main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The New Jedi Order: Summary

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gorfy, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    I think it's a (fairly) realistic portrayal of a fall to the Dark side and some much-needed screentime for Jaina. :cool: That plus Jag Fel.

Amon_Amarth and Iron_lord like this.
  2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah but its not the book you want at the time. I remember bring upset at the time with no Jacen or like in the novel

3. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    Yeah...well, I read the NJO for the first time in the most ridiculously topsy-turvy way, so that kind of passed me by.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We're never going to agree on much about NJO JM, but yeah, DJ is not what people were wanting in the immediate aftermath of SBS!

JediMatteus likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I was cool with Jacen not being in DJ. Annoying yes but I could handle the mystery of it. Plus I wanted to see how Jaina would handle it all. Character study for her like Traitor was for Jacen even though DJ was nowhere near as good as Traitor was.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A character study is fine in principle but the placement for it was utterly off! SbS, due to its cataclysmic events, pretty much demanded an equally wide-scale pick-up then character studies.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

*pouty* Traitor is.

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah Traitor should have been next, then maybe DJ

9. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    What EU/LEU needed/needs was/is Jaina's Traitor.
    Tbh, I enjoyed DJ. Would have worked the best if there was perhaps another book between it and SBS. It's a decent character study and it isn't an unreasonable description of dealing with the inner Dark Side in dark times. But it should have been more Traitor-esque.

Late to the DNT party
    It was supposed to add to the "tragedy" of RotS and give closure to Luke and Leia on their family tree (once PT was out), so I can see why they went for that plot point. But it just turned out very poor. Guess we can only thank Lucas for those lines in the first place. I was reading DNT as it came out and considering the events of LotF, I'm not sure how to feel about Jacen's flow-walking now.

10. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I never liked Jacen's flow-walking ability but that's because I don't like time travel (or things time manipulation) outside of stories designed for it. Dr.Who is about a Time Lord so of course it's fine there, and I'll make an exception for when it happens in 40k because it's not even a blip on the radar considering the insanity of that setting. But it feels out of place in the Star Wars.

11. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Well, that is part of the probem. The Jedi act, as if they learned nothing during the events that make up the NJO and worse, they appear like and behave more and more like the Jedi of the Prequel-era (which was supposed to be their low-point, but Denning missed this particular memo).

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd say Enemy Lines should have followed SbS, as Traitor needs time to have gone by to work - ie. Vong terraforming of Coruscant and moon-smashing.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.