main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The New Jedi Order: Still polarizing? Or has it fared better over time?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BoromirsFan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Someone hates something I like, they must be idiots!

You lost me with the first sentence even before you began gushing about the series.

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    But the rest of the post is inspiring!

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Apparently, the NJO is still polarizing.

4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Maybe so. If you want me to recognize the NJOs merits starting your argument with an insult is still a bad idea.

ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well if you hate the Vong on principle without knowing anything about them, that is pretty dumb.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not really. If you don't care for invasion stories then you're likely going to loathe the Vong as the agents on that basis alone.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You should still give them a chance. You won't know if you like something unless you give it a chance. If you don't give something a chance you won't know what you are missing. Don't listen to others opinions. Do whatever it is and make your own opinions.

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't hate the Vong on principle. I forced myself to read through ten books of the series and in total I only really liked about two of them. I can hardly motivate myself to continue. Don't you think I have already given this enough of a chance?

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Its more like the people that have only read one book or so. Enemy Lines duology, Traitor and The Unifying Force await still.

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I heard this before. "Oh, wait until you get to the good parts. You will love Star by Stars. Just continue and you will be richly rewarded. Blablabla."

If I continue, it will be by my own choice and not because of some empty promise.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm on the fifth book and I love the Vong, they're my favorite aspect of the series.

Before I started reading the NJO, I read on this forum that if you don't like Vector Prime, you probably won't like the rest of the series. I would hate to think that anyone feels they have to read 7-8 books before it gets good.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Except that's what we do every day, quite often when deciding what to buy and read and watch, especially when money's tight. We go by recommendations, critic reviews, personal experience with an author or other - for instance is there any point ploughing through the NJO when you know DR had so little confidence in their work they flushed the post-TUF status quo away faster than you could blink? (I know A1983's probably going to have an interesting answer on this one!)

Also, time is an investment like any other.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Publishers are all about the bottom line as any other business is, and are about nothing but the bottom line, which differentiates them from any other field dealing with books. Maybe DR saw that there was nowhere to go with the Big Three when most of the younger generation characters were either dead or Dark Siders?

I think most of us take recommendations from either people we know personally or book reviewers that we trust; I've learned of a few books that I'm not going to bother with, including the post-NJO, because I haven't been given reason to think I'd like it and I have a hard time stopping a book in the middle even if it's terrible. As you said, time is an investment. Few of us have time to read everything out there, even everything out there that is Star Wars.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yet it was DR that made those moves, apparently as part of a plan!

I'm far from NJO's biggest fan but TUF set up an interesting post-event status quo, I don't get why they'd then throw that out given the amount of work they put in to get there.

15. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I read all of the NJO series and I still hate the series and the Vong. I liked TUF, but I still feel that the series was too dark and negative, and depressing. It started the downward spiral of the post-RotJ EU, in my opinion. Things have never recovered.

Darth_Pevra and Darth_Foo like this.
  16. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Part of the issue with the NJO is that is was, as a project, too large. To those people who really dislike the series, all of the things they hate about it are there from relatively early in Vector Prime, and then they keep on going or thousands of pages. In creating the NJO, Del Rey made an extremely risky bet - they went all in on a massive biotech alien invasion that placed the whole galaxy in peril and occupied such a scale it was pre-destined to take a dozen books or more.

Whatever the literary merits of that bet, it did not pay off economically. The evidence is in the choices made since the NJO was completed. No books published during the war, no video games, no comics until Invasion. The period, despite having massive amounts of room, was abandoned. If it really had a durable economic appeal, that would have never happened. I mean, Del Rey keeps going back to the New Republic and Clone Wars eras, it is only the NJO that's left fallow.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

So wait, if an era remains untouched and unvisited it's not economically successful? How about the entire Bantam run? Let's see what they've done with that since 1999- three books, a third part of a comic, and two video games. Now, as much as we all love the Saga of Katarn, in the long run those games don't have a huge impact on much. Crimson Empire? As self-contained as a work can get; Scourge even more so. Yet what works are constantly cited as some of the best of any SW books? That's right, the Thrawn trilogy, X-Wing series, and the Hand of Thrawn duology. (YMMV, of course)

And Del Rey only went back to the Clone Wars era because of the hugely successful animated show running at the time. But that era's a mess anyway, and probably won't get any more expansions any time soon.

Yes, the powers-that-be decided to take the post-NJO storyline in very different directions than a good amount of fans thought it would go in; but does that mean the NJO was a failure? Absolutely not. If Del Rey wanted to forget the NJO ever happened, they wouldn't have let the authors constantly reference events from the NJO. They'd have gone back to the New Republic era, or the Rebellion era. As it stands, the Rebellion era is almost as messy as the Clone Wars era.

