main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The NEW official Hayden vs Shaw thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Lars_Muul, Mar 4, 2010.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I know, right? Why THAT was ever tinkered-with, I'll never know.

2. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    double post...oops!

3. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    ^Join the club. THAT was just a waste of time & energy that could have been used for more important aspecs like ANAKIN'S GHOST for example. Lucas decided to"clean" Han's image instead of trying to bring more consistency to the Saga:(...*sigh* ...go figue!

4. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Shaw over Hayden.
    Otherwise, it looks like Anakin gets rewarded for being a Sith for two decades.
    If anything, he should look MORE withered than Yoda and Kenobi combined.

5. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    o_O Trying to persuade me?

[face_laugh] Good point! But Hayden makes better sense to me as I explained in my reasons in my original post. How is that a reward for Anakin? if anything is a punishment if you really think about it and for all we know it could be Luke's interpretation of his father's ghost as far as story context, however, the execution could've been much, much better.

6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    How is that a reward? How about this...
    How would you prefer to look for ALL enternity?

Nobody in their right mind would say: Just like creaky, old Yoda.

:D

7. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    I highly doubt Anakin had a choise in the matter.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

That's for sure! Than again there's nothing wrong with being that.;)

8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Right, nuthing wrong about it...
    But surely, no one would elect to wear that many wrinkles, forever.
    :p

How am I doing with the convincing, an all?
    Hey, you didn'ty answer the question!!
    Sneaky...

9. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    ^ [face_laugh] I can be sneaky at times specially when witting[face_mischief] but to answer your question: I'm not worried much since I never seem to age![face_batting]:p...I'm being serious! and no I'm not convinced even though you have a solid argument.

EDIT: I'm bad spelling!8-}

10. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I still get carded when I buy milk.
    Even with a goatee.

11. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    must be the Goatee![face_thinking]

now back to the Topic!:D

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Right.
    So if you were in the GFFA and were given the choice, old & crinkled or young, supple & smooth?
    [face_alien_1]

13. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
  14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Validation.

Anakin was rewarded with youth in the afterlife after 20 years of murder and mayhem.
    Otherside of the coin, Kenobi and Yoda were punished in the afterlife with decrepit, old age...

15. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Anakin doesn't need to be rewarded. He looks young now because he gets to do what he wants because he's the freakin chosen one, mere mortals! Haha! Yes, he can creepily glare off in the distance and there's nothing you can do but smile and wave and remember that these are crazy imaginary ghost people. And the force is a bunch of hooey. I want to be an ewok now.

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I know! He looks po'd just to be standing there with them!!

17. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Half of the reason why I consider it to be 'transitional'. One cannot really say what direction regarding Anakin's age Lucas was going for with that movie.

How many irrelevancies or non-sequiturs can dance on a pin? As though Obi-Wan 'merging with the force' changes my point*.

*Obi-Wan's ghost doesn't 'show' an Obi-Wan who 'never died' ...it's a ghost. A ghost is a representation of....someone who died. [face_shhh]

There's supposed to be a point in the above post, but all I'm seeing is kabuki theater.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Nor does it show an Obi-Wan who never lived. Meanwhile, Shaw's ghost shows an Anakin who never existed.

Not if you could thatch a roof with it.

[image=http://www.filebuzz.com/software_screenshot/full/9252-Point_Hunt.jpg]

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    He existed to Lucas at one point.

20. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

I'd be lying if I said I understood that... [face_hypnotized]

21. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Yeah, technically Anakin never lived in that form - when he was at the age the Shaw ghost is supposed to portray, he was largely bionic, and almost never as happy as the ghost looks.

But I stand by my interpretation of the meaning of ghosts as 'souls.' They are the 'immaterial' parts of a person, having been separated from the physical body - or the whole physical plane of existence - at death. Even if Anakin's soul was burned at Mustafar along with his body, it certainly seems that part of the point of the storyline was that it was revived through contact with his son - he returned to the 'good side.'

There are depictions of ghosts that are sickly, damaged, etc. But I suspect (pure speculation at this point) that many of these are the types of ghosts that exist because they have 'unfinished business' in the material realm. The ghosts in The Sixth Sense, which immediately came to mind, are good examples. But I think the Jedi ghosts exist not because they have that sort of unfinished business but because they lived and/or finished their lives 'properly.'

Because arguments can be made for ghosts looking damaged, this isn't the whole reason I prefer the Shaw ghost. But that, along with 'Anakin appearing as an older man shows the passage of time, and all it connotes,' as well as simple nostalgia, amount to what I consider a pretty reasonable viewpoint.

22. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    So Vader blade never made contact with Obi-Wan?
    So that means Obi-Wan never died? And that he is in fact a living Force-ghost?

No this reasoning goes against the movies logic. Of the four people that become Force-ghosts, fully or in part, we have;
    Qui-Gon, died, left a body that was burned and later joined the Force.
    Anakin, died, left a body that was burned and later joined the Force.
    Yoda, died, then his body vanished and he became one with the Force.
    Obi-Wan???
    Either he was killed by Vaders lightsaber, then his body disapeared and he became one with the Force or, according to you, he never died at all.
    Even IN the movie Kenobi says "If you should strike me down.." But apparently Vader never did.

If Vader did indeed kill Obi-Wan then it matches with the others. If Obi-Wan never did die then that goes totally against what happened with the others.

Regards
    Nordom

23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    "Anakin, died, left a body that was burned and later joined the Force. "

I'm pretty sure an official statement has been made saying that Luke burned the armour, not the body ;)

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    IMO it doesn't get any more official than Lucas stating that Luke burned Anakin's body on the DVD commentary.
    ( In the TPM commentary he also equates Qui-Gon's Jedi funeral with Anakin's, which doesn't really work if Luke is merely disposing of some Sith armor. )

You imply a dichotomy where none exists. Obi-Wan's Force ghost is no more or less living than any other.

Obi-Wan merged with the Force.

25. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Holy double-negative CLASH , Batman!

Yeah, Halibut. You know better. [face_shame_on_you] It's "official"...until Lucas changes his mind again.

Then why quibble over whether he actually died or not? [face_thinking]