main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Info The new, minimally improved Introduction to Social Groups and Threads: Version 3.0

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic 'Introduction to Social Groups and Threads'. This thread will be that introduction. Better than it was before. Better... stronger... faster... more sociable".

Hi there, newbie people persons... are you interested in socializing with other Star Wars fans? Would you like an opportunity to meet and interact with insightful, interesting people? Are you hoping to fall in love and start a family with some random person you meet over the internet? Do you enjoy long walks on the beach? We cannot promise that you will find any of those things, but we do recommend that you start your journey by familiarizing yourself with our varying social groups & threads.

In this convenient thread, we will attempt to introduce you to the groups, communities, and other random nutters who we cohabitate with in our exciting online life here around the boards.

If you consider yourself a sociopath (... I am rather positive that's the correct term for people who enjoy socializing...), look no further than this thread for your invitation to become one of us...
    [​IMG]
    ONE OF US!!! ONE OF US!!!

NEW PERSONS: First up is the Welcome New Users "social" thread, conveniently found here: Newbie Welcome Party. Meant for you... the newly indoctrinated. But, also home to a gaggle of oldbies, midbies, formerly banned-bies , and every level of participant that you will eventually encounter if you choose to become active in our diverse communities. This is a slower paced social thread than most others due to less traffic, but also to allow an environment that is simple to keep up with if anyone requires time to adjust to the thrill-fest that is the JCForums.
    For any new members who happen to not use what passes around here as "English" as a primary language, the WNU social scene is a harmless, forgiving place to work out any kinks in your translating programs before venturing further.

COMMUNITIES: The Jedi Council Forums offer multiple Community areas for everything from general discussion about anything and everything non-Star Wars to very specific communities designated for various areas of interest such as politics, the Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, opportunities to connect with people in your area through your local FanForce, as well as communities dedicated solely to discussing the Clone Wars cartoon, and other such concepts that I am getting too tired to be bothered typing. This is supposed to be an "introduction", not a freakin lexicon...

Your climb to the top of our social ladder begins here:

General Non-SW Community
    Star Wars-Specific Community
    SW Expanded Universe Community
    All area FanForce boards are accessible from the main navigation site

Most areas of the site have their own "Social Thread", which will be marked accordingly in its title, but will also be recognizable from the content...

In our next exciting installment, we will have a crash course in the many "Groups" that coexist here and will inevitably attempt to recruit you. There will also be a mini-lecture on why 85% of the people who live on here can all acknowledge each other on a first name basis... Example: Hi. My name is Mike, but Sabine & Natalie often call me Myke. See what I did there...?

Tune in next time... same Bat-time... same Bat-channel...

Lady Belligerent and Skiara like this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "ALL HAIL BLUE YODA"!!!
    If the above statement makes absolutely zero sense to you, it is more than likely because you are unfamiliar with the multitude of diverse social groups which have called our boards home since the dawn of TheForce.net. In this latest exciting installment of Introduction to Social Groups & Threads, we will make a valiant attempt to familiarize each of you with the concept of our many fraternities and the oddballs who inhabit them. Social Groups are fun, inviting, and help to build an identity for yourself as you type your fingers to the bone while discussing your favorite franchise.

In the interest of fairness and... much more importantly... to not restrict the content of this informative, insightful, inspired tutorial to any specific period in time we will share with you examples from the past... groups which are no longer as active as they once were, while using these examples to demonstrate your current opportunities and to demonstrate how to become a member of one of our tribes.

The odds are rather high that if you have been involving yourself in our thrilling, life changing boards that you have likely been approached and/or recruited by a catfish creepy fat old guy posing as a hot young person "Sith" or "Jedi" or a "Rebel Pilot" or other such pop culture icons relating to Star Wars or other such series of interest... prompting you to consider joining their ranks. Almost all of our Social Groups have recognizable titles for their organizations, which will (nearly without fail) appear in their members' signature at the bottom of each of their posts. If they have a nickname or rank within their particular society, it will be presented as a badge of honor in their signature as well. Not only are our groups accepting and fun, they can really add a lot to a person's experience on here.

As I was saying above: "All Hail Blue Yoda"! For many years, a very active social group known as the Blue Yoda Society held court in a lot of our discussions and boast an impressive membership. And, it all started with one ridiculous "speculation" post that some poor soul named ChewyCharmy shared on here regarding an upcoming Star Wars film.

So, as you scurry off to feverishly post whatever completely irrational imagining that you think sounds wonderful in your own head about what may or may not happen in upcoming Star Wars films... be forewarned that your lamest ideas may live on in infamy on this site. And, not in a particularly good way. But, at least you may end up with a cult devoted to your crazy idea. The BYS also grew to have message boards elsewhere on the interwebz while remaining a strong presence on here for a number of years.

"Join me and together we can bring unproductivity to our real lives".
    [​IMG]

As you begin to build an identity for yourself on here and grow more comfortable with navigating our various subsections and discussion groups, the inevitable will more than likely come to pass. You may find yourself indoctrinated. While each of these 'societies' and organizations will have different names, varying purposes, and... more importantly... differ in how active they remain as well as what offline activities they may gather together for (such as meeting up at conventions or eating pancakes... no... really...), you cannot regularly participate on here without being afforded an opportunity and an invitation to join a group or become friends with members of one of our many societies.

While all Social Groups follow the exact same TERMS OF SERVICE as every other active JCer, each group may have their own general list of guidelines or rules for participation in the society. This not only helps to give each group a sense of defined purpose and unique identity, but also ensures that, as a member, YOU are not being misrepresented by the activity of other members of your group. Each Social Group's "charter" is put into place to make certain that everyone who wishes to join has a fun experience while properly representing your new friends' group name.
    We have Sith, we have Jedi, we have X-Wing Squadrons, we have gamers, we have Sarcasm Knights, Blue Yoda Socialites, mages, vampires, anime fans, LACWAC (check out our television discussions...), a COUNCIL on all things SHINY, pancake enthusiasts... you name it, and there is a Herculean chance that there has been a social group built upon it at some point throughout this site's history. All it will take is one seemingly insignificant joke or event to take place in the midst of an otherwise simple discussion and... just like that... a new group will be born... and you may find yourself there right from the very beginning of it!

A TheForce.net Social Group can be a fun way to form an identity on here as well as afford you an easy stepping stone in building a foundation of friends. Following the crowd is always bad advice... but, so is living on the internet and you've already signed up for that, so... if a member of any of our social groups comes recruiting... inviting you to join their ranks with promises of eternal glory... it is well worth considering.

... and all of this does not even begin to inform you about the "real life" social opportunity waiting for you in your local FanForce!

(Best segue ever...? You know it is...)

Skiara likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    "Wait... you mean I can have friends outside of the interwebz?!?!"

FanForce is the part of TheForce.Net where you meet other fans in your local communities. You can chat online, sure... but what's fantastic (fantastic... zing!) about FanForce is actually meeting these people who live nearby. Most FanForces have meetings... but are also about having fun with other fans. Activities can include group outings to movies, exhibits, BBQs, pool parties, game nights, conventions... whatever you want!

Each FanForce runs itself and decides what they want to do... and somehow manage to accomplish this without Moderators critiquing their posts conversations. A lot of groups help out at charity events, which is great. Some are big into midnight movie screenings, some are heavy into costuming, others like gaming. FanForce is whatever you want it to be. Unless your idea is really terrible... and then it is less of a Fanforce and more of a FanAlone... but, at least you can still make that whatever you want it to be. While Star Wars might bring you together, you'll find that you have many other similar interests as well! You can find out who watches the same TV shows as you and plan weekly viewings or have lengthy discussions about why this season of Doctor Who isn't as good as it used to be. It's just a great place to meet new local friends and have fun together.
    Star Wars fans should be proud to be seen in public with each other!

[​IMG]

If you check out the FanForce boards and realize that there isn't one in your area, the best part is that you can just start one yourself! Post in the regional General Discussion boards and see if you can find others in your area. You only need three people to form a FanForce!

[Thanks to Miana Kenobi for the serious moments of text in this installment... could not do it without you. Literally... I am utterly incapable of being serious...]

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    As someone who posts in the Expanded Universe Community I just thought I'd drop in and extend an invite to anyone who read the Star Wars books! We're always looking for people who like socializing about Star Wars!

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Looks very good! And I'm looking forward to see how you fill up the placeholders. :D

New Members: Don't hesitate to join the various places! The more you post, the more fun you have. In case you have any question, feel free to ask them here in "Welcome New Users" or by sending a conversation (private message = PM) to one of the moderators. Enjoy your stay is the main aim! :)

6. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    A Chorus of Disapproval, sociopath is not the word that you are looking for.

so·ci·o·path

[soh-see-uh-path]
    noun
    a person with a psychopathic personality whose behavior is antisocial, often criminal, and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

Random Comments likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I think you need to look up the definition of 'joke' next.

... and yay tor this thread! Something generated for WNU that is actually informative!

Random Comments likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
  10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Your second post looks good! :D
    Go on!! :D

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Love your third one!! :D

Well done! Well done! =D=

12. Aryctix

Aryctix Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 3, 2019
    @Nehru_Amidala
    Hello everyone I am here to make myself known. I love Star Wars and would love to talk about with all of you. I am into the prequels and ,as you can see, I am a Sith. Message me if you wanna talk about the prequels!

13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Welcome @Aryctix . I would recommend starting a whole new thread in this forum introducing yourself. Otherwise your post wont get the attention it deservers.

@Adalia-Durron

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  14. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Another Sith!?!?? Sheesh!! :p

Like @Bazinga'd said, start your own thread so we can all get to know you better, if you are unsure, just ask. We all are here to help ;)

Aryctix and Bazinga'd like this.
  15. Aryctix

Aryctix Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 3, 2019
    How do I start a thread?

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Follow this link and then at the top of the page on the right you will see a rectangle that says 'Start a new thread', from there you follow your nose. It's really easy!!

17. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Don’t forget to ask the user that adopted you. :)

18. Sean C Holmes

Sean C Holmes Jedi Padawan

May 20, 2021
    Does anyone here miss Star Wars characters Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kaz? What is the time-line for each Star Wars released story as it relates to E. T. the movie? What are the possibilities that Disney is considering a crossover between Star Wars and something else?

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  19. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I think they are questions for a few of the forums here, try asking these questions HERE and HERE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.