I wonder, what is an economically successful era? Because from my point of view, Del Rey, Dark Horse, etc., seem to be all over the place with stories, including the ****ing NJO. Do I have to bring up the NJO's influence on Legacy?

Really, five years isn't even that large an amount of time, compared to the 20+ years of the GCW, or the 13 or so years of the TPM-ROTS era.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Of all the things wrong with the NJO, taking a huge risk and actually trying something creative and ambitious is not one of them.

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    "Ambition" is certainly not a word that's applied often to tie-in fiction, and that alone is worth no small measure of respect. I can't speak for the NJO's quality myself, considering the minor fact that I haven't actually read it, but to me the NJO seemed to be the publishers actually trying to take a step forward with the franchise. Instead of having each book carry the events of the films on their shoulders, create an entirely new era of Star Wars, one that doesn't even attempt to regurgitate what readers are already used to.

In addition, the NJO brought it some great new writers that have sustained the franchise. Can anyone say Stover and Luceno?

I also don't think the fact that the NJO isn't an era that's constantly revisited is necessarily a bad thing; let it stand alone as a series.

20. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    Something of a strawman but I'll play along. I think you misunderstand me, to an extent. I certainly do not begrudge people enjoying something I don't or disliking something I enjoy. When I speak bluntly in this matter, it is one part melodrama, the other holistic.

The Star Wars Expanded Universe has never been good, as a whole. This includes the Bantam era, NJO itself, and what followed it up until today. Some things are inspired, some are silly pulp fun, but a great deal of it is just...bad. So, I look at the anger about the NJO...and I will outright admit you are in your rights to point out that my perspective may not be entirely without personal affect... but at the same time I also am looking at it within the context of the entire EU, particularly what follows. And I see things far more problematic than the NJO ever was.

As a side note, I will state that NJO not even my favorite, large media project that the EU's engaged in. That distinction actually belongs to Shadows of the Empire.

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Sadly, I don't give a flying hoot about the context of the rest EU. I know there's a lot of nonsense in it which is why I don't particularly care about its state. If something good crops up, and this happens frequently, I buy and enjoy it. But that's it.

I also don't begrudge the ambition involved in NJO. I even have some respect for it. But bottom line for me is that I can't enjoy the end product. I may reread Conquest one day but none of the other novels up to Dark Journey.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, what's got you so interested in Conquest DP?

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The limited return to the NJO doesn't mean that it was a flop. The whole predicate of the NJO, as a product, was that the consumers wanted a focus on a cohesive story pushing the timeline forward. The biggest interest in the post-ROTJ era is in "what happens next?" The decisions since have followed that strategy -- the narrative keeps pushing forward rather than going back to fill in the gaps. That's where the post-ROTJ effort is concentrated. When non-storyline-pushing Big Three stories are thrown in, they tend to be placed near the movies not because the NJO is specifically unsuccessful, but because those stories are targeting a more casual reader who just wants fun Big Three adventures like in the movies, and setting them in the movie era trades on that familiarity.

Sure, the NJO hasn't been touched by much of anything except Invasion since it ended -- but the thing about the NJO was that it was a mostly self-contained big narrative that told as much of the story it had to tell as possible; it isn't as conducive to one-off adventures as other eras, but it still does allow for more stories, as Invasion has showed. It's just a matter of time; it hasn't been that long. Since the Bantam era closed down, it's only gotten four novels. The comics haven't touched Bantam since the nineties, save the belated Crimson Empire sequel and the Rogue Leader arc thrown off to fill out an Omnibus. There just isn't a lot of going back, and you have to give the going back time. It doesn't prove that the NJO was in any way a bad economic bet, any more than any other EU era.

RC-1991 likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    X-Wing Mercy Kill is also a very effective demonstration of what can be done with a return to the Vong/NJO era.

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think it did a fine job developing Anakin and Tahiri, having me actually invest into Anakins future. It also got me interested into the Vong shaper caste or Vua Rapuung. It included some real internal conflict in Vong culture, having them appear much more multi-facetted than they were before. Suddenly they appeared more like a real people instead of the evil to the core pants they were before. I also liked the smaller scale conflict in this. Planetary annihilation plots have become boring at this point. The smaller, much more personal struggle of Conquest had me interested in the outcome for the characters I now cared about. I also find the idea of a half human half Vong character very interesting and find it sad this promising storyline was supposedly dropped later.