main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The New Jedi Order: Still polarizing? Or has it fared better over time?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BoromirsFan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    RK! Long time no see! :)

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Now that I look back, there were quite a lot of dull and repetitive moments in the NJO. But I think the reason I kept going through it was that I had read a bunch of spoilers on the internet about all these epic battles against the Vong, and also because the NJO was really my first foray into the EU so I had nothing else to compare it to. Overall though I'd still say I have a positive impression of the series.

I always read that line as a bit of humor on Fett's part. Didn't think he actually meant it seriously.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Boba Fett having a sense of humor would still be out of character.

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Hi. I've been busy with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. :)

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Bobafett does have a sense of hunmor, it's just very dry

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Adding to this because I just finished Dark Tide I: Onslaught. I thought about doing a full review of that book but all the threads on it are locked.

Anyway...the Vong. Such incredibly well-done villains; they shun machinery and technology but manage to use biology to develop their weapons, which is far creepier. The mini-coralskippers growing on vines gave me goosebumps; I had to put the book down for several minutes. The slaves, particularly the detailed descripton of the beating of the slave to death, and the Embrace of Pain were really dark but again, well-done and established the Vong as threats that I still don't know how the New Republic is going to escape from...

...especially since the New Republic politicians, Leia aside, are such head-in-the-sand idiots that they'd rather complain about the Jedi and Leia being power-mongers than actually look into a problem.

I wish there was a possibility of using the Vong as the villains in the ST but I'm not holding my breath.

The Battle of Dantooine was really exciting, and sad, knowing how many they lost.

I know Han is having a really hard time but I'm surprised he's let himself go so badly; I'm not blaming him, I'm just surprised. And that brings me to my one complaint about the book: Mara and Anakin on Dantooine, Anakin thinking about his father and asking "Why can't he be more like Aunt Mara?" Seriously? OK, Mara is supposed to be soooo strong, fighting her disease...yeah yeah yeah, I guess I'm supposed to care, I don't. And Anakin, really? Shut the **** up before I come through the page and slap you. "Aunt Mara" didn't just watch her best friend of 40 years get murdered, you numb****.

Anyway, this was my first Stackpole book, and aside from Mara I was impressed. And you all said this was one of the duller ones?

krtmd and Gorefiend like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Onslaught was a damn good book, a little too bloody at times for my liking and here, at least, there is some reason for political scepticism - although there was the little matter of Sernpidal going up in smoke, planets don't get destroyed by their moons everyday! It's definitely one of the better NJO books and is one of the select few I've retained.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I must say, I really like book 7 of NJO. The Anakin here is very interesting and even the Vong become much more nuanced. The crafters and the shamed ones are definitely more interesting than the warrior caste.

kataja likes this.
  9. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    The NJO is and will always be my favorite period of the EU. It's where I started really reading Star Wars and getting to know characters. I admit I did read it out of order starting wtih latter half (Force Heretic) and finishing up to SbS, then going back and doing a complete reread. So far it is the only series I have read more than once.

I may be in the minority on this too but the Force Heretic series is my favorite part, with Traitor being the exception and I think these four are so great because the war is really the back drop and the characters are the main focus. We are seeing how all of these different worlds are handling the war and just how far some will go to spare their people. Plus they feature Jacen heavily and he is my favorite EU character.

Force Smuggler and SiouxFan like this.
  10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't think it matters anymore. When Episode 7 is released its most likely that this will be written off. I did and still enjoy the NJO, but I don't see it part of the canon portion anymore after the next movie comes out.

11. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    You don't know the power of the retcon.

SiouxFan likes this.
  12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    As a BIG Han fan, this was hard reading for me. But his climb back was a lot of fun to read, IMO.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Since he's Han, I'm assuming that he struggles for awhile/stays drunk for awhile and then finds his way back.

Hopefully someone muzzles his kid until that happens.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, well.... On that point.... Er....

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I thought it was great to see Han so devastated, it's ******* Han, almost nothing gets that guy down, so it had all the more impact to see despair from someone who usually gives you a cocky smile and a sarcastic remark before diving right back into impossible odds.

darth fluffy and instantdeath like this.
  16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Thrawn McEwok once described Edge of Victory I as the perfect Star Wars novel, IIRC. It really is a fantastic book, and is probably the point where the series really starts to come into its own. It's also one of Greg Keyes' sadly few contributions to the EU.

kataja and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It was downright painful to read, precisely because Han has never seen a level of despair that made him react that way. :(

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Greg Keyes' novels were amazing. He needs to come back.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm two chapters into Ruin now and damn, Kyp Durron is an ass. I didn't remember that from Vector Prime.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I actually think it's one of the better ones, though not one of the best (the best is yet to come). Dark Tide is probably the highlight of the stretch from the first hardcover, Vector Prime, to the second hardcover, Balance Point. The Agents of Chaos duology coming up after Dark Tide is also excellent (and even Balance Point and Vector Prime tend to be somewhat underrated, IMO), but it appeals to a more particular taste, and I can see how some would find it duller than the upcoming stretch.

Zeta1127, krtmd and CT-867-5309 like this.
  21. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I still cringe, though, when I think of how sadly ignored Greg Keyes's "The Final Prophecy" was insofar as Tahiri went. How many authors tried to redeem her character, make her move on, and have her do something positive, only for her to be horribly misused later.

At any rate, I admired Greg Keyes's work in NJO, and the obvious respect he had for other people's pet characters, like Corran Horn or Talon Karrde. I would highly recommend his non-Star Wars work as well.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    This, this, this. As a self-professed Tahiri fan, I consider Keyes Tahiri (and TFP Tahiri in particular) to be the definitive Tahiri; tough, smart, with a fun sense of humor, someone whose inner demons are, if not totally defeated, at least at a manageable level, with her Vong side a prominent and well-explored part of her character. Oh yeah, and while TFP Tahiri is still clearly haunted by Anakin's death, her grief is not the defining thrust of her personality. Unfortunately, the LOTF team basically dialed her back to Force Heretic I-II Tahiri, in other words her weakest and most vulnerable (though FH-Tahiri had the excuse of being under mental siege from the emotionally-unstable Vong warrior living in her subconscious, something LOTF-Tahiri can't say), undoing pretty much everything Keyes (and Williams and Dix, for that matter) sunk into her character in order to turn her into a shadow of herself that Jacen could manipulate with visions of Anakin into becoming his apprentice. Now, I'm not opposed to Dark!Tahiri on principle- TFP-Tahiri had a pretty obvious and un-Jedi-like bloodthirsty streak- but IMO the character from the late NJO books would never have fallen for such an obvious and frankly clumsy attempt at manipulation.

Sorry for the rant, but what LOTF did to one of my favorite characters really ticks me off. Still, seconding the love for Keyes' NJO entries if the next big arc had him as one of the authors, I'd feel a whole lot more positive about it ('specially if the other two were some combination of Allston, Stover, Zahn, or Stackpole... sigh...)

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed 100%! The only way I want a dark Tahiri is if she was with a fallen Anakin Solo or if she was overtaken by the Vong side and Anakin redeemed her.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh you're gonna love a certain scene in Edge of Victory II.

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Kyp can be written all over the place by the authors. 2nded about a certain scene from EOV II [face_devil]