can get more horrible schlock like this:

[​IMG]

Note to Star Wars authors: just because we know what Boba Fett looks like now, doesn't mean the character would start acting any differently.

Then Luceno also included a line where Fett tells Han that he never had anything against him and his vendetta was always against the Jedi, even though he has never killed a single Jedi in his life and spent decades hunting Han for no reason. But a Jedi killed his father in that movie that just came out, so we have to go in this direction now. I love Luceno and TUF is a great book but this scene makes me weep.

I'm picking on TUF because this is an NJO thread, it's just a small cameo that doesn't really do too much harm to the character overall, since he was rarely written consistently to begin with. It wasn't until LOTF and TFU2 that he was ruined forever.

I haven't read the whole thing, just the beginning parts that establish a timeline that is totally out of sync with the NJO books it is supposed to be concurrent with. Does he spend every waking moment crying about his father who's been dead for fifty years despite never having any similar lingering emotional issues in any of the stories that featured him before AOTC came out?

16. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I have no idea whay you mean?
    I can't recall Boba Fett acting out of character at all in TUF

oh yeah lol

good point

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell.

I was turned off from those books by stories of Mara Jade calling Anakin "creepy" and she and Luke talking about Thrawn's awesomeness 10 years after he died.

Yeah...no. If any of this information has truth in it, I'll be avoiding those books.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh. That. That makes sense now. I can see your point but how can Fett go 40-50 years without someone seeing him normally? The comment about Han being a side irritant and having a vendetta against the Jedi was out there.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    anakinfansince1983 I believe you were referring to Survivor's Quest when you mentioned the part about Mara and Luke having an intimate conversation regarding Thrawn.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, my bad, Denning wouldn't mention Thrawn.

And I'll be skipping Survivor's Quest, it was all I could do to get through Outbound Flight.

I liked Tatooine Ghost; it's too bad I haven't seen much of any good commentary on DNT.

22. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    There are stories where he has his helmet off, but usually it's when he's alone or because he has to do it for a job, and even then there are usually very few witnesses or he has his face obscured some other way. Going out in public without his mask should be a really big deal for him, and TUF doesn't treat it like that. Bloodlines (I think?) kind of does, but in the same breath it also turns around and says that he's never been seen in public without it before, when he already had in TUF.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Haven't they changed a couple things like that? In the TCW tv series from stuff in ROTS. They can't limit themselves to past stuff or some such nonsense. That is indeed a major point in Fett's life. I think that the TUF mention was forgotten on purpose to get away from the NJO or it might have been a honest oversight. I have no idea.

24. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    All sorts of continuity changed with the prequels.
    If that's the biggest continuity complaint you have regardging Boba Fett . . . then count yourself lucky lol

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Because DNT reads like adult books from some other series, with Star Wars characters and setting shoehorned in after the fact. The prose is mostly good (although Salon is the new Efflux) but the characterizations are problematic, there are a number of odd continuity gaffes, several scenes that just do not fit with the star wars style, and pet characters tend to receive more attention than they really merit. Plus, it introduced Flowwalking/time travel, hive-mind/assimilation, nanotech, and negative space wedgies to a setting which had mostly avoided those aspect of sci-fi/fantasy.

The NJO objectively still has some problems with pacing, consistancy, characterization, and killing off half the roster of B-list characters while only adding a few of note, but the violence and deaths were more meaningful than gratuitous, it tried to take things in a relatively new direction, and despite some dropped plot threads, it wrapped up with a decently satisfying ending.

Objectively it is no better, but nostalga helps, and comparing it to DNT, LotF, and FotJ, it stands much better by comparison.