main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The New (Mostly) Comprehensive Clone Wars (L-canon?) Timeline

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HEDGESMFG, Mar 18, 2013.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Because there's no need to.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Because there already is a Clone Wars Infinities...

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    As Hedge, there's no need (the whole purpose of this is to save canon, not indiscriminately butcher it), and that it's a fairly good story that's worth saving.

4. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Also, Durge dies in it, which is pretty important in itself.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Quoting me for the timeline connotations.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    so my Altis idea still lives, nice ;) keep it up

7. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    The same Reader's companion also suggests that the events of the old multimedia project fit into 4 weeks, so I remain greatly skeptical of it as a source for common sense with this timeline.

Having said that, I do envision the last Ashoka arc to take place at least 6 months before the war's end, so there's plenty of time for Barriss to receive a pardon, and under the event that she DID receive one, I would further imagine it to be mere weeks at most before order 66, if not days. I leave the order and exact year of each story ambiguous for a reason, so you are free to pick and choose as you wish exactly how much time occurs between each story. I don't plan on changing what I currently have, though.

And of course, the idea that she gets pardoned at all is entirely unconfirmed fanon right now, even if I believe it to be somewhat logical.

pronker likes this.
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    First, thanks for all this. I'd like to rewatch the series this summer and plan to use this chronology. Second, upon rewatch of The Finale, some Rodian who resembles Uncle Onaconda is sitting in the Senate's gallery in the trial scene, and since that guy's been dead and then undead in the show so much, it's even more of a challenge to construct a timeline. :confused:

9. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    How can you tell one Rodian from another? o_O I mean, forget about the fact that they all look more or less the same; we're talking about a species with a custom of copying each other's clothing (I assume Rodian tailors are ubiquitous, whipping up quick copies of Rodian ensembles).

pronker likes this.
  10. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    They all shop at Sears, that's the problem. No, seriously, they haven't eye color differences, but maybe Onaconda's and Lolo's head spikes looked different/present at all? *goes to look*

11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    You could compare them to one in Chal...

12. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Okay, after ten minutes' worth of scholarly research, I'm going with a way to tell Rodians apart as look-alike humans are told apart: earlobes. Farr's are attached and Lolo's are detached. All the other stuff like skin color is a clue, too, because the spikes or mane look similar on Rodians, save for color.[face_monkey]

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Hedge; talk me through your concerns with the four weeks, and I'll see what I can do :) I, in my mind, have the timeline most sorted but I'd like to run things past people too.

14. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    I addressed the issue directly in my first post. My concern with 4 weeks is fairly straightforward, it simply isn't very practical to do, nor is it necessary for the sake of fitting the entirety of TCW's material (especially now that we know the show is ending), nor is it even necessarily the agreed upon consensus at Lucasfilm. Some sources say Anakin was Knighted only 4 weeks into the war, but other sources have been more generous and logical, including Chee himself, who only states that "months" occur before. 4 weeks simply is not enough time to fit even the old EU Padawan only stories into things, and the number of old EU stories that logically can occur post knighting are smaller than I realized. I have already accounted for them and placed them ambiguously during the TCW period where reasonably possible, including much of the Republic Commando series.

Having said that, the majority of stories still seem to work best if they occur before Christophsis, with a natural break fitting in roughly after Dreadnaughts of Rendili, after Anakin gets his scar. The order of the stories, for the most part, makes a surprising amount of sense now and actually flows fairly well when taken in all in order. The key issue is the amount of time dedicated to each period of the war.

To again quote what I said in the first post...

Why should I have to accept a near unworkable 7 weeks scenario when there is no consensus within Lucasfilm on that issue yet? Chee's statement occurs after the Essential Reader's Companion came out, though I do agree (mostly) with the order they place the novels in after Jedi Trial.

Understand that the battle of Jabiim alone was originally supposed to take a few months. That time period will probably still be compressed now in the new timeline (maybe a month at most), but 4 weeks is just... too little time for even the Obi-wan and Anakin only stories that occur. Even 6 months is pushing it, but I can accept that.

Frankly, if I had my way, I would actually put Anakin's Knighting at month 12, Dreadnaughts of Rendili at month 13, then Christophsis shortly after that, with roughly 3 months for every season of TCW leading to Season 5 ending somewhere around month 30, and the bonus content being spread through the final months, but since Lucasfilm probably wants at least some stories in 22BBY, I will instead give the old material at least 6 months of time, ideally somewhere between 6 and 9 months. I remain firm on this stance. I also believe that if TCW had've continued uninterrupted, it would've covered events right up to Ep III's time, so seasons 6-8 would've occurred in the last 6 months of the war rather naturally.

In short, the goal of this timeline is to preserve the original order of stories where possible, prevent any stories from being tossed out where possible (which amazingly we have succeeded at so far), ensure that each story has as much time as can reasonably be given, and paint one long coherent string of events that covers a now fairly crowded, but detailed, 3 year time period. I believe the timeline I have now has successfully done that, and while it is of course not official, I really somehow hope Lucasfilm logically decides to do something similar to this. If they don't we're likely to lose a lot of the old canon, and that is simply unnecessary, and is something they have NOT yet said they intend to do.

15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I would definitely put Yoda: Dark Rendezvous pre-Anakin's knighting, and before TCW. The New Essential Chronology has Anakin knighted after the Vjun mission. The novel itself has Obi-Wan outright calling Anakin "padawan", like in the quote: "Nonattachment is a fundamental precept of the Order, Padawan. You knew that when you signed up."

Anakin then teases whether Obi-Wan has someone in his past in the novel, which makes even less sense if he already knew about Satine. I feel the 19 BBY date for Yoda: Dark Rendezvous in the Essential Reader's Companion is definitely in error, if only because it has Asajj working for Dooku again during this time, when TCW indicates otherwise.

16. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Disagree about YDR being pre-Knighting, but I think it does unfortunately need to be moved back from where TERC has it, probably to pre-Obsession.

17. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    I see that the latest Chronicling the Clone Wars disagrees with your list. However, I think your list makes more sense.

18. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    Weird... The list I used was supposedly sourced from a book that I thought I read revealed his planned. Oh well. A minor tweak that really doesn't affect anything. Everything else matches. I guess I might have to change some episodes as his list goes along. I'll make the tweaks later.

As for YDR, It's already pre-obsession on the list, but post knighting. Again, probably somewhere in the late s2 early s3 time period. I still very much see it as a post knighting story, especially with it's originally established 19BBY dating. We may never know exactly, but I don't think we need to either. I'd like to leave it placed there in the s2 to early s3 period.

pronker likes this.
  19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    My bad, I thought that section was just stories with uncertain placement lumped together toward the end.

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    There is a Insider story called Speaking Silently. It features Rex and clones in phase II armour so I would place it around season four or five or even after.

HEDGESMFG likes this.
  21. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    Thanks for the tip. I will eventually be updating this now that a more definitive episode chronology is available, though I may wish to wait a bit longer. The bonus content may yet still offer a few continuity... surprises for us to deal with (Valorum possible unexpected survival will be a fun one to figure out, though I'd be more likely to keep the previous story in the same timeline placement.)

P.S. Flattered to see Mr. Fry lurking in this thread. Nice to know someone in the know is bored enough to watch me beat my head against a wall over this all.

Lazy Storm Trooper and pronker like this.
  22. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Does Barriss really need to receive a pardon? Maybe her dying during Order 66 will be retconned...

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    L-canon is a failure, this kind of all inclusive mentality is what made it so easy for them to contradict whatever they wanted to and let the EU pick up the pieces.

25. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    We heard you the first 500 times. I fail to comprehend why you must repeat yourself with almost no variation in nearly every single thread where this type of matter is discussed. Repeating the same thing over and over again does not make your opinion reality, no more than us attempting it makes "L-Canon" reality, it remains an opinion.

You've already stated once in this thread why you think this is a waste of time. Your opinion is noted, as it always has been. I've argued with you before. I don't even seek to change your mind, and I respect your personal canon choice. I personally disagree, but I will politely ask you to refrain from repeating yourself if you have nothing new to contribute in this thread